Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wulong's Deadly Lotus School of Martial Arts

+8
erwtenpeller
Muzjhath
Phaedria
Feng-Huang
Skarain
Feydor
Zalissa
Thelos
12 posters

Go down

Wulong's Deadly Lotus School of Martial Arts Empty Wulong's Deadly Lotus School of Martial Arts

Post by Thelos Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:24 pm

obligatory:

Are you Wily like the Serpent?

Can you Kick it like the Crane?

Can you Drink like an Ox?

Do you have the Eye of the Tiger?

Do you want to learn how to PUNCH trough a BRICK WALL?!

Then sign up for a free starter lesson with Wulong's Deadly Lotus school of Martial Arts and learn how to brawl like the Pandaren – if you've got the guts for it!

---

Introduction

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now that pandaren are slowly getting more integrated into the World of Warcraft, I feel like it is high time to kick Monk role-play into overdrive with some good old fashioned student-and-teacher role-play!

Nothing quite lends itself so well to teacher-student role-play as the martial arts with its rich history of tropes. Expect to wax it on and off, to carry jugs of ale up an endless flight of stairs, to punch against bamboo trees until your knuckles bleed and to climb steep cliffs in search of that ancient Pandaren monk that mastered an obscure technique that may or may not even exist!

Wulong's Deadly Lotus school offers basic and advanced martial arts training for everyone that has a passion for the martial arts; which would be the only recruitment. Even scrawny and studious mages are welcome to train with us. We don't care if you're the Lord of Darkness, Conquer of the Stormwind Orphanage; if you like punching and kicking, you're welcome to spar with us!

To re-iterate: you don't have to be a monk or a Pandaren to enjoy martial arts training. Anyone is welcome!

So don those akidos, wrap your fists in bandage and tie a bandana around your head, because it's time to get down and dirty with kicks and flips!

---

The Four Pillars of Pandaren Martial Arts

Pandaren martial arts know four main schools, each dedicated and inspired on one of the August Celestials. Three of them are represented by Monk specilizations and one of them is not (Crane), though it the class does have abilities from that school (Spinning Crane Kick). Each of these forms take a lifetime of dedication to master and, as such, no mortal man can be expected to be a master of them all. I will take a short look at each of the four main schools.

Fierce Tiger Style

The Fierce Tiger Style is inspired on the Celestial of Might, Xuen, who protects the North. The temple dedicated to this school is the White Tiger Temple in Kun Lai Summit. The Tiger school is all about swift, brutal and energetic attacks, never letting up and burying your opponent under a flurry of blows without giving them a chance to recover.

Wise Serpent Style

The Wise Serpent Style is inspired on the Celestial of Wisdom, Yu'lon, who protects the East. The temple dedicated to this school is the Jade Serpent Temple in the Jade Forest. The Serpent Style is perhaps best known for Mistweaving; the art to heal wounds trough gathering and channeling mystical mists. Yet, only a fool would underestimate the combat proficiency of healers; their expert knowledge of anatomy gives the Serpent Style monks deadly accuracy and allows them to strike pressure points to disable and paralyze their foes. In a fight, the Serpent Style is all about coiling up and awaiting the right moment; then striking at pressure points to lock the opponent down.

Balanced Crane Style

The Balanced Crane Style is inspired on the Celestial of Hope, Chi-ji, who protects the South. The temples dedicated to this school are the Temple of the Red Crane and the Cradle of Chi-ji in the Krasarang Wilds. Not much known about the Crane school; though we can puzzle together bits and pieces of it trough examining in-game spells and comparing it to the Crane school that exists in real life. The Crane Style is all about balance and grace; to the untrained eye, a Crane master might resemble a dancer more than a fighter.

Sturdy Ox Style
C-c-c-c-ombo breaker! (I couldn't find an image for Ox style in the aforesaid series)

The Sturdy Ox Style is inpired on the Celestial of Courage, Niuzao, who protects the West. The temple dedicated to this school is Niuzao Temple in the Townlong Steppes. The Ox Style is all about grounded footing; the Ox must be stubborn and unmovable. An Ox must be able to soak and take hits like a champ without budging an inch.

Chi

Every style of Pandaren martial arts utilizes a form of energy called Chi. Many players have speculated that Chi might just be another word for the Light, or for some form of Arcane energies; for the purpose of this thread and to protect the uniqueness of Monks in general I will consider Chi its very own thing, unrelated to anything else in the World of Warcraft.

Chi, roughly said, is life-force. It is the energy that flows trough your body and makes you move. Chi is as much of a spiritual force as it is a physical force: it is a bodily power, build up by years of practising and drilling. Many of the attacks in of the Pandaren schools of martial arts channel this force to empower their Kung Fu; in fact, one might argue that the martial arts in themselves are the art of building and channeling your Chi. To recover your Chi, you don't munch on mana-crystals; you eat food and drink beverages and get lots of rest.

---

Wulong's Deadly Lotus School of Martial Arts

So how is this going to work in practise?

Simple.

You let me know that you are interested in this kind of role-play by posting in this thread or notifying me in-game and we can get started. There is a myriad of excellent locations we can use in Pandaria, from the Four Celestial Temples, to the Peak of Serenity and Tian Monestary. If you don't feel much like traveling, the School could come to you, too. The martial arts can be practiced anywhere and with anyone. You can be a teacher, a student or anything in between!

Practitioners of the martial arts will be divided into their respective level and ranked by their level. The levels are as follows:

• No Sash – A novice, just beginning his journey in the Martial Arts!
  • Yellow Sash – Earned a yellow belt in one of the four schools.
  • Green Sash - Earned a green belt in one of the four schools.
  • Red Sash – Earned a red sash in one of the four schools.
  • Brown Sash – A master of their respective school.

Below follows a list of teachers and students filed by school and ranked by sash.

Fierce Tiger School

Wise Serpent School
  • Paozi Wulong – Brown Belt.

Balanced Crane Style

Sturdy Ox Style

---

That leaves us with a single question.

Can you kick it?

Can you kick it, Defias Broterhood?!

Yes you can!

Last edited by Pao on Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Wulong's Deadly Lotus School of Martial Arts Empty Re: Wulong's Deadly Lotus School of Martial Arts

Post by Zalissa Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:45 pm

(( this post... <3 ))
Zalissa
Zalissa

Character sheet
Name: Zalissa Sparrow
Title: The Pirate Princess

Back to top Go down

Wulong's Deadly Lotus School of Martial Arts Empty Re: Wulong's Deadly Lotus School of Martial Arts

Post by Feydor Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:06 pm

damn.. im so close to buying MOP and rolling a black human monk.. awesome post

Feydor
Feydor

Character sheet
Name: Theodore
Title: Grand Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by Skarain Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:42 pm

Do you have the Eye of the Tiger?

((Had to! Unfortunate of my leave, Skarain won't have a part Sad ))
Skarain
Skarain

Character sheet
Name: Skarain Feirand
Title: Mother of the Flame

Back to top Go down

Post by Feng-Huang Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:40 pm

Feng-Huang can tutor people in Mistweaving, as she is a teacher of Mistweaving.
Feng-Huang
Feng-Huang

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Phaedria Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:53 am

Yes,I believe that phae would find this an interesting learning experience to.. Socialize and pet these new strange tea and dumpling loving pandas! (And maybe sneak a hug in for good measure) if they would give ailien light wielders a chance
Phaedria
Phaedria

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Muzjhath Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:07 am

((Only thing missing is someone going to this thing. With a tiger eye going " 'ere's tha' Eye ya wanted. Wha' do I got fer it?"))
Muzjhath
Muzjhath

Character sheet
Name: Muzjhath Farstride
Title: Dead Varog'Gor

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:17 pm

Awesome.
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Seranita Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:46 pm

ohh this is cool could have some fun with this *giggle*
Seranita
Seranita

Character sheet
Name: Monrena
Title: Trainee Vindicator/engeneer

Back to top Go down

Post by Jormus Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:34 am

Jormus
Jormus

Location : Milliways, the Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Character sheet
Name: Jormus Darrowfell
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:36 am

This hasn't really gotten off the ground yet, but now that the Blooming Lotus is back in Pandaria, Paozi as well as many other Lotus monks are ready and willing to spar and train with any who are interested. Just give us a nudge in game! You can reach is trough the Pandaria, on our [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] or trough whispers in game.
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ezthele Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:08 pm

Oh! You can Count me in! As Uldaris, a fairly useless Wizard
Ezthele
Ezthele

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:35 pm

This has yet to come off the ground; I doubt it ever will.

I'm sorry - but if you are looking for Martial Arts instructors, I'm certain that there are other pandaren from the Blooming Lotus guild that would love to take you in.
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheecheebow Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:49 pm

This sounds like awesome quest!! My young Human monk, Kwaichee Bow, needs a Master if he is ever to become a Master himself and fulfill his dream of, one day, starting a guild/temple of monks near his home in the Eastern Kingdoms!! Hearing of a reluctant, hardcore old school Panderen Master Monk he sets off to become his student and learn the ways of the Panderen Monks!!

Don't try to find me, I don't want to miss the adventure in finding you! Smile
Cheecheebow
Cheecheebow

Character sheet
Name: Kwai Chee Bo
Title: Initiate of the Wulong's Deadly Lotus School of Martial Arts

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down