Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Birth of Destruction

Go down

The Birth of Destruction Empty The Birth of Destruction

Post by EShadowsong Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:18 pm

Chapter 1: The Crimson Mist

The usually gleeful call of the forests, the sounds of the nocturnal animals foraging for food and the sometimes nearly silent chirping of birds was all but silent. A night masked further by darkness than most despite the light of Elune shining down. The air was stale and dry, devouring what light it could as it sent mists along the ground to conceal the hushed footsteps of a strange traveler.

Dark intent had taken control of what had been an otherwise peaceful night as dark red eyes loomed along the forest line just beyond Suramar. The nearly inaudible sounds of claws scratching the surface of tree and rock, teeth grinding bitterly against themselves, or the hollow growl of something that did not belong on this world echoed. The faint shimmer of what light could escape the night periodically reflected off armor or weapon, piercing off into the night into what distant blackness it could find. The scent of blood spread itself as a cool chilling breeze flowed from the forest on its way into the city.

Shadows moved within the mists and drowned beneath them the muffled cries of those unfortunate enough to find themselves at the forests edge. A timely demise was their fate, victims and rewards to the first thing that could reach them. The cracking of bones, splitting of sinew, was only sound reserved for the most greedy that absconded with their play thing towards the back of the ranks. Their numbers were enough that to have a few distracted by the desire to taste flesh was acceptable.

A Kaldorei woman quickly wrested herself awake amidst a rather vivid dream. She paused for a moment as her eyes were drawn to the creepy darkness beside her window. Could the dream have been true? Was Elune sending her a message? The feeling of uneasiness crept through her mind as it sent chills down her nerves at the simple thought of her dream coming to fruition. As she starred outside the dream erupted once more in front of her as the darkness receded and the brilliant rays of a blood-soaked sun lent their gaze to Suramar. No longer a capital to the noble race of Kaldorei, but a shattered ruin twisted with fel energies.

Walking to the window the woman gazed out at what had once been the homes of her neighbors, now reduced to nothing more than their frames. Tainted black vines had wrapped their way along any structure left that extended beyond a ground soaked in blood. A fel tainted growth of unfamiliar weeds thrived amongst the cleanly stripped bones of her brethren. Weapons, armor, shields, and tools all lay strewn amongst the streets that were once only flooded with the footsteps and cheerful laughter of children.

Immediately the woman stepped back and let out a faint and muffled scream. She fell to her knees breathing heavily as her eyes watered, horrified by the vision that was forced into her mind. Quickly a man began to rustle in their bed, lifted himself onto his right arm as his eyes struggled to open. “Shal’nora,” he spoke softly, the sound of exhaustion laced his words, “was it” the faint sound of a yawn escaped his lips midsentence, “another vision?”

Shal’nora lifted her head from her hands and wiped the tears from her eyes before they could fall down her cheek. Turning her head slightly she responded, “Yes my love, it was—it was the same vision as before. This time though, the first time, I saw it whilst awake.” Her gaze once more returned to the window. “I fear what may soon befall Suramar.”

The man lowered himself back onto his side and rolled slowly onto his back. He starred up at the intricate wood carvings on the ceiling. “You shouldn’t worry,” his voice was firmer now as he seemed to be grasping the ability to stay awake, “Queen Azshara would never forsake us.”

The woman quickly stood to her feet and turned to the bed, her tone had sounded off with a level of disdain at the words, “She may live in her palace, but I serve only Elune. Th...” A sound quickly disturbed Shal’nora as she turned her gaze towards the window. For a moment she stood there as if time had frozen around her. Gently each of her ears twitched as if the resonation of sounds around her were guiding her to an answer. “Zarion… get Elzarna.”

The mists had surrounded the capital city of Suramar and led a trail throughout the streets. The growing sound of unrest could be heard bellowing from those who remained hidden in the shadows. Any Kaldorei not within the limits of the city had been handily disposed of and no longer was there any to hunt without orders. Disconcerted mumblings began to draw a darker hunger as the thirst to satisfy their selfish desires had grown. They had been promised they could please themselves in any matter they saw fit, that to take the flesh of the Kaldorei, those not of the Highborne, in any matter they could imagine.

Finally, before the ranks had nearly begun to fall into desertion and break as a single creature felt his needs should be met above standing orders could act, the last of Elune’s light was blocked. A foul darkness bathed the city in a faint crimson hue reflecting amongst the growing mists. The sound of claws tearing their way through ground and rock rose from beneath moving shadows as they crept into the city.

Most were ordered for simple missions, appropriate for the likes that possessed less intelligence. Their feral instinct made them invaluable as mindless pawns to place in the path of harm. To dull to even notice injuries before they became fatal, they served as a moving wall of protection for those capable of controlling them. Those that had attained more enlightened status in the ranks were given specific orders to follow, with specific sites or buildings that needed to be patrolled. Only the most important of tasks were reserved for the upper echelon to complete in coordination with sleeper agents placed through the city. Moving in near complete silence, masked by the crimson mist, the shadows marched into the city.

EShadowsong

Back to top Go down

The Birth of Destruction Empty Re: The Birth of Destruction

Post by EShadowsong Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:28 pm

Chapter 2: A Heroic Death

Shal’nora sat on the floor next to their wall, pulling violently at a vent grate. Moving swiftly through the house, Zarion rushed back with young girl still wrapped in the sheets of her bed. The child stirred only slightly, battling the thralls of slumber from which she had been rudely taken. Zarion looked down upon the child’s face, “Wakeup Elzarna, your mother has made special request to have you wake at this hour.” Rushing to his wife’s side, Zarion laid the girl on the floor at her mother’s feet. “What are you doing Shal’nora? Why are you…” He was cutoff as Shal’nora ripped the grate free of the wall and dropped it at her side with a loud metallic clang. Shal’nora quickly looked up to Zarion; the tears had clouded her eyes as they streamed down her face. “Elzarna must remain safe my love, for I fear we will not survive this night.”

Shal’nora twisted to her right, ripping Elzarna from the ground as she threw the blanket to flutter off in the distance. Standing Elzarna up, the child rubbed her eyes as she let out sleepy yawn. Shal’nora wrapped her arms around her daughter, crying, “I… I will miss you my dear. Never forget that we… we are Shadowsong.” Shal’Nora looked back at Zarion, offering a smile before looking back to their child. Shal’nora pulled Elzarna’s head up, gently kissing her right cheek before lifting her own right hand. A bright light began to glow in Shal’nora’s hand. It flickered, sending shadows dancing on the walls in the pitch blackness and crackled like a fresh log on the fire. Slowly the light converged, turning into a small orb at the tip of her index finger. Gently Shal’nora reached out and tapped Elzarna’s forehead; the light surged into Elzarna, illuminating her eyes with the full light of Elune before succeeding back to the darkness.

Elzarna brought up her hands, wrapping them around Shal’nora’s right hand. “M—mommy? Wh—what is happening? Why did you do that?” Shal’nora simply looked back at Elzarna, smiling the best she could, “I… left a piece of myself in your mind dear. I’m afraid that mommy will have to go soon. So please, crawl into the vent and no matter what happens, no matter what you hear, do not look and do not come out.” Shal’nora pointed to the vent which she had just ripped the grate from, motioning for Elzarna to climb inside.

A mixture of sadness and confusion marred Elzarna’s face as she questioned what was happening. Shal’nora simply pulled her right hand free and caressed Elzarna’s left cheek. “My dear, please just trust me. I do not want to see anything happen to you.” Giving Elzarna a push, Shal’nora emphasized the urgency of hiding herself. As they spoke, Zarion walked up behind Shal’nora and placed his right hand on her left shoulder. Smiling down at Elzarna, he spoke in a deep authoritative voice, “Elzarna, listen to your mother. You need to hide and not come out.” Elzarna let out a sniffle, rubbing her left arm beneath her nose before nodding. Dropping to her knees she carefully climbed into the vent before Shal’nora replaced the grate.

Screams that attempted to escape into the blood thirsty night were muffled by the even louder grunts of the demons bringing them forth. The clashing of weapon on weapon rang out as those who could stand fought for their lives. Those unfortunate enough to find themselves unarmed or out matched quickly began to succumb to the vicious attacks of their enemies. What had begun as a silent attack had now devolved into chaos. Houses rattled as the charging march took down Kaldorei after Kaldorei and trampled the shattered remains of homes beneath their feet. Flames licked towards the skies like selfish children lapping their tongues for a taste of food. The fire, rising as if to defy Elune herself, roared out with the gleeful joy of consuming life. Still, the red mist grew thicker, spreading itself throughout the city.

Despite a night filled with horrors and darkness, an even more malevolent presence kept itself concealed as it watched the destruction. Staying nearly invisible amongst the red mist, it coiled around itself the pure blackness which not even demons could attain. Slowly it moved, leaving a trail of desecration in its wake as not even the flames could survive the void of its body. A wake of such destruction is hard to mask and it was not even the most observant of the demons that picked the trail. Whatever the demon found lurking in the shadows had already determined the demons presence. A pair of blood red eyes illuminated within the swirling darkness as the demons experienced their first causality.

The army had already progressed far into the city, spreading their destruction like a rising tide. As the grunts of the army carried out their efforts within acceptable degree, the upper echelon had already mobilized and dealt with multiple high priority targets. These were the Felguards, massive armored demons armed with vicious fel weapons. Each had been entrusted with a list, a guide brought to them by sleeper agents within Suramar. Targets that required more than a simple swing of an axe to kill were dealt with by their sword. Outside of the Shadowsong residence one of the Felguard stood as he prepared.

Watching, the malevolent presence had also arrived at the Shadowsong house having already made its own meal of several demons in its path. Flowing swiftly in nothing more than a swirl of darkened shadows it penetrated the Shadowsong house and crawled along the darkness of the ceiling till it found its target. Outside, the Felguard swung sword forward viciously into the door, sending it splintering in hundreds of shards to the ground. Before the damaged wood could touch the ground a tremendous blast of holy energy illuminated the entire house like a beacon as it blasted into the Felguard. With such brutal force, the Felguard was sent destructively through the wall and against the next house.

The cries of a Priestess of Elune rang out as the blinding light gave way to the flowing darkness of the night. Two small orbs glowing within Shal’Nora’s hands stayed illuminated to spread a small portion of light to their world. Tears had streamed down her face as Zarion stood imposingly before his wife, a simple sword in hand. Shifting beneath the crumbled rubble from the attack, the Felguard made its way back onto its feet. The armor on its chest had been badly burnt by the magnitude of the holy attack and lashings bled along its arms and face.

As Shal’Nora prepared another attack, the darkness that had made its way to the ceiling flowed down and swirled around Zarion’s body. Dropping to his knees, Zarion let out a horrific scream as he clawed at his throat and chest. The shadows moved without pause, consuming his body and flowing into him and as Shal’Nora moved to help him the shadows surged from beneath her and bound her arms to her side. The Felguard was still in the process of regaining balance as Zarion turned to face Shal’Nora. “Dear… dear wife… It seems that the time for my deal has come.”

Shal’Nora struggled, letting bolts of holy energy jump through her body as she tried to escape. “You, you’re not Zarion! Who are you… what are you! What did you do to him!” Despite her best efforts, the darkness seemed to take little effect from the flowing holy energy. Instead Zarion walked closer to her, starring deeply into her eyes as his own eyes changed. Blackness began to bleed from the corners as it consumed the natural glowing white. Lifting a finger, Zarion placed it beneath Shal’Nora’s chin to raise her gaze. “Who am I? I am a Duskwalker… I no longer have a need to slum it with a Priestess of Elune. I’ve made a deal that in return for your life, I will be allowed to return to my Highborne heritage. My Queen will allow me to join her army as we usher in a new age for this world.”

Having regained its footing, the Felguard moved forward and Zarion turned to face it, leaving Shal’Nora bound. “Demon, she’s ready. I am Zarion Duskwalker… a sleeper agent here in service under Queen Azshara.” The Felguard nodded and walked over towards Shal’Nora as its blade ignited with fel flames. Turning her head, Shal’Nora looked at Zarion, “I don’t know who you are, but you’re not my husband! And somehow, someday, someone will make you pay f—“ Her word were silenced as the Felguard plunged its sword straight through Shal’Nora’s chest. The shadowy tendrils which had restrained her slowly receeded as her body hung on the sword. Bringing her hands up, Shal’Nora placed them on the blade and let out what little holy energy she had against the fel flames.

With a sickening laugh, a derisive and hateful tone, Zarion walked up and wrapped his right hand around Shal’Nora’s neck. “Insolent to the end, I can see why your life would earn me trade into the court of my Queen. Surely any worthy Priestess of Elune would carry such honor.” A vicious holy light shone from Shal’Nora’s eyes as she starred at Zarion. Words did not need to be said as the pull of holy energy spoke for her thoughts. The darkness seeped from Zarion’s hands and around Shal’Nora’s neck as the malicious smile grew ever more sinister on his face. “Now now… none of that dear.” Twisting his hand, Zarion sent the nightmarish crack of her neck shattering through the halls of house. As he removed his hand from her neck, the Felguard lowered his blade and let Shal’Nora’s lifeless body fall to the ground.

EShadowsong

Back to top Go down

Post by EShadowsong Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:29 pm

Chapter 3: The Tears of a Child

Elzarna crawled into the vents and pulled herself deep into the shadows as Shal’Nora sealed her inside. Melding into the shadows, Elzarna lowered her ears to her head as tears began to roll down her face. To understand what was happening, to take it all in, there was nothing that she could think to understand the situation. Her mother and father had spoken in such serious tone, in such a manner that it seemed they expected something bad to happen. As the sound of their door being shattered and her mother’s attack echoed through the vent Elzarna’s curiosity peaked. Doing her best to stay quiet she crawled to the front of the gate to gaze out, reaching there just in time to witness her father attack her mother.

With eyes wide, watering, all Elzarna wanted to do was scream, to plea for her mother’s life, as the Felguard approached. Time seemed to slow down for a moment as the Felguard’s sword ripped through Shal’Nora’s chest. Letting out the slightest of squeaks, a high pitches shriek of terror, Elzarna threw her hands over her mouth to muffle any further cries. Tears streamed down her face, rolling over the knuckles on her hands as they pooled on the floor beneath her. Still, she did everything in her power to honor her mother’s last wish.

Her chest fluctuated, heavy breathing rang through her nose as the tears seemed unprepared to stop. Elzarna’s eyes remained fixated on her mother as she forced down another scream as the horrifying snap of her mother’s neck rang out terrifyingly amplified in the vents. Watching her mother’s body fall to the ground, Shal’Nora’s eyes pierced through the darkness at the vents as a small smile filled with sadness crossed her face. Elzarna mouthed, ‘Mother… no mother… please…’ but the words would not reach as Shal’Nora’s eyes dimmed to blackness. Unable to hold back, Elzarna let out a small whimper as she realized that her mother was truly gone.

Zarion’s ears twitched, picking up the faint sound of the child’s cries. Though he did not look back at the vent, the darkness could see and it picked up on her fear. A crude smile showed itself on Zarion’s face as he ordered the Felguard from the home and back onto the streets. Elzarna watched carefully, waiting for them to leave the home before she began to bang against the grate trying to free herself. She didn’t care anymore, didn’t care about making more noise that might alert any of the demons around her, she had to get out. With a loud clang, the grate fell to the ground sending a cloud of dust into the air. Clawing forward, Elzarna darted out of the grate and over to her mother.

Kneeling beside Shal’Nora, Elzarna picked up her mother’s head and placed it down into her lap. Tears continued to fall from Elzarna’s eyes, dripping onto her mother’s face as the louder cries could not be held back. Sobbing violently, Elzarna began to run her fingers through her mother’s hair as she called out. “Mommy… mommy please tell me you’re sleeping. You, you can’t be dead mommy. I need you… I… I can’t lose you mommy… so please be alright.” Getting no response, Elzarna resorted to shaking her mother’s corpse, pushing it as if to wake her from a deep sleep. “Mommy please! This isn’t funny anymore mommy… I… I can’t be alone… Please… please just, don’t leave me… MOMMY!!! MOMMY!!! ….mommy?” Upon receiving no answer, Elzarna lifted her mother’s head and laid it back on the ground. Walking around to the other side, she lifted Shal’Nora’s arm and crawled beneath drapping the arm around her own neck. Then Elzarna fell asleep, curled in the warmth of her mother’s arms one last time.

As a night filled with nothing but death and destruction passed, a morning sun shed light on the devastation left in the wake. Illuminating the patches of blood strewn across the landscape left by those brave enough to attempt to protect their home from the demonic horde. Armor, weapons, and the unconsumed bodies of the fallen were left as a horrid marker of the power that the demons wielded. Homes were left destroyed as the last flickers of the flames lit to them began to flicker out. An ominous chilling feeling took to the air as an eerie silence had blanketed the fallen city of Suramar.

The first rays of sunlight that could pierce the Shadowsong residence fell upon the face of a sleeping child. Elzarna, stirred by the glowing sunlight, woke hoping to find that events she witnessed were nothing but a nightmare. Instead she awoke in the frozen grasp of her mother whose body had become as cold as ice. Struggling to free herself, Elzarna could not so much as cry or scream at the horrors. Shocked from the entire ordeal, Elzarna simply left. Leaving the home, leaving the memories, as if she were some sort of zombie. As she left her front door, Elzarna raised her hands to shield her eyes from the sunlight that she thought she would never see again.

A warm feeling overtook her body quickly, a fuzziness in her chest. Looking down, her senses had so shut out the world that she did not even realized what around. Lifting her hand, she touched the object, a point that left a sliver of blood on her finger. Suddenly she felt herself lifted off the ground as she noticed the drippings of blood at her feet. One of the last left to clean out the cities, a demon had found her and run its blade straight through her back and out her chest. Swinging the blade, Elzarna flew off the end and slammed into the side of a building before falling to the ground like a ragdoll.

Her vision began to blur, the thumping of her heart had slowed and her vision showed nothing but a flow of blood onto the ground. Approaching her, the demon let out a vicious snarl as it lowered its jaws to taste her flesh. Elzarna tightened her eyes, muttering to herself about rejoining her mother as the world around her went black. The snarls of the demon slowly began to fade as an unusual sound rang into Elzarna’s ears, the sound of a demon in pain. Too weak to notice, the world fell to silence, to emptiness, matching the darkness of her vision.

The world around me was dark… quiet… but was I dead? This did not feel like death, it felt, like emptiness. There was nothing but cold in this place, a chilling breeze yet it seemed as if I was merely afloat with nowhere to travel. Wherever I looked there was nothing but the pitch black of this place and no sounds echoed around me. Even when I tried to speak it came out as silence. No… I do not think this is death… I just wish my mother were here to hold me… I just wish I was strong enough that I could save her. Instead I guess this is my punishment, left to drift lifelessly through the void.

EShadowsong

Back to top Go down

Post by EShadowsong Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:24 pm

Chapter 4: Ascension of Darkness

Inside a small relief tent, cots lining the ground, the bodies recovered from the battle in Suramar laid awaiting repair. Survivors were few but those lucky enough to escape or to be found on the outskirts of the city were brought here in hopes that Elune would have mercy. The Priestesses worked tirelessly to bring the light of their mother to heal their fallen brethren. Most of those inside had not survived through the morning, their wound grievous, and the cots slowly emptied as the burden of more graves fell upon the survivors.

In a whirlwind of fury, a man reached the small encampment carrying a small child in his arms. His gaze continually fell to the child, shaking her to be sure that she had not yet died in his arms. The man called to her, reassuringly, “Youngling, the light of Elune has still not left your body. Please try to hold on, we are almost there. They will heal you, Elune has seen fit that you survived that horrific night.” As the man reached the tent, he called in a feverish plea, “We need help! This child, she has suffered severe wounds! She needs attention right away!”

Without hesitation the nearest Priestess spun on her heals and reached over the cot to take the child from the man. Placing her down quickly, the Priestess called out a prayer to Elune, “Elune, goddess of the moon, please hear my humble plea. Give me the power to save one of your smallest children, bestow unto me the power to repair the wounds before the fury of wrath claims another life.” Passing her hands over the child’s body, the will of Elune flowed through her body and worked quickly to bestow the gift of life.

From within the darkness I could feel a warmth and though they were muffled and incoherent, I thought I could hear voices. In what seemed like the far off distance, a sparkle of light appeared, flashing for only a moment before the darkness began to pull it into the oblivion is created. I began to move towards where I saw the light, at least I was making an attempt as it was hard to tell if direction could be used here. As hard as I tried it seemed as if the twinkle of light never drew closer before it was snuffed out by the darkness.

The expression on the Priestess’ face slowly began to dip into fear and desperation. Despite the holy light of Elune flowing into the child’s body she could feel her heartbeat slowly fading. “She’s fading! Please, we need to save her… she’s… she’s just a child!” The Priestess looked around frantically calling in any of the other Priestess who could be used. The gathered around the child and all began to channel the holy power of Elune into her body.

There was another sudden bright flash of light but the darkness seemed to consume it faster than the previous time. Though this time, a faint glimmer of the light remained, fighting back the darkness that was pushing it down into oblivion. Out of nowhere I heard them, I heard voices, I heard other Kaldorei calling out but the words still seemed too muffled to be coherent. Was I, were they saving me? I tried to call back to them but my voice fell muted into the darkness.

That was when I felt it, an ominous feeling of malevolence. Something else was there in the darkness, watching, waiting, and it felt like it was piercing my very being with its gaze. With a monstrous howl, a roar that could only be described as the thing that brought nightmares, a glowing pair of red flaming eyes opened in the darkness and set upon me. This feeling, a feeling of absolute terror, was unlike any I had ever felt in my life. It was enough to even dwarf the fear of watching my mother die.

It called out to me, “Yes… you will do fine. Now child, it is time that we make some modifications to your memories. Do not fear though child, I am here for you, I will guide you, I will protect you. I am, and will be from now on, your only friend.” Letting out a vicious laugh, the sparkling light in the distance blackness erupted out in all directions and consumed me.

“She’s coming to! Quickly, get some water!” A voice echoed as the child slowly began to open her eyes. She waved her hands, trying to make sense of the shadows that danced in her vision as the hustled rush of feet echoed. Then, all at once, her eyes opened wide and she took a breathe so deep it seemed as if it were her first. Choking, a woman quickly pressed a glass of water to her lips and tilted it so the waters would flow into her mouth. The child took a few quick gulps before coughing and spitting a portion of the water. The woman quickly picked her up off the cot and pressed the child’s head into her shoulder as she patted her back. “It’s going to be alright, Elune has returned you to this world.”

The man that carried the child slowly approached the Priestess as the child stabilized. They laid her down onto the cot as she looked around confused. “Wh—“ she choked slightly, “Where am I… t-this isn’t Suramar.” The Priestess lowered her head, letting her gaze drift to the side of the cot as she remained silent. Tightening his fist, the man looked down at the child, a sorrow in his eyes. “Suramar… has fallen.” The child’s lower lip quivered as tears welled up in her eyes, slowly drifting a path down her cheeks. “They’re dead… aren’t they? My parents, my friends, everyone?”

Looking up at the man, the Priestess did not have the words to say to comfort the child and he simply shook his head in silence. Reaching out a hand, he placed it on the child’s shoulder, “You were the only survivor I saw left. Honestly I thought that you were dead the way you were laying on the ground. Tell me child, do you have a name?” She nodded, “Y-yes… I’m Elzarna, Elzarna Shadowsong.” The man offered a gentle smile, kneeling down next to the child. “It’s nice to meet you Elzarna, I am Tichondous ?, I found you laying out in the streets. I must say I am quite impressed child, how exactly did you kill those demons?”

Elzarna looked up at the man, confusion growing across her face. With a timid voice, she asked, “What demons?” Tichondous starred at her for a few moments, gauging if she really had known about what happened or not. After deciding his answer from her expression, he let out a sigh. “When I found you, there were four demon bodies, all slain, surrounding you. The three were just lesser demons, probably light infantry, but the impressive one was the Felguard. The Felguard was sliced clean in half and when I found you, you were holding his sword.”

Elzarna’s face slowly began to change from confused to shocked, her lower lip trembled. “I… I killed them? But… I don’t remember any of that.” Leaning forward, Tichondous placed his hand on her shoulder, “That’s fine, but tell me, what can you remember?” Elzarna bit her lower lip, lowering her head as she starred into her hands. “All I remember is watching my parents murdered. But it wasn’t by demons… it was a Kaldorei woman, named Nysela.” Elzarna tightened her fist, narrowed her eyes, and her voice became more forceful, “And I’m going to do whatever it takes to have my revenge on her.”

The End

EShadowsong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down