Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Pacific

+10
Ehrfürchtige Bennedict
Geldar
Guldujenu
Lavian
Lexius
Dharum
Ataris
Jayse
(Goggy) - Exilius
Gunnell
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Pacific Empty The Pacific

Post by Gunnell Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:45 am

The Pacific ThePacificIntertitle

The Pacific is a ten-part television World War II mini-series, produced by HBO, Seven Network Australia, Playtone and DreamWorks, that premiered in the United States on March 14, 2010.

Similar to the 2001 mini-series Band of Brothers, The Pacific focuses on the United States Marine Corps' actions in the Pacific Theater of Operations within the wider Pacific War.

The Pacific is based primarily on two memoirs of U.S. Marines, With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa by Eugene Sledge and Helmet for My Pillow by Robert Leckie. The series tells the stories of the two authors and Marine John Basilone, as the war against the Empire of Japan rages. It also draws on Sledge's China Marine and Red Blood, Black Sand, the memoir of Chuck Tatum, a Marine who fought alongside Basilone at Iwo Jima.

The series features well-known battles involving the 1st Marine Division, such as Guadalcanal, Cape Gloucester, Peleliu, and Okinawa, as well as Basilone's involvement in the Battle of Iwo Jima.

I've been looking forward to this for a while. I loved Band of Brothers so upon hearing they were making a second series (It doesn't share the name, but even the episode cards and introduction are the same) I got kiddy.

So there the first four episodes (of ten) have been shown, and it is on Sky Movies at 9pm everyday (UK) with a new episode on mondays. I prefer Band of Brothers myself, although hype naturally had an effect. Anyhow, I still reccomend checking it out.

Gunnell

Back to top Go down

The Pacific Empty Re: The Pacific

Post by (Goggy) - Exilius Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:57 am

Band of Brothers was a favourite series of mine, 2001 o,o I must've been hurm... around 10 when it aired in swedeland ;D
(Goggy) - Exilius
(Goggy) - Exilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Jayse Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:58 am

Yea watched it on SKY, it's good *nods*
Jayse
Jayse

Character sheet
Name: Jayse Ravenwest
Title: International Man of Mystery

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:18 am

Airing here now too. Don't follow it.

I FOLLOW SPARTACUS. Blood and titties. roar.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ataris Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:16 am

IMO it's not anywhere near as good as BoB was. Then again we're not all the way through yet, so maybe it'll pick up and get better.
Ataris
Ataris

Character sheet
Name: Ataris the Soulblighter
Title: Darkmaster of the Dark Sphere

Back to top Go down

Post by Dharum Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:19 am

Should get in to watching Pacific soon, shamefully downloadadn as I write but they would air it here in Finland only during autumn and then I'd miss it due to army time for myself, also just finished Spartacus Bluud and Titties, which was allright though far from the level of Rome.

Certainly looking forward to the next season though, with more overblown gore and more titties and epicness.

Band of Brothers is one of my all time favourites <3

Eagerly waiting for HBO's Game of Thrones too. :3
Dharum
Dharum

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexius Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:08 pm

Band of Brothers is a good series. We got them on dvd. I am trying to follow the pacific on dutch tv. But the commercials in between annoy me.

So far though I prefer Band of Brothers and the men of the 101st airborne.
Lexius
Lexius

Back to top Go down

Post by Lavian Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:11 pm

Up to part 4 on The Pacific, never seen band of brothers and I am enjoying this so far.
Lavian
Lavian

Character sheet
Name: Lavian
Title: Dread Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guldujenu Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:37 pm

I've watched all parts that have aired so far. ME LIKES.

Band of Brothers was awesome. Only reason i decided to watch this. I don't usually like american made stuff about wars, but these were gud.
Guldujenu
Guldujenu

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Geldar Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:53 pm

Great series, as great as Band of Brothers even though i liked Band of Brothers more. Tom Hanks has done a masterful job directing this series. PEAAAACHES!1one
Geldar
Geldar

Character sheet
Name: Geldar Angelos
Title: Justicar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:57 pm

Not my kind of movie. Neutral

Back to top Go down

Post by Guldujenu Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:05 pm

Vargosh/Trave/Thandros wrote:Not my kind of movie. Neutral

It's not a movie.
Guldujenu
Guldujenu

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:21 pm

Guldujenu wrote:
Vargosh/Trave/Thandros wrote:Not my kind of movie. Neutral

It's not a movie.

Tell me how that changes the theme. Neutral

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:38 pm

Because if it were a movie, it would have lasted 3 hours max, now you'll be stuck in your chair MUCH longer. Which would be annoying if you didn't really like it.

Thank him, he saved you a lot of boredom, should you have gone out and rented this.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ehrfürchtige Bennedict Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:11 pm

I am getting moist here by watching these trailers and teasers from WW2..

I love playing Company of Heroes which is a RTS game playing out in that time.

Where can I see it in high quality on the net?!?!?!
Ehrfürchtige Bennedict
Ehrfürchtige Bennedict

Character sheet
Name: Bennedict Omarosand
Title: Sir, Disciple of Light

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:29 pm

Being on part 5, what I currently miss is the character depth that Band of Brothers had. Pacific feels more focused around a few individuals rather than the whole company. In BoB, you had a fairly good idea on at least who 10-20 of the men were and how long they had been around.

In BoB, I felt that 'sympathy' with the soldiers involved because you had followed -many- of them quite closely, and when one of them died it was a loss. I don't feel that in Pacific.

Good series, worth watching - Just not BoB incarnate.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ehrfürchtige Bennedict Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:44 pm

Andrek wrote:Being on part 5, what I currently miss is the character depth that Band of Brothers had. Pacific feels more focused around a few individuals rather than the whole company. In BoB, you had a fairly good idea on at least who 10-20 of the men were and how long they had been around.

In BoB, I felt that 'sympathy' with the soldiers involved because you had followed -many- of them quite closely, and when one of them died it was a loss. I don't feel that in Pacific.

Good series, worth watching - Just not BoB incarnate.

Spot on, gives you more "feelings" towards the series, such as when they´re sitting at the mansion and Major Winters tells that he´s transferring to the pacific to fight.
Ehrfürchtige Bennedict
Ehrfürchtige Bennedict

Character sheet
Name: Bennedict Omarosand
Title: Sir, Disciple of Light

Back to top Go down

Post by (Goggy) - Exilius Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:26 am

Well, perhas they've got different styles? BoA as the name suggests focused on the happenings of people that got bonded and close through battling and surviving in combat' And what a dark world it was as you for one moment laugh with your bud and then suddenly his head is blown off... :l

Close bonds overall, I dunnoes but from impressions the pacific seems to be larger scaled and trying to feature more on a different side than what was featured in Band of Brothers? :O
(Goggy) - Exilius
(Goggy) - Exilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Raelan Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:54 am

Does it have Captain Winters?!
Raelan
Raelan

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ataris Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:13 am

Captain Winters it has not.
Ataris
Ataris

Character sheet
Name: Ataris the Soulblighter
Title: Darkmaster of the Dark Sphere

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:23 am

(Goggy) - Exilius wrote:Well, perhas they've got different styles? BoA as the name suggests focused on the happenings of people that got bonded and close through battling and surviving in combat' And what a dark world it was as you for one moment laugh with your bud and then suddenly his head is blown off... :l

Close bonds overall, I dunnoes but from impressions the pacific seems to be larger scaled and trying to feature more on a different side than what was featured in Band of Brothers? :O

I don't feel that the Pacific features anything that BoB lacked, except more sex of course.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexius Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:05 am

I think they chosen a slightly different approach. They follow less soldiers and foccus more on a select few it seems.

Probably because especially the masses had trouble to keep track of all the soldiers in BoB. Tbh I had trouble as well when following BoB on tv with it's commercial breaks and weeks between episodes.... It was not untill I saw it on DvD that I really enjoyed the series and got to know the men of the 101st airborne. "Currahee!"

I think they tried to make Pacific more interesting for the casual tv watchers by narrowing down the number of characters in the series.
Lexius
Lexius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:09 am

Lexius wrote:I think they chosen a slightly different approach. They follow less soldiers and foccus more on a select few it seems.

Probably because especially the massses had trouble to keep track of all the soldiers in BoB. Tbh I had trouble as well when following BoB on tv with it's commercial breaks and weeks between episodes.... It was not untill I saw it on DvD that I really enjoyed the series and got to know the men of the 101st airborne. "Currahee!"

I think they tried to make Pacific more interesting for the casual tv watchers by narrowing down the characters in the series.

I know, I just feel that kind of ruins the point a lot. The reason I found BoB so awesome is just because it wasnt the average action-war-movie that is generally presented. I mean, I enjoyed the Platoon movie even though it was focused on a small amount of soldiers, but I wouldnt say its even in the same sub-genre as BoB.

That said, I am enjoying the Pacific, but I feel its better compared to say.. A mix of Platoon and Flags of our Fathers, rather than BoB.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexius Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:33 pm

Andrek wrote:
Lexius wrote:I think they chosen a slightly different approach. They follow less soldiers and foccus more on a select few it seems.

Probably because especially the massses had trouble to keep track of all the soldiers in BoB. Tbh I had trouble as well when following BoB on tv with it's commercial breaks and weeks between episodes.... It was not untill I saw it on DvD that I really enjoyed the series and got to know the men of the 101st airborne. "Currahee!"

I think they tried to make Pacific more interesting for the casual tv watchers by narrowing down the characters in the series.

I know, I just feel that kind of ruins the point a lot. The reason I found BoB so awesome is just because it wasnt the average action-war-movie that is generally presented. I mean, I enjoyed the Platoon movie even though it was focused on a small amount of soldiers, but I wouldnt say its even in the same sub-genre as BoB.

That said, I am enjoying the Pacific, but I feel its better compared to say.. A mix of Platoon and Flags of our Fathers, rather than BoB.

I can only make a true judgement after I saw the all episodes of Pacific. But uptill now I agree it's a shame. Uptill now I miss the unit feel in Pacific, following the unit from private uptill commanding officer, which made BoB so great.
Lexius
Lexius

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunnell Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:04 pm

Gunnell

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next