Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Pacific

+10
Ehrfürchtige Bennedict
Geldar
Guldujenu
Lavian
Lexius
Dharum
Ataris
Jayse
(Goggy) - Exilius
Gunnell
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The Pacific - Page 2 Empty Re: The Pacific

Post by Lavian Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:51 pm

Just finished watching part 7 and I must say I was amused in some form.

Spoiler:
Lavian
Lavian

Character sheet
Name: Lavian
Title: Dread Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Geldar Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:01 pm

Watched part 7 today, had some amusing spots on it. But what bugs me with this entire series is the whole killing of main charecters thing they have going on which is so strongly presented in the last couple of episodes.

Whilst comparing it with Band of Brothers i must say that this has around 40% of the epicness Band of Brothers had. You cannot make any connection with any charecters from the Pacific because most of them die/get taken out of action within the duration of two episodes.

And from a personal point of view, i dont like the whole dramatic concept of filming and showing people going batshit insane/crying during the war as that is what 70% of this series is all about AMG TEH HARD CHOICES. For reference check Band of Brothers where everything seemed more balanced, action, drama, charecter development and whatnot. This series just doesnt cut it for me. :l
Geldar
Geldar

Character sheet
Name: Geldar Angelos
Title: Justicar

Back to top Go down

Post by Ataris Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:05 pm

Think you summed it up great, Geldar. Better than me at least.

I think it just comes down to the fact that the events in BoB lent itself to a dramatic arc in a much better way than the events in Pacific.
Ataris
Ataris

Character sheet
Name: Ataris the Soulblighter
Title: Darkmaster of the Dark Sphere

Back to top Go down

Post by Geldar Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:13 pm

Yeah Ataris, whilst in BoB for instance in the episode at Bastone, they were fighting the harsh weather conditions, artillery and german units whilst incorporating a feeling of beeing left to cope on their own facing the SS, without supplies and reinforcements was pretty interesting to watch.

On the other side, whilst watching The Pacific, i get to see around ten people coping with explosive diahrea in a jungle whilst barely fighting any japs at all (lets face it thats what we watch it for, FIGHTING TEH JAPS!) and a entire episode devouted to a guy who pisses himself at night. The series is good, yeah. But it just doesnt cut it for me from the perspective that i aint watching this series to learn how fast you can de-hydrate from EXPLOSIVE diahrea/malaria/<insert random jungle descease>.

PS: Not to mention the whole 'unit' feel which Lexius spoke of, the fact you make a connection with the charecters and you actually sit infront of your TV/PC interested in seeing what will happen to them in this episode, while in this series you sit infront of your TV/PC wondering who will die horribly this time and be replaced/discarted by another lemming that will shortly die after he is introduced.
Geldar
Geldar

Character sheet
Name: Geldar Angelos
Title: Justicar

Back to top Go down

Post by Gnar Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:59 pm

Band of Brothers was based on the book by Stephen Ambrose which is accounts from the surviving members of the unit into the 1990s. Pacific is mostly based on the memoirs of two of the marines who are the focus of the series (Sledge and Leckie). The two series have a different tone and style just because the books they are based on are so different. Besides that, I personally think that some of the actors in Band of Brothers are much better cast and powerful.

Gnar

Back to top Go down

Post by Lini Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:17 pm

But yeah...Liked BoB, should probs watch The Pacific at some point.
Lini
Lini

Back to top Go down

Post by Lavian Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:10 pm

That was amusing and yeah I think I may check out BoB at some point. I love how Hans Zimmer did the music theme for the pacific though <3.

I love the feeling it gives of soldiers fighting for their homes.
Lavian
Lavian

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexius Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:42 pm

Gnar wrote:Band of Brothers was based on the book by Stephen Ambrose which is accounts from the surviving members of the unit into the 1990s. Pacific is mostly based on the memoirs of two of the marines who are the focus of the series (Sledge and Leckie). The two series have a different tone and style just because the books they are based on are so different. Besides that, I personally think that some of the actors in Band of Brothers are much better cast and powerful.

I guess this explains the differance a lot. With BoB they had the experience of a whole bunch of veterans to work with. With Pacific only two. It's not surprising the series will have a different feeling to it then.

However I still find Pacific interesting to watch. Although I suspect after watching Pacific entirely I will prefer BoB. Also I liked it with BoB that you saw the actual veterans sharing their experiences putting the series in context. It gave it a relealistic feel. But also showed the grim sides of war without glorifying it as it's often done. War is pointless.
Lexius
Lexius

Back to top Go down

Post by Lavian Mon May 03, 2010 2:18 pm

Finished watching Part 8.

Don't click on the spoiler tab if it doesn't want to be ruined etc:

Spoiler:
Lavian
Lavian

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Koroko Mon May 03, 2010 9:18 pm

I just watched part six.. to be honest, watching shows like these puts life into such a different perspective that it's hard to comprehend how my life is so far removed from someone my age in the 40s/50s

it's different from Private Ryan and BoB in that it's difficult to keep track of the characters (something that I don't personally mind, it's more about the setting and the history lesson for me) but I am beginning to like this Peaches(?) guy if I've got the nickname right :)

combined with Blitz Street (british tv documentary) on what it's like having your home/city bombed I tend to find myself too paralysed with awe and disbelief to really come away saying I've enjoyed what I've watched
Koroko
Koroko

http://defiaseu.wikia.com/wiki/Koroko_Nightwatcher

Back to top Go down

Post by Dharum Mon May 03, 2010 9:51 pm

Watched 7 episodes and enjoyed it really much so far. Might just be my preferance but I like pacific quite equally as BoB, it's new and different and has an interesting touch to Pacific war imo.

It's not BoB, and I prefer it that way :>
There never was similiar "Band of Brothers in arms" in Pacific. Hell most of the 1st Marines (which the main characters are in) were all killed in action, there were but few of the original starters left at the end of the war, I'd say this is represented quite well by dropping some of the "main" characters from time to time.
Dharum
Dharum

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Lavian Mon May 03, 2010 9:57 pm

I loved how they potrayed the historical characters of the pacific Threatre really.

But yeah watching the pacific and the war really puts life into a whole new perspective as I think this is one of the few rare shows that really make you think of how tremendously brutal the battle really was. I mean other war drama's have had war scenes in it before obviously but they've never delivered it to the pacific standards.
Lavian
Lavian

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Dharum Mon May 03, 2010 10:00 pm

Yeah, it's rare for me to feel anything specific when watching a TV show but Pacific sure brought up some thoughts.

Hell it's quite a miracle U.S Marines managed to do as well as they did, considering that before Pearl Harbor and the pacific threatre they had minimal combat expirience in tropical islands etc.
Dharum
Dharum

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum: