Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Darkest hours

2 posters

Go down

Darkest hours Empty Darkest hours

Post by Eavya Morninglight Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:54 pm

A story my friends and I started in June, finished end of August and the story that brought me back to wow...

-----------0000--------------

Friendships can come and go in time. Acquaintances are made and lost. Loves of passion burn out once their energy is spent and lovers go their separate ways. Yet each of us make a few ‘true’ friends in our life. These are friendships forged in love, compassion, and shared values. For these friends, time and distance apart is not a barrier but merely a season that will pass. It is during ones darkest hours, when hope appears to have passed over the horizon, that these true friends show their worth.

PREQUEL

"Did you even miss me?"

"Miss you? Of course I missed you! What kind of a question is that?"

"Well you left without saying goodbye."

A white-haired elf blinks at his companion in disbelief. "Sometimes Kaldur, I think you don't get me at all."

Kaldur Winterwind stares down at his feet, purposefully trying to avoid the gaze of the other elf. He knows that if he looks back at his friend now his resolve might crack and tears may flow. Sad tears, tears of hurt and abandonment. But also mixed with tears of joy. Tears of someone who for several months did not know if he'd ever see his best friend again. He cannot let himself cry now. This is not a time to show any weakness. Crying now might get them both killed.

A couple of minutes pass in silence, neither elf wishing to give any ground. Finally, the white-haired elf decides to change the subject. "How's Rake?" he asks, offering his friend a soft smile.

"Rake? Rake is just fine." Kaldur replies. "Tashi spoils him rotten. She's out riding him most of the day."

"That's good" says the white-haired elf, nodding. "He likes to get plenty of exercise."

Another couple of minutes pass before Kaldur eventually plucks up the courage to look at his companion. In their time apart his friends appearance has changed. His hair is longer now and appears less well kept. He has swapped his fine, and often brightly coloured robes, in favour of functional leathers more suitable for travelling. Time on the road, little sleep, and irregular meals means he has lost weight; new creases around his eyes give him a look of wisdom that he never had before. But, he is still Kaldurs' old friend. As always, even in desperate times, he wears a smile on his face that gives Kaldur reassurance and lifts his spirit.

"I've missed you Shaktaekurte." he says.

"I've missed you too Kaldur."

The friends’ embrace, but they are quickly interrupted when a nearby voice barks common in a mocking tone. " 'Dis is not the time fer cuddlin' Elves. Da show ees abou' to start!"

Kaldur and Shaktaekurte separate, and take a moment to compose themselves.

"You ready for this old friend?" Kaldur asks.

"As ready as always." Shaktaekurte's face is serious now, focused on what is about to happen next. In a flash Kaldur morphs into a threatening black bear, and simultaneously Shaktaekurte becomes a crazed-looking owl beast.

Two roughly hewn wooden gates swing open. Kaldur and Shaktaekurte step through them into the evening sun, to receive the chants and jeers of an unfriendly crowd.

--------------

On the opposite side of Azeroth, in an altogether different climate, another two old friends are about to be reunited.

Lynnayla Firedawn, priestess-turned-mage and former councillor of Natures Grasp, has just seen a face she has not seen for a long while. Its appearance sends her mind back in time, to what feels like another life and another existence. The shock of one life bleeding into another makes her drop her staff and let out a gasp.

"Khalida Frostfeather? Wha… What are you doing here?" Lynnayla asks.

"Lynnayla. I'm so glad I found you." Khalidas’ voice is calm but urgent. "Kaldur and Shaktaekurte are in trouble and they need our help!"
Eavya Morninglight
Eavya Morninglight

Character sheet
Name: Eavya Morninglight
Title: Priestess of Elune

Back to top Go down

Darkest hours Empty Re: Darkest hours

Part I - An Ominous Message

Beside his water-front home in Rut'theran Village, Kaldur Winterwind, former councillor and the once senior Druid of Nature's Grasp, stands looking out to sea. Magnificent waves crash against the boughs and branches of the great world tree all around him and on the horizon the ominous beaches of Darkshore and the start of the continent of Kalimdor are just visible. Kaldur does not notice any of this. He is looking out across the waves, further than his eyes can possibly see. He hopes to see the future, a vision, a sign; something or anything that can explain the growing unease he has felt over the last few weeks.

"Winter is approaching." He whispers to himself but he does not know why. The last few weeks have seen many great successes for the Order of Nature's Grasp - a collective of strong new members and a successful campaign on the continent - but Kaldur does not feel they are his successes, or that it is his Order any longer. For a moment he reminisces of his adventures with the likes of Shaktaekurte, Frostfeather, and Lynnayla. "Have I had my time?" he asks himself. "Where are my old friends now?"

His musing is interrupted as he hears the padding of large paws coming towards him. Tashi Winterwind approaches at a canter on the back of her borrowed mount, Rake. Her appearance and excited face instantly lifts Kaldur from his melancholy and he turns to face his daughter.

"What is it my child?" he asks as she pulls up beside him.

"A package for you father." She replies whilst swiftly dismounting from Rake. "It looks like it is from the East."

A brown paper-wrapped package is thrust into Kaldurs' hands. On the front it simply reads "Kaldur Winterwind". The postal system of Azeroth never ceases to amaze Kaldur. A curious mixture of arcane magic and goblin ingenuity that allows a letter or parcel to find it's recipient wherever he or she may be in the world. The postal stamp also amazes Kaldur. This one depicts a pleasant seaside town with the slogan "Wish you were here!" Kaldur recognises the tourist logo of Booty Bay, but knows the reality of that town to be far from the tropical paradise shown. Peeling back the paper wrapping Kaldur discovers a book.

‘Befriending Furlbogs, by Shaktaekurte’.

"Hey! Is that a first edition?" Tashi asks recognising the text. The growing success of Shaktaekurte's publications has always been something Kaldur has never been able to understand. A picture of his smiling friend is displayed on the back cover, which partly explains Shaktaekurte's growing fame and increasing number of female followers around Darnassus.

“No Tashi, I think this is the original.” Kaldur replies recognising the copy Shaktaekurte has carried with him for the last few years. Tashi blinks at him as if her father has just received a relic of great worth.

Puzzled by its appearance Kaldur starts flicking through the pages, past images of Furlbog dwellings, illustrations of their various racial differences, and diagrams of mating rituals. As he does so a separate piece of paper falls out from between its leaves. He catches it as it falls and holds it up so both he and Tashi can read it.

NEED YOUR HELP. COME QUICKLY.

“Is Shaktaekurte in trouble?” Tashi asks.

“So it seems.” Kaldur replies to Tashi. A wry smile spreads across his face. “A sign at last.” He says to himself, intrigued.

---------------------

The Rut’theran Docks are a hive of activity. The languages and dialects of sailors from all corners of Azeroth mix together in a cacophony of shouts as a boat is being prepared for travel. A determined Kaldur Winterwind pushes through the crowd. It has taken him very little time to pack. He wears his travelling clothes. Thick functional leathers adorned with the bones, teeth, and claws of various kills. A large bearskin cloak covers his back. The whole outfit gives Kaldur an animal appearance even though he is in his Elven form. He walks with a wooden staff in his hand, which glows faintly orange as if fire is trapped within its bark.

Kaldur does not like goodbyes. He has ordered his daughter to remain at home. He hopes to leave Teldrassil without saying a word to anyone else. Unfortunately, he will not get his wish today.

“Kaldur?” a female voice calls to him just before he can step onto the boat.

The druid turns to see the sentinel Khalida Frostfeather on the dock behind him.

“Khalida? What are you doing here?” Kaldur asks. He means to ask a question, but his words come out like an accusation. Frostfeather is taken aback by his tone and gives him a curt look.

“I live in Darnassus, remember Kaldur. Even though I’ve left the Order, I still have a duty to protect these shores.”

“Sorry, I didn’t mean it like…”

Frostfeathers look does not soften but she drops the pending argument. She nods at the boat over Kaldurs’ shoulder. “You going somewhere?” she enquires.

Khalida Frostfeather joined the Order of Nature’s Grasp around the same time as Kaldur. She quickly built up a reputation as an exceptionally skilled and honourable Sentinel. She had become one of Kaldurs' closest friends and confidents. Last year she helped him rescue his daughter Tashi, and bring her back to Darnassus. For a moment Kaldur wants to tell his friend everything about his trip - but then he thinks of the note. The brief message said nothing about bringing anyone else. Was Shaktaekurte in danger? Or did he merely need emotional support from his old friend? Kaldur could not be sure. All he knew was that if he told Frostfeather where he was going she would insist on coming along.

“I’m just going to the mainland for a few days.” Kaldur lied. “I need to replenish my herb stocks. Nothing special.”

“I see,” Frostfeather replies with a look of suspicion in her eye. “Just herbs you say?”

“It has been a long time since we have spoken Khalida. We shall have to get together when I get back.” The boat is getting ready to leave, its last few passengers having just boarded. Kaldur steps onto the boat along with the final few sailors and supplies. “I’ll see you soon.”

“Very well Kaldur. And then perhaps you can update me on what is going on in the Order these days.”

“I shall. Farewell Khalida.” He gives a wave as the drawbridge is pulled up.

Frostfeather returns his wave and starts walking slowly back along the dock. She has the uncomfortable feeling that Kaldur is not telling her something, and she can distinctly remember what trouble his adventures alone have gotten him into in the past.

“ALL SET SAIL FOR THE EASTERN KINGDOMS” the burley voice of a sailor shouts from the boat.

“The Eastern Kingdoms? What?...” Frostfeather says. She turns swiftly on her heel as the boat begins to pull away from the harbour. She runs back down the dock to get within earshot of her friend.

“Hey! Where are you going Kaldur? What are you up to?” She shouts at the druid.

“We’ll talk when I get back I promise…” Kaldur replies as his voice fades into the distance, leaving a frustrated and disgruntled Frostfeather at the harbour.

----------------------

Several days later and after many leagues of ocean travelled, a boat pulls into a foreign harbor. The druid Kaldur Winterwind smiles, pleased to see the land again - even if it is Booty Bay. He looks at the town and tries to think if he has ever come across a more retched hive of scum and tyranny. He chuckles as he remembers the post-stamp from days before. "Wish you were here!" he laughs. "Wish you were here instead of me, more like." Despite where he is and the crossing he has endured, Kaldurs' mood is buoyant. He anticipates a reunion with his closest friend Shaktaekurte, and looks for him on the dock as the boat pulls in.

Shaktaekurte is not to be seen. However, as the dock comes closer Kaldur recognises another figure stood there waiting for someone to arrive. "This cannot be a coincidence." He says to himself with dread, for this is a face Kaldur hoped he'd never have to see again....
Eavya Morninglight
Eavya Morninglight

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Part II – A Stormy Reception In Booty Bay

“What on Azeroth are you doing here?” Kaldur bellowed stepping off the boat. He storms up to the waiting elf stopping inches from her and nearly knocking her off her feet.

Kreska Stormraven expected a difficult meeting with Kaldur. At their last encounter Kaldur and Kreska had become locked in a vicious fight that looked like it would only be resolved by the death of one of them. Stood face-to-face with the druid on the Booty Bay docks, the two were polar opposites of how a Night Elf can look. Kaldur appeared to care little for his outward appearance, and even in his Elven form he seemed wild and untamed. Kreska looked impeccable. Her thick grey leather armor shone as if it was metal. Her cloth tabard, cloak and hood, of deep Darnassian purple, were smooth and untarnished. She carried herself with grace and a reserved pride. Once a Sentinel, Kreska Stormraven knew all about discipline, and her outward appearance echoed this.

“Waiting for you as it happens.” She replied coyly. 10,000 years of being a secret guardian and assassin for her people meant she was not intimidated easily. However, in Kaldurs’ eyes she saw a fire and burning hatred she found unsettling. His eyes had become narrow slits. His lips curled at the corners into a snarl. His large bearskin cloak looked ready to leap off his back and devour her where she stood. She hid her unease well. “Did you have a good trip Druid?” she asked.

“Good trip?” Cried Kaldur with venom in his voice. He bared his teeth at Kreska. “Where is Shaktaekurte?”

Kreska sensed she could lose control of the situation. The other travelers on the dock had moved away from them as if worried they might get caught in the fray. A couple of enterprising Goblins already appeared to be sizing up the pair, ready to take bets on who may win in a fight.

“Kaldur you need to calm down a moment, and you’re going to have to trust me.” Her tone was suddenly slow and calm.

“Trust you! Trust you! You killed my aunt!” The druid beamed.

“I think we established at our last meeting that I didn’t.” replied Kreska. Her voice was even lower now. Kaldur would have to listen hard if he was going to hear what she was saying. This was a tactic she often employed in arguments.

“We didn’t establish anything.” Said Kaldur, his voice was quieter now but still angry. “I was about to force a confession out of you and then the world exploded.”

Kreska was briefly reminded again of their fight in Kaldurs’ cabin. As the two had rounded on each other, the Cataclysm struck. The cabin was flung into the sea. Did Kaldur remember that she had dragged his unconscious body back onto the shore and saved his life?

“This is going to get us nowhere. Listen to me, young Winterwind!” Kreska sounded like a teacher addressing an unruly child. Kaldur was less than a 1000 years old. To Kreska many of her kind seemed to have barely reached adult-hood. It didn’t help that the first time she met Kaldur he was just a little boy. She had learnt what to say to control people and bend them to her will - she’d have to threaten this one with something he valued more than his life to get him off the harbor.

“If you ever want to see your friend again you’re going to have to come with me and do exactly what I say.”

Kaldur said nothing more as he followed Kreska off the dock.

-------------------

Kaldur sat in Kreska’s room at the local inn. The room was dimly lit. It smelt of seawater and stale air. The Sentinel seemed to have very few belongings, which was fortunate as there was little space when two full-grown elves occupied the room. Kreska spoke whilst Kaldur listened. He still did not trust her, but his anger had abated enough so that they could have a conversation.

“I came across your friend a couple of weeks ago. I didn’t know his name but I recognized him as one of your associates from Darnassus, one of your Order. At first I wondered if he was an assassin you had sent to track me down.”

“You think I’d send an assassin after you?” Kaldur said sounding insulted. “That’s more your game isn’t it?’

“Well, with the life I've lived I’ve come to expect attempts at reprisal. Anyway, I followed your friend, and… well let’s just say it became evident he was no assassin.” Kreska chucked to herself. “I learnt where he had set up his camp. One evening I while I was watching him…”

“You were watching him?” Kaldur said, once again wondering what the opposite sex found so fascinating about Shaktaekurte. Despite his dislike of the Elf before him, Kaldur felt a familiar twinge of jealousy.

“Observing him yes. While he was off-guard a band of trolls managed to get close to his camp. Slavers. There’s reports of them snatching lone people who wander into the jungle but I’d never come across them before. And suddenly there they were. Lots of them. They moved with stealth - I was lucky they didn’t spot me.”

“And they took Shaktaekurte?”

“Yes.”

“And you didn’t help him? He’s one of our kind!”

“Let me speak Kaldur. Didn't Thalun teach you manners? If I’d tried to help they would have captured me too. I’m helping him now aren’t I?” she looked at the Druid imploringly with her eyes.

“They took what they thought to be of value and left the rest of his belongings behind. After they had gone I came back and took the book that you have with you now. I figured you wouldn’t have come if you had known it was me.”

Kaldur said nothing. He stood up and started to pace around the room. Kreska felt he was doing this merely for affect, and thought he looked ridiculous given the rooms small size.

“Look Kaldur, I know the way to their fortress. It’s heavily guarded, almost impenetrable. No way I could get in and out alone, too risky. But you… I know a way a druid could get in without being spotted at all…”
Eavya Morninglight
Eavya Morninglight

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Eavya Morninglight Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:55 pm

Part III - Trolls and Tribulations

Even though the goblin had just puked all over his shoes, Shak still smiled brightly. While trying to wipe the blue bile off his shoes he had come up with an idea for his next book "The correlation between skin and vomit color of two legged creatures". A new bestseller was in the making, he could feel it.

But more importantly he had just been given some important information. He had travelled for months now, but every trail he found had run dead after a while. He felt like he was running out of places to look. But here in Booty Bay there was a rumor that had sparkled some hope.

This puking green monster had seen a stunningly beautiful Night Elf mage being captured by trolls. This must be Lynnayla, no other Night Elf could ever be described as stunningly beautiful by a goblin. Ok, the goblin was so drunk it had sounded more like a "shtunningly bootyfull shite elbf", with the last word being more burped than said. But still, Shak had his hopes up very high that he was on the right track this time.

Shaktaekurte sighed while looking into the fire. His secret follower was nearby looking at him, he could feel it. He had to admit, he or she was very good in staying unseen. In the 2 days since he realized he was being followed, he hadn't been able to catch the slightest glimpse of his follower. But the person clearly didn't have too much understanding of the balance of nature and was upsetting Strangleflies all over the place. Of course everyone knows that Strangleflies don't fly in June unless they are disturbed so one should avoid plants with tiny blue specs.
"Must be a gnome", Shak muttered to himself.

Shak sighed again and took a book from his pack titled "In search of Lynndilla". Everyone going through his backpack would think it was the famous standard work about the Lynndilla butterfly, although in truth it was some sort of diary about his search for Lynnayla. "Sometimes you're so smart you amaze even yourself" Shak said to himself while grinning.
Shak flicked through the pages.
Day 22: "Saved the life of a princess". Ok, it had been such an ugly dwarf that it might have been a prince. But still ...
Day 43: "Observed a Hellfire Boar with a silver mane". That had been the highlight of two weeks trudging thought that hot desolated place. Those red skinned orcs had been a menace, but at least they died faster than their green skinned kin.
Day 67: "Got a smile form a human girl with the most perfect row of teeth". Hmm, better scratch that in case Lynn finds this.
Dag 95: "Setting out to safe Lynn from the trolls." That had been 3 days ago now.

Shak sighed for a third time and thought "Trolls, why did it have to be Trolls?". Trolls had never really been able to interest Shak. Just some evolved raptors who can swing an axe around. No migration patterns, no smartly built holes to live in and the thought of doing research about their mating rituals almost made him sick. An utterly boring species, not worth of any attention as far as Shak was concerned.

There was something that resembled a village nearby, inhabited by those foul things. Tomorrow he would march in and claim Lynnayla. What better way was there to woo her? He looked at the ring around his finger and said "Tomorrow, you're going back to your rightful owner!" ...

Shak wakes at the sound of somebody rummaging through his stuff. "At last", he thinks, "my mystery follower has chosen to reveal himself". But as Shak rubs his eyes he can see through the canvas of his tent that there are several figures moving around outside. He quickly morphs into his Owlkin form and rolls out into the open with a devious sounding "Wraaaagh". But before he can even think about casting something, several sedating arrows hit him from all sides. "That should scare them off" Shak mumbles, while losing his Owlkin form and smacking face first into Stranglethorns hard ground.
Eavya Morninglight
Eavya Morninglight

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Eavya Morninglight Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:55 pm

The Sins of our Fathers

Tashi was alone with her pile of books again, one young kaldorei studying in the candlelight. She liked reading and was good at it, but the last couple of nights she hadn't been able to focus properly. She couldn't remember one single page she had read since her father had left yet again. She read with the same speed and efficiency as always, but it was like nothing stuck in her memory more than a few seconds. Her mind was simply not there, it was with him, her father Kaldur Winterwind. He hadn't been back in her life for a very long time, but she had grown very attached to him and the feeling of safety his company meant. He was good at making others feel safe and she had no reason to doubt him, but she still would have wished that he wouldn't have gone alone.

She heard a knock on her door. She didn't feel like having guests tonight so she just ignored it. Another knock. She sighed and got on her feet when suddenly the door was kicked open. She was now face to face with Khalida Frostfeather, the sentinel that almost killed her father a year ago!

"Your father isn't much of a builder is he?" Khalida said with a grin. She nodded towards Tashi's studying spot. "So you are keeping yourself busy with learning how to corrupt your eternal soul, I see." Tashi pondered if that had been a joke or not. She knew that Khalida had tried convincing her father that the path of the sentinel was more suitable for her. This was not a debate she was willing to have tonight. Tashi crossed her arms and met the Sentinel's eyes, trying to look as confident as one can when your door has just been kicked in and you are face to face with someone in full battle armor.

"What do you want Khalida?" Her voice did not betray her, it stayed confident and clear.

The Sentinels face was emotionless but her voice hardened a bit. "I need to see Kaldur. Where is he?"

"Planning to shoot him again are you? You need to come back another day. He is not here."

The Sentinels face changed, her eyes darkened. Tashi regretted the remark about shooting her father but she still had the feeling that Khalida had reacted more on the fact that he was not there. "So he is not back yet? Where did he go Tashi?"

Tashi bit down on her lip and just shook her head.

"You know that if he is in -any- trouble I would be the one to tell about that right? In your heart you know that Tashi!"

Tashi looked straight into Khalida's eyes and slowly shook her head. They stood like that for a while, the sentinel pressing for an answer and the young arcanist denying her. Tashi's confidence grew for every second she managed to fend off the Sentinel. Eventually Khalida gave up. "So you are not telling me? You Winterwinds and your foolish stubborness." Khalida's eyes wandered across the room seemingly planles before focusing on the ceiling. The sentinel arched an eyebrow and asked "What is that?"

Tashi felt proud that she had managed to hold her ground and relieved at the change of subject. She couldn't help but follow the sentinel's gaze upwards. She saw nothing out of the ordinary in the ceiling. Nor did not see the sentinel move, she just found herself gasping for air as Khalidas' kick landed right in her solar plexus.

She fell to the floor and needed a few seconds to recover. When she came to, Khalida had moved and was standing right next to the pile of books. The sentinel was holding the lit candle very close to them and with a triumphant smile said, "I'm sorry Tashi, there just isn't enough time for childish games. Tell me what you know or I will torch this place."

"You wouldn't!", Tashi cried out still not willing to admit defeat. She felt the anger rising within her and the arcane energies quickly filling her. A year ago she would probably have not been able to hold it back but now she felt in control. What would have resulted in a blast wave a year ago now only manifested itself as faint glowin aura around her hands.

The sentinel laughed. "Burn books about the arcane? Oh trust me dear, I don't even need an excuse to do that", Khalida's eyes narrowed as she continued "but it looks like you are about to do that job for me" and noded towards Tashi's hands.

Tashi did not know what to think. Khalida was well known for her stern position against the arcane before the Highborne were let back into the city. However, her father had told stories of Khalida standing up for them since then. She decided that she was not going to call her bluff this time. She was fighting with getting in control of her emotions, struggling to keep her control of the arcane powers that seemed to grow as she got angry and on top of all this she needed time to recover from the chock and the physical pain the sentinel's kick had caused her. She didn't have the strength to win this one, yield and save the books or unleash her power and hope Khalida wasn't fast enough to escape the inferno. She chose her books and with an immense effort she were able to regain her control over her emotions and the arcane energies flowing inside her.

Exhausted she hung her head in defeat, reached into her pockets and silently handed over the note from Shaktaekurte. She pointed to one of the books, "It came in that", she said silently. Khalida quickly read the note and glanced at the book before her attention turned back to Tashi. The young promising mage was now sitting on the floor, pressing her hands against her stomach whilst tears ran down her cheeks.

The sentinel kneeled beside her and whispered: "Arch your back, eyes on the ceiling, let the air back into your lungs." Tashi did as she was instructed and felt it helping. Khalida continued: "No need for the tears, you did the right thing Tashi". There was a warmth in the sentinels voice now that she hadn't heard earlier during their conversation.

"I'm just disappointed I caved so quickly, that I couldn't hold my ground" She sobbed a little. "Will-power is essential when learning the arcane." She looked back up at the sentinel and was a bit surprised to see Khalida giving her a warm smile.

"Tashi, you are a Winterwind. Your father is the most stubborn kaldorei I know. You told me because in your heart you wanted me to know, you want me to go after him. I am forever in his dept after that incident in Stormwind. You know I would stop at nothing to save him."

Tashi thought about those words as she watched Khalida read the note again and quickly flick through some of the pages of Shak's book. She heard the Sentinel mumbling curses about the stupidity of Shak and Kaldur. Finally Khalida seemed convinced that there was no more answers or clues in the book and was heading for the door.

"Let me go with you Khalida!" Tashi cried out as the sentinel was about to leave the Winterwind cottage "I can help".

"No Tashi. Your father might forgive a broken door and me giving you a light kick in the stomach, but he would never forgive me if I took you on this trip."

She knew Khalida was right, at least about Kaldur not wanting her to go. The part about forgiveness for the door and that kick, which she wouldn't describe as "light", she wasn't so sure Khalida would get away with. She was going to tell Kaldur. Yes she was. Her eyes focused on the moon as she whispered to herself, "Elune please let me get the chance to tell him. Please guide her to him and give her strength to bring him back".
Eavya Morninglight
Eavya Morninglight

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Eavya Morninglight Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:56 pm

Dawn

Mirra...

Lynnayla had let the strange exotic name resound in her head. For exotic he was... And beautiful, strong and amusing. Mirra was tall, broad shouldered and had flowing, almost glistening night blue hair.
Her father had introduced them. With a flair he had brought the young kaldorei male forward to introduce to his daughter. Lynnayla had not noticed the look in her fathers eyes as he looked towards Mirra and Lynnayla, politely shaking hands.

How silly she had been for not noticing her father's intention immediately. How she had been taken with Mirra's gaze... his gentle voice... his elegant manners... Her father had told her he was going to travel with them for a short while. He had said he was the son of some old friends. Friends that had lived exiled from society, just as they had. Mirra, as with many other Highborne, was now free to roam Kalimdor as he pleased. They had decided together to travel alongside each other for a while.

She had been sitting across the fire from him, that first evening, trying not to stare at him as he talked to her father. They had had animated conversations about the Arcane matters and the Highborne legacy. She had followed his every movement, listened to his every word, totally engrossed in that person that was Mirra.
After a few days, evenings like that had become almost routine. Packing up every morning, setting foot on the sparsely trodden paths. Climbing over hills and cliffs to reach yet another old Highborne settlement, or another of the Ley Lines that were draped across the continent. They had met little other people on their road and relied solely on each other those days. And every evening, they settled in for the night, build a fire and Lynnayla had watched her father and Mirra converse deep into the night. Hardly ever did she partake in the talk herself. She had been content just listening.

Now, Lynnayla did see through her fathers intentions. He had left early that morning, as he had done at some occasions already, going out for some personal examinations. Lynnayla sat across the fire from Mirra again. He was still sound asleep. She could hear his faint breathing even from her spot. She was very careful not to make any sound as she watched the sun slowly rise at the horizon. The realization had come that night, when she found herself unable to sleep. Finally she had noticed the looks her father had given the two of them. Last night she had been dragged into the conversation and at the end of the evening, it had only been her and Mirra talking animatedly. She had seen her father watching, but only later, when she couldn't find her sleep, she had understood the meaning of his gaze.
And then the conversation she had with her father, right before he introduced her to Mirra, started to make some sense as well.

Her father had patted the ground beside him, inviting her to sit there. Curiously but totally unaware, she had sat down, looking at him questioning.

'Lynnayla...' Her father had hesitated for a moment, but had taken a deep breath and continued.

'Dear daughter... I know your mother has passed away way to early... There are things only a mother can share with her child, and I am very sorry that you have missed out on this.'

Lynnayla had started to say something then, but her father had shushed her gently.

'No love, listen. There are things a girl needs to know about. I am well aware that you have been thought a lot in Elune's Temple some years ago and I am glad you had their teachings. However, there are some things I think you should know... About men and... women.'

Lynnayla had stood up then, indignantly.

'Father! You must be joking! Please... please do not continue!'

When her father had started to speak again, she had done the shushing.

'No! Father... please. Surely you must not think I am unaware of these matters? I have been an adult for decades now! And you must have heard about Shaktaekurte and me? Surely you must!'

She had made a disgusted sound at her fathers ignorance and had stomped off, not being able to face her father anymore on this matter, feeling it was rather ridiculous her father had actually imagined she was ignorant in this area.

Now she sighed, wrapped in her bedroll as she was. The rising sun was warming her, making her drowsy a little after a sleepless night. Yet she kept looking at Mirra. She noticed a little while later she was actually plaiting her hair to resemble Mirra's chestlong braid over his shoulder.
Angrily she combed her long white hair from the braid again, pulling out strands in her rashness.
It was then that Mirra woke again. He simply opened his eyes and smiled at her.

'Goodmorning, My Fire of this Dawn.' His words were sweet, but his tone was perfectly polite.

Lynnayla now found it impossible to keep looking at him. Furiously she was fighting the blush that threatened to redden her face. She didn't see him as much as heard him stand up and dress himself quickly.

'Get up now, my dear Sister. We have something special to witness today!' He said, with a ring in his voice that did make her look up. His blazing eyes held a smile for her but yet he was already gathering his possessions, making ready to leave.
Lynnayla hurried to dress and gather her things as well, so she was ready to take off when he was. She found herself curious despite her mixed feelings that morning.

Mirra led the way, Lynnayla struggling to keep up with him. She watched him as he walked, making his way up a steep hill. Today he had dressed differently. Usually he was dressed in simple yet exquisite robes, the fabric and patterns showing off the extraordinary craftsmanship. He would carry a intricately carved staff which would always glow slightly from its arcane infusion. He had gifted her a similar staff some days ago, showing her the spells that had enchanted the delicate woodwork.
Today, however, he was dressed in simple leather clothing. He could be any kaldorei male, going out to hunt, fish or gather. His staff he had left at the camp. A long braid of night blue hair trailed down his back.
Occasionally he turned around to help her over obstacles. He didn't mention where they were going, just smirked when she inquired about their destination for today.

'You will see soon enough. Have patience, my Dawn.'

She would feel her cheeks redden when he said things like that and after a while, she stopped her inquiries and tried to be content in just following him.

An hour or so later, they seemed to have arrived. Mirra slowed down his swift pace and motioned her towards the ridge over which he was now peering. Lynnayla caught up with him, having to climb an even steeper slope to reach him and came to stand beside her companion. When she glanced up at him he smiled down at her.

'Tired?'
he asked, casually and gently swiping away a moist strand of white hair from her face.

She just shook her head and looked questionably towards their destination. It was another ruin, seemingly highborne, Lynnayla judged by the carvings, broken statues and the sheer grandure she observed.

Suddenly Mirra grasped her shoulders, positioning himself behind her. He turned her slowly so that she faced a mountain ridge towards the north. Two mountaintops obscured the sun, making the ruin fall in an eery shadow.

'You see that?' He whispered close to her ear...
'Watch the sun... it does something amazing here.'

Lynnayla stood as still as she could, secretly savoring the feeling of Mirra's hands on her shoulders. She watched the sun rays climb higher and higher, until the glowing ball of fire suddenly burst from under the ridge, abruptly bathing the ruins below them in golden sunlight.
Lynnayla gasped. Somehow the rays of the sun had an unexpected effect on the leftover arcane energies that had accumulated in the ancient Highborne settlement. She saw how shapes appeared, glittering in the light, moving elegantly amongst the broken rubble that once had been their home.
She looked up at Mirra, amazed by what she witnessed. He beamed down at her, obviously pleased with her reaction.

'They appear here once in a Moon, only visible when the sun appears behind those two peaks. Is it not amazing? They lived so long ago, yet their energy still lingers. These Quel'dorei must have possessed great powers to leave such an impression.'

Lynnayla just nodded, not sure what to say, and turned her gaze towards the spectacle below her again.
He then let her down towards the ruins, firmly pulling her hand to urge her on. They spent the large part of the day walking among their ancestors, admiring the clothing, the proud faces, the elegant gestures and even small children playing, running around as if they still existed.
For once Lynnayla's eyes were not constantly focused on her male companion, but trained on all the sights around her, taking in as much as possible. It was all so terribly fascinating.

Much later, when the sun began to disappear and the shapes gone with it, they made their way back to camp again. The way back seemed longer somehow to Lynnayla. With the sun gone, the temperature had also gone down. The only upside was that every slope they had gone up that morning, they would now be traveling down from. Mirra again took the lead, helping her over large boulders that blocked their trail and pointing out fissures and cracks in the ground which could cause her to stumble.
At one point however, he failed to notice one and Lynnayla felt herself misstep. She tripped, loosing her balance and since they were on a slant, she stumbled forward, not being able to keep her footing.
Mirra was instantly there, catching her and slowing her momentum, keeping her from falling face down to the ground. His strong arms were around her waist and after she took a deep breath and straightened herself she looked up at him. His face was surprisingly close to hers, a little smile on his lips, his eyes twinkling.

'Are you alright?' he spoke softly, not letting go of his hold of her.

She nodded slowly. He then smiled once more before bringing his head even closer and then touching his lips softly to hers.
Lynnayla was caught totally by surprise at this move. However, she could not resist and for a moment she melted against him, leaning into the kiss and his embrace.
The moment did not last long... Shame and heartbreaking guilt washed over her and she violently pushed Mirra away. She was breathing heavily as she watched him for a second more... then turned away and started running. In a totally unnecessary use of her powers, she transported herself by Blinking as far as she could, appearing not far from their camp. She ran the last part and abruptly sat down on her bedroll, assuming a meditative pose and tried her hardest to clear her mind.

Her resolve faltered slightly when she felt Mirra kneeling behind her, gently swiping away her loose hair and whispering softly to her;

'I can wait... My Dawn...'

He then stood up and made his way over to his side of the fire, leaving Lynnayla with a turmoil of feelings to deal with. She just closed her eyes even tighter and plunged deeper into her meditative state. She hoped her father would come back soon...
Eavya Morninglight
Eavya Morninglight

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Eavya Morninglight Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:56 pm

Journey into the Belly of the Beast

It is incorrect to say the jungle sleeps. The jungle never sleeps. Like the great cities of Ogrimmar and Stormwind, someone or something has been up all night, prowling quiet corners and dark recesses. Kaldur and Kreska are mindful of this as they travel through the thick jungles of Stranglethorn Vale. They have traveled since the sun went down, far from trodden paths, deeper and deeper under the canopy of trees. Predators lurk at every step, patiently waiting for careless passers by.

Kreska Stormraven leads. She is elegant and swift, not breaking step as she glides over knotted roots and plants. Kaldur follows in his cat form, a dark shadow holding his head and tail low to the ground. Progress has been slow. The pair have been careful to not attract any attention. Far above them the sun is starting to rise. The thick canopy of trees hides it from the Elves but they both sense it as the smells and sounds around them change.

They approach a large opening and light can be seen for the first time in hours, but only just. As suddenly as the trees stop a wall appears. Thick stone the colour of sand looms over them reaching high into the sky.

“We’re here.” Kreska whispers to her feline friend. “Archers guard the perimeter of their camp from the top of that wall. I suggest we stay out of sight in the shadows of the trees.”

The cat nods back at her. He feels his heart begin to race. The rogue was telling the truth about the camp; he can only hope his old friend Shaktaekurte is alive and unharmed inside. He follows Kreska as she circles the enemy fortress. Suddenly she stops. Movement. It is subtle. Kaldur senses it too – a few leaves rustling, the nearby animals jumping for higher branches. Kreska takes two quick steps backwards, and comes up against a large tree. She moulds herself to its shape and bends her body to fit its shadows. Kaldur crouches low to the ground below the level of the smallest plants. Seconds later two Trolls walk over the spot where Kreska stood moments before.

Fortunately the Elves moved just in time and they remain unseen. From their hiding positions they watch the Trolls approach the camp. The Trolls wear little clothing. Their bodies are painted with various symbols and their skin is pierced in several places with small trophies of teeth and claws. Each is armed with a bow and a skinning knife, and they both carry a large carcass over their shoulders. The two Trolls are obviously hunters, returning from a successful mornings hunt. They soundlessly drop their quarry by the wall of the camp, and return once more to the engulfing forest.

When they have gone, Kreska comes forward and speaks to the druid. “This is the place Kaldur.” She whispers. “When you and your friend fly over the wall, give me the signal and I’ll head back to the rendezvous spot. Good luck.”

The feral druid nods at her and slowly heads to the dead animals by the wall. He lies down beside them and waits.

------------------------

Over the next couple of hours several more hunters return from the forest and drop their quarry. Kaldur becomes part of an increasingly large pile of herbivores and carnivores picked like fruit from the forests heart. When all the hunters finally return to camp a great gate opens. Guards appear and help the hunters carry the dead animals inside the fortress. The feral cat Kaldur looks much like any of the black panthers of the Jungle, except for his characteristic markings that he has been careful to cover with mud. He does not move, except to give a faint smile, as he is carried into the Troll fortress.

------------------------

Inside, Kaldur wanders around the maze of the Troll camp. The camp is like another world, alien and intimidating to the Night Elf. The walls are adorned with carvings of giant figures; monsters with grotesque faces, twisted limbs, and distorted bodies tower above the feral cat at every turn he makes. His ears are dulled by the sound of tribal drums, ceaselessly beating in their calls to a foreign god. The air is packed full with the smell of burning flesh and incense, making it difficult for Kaldur to pick out the scent of his friend. With the sun now high up in the sky there is little shadow that he can use as cover. The cat is frightened. His animal urge is to run, but his intelligent brain forces him to keep on with his mission – find Shaktaekurte and get out of here together.

It is the human scent of fear that first attracts Kaldurs’ attention and directs him to the captives. It raises above all the other smells like a beacon in the dark. The feral druid has no problem tracking it and once it is in his nose he feels his senses sharpen. He is suddenly able to pick through the fog of noises and smells around him. His heightened senses allow him to detect nearby Trolls before they come into view and he deftly navigates past them. Following the scent he descends a slope, to a part of the camp that is underground. This part of the camp is shaded and cool, a welcome change to the sun he has endured since leaving Kreska. Ahead of him he can see what appears be a cage of wooden bars, and beyond them a hint of blue skin and white hair – Shaktaekurte.

There is a Troll guard in the corridor between Kaldur and the cage. The guard is tired. He fails to notice the cat sneak slowly up behind him. When the Troll turns he sees the cat but has no time to respond. The cat flies at him, propelled forwards and upwards by its strong legs. Razor sharp claws pierce his throat and chest. The Troll goes down without even letting out a whimper, and his life bleeds away in a tide of crimson, quickly soaked up by the dusty floor.

With no more guards in sight, Kaldur stretches back into his Kal'dorei form. He picks up the guards keys and unlocks the cage. Inside his friend sleeps, partly covered by an animal hide sheet.

"Shak! Shak brother, wake up it's time to get out of here." Kaldur calls.

The white-haired Elf stirs. As he turns over, his face comes into view. It is indeed Shaktaekurte. A smile of relief spreads across Kaldurs face. But, there is something else. Something Kaldur did not expect, that turns his smile into an open-mouthed expression of shock and surprise. Just as Shak turns over he pulls the animal-hide sheet off him and another figure can be seen. Kaldur blinks in disbelief as he sees a half-naked human female lying next to Shak, her arms and legs entangled in his.

“Shaktaekurte!?!”
Eavya Morninglight
Eavya Morninglight

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Eavya Morninglight Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:57 pm

We all have pointy ears in the end

"Shaktaekurte!"

Shak smiles to himself when hearing Kaldur's voice. His friend has appeared in his dreams every night since Shak was captured.

"What in Elunes name are you doing? It might be dark, but that isn't nightelf skin I'm seeing, it's hu..."

Kaldur's voice sounds more distressed than usually. Shak tries to rise to comfort his friend, but there is something in the way. He feels the soft skin of the woman entangled in his arms. He wonders, how after several days of imprisonment, she still manages to smell like sweet flowers.

"That's no human! Shak, wake up you fool!"

Slowly a realization comes to Shak. "This body I'm feeling feels real, so I'm not sleeping. If I'm not sleeping, than this voice I'm hearing can't be in my dream. And if this isn’t a dream ..." Shak opens up one eye and sees his friend.

"Kaldur!" he shouts while jumping up. The woman is propelled into the air and hits the ground with a big *thump*. She looks around dazed awaking from her own dreams. She freezes when her bright green eyes lock with Kaldur's, who's watching her with a murderous look.
After a few seconds of dead silence Kaldur makes a feral snarl towards her followed by a scream of the terrified bloodelf woman ...

Shak looks at the shackles that are binding his wrists to his ankles. Right in front of him Kaldur is sitting in the same position. Night has fallen and darkness surrounds them.

"You know, they were going to execute us today. And she was there, all lonely and longing, together with me in that small cage. And she had never seen a night elf naked. And I figured I was going to die anyway, so ..."

Kaldur remains silent so Shak continues after a few seconds.

"If you hadn't scared her so much, she wouldn't have screamed and alerted the whole camp".

More silence.

"These Sin'dorei females, you really can't imagine the things they can do with their t.." Shak stops when he sees Kaldur bright eyes looking at him sharply.

"Ok, too much detail, sorry. I'm just saying that it wasn't what it looked like". Again a painful silence follows.

"OK OK! It was exactly what it looked like! But you know, they took my ring. The one I had made for Lynn, and they melted it! And seeing it turn liquid broke something in me." Shak inhales deeply and continues ranting. "Don't get me wrong, I still love her. But I've been running around with this ring for a year now. She didn't even want it before she ran off with her father. If she really wants me, she'll have to come back and show it."

Kaldur looks at his friend thoughtfully. "Why did she run anyway? You think her father is up to something?"

Shak shrugs. "That elf despises me. I'm not good enough for a daughter of him. If I had to guess, the sole purpose of taking away Lynn is to make her forget about me."

"And get her pregnant with some pure highborn blood." Kaldur adds softly.

Both elves stare into the darkness, sulking in silence.

The huge troll in full battle armor seems to have finished his speech and walks away from the prisoners guided by the cheers of his warriors.

"Did you understand anything of what he said?" Kaldur asks.

"I recognized six words which seem to be similar to the ogre language". Shak says. "The first thing was about -deathmatch-, -sunset- and that word after which he started laughing was -blood-."

Kaldur looks at the setting sun and can't help but swallow. "And the other 3 words?"

"Candy, love and rainbows".

Kaldur raises an eyebrow.

"Uhm, maybe I misunderstood that". Shak quickly tries to change the subject by saying. "You know, if I had to choose one person to fight to the death with, it would be you".

Kaldur raises his eyebrow even higher.

"I mean, like together of course, against other ..."

Kaldur smiles. "I know friend, promises me one thing though. If I die and you survive, take care of Tashi ... as I would have done."

Shak tries to answer but is stopped when several trolls pick up both elves and start dragging them towards a large round structure in the distance. Although bursts of roars and cheers erupt from the building, they cannot hide the sound of fighting...
Eavya Morninglight
Eavya Morninglight

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Eavya Morninglight Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:57 pm

Old friends

Khalida felt the adrenaline pumping in her. Months of training were over it was time to go on a mission once again. She left the Winterwind cottage in haste and hurried to the bunkhouse. She always kept her backpack ready, handy for situations like these when she didn't feel like explaining too much to her sisters. She took an extra quiver with arrows. "It might still not be enough", she said to herself, "Elune only knows what kind of trouble those two idiots have gotten themselves into this time”. On the way out she got a sudden impulse and stopped by another sentinels bed. It looked like nobody had slept in it for months. A group of sentinels gave her a questioning look when she grabbed a bag from under that bed. Khalida didn't have time for long explanations so she just mumbled "Miss Greenfury had borrowed this from me under Operation Moonhammer" as she passed the group and entered the streets of Darnassus, the fairest city of all known worlds.

She went through the “borrowed” bag, it was filled with junk that looked like it was broken and some other gizmos that she had no idea what they were. Finally she found a carefully folded package at the bottom containing what she was after. She carefully moved the package to her own satchel and put the rest of the junk back. She left the "borrowed" bag lying outside the bunkhouse, someone would most likely find it and immediately understand who it belonged to and return it. She was satisfied now, "Surely this should be enough, even when it comes to helping those two", she thought.

She was now all packed. She knew where Shaktaekurte and Kaldur were or were heading but she had no clue how to get there. She could either take the boat to the human lands or she could fly to Ratchet and buy one of their over prized trips across the ocean. The first option would mean going through all the hassle with organising a transport with the humans - it would also be slower. The other option would be faster but she wasn't sure she had enough coins to be able to buy a ticket from the goblins. She decided to gamble with the goblins. They were greedy but somewhat easier to understand than the humans. She ran towards the hippogryphs but as she passed the Bough of the Ancients she heard a voice shouting to her.

"By Cenarius’ beard! If it isn't Sentinel Frostfeather, tamer of owls". Khalida stopped and turned around and started walking towards the familiar voice. The old Kal’dorei male who had stopped her with his words was chuckling heartedly at his own joke. He was wearing ragged clothes with feathers hanging everywhere and he had an owl sitting on his shoulder. The owl looked almost like it was a part of his clothing.

Khalida looked like she was going to rip his head off but the aged kaldorei wasn't intimidated at all, instead he continued, "Whenever I feel like I need good laughter I think of you and ol' Frostbeak." He giggled as he went on "I will never forget when you sent him to scout out the close surroundings and he came back hours later with the remains of a large river rat still in his talons and he was so full that he couldn't even hoot without burping". The old kaldorei let out another chuckle but soon stopped when he saw the expression on Khalida’s face.

Khalida's shoulders had dropped and she had her eyes nailed to the ground. Silently she said "Shan'do, I haven't seen Frostbeak since the Cataclysm. He has always come and gone as he pleased but I fear that I have seen the last of him".

The old man stroked his beard as he studied the Sentinel. He let the moment pass before he said "I clearly see that there was an emotional bond between the two of you. Well done Sentinel! I never thought you would understand that part. I know ol' Frostbeak and as an animal he has the ability to love unconditionally. This ability seems rarer and rarer amongst our own kin, and especially in your line of work.” The old Night Elf reached into his pocket and pulled out a handful of something which he fed to his owl, he then returned his attention to Khalida as he continued, “Ol’ Frostbeak is a very wise owl and very perceptive but unfortunately he also has an extremely strong will. He might not have served you the way you would have wanted him to, but he is yours. He will remain loyal to you until one of you dies. When that happens I will give you another owl or give him a new handler."

Khalida looked back at her old teacher, she had liked him but her failure when it came to his class about owl handling had always haunted her. "Shan'do, is that why you are here, to hand me new owl? This is kind of a bad time..."

"No, no, you silly sentinel there is no need for that. A mutual friend sent me here, he isn’t much for talking but he has been spending quite some time down in Stonetalon - probably since the river rats ran for the high ground when the cataclysm came." He paused and let his words sink in before he clarified "Frostbeak is alive and well and if I understood him correctly there is something you should see down in Stonetalon".

"In Stonetalon, he didn’t give me a clearer rendezvous point than just Stonetalon Mountains? I could search that mountain range for years before finding him… What matters of importance could possibly have happened there anyway Shan'do?”

"Not sure, but remember that he serves you. Maybe not the way you want to and he is trying hard to hide the fact that he cares. My guess is that he has seen something or someone you care about and kept his eye on it. It's hard to tell more precisely with old stubborn owls like him.” The old man shrugged before asking: ”Have somebody you know left recently, heading south. The owls know everything about who moves where, such a shame they are so hard to understand, you see..."

The old elf stopped talking. There was no need to continue since nobody was still there to listen to his wisdoms learnt by millenniums spent with owls. He stroked his beard again as he watched the sentinel dash towards the hippogryphs, "Who would have thought that?" he said to his owl as he lovingly petted it with his other hand, "Who could have guessed that she would care so much for ol' Frostbeak".

"When I find him he is gonna wish that he had died in the cataclysm." Khalida mumbled to herself and gripped her bow so hard that her knuckles whitened as she ran.

As she approached the Stonetalon Mountains she was still angry. A part of her was glad that Frostbeak was still alive and his company would indeed be welcome on this mission. She needed every help she could get. After her honourable discharge from the Order she had gotten so used to being on her own that she hadn't even thought about asking them for help. Everything had happened so quickly from her conversation with Tashi until she was here on her way down south. She hadn't stopped to think and now she regretted it. She should have brought more of them along. She knew at least some of them still cared. “Stupid and sloppy sentinel”, she said to herself. “You know better than that. Always make sure you have enough back up. Live by that rule or die by breaking it.”

So how do you find a specific owl in a large mountain range? Khalida had no idea. Her plan was simple; circle the area for no more than 5 hours and if Frostbeak hadn't shown his ugly beak by then, she was going to continue on the mission without him.

It didn't take her long to find him or rather for him to find her. Shortly after entering the zone she heard a familiar sound of flapping wings behind her. She turned her head and saw him for the first time in months. A little older and a little fatter but there was no question that it was him. She found herself smiling and was surprised by it. Anger had turned to joy in an instant. Maybe the old kaldorei had been right: Maybe there was some sort of bond between them after all. Frostbeak didn't seem to feel like there was any need for a drawn out greeting, he just flew right up to the kaldorei and her hippogryph and then positioned himself next to them for a while before he took off in another direction and hooted for them to follow.

They landed on a mountain-top, close to what looked to be a camp. She couldn’t see it very clearly but it definitely looked bigger than something Kaldur would set up for. Khalida was very confused as to why she had been brought here. She started to doubt her old teacher’s words about Frostbeak’s wisdom but then she made out the silhouette of a young kaldorei woman. She only caught a glimpse of her but she recognized her. She had fought alongside this woman. She had seen her movements in battle and she would recognise her body language anywhere. She moved with determination and grace. It was indeed Lynnayla Firedawn; the priestess in training that now had turned to the path of the arcane; the former leader of the order of Natures Grasp.

What was Lynnayla doing here and why had Frostbeak sent her here? Was Lynnayla in trouble or did Frostbeak just want more company? Khalida turned to ask him only to find that he was nowhere to be found. Once again he had disobeyed her and just snuck away. Khalida couldn't help but to smile though, she had met two old friends in a few hours. She did not understand why Frostbeak had brought her here but she thought about her former teachers words about the owl’s wisdom and decided to try to follow Frostbeak’s wish this time. "One of us has to yield I guess" she said and started walking towards the encampment leading her hippogryph by its reins.
Eavya Morninglight
Eavya Morninglight

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Eavya Morninglight Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:58 pm

Morning

---------------------------------

Lynnayla had her eyes closed. She was standing motionless in the early rays of the sun, concentrating on her breathing and the energies around her. As it happened, she was standing right above one of the Ley Lines and she was preparing herself to tap into them, weaving them into a spell her father had ordered her to practice. She had pulled away her hair tightly to the back of her head, tightening it with a leather strand. Her hand gripped the staff Mirra had given her.

Mirra himself had left early that morning, hunting or gathering. Lynnayla hadn't payed much attention to what he said these days. She tried mostly to ignore him. It had been a few days now since their kiss and Lynnayla had tried to forget it, they hadn't spoken about it since. Still, there was a tension now, between them, that hadn't been there before. It had been really distracting to her studies and focus and so Lynnayla had been relieved when Mirra announced this morning that he would spent the day elsewhere.

Now, she felt her body warm up slightly by the sun and she couldn't help smiling for a moment. Then, she concentrated on her breathing again and started to raise her staff. At the moment she opened her eyes and was about to utter her spell she saw something that made her gasp in astonishment, dropping her staff and instantly she felt the energies she had gathered drain back into the ground.

'Khalida Frostfeather? Wha… What are you doing here?' Lynnayla asked, flustered, knowing very well what the Sentinels' views were on the arcane she had been showing just now.

'Lynnayla. I'm so glad I found you.' Khalidas’ voice was calm but urgent. 'Kaldur and Shaktaekurte are in trouble and they need our help!'

Again a rush of guilt washed over Lynnayla, as she eyed Khalida with shock. She instantly felt awful about what she had done, what Mirra had done to her. She felt horrible at the realization that she had actually been gone a long time. And to make things worse, the two men that held such a special part in her heart, were now in trouble?

She felt the heavy stare of Khalida fixed upon her and took a deep breath to regain her posture. The woman was obviously expecting her to drop everything in rescue of Kaldur and Shaktaekurte. Lynnayla wasn't sure what to do now, what to say... Khalida had often made her feel that way. The sentinel had never understood why she chose to be with Shaktaekurte. She never understood how he had made her smile, how he had made her feel happy. But yet, Khalida was her friend. She had been a strong and comforting presence within the Order. Khalida had made her feel safe even though it had always been hard to really connect to the sentinel... to really read her emotions. And Lynnayla knew that Khalida didn't like her decision to practice the Arcane, instead of being a Priestess of Elune.

'You know... He went out looking for you. That's how Shaktaekurte got in trouble. And Kaldur went after him.'
Again, Khalida stared at the young mage. Lynnayla only felt worse.

'But it is good that I found you. Now we can help those men out of their predicament. I'm certain your... newly found abilities will be of some use. Let's go.'

Khalida turned around without another word, heading towards her hippogryph. Lynnayla gaped at her back, frozen in place and for a moment, unable to make a decision. Should she leave? Leave her father? Leave Mirra, her studies, the amazing history that was her heritage? If Kaldur and Shaktaekurte had managed to get themselves into trouble, surely this wouldn't be a risk-less operation. It could take a long time to return... Would her father be angry? Worried? Would he come after her and force her to come back?

Lynnayla then shook her head and made up her mind. Of course she would go. Of course she would help Khalida save her friends, how could she ever think otherwise! She hurried back to the abandoned camp, rummaged through her supplies and found a piece of parchment, a quill and some ink. Hurriedly she penned down a small note for Mirra and her father, only assuring them that she was needed by a friend and that she would try to return as soon as she could. She grabbed a rock to pin down the parchment and then hastily gathered her most essential possessions into her bag and followed Khalida to the hippogryph.

'Where are we going?' She asked the hunter, after she had made her way up and behind Khalida on the mount.

'Ratchet.' Khalida said without turning her head to adress Lynnayla.
'Ratchet, and after that, we will take a ship... To Troll territory.'
Eavya Morninglight
Eavya Morninglight

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Gift of Elune

"Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!" Kreska Stormraven shouts at herself. She kicks the wall with her boot in frustration, driving a hard leather toecap through the flimsy wood panel.

Kreska is back in her small rented room in Booty Bay. She had waited all day outside the Troll fortress for Kaldur to complete his rescue mission. For sixteen hours she had not removed her gaze from the top of the wall, expecting the two druids to come flying over any moment. They never came, and once the sun went down she returned to Booty Bay, worried and afraid. She could only assume the druid had been captured. And now she finds herself about to attempt a rescue of her own. Kreska's frustration and anger is directed at herself for the foolish mission she is about to undertake.

The Troll fortress was impenetrable from the ground, she knew that. She would only gain access by flying over the wall, and then she would be an easy target for their archers. Without the element of surprise or stealth, the mission would be suicide. Kreska is no stranger to dangerous missions. In 10,000 years of being a warrior and an assassin she had infiltrated enemy territory hundreds of times and pitted herself against some of the most vicious and skilled combatants imaginable. But she only ever undertook missions after careful planning, and entered combat knowing she would have the upper hand. To get close to a target she relied on her own skills of stealth and concealment, or took advantage of her enemies weaknesses for sex or pity. Her target never expected the knife that would appear as her hand ran past their throat or the arrow that came sailing out of the dark from a seemingly empty space. All her training and instincts were telling her to cut her losses and leave the druid to his fate. But something wouldn't let her.

Kreska looks down at her weapons and equipment, arranged in a neat row on her bed. Two lightweight long-handled knives, the sting in her left and right hands. Sixteen small throwing knives to conceal about her person. A crossbow loaded with twenty-four arrows made from some of the oldest trees of the Ashenvale forest, perfectly balanced, perfectly accurate. And finally, a moon-shaped pendant, the most precious gift she ever received from her dead lover. She reaches over and clutches the pendant in her hand.

"Didn't I tell you, you Winterwinds would get me killed?" she says to the pendant. She looks closely at it, admiring the craftsmanship and detail her lover had bestowed on this item. It had been a gift, to celebrate 500 happy years in each others company. Kreska had forgotten their anniversary. But, as her gift they'd made love under the light of the moon and lain naked together making promises until the sun rose the next day. Kreska smiled as she remembered that night and tied the pendant around her neck. She kisses it before making a gentle prayer to Elune.

"I have always been your servant Elune. I do not wish this day to be my last. Please help me now as I do what I feel I must."

After putting on the pendant, Kreska equips all her weaponry, then pulls the hood of her cloak over her head once more. Tonight the Raven is back for one last mission. Opening the door to her room, she finds the Goblin in-keeper in front of her. For a moment the goblin looks like he might ask her about the hole she had just kicked in his wall, but after taking one look at Kreska in her battle gear, he jumps aside and lets her pass without a word.

Out on the main street of Booty Bay it is starting to get dark. Kreska looks up and down the length of the dock, scanning the faces of those around her. It's still not too late for Elune to send a contingent of Sentinels to help me she thinks hopefully. Looking round she sees mostly goblins. Booty Bay attracts a few Alliance travellers, but at this hour they were mostly crawling out of the bars and would be little use in a fight against trolls. She spies a couple of tough-looking human mercenaries by the dock, but it quickly becomes apparent that they have drunk one too many Dwarven ales to be much help tonight. Not this time. She starts moving in the direction of the gryphon handler.

Just as she leaves the doorway of the Inn, a voice calls out to her from inside. It comes in the language of her people, and floats like a song over the din of the other common languages being spoken all around.

"Excuse me sister can you help. We're looking for druid two men of our kind."

Kreska turns sharply and comes face-to-face with two other night elves. One was dressed as a sentinel and the other wore a robe.

"Elune be praised!" she exclaims realising her prayer has been answered.
Eavya Morninglight
Eavya Morninglight

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Battle Royale

Shak shivers at the sound of the cheering trolls. He, Kaldur and 14 other 'contestants' stand gathered on the arena battlefield. Although the other combatants were prisoners just as him. Everyone of them is geared up and ready to fight.

"I'm sorry" Shak says.

Kaldur turns to his friend. "It's OK, it was my choice to come after you. Besides, we aren't dead yet".

"Yeah, I know, but it would be so sad for you to die now, with you becoming a granddad soon and all".

Kaldur grabs Shak's by the tabard. "What do you mean?!"

Shak puts up his hands defensively. "Easy there, I have nothing to do with it. But since I've been gone for a while I figured the signs would have been so obvious you would know by now".

Kaldur stares at his friend in disbelief. "Then how do you ..."

Shak shrugs. "You know at Stormwind university, they give you a title based on your field of knowledge. They called me a biologist with a master in mammal and insect procreation."

"But how ..." Kaldur stops abruptly when he notices the trolls in the stands have gone silent. The huge troll commander has ascended a small platform and starts giving a speech in his crude language.
One of the other contestants, a human mage, seems to have enough knowledge of the language to give a decent translation.
"He wants us to fight to the dead, the last two men standing get a reward in gold and are granted freedom".

A loud gong signals the beginning of the battle.
All the contestants peer at each other not sure what to do, until a gnome warlock lets out a squeal when the dagger of an undead rogue stabs him from behind. Suddenly all around fights break out between the combatants. Shak morphs into his boomkin body while Kaldur takes on his cat form, together they jump into the fray.

Slowly Kaldur prowls toward the blood elf paladin. Unaware of the druid creeping up behind her back, the blood elf seems to be surveying the battle.
"You won't be messing around with my friend no more, you filthy harlot" he thinks. But right when he is about to take the final leap, he hears a sound coming from his right. Turning his head he sees a dwarven warrior swinging his huge hammer at him. Although most of his view is taken by the hammer which is coming straight for his head, he can't help but notice the gleaming madness in the dwarfs cold blue eyes.
Mere milliseconds before the hammer would smash Kaldur's head in, the face explodes in a bright white flash. Both dwarf and hammer are flung into the air in a cloud of blood.
Kaldur turns his head and sees the paladin catch her shield with a swift movement. The bright light fading when it touches her firm grip. But he doesn't have much time to ponder on this. The dwarf has managed the get back on his feet, and seemingly unaware of his ruined faces, charges at the druid.
But this time Kaldur meets him prepared and soon the dwarf is lying on the ground again, bleeding from gashes and cuts all over his body. "You may have saved my life, but this isn't the time for returning favours, next time I'll get you blood elf" Kaldur growls. But the elf is already to far away caught in another fight to hear him.

Shak feels the exhaustion through his whole body. The orc warrior in front of him is already on the ground, but as long as the brute keeps moving, Shak lets star after star smash the thick green skull. With a surprisingly soft grunt the orc finally stops moving.
Shak lets go of his boomkin form and falls on his knees. He notices that the fighting around him has stopped. In the corner he sees the human mage shaking and mumbling to himself. The poor man has depleted so much of his powers that he has lost his mind.
All over the arena's field moans can be hurt. But besides from Shak only two combatants are still more or less standing. He locks eyes with the blood elf paladin. She seems so tired that she can't even lift her heavy shield. Her normally bright green eyes now have a darker hue.
Behind her he sees Kaldur, still in his cat form, ready to jump her. But even though he is within striking distance, something seems to be holding him back.

Shak tries to stand up when suddenly the world behind him seems to explode.

Kaldur looks at his friend struggling to stand up when the stand behind Shak disappears in a huge explosion. He punches his claws deep into the ground to stop himself from behind blown away too. Debris and bodies fly around him.

"Kaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalduuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu" he hears Shak shout when flying past him, suddenly abrupted when Shak smacks against the arena wall.
Eavya Morninglight
Eavya Morninglight

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Eavya Morninglight Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:59 pm

Written by Frostfeather (who has gone to Finland)

----------------

Goddess, don't let them take me alive.

They rented the gryphons and headed out. They landed as close as they dared. This was not their terrain. All sounds in these forrests were new to them. Every sound was a potential threat. This was extremely stressful for Khalida, she was used to the feel of the forrest. The jungle didn't make much sense.

Sentinel Stormraven drew a detailed map on the ground, marking guards and structures of interest. When she was done they all came to the same agreement, they had go in from the air. But they had to get more information about where the prisoners were. Trolls were a deadly foe. A fortress of that size probably had all kinds of witchdoctors and shapedshifters, practising their perverted form of druidism.

Their plan was simple. Keep watching for an opportunity and a way for Kreska to stealth in and get the status and whereabouts of their objectives. Frostfeather would try and create a diversion at the other side of the camp and Lynnayla would fly in with the arial extraction units, extract the objectives and Kreska before picking up Frostfeather at the rendevous point. There were several weak spots in their plan. How Kreska would get in naturally, but also communication. They did not dare to bring the gryphons too close to the camp yet both Kreska and Khalida felt uneasy about leaving Lynnayla out in the jungle alone.

They decided that Kreska should go first and see if she could spot a way to get in. Khalida would stay with Lynnayla. Then if Stormraven thought she had figured a way to get in unnoticed Khalida would sneak up to the camp to plan a diversion. When they were left alone Sentinel Frostfeather started to go through her equipment in a similar fashion to how Sentinel Stromraven had done the night before. Lynnayla fed the gryphons and looked at the sentinel.

"Khalida do you ever get afraid before entering battle?" she asked.

Without taking her eyes off what she was doing she answered "Lynnayla, we are heading into battle. In every battle there is a risk that you can die. We cannot fear death. Fear makes you slow. Fear makes you sloppy. I have learned not to be afraid in the heat of battle." It sounded mechanical, rehearsed. Khalida heard it herself and paused her preparations as she continued. "I do not fear my own death. I fear for the lives of those I care about."

Lynnayla nodded and walked closer to the sentinel. "Those you care about", she repeated thoughtfully, "Am I amongst those Khalida, now that I am an arcanist".

"I am a sentinel. I serve High Priestess Tyrande. It is her wish, my hands." Khalida paused to see if she had made herself clear but the expression on Lynnayla's face told her that she had to clarify more. "I fight for her, I kill for her. I bleed for her, I am prepared to die for her. Do you really think I would question her wisdom in this matter?" Khalida shook her head before answering herself "No my loyalty is absolute".

Lynnayla seemed a bit dissatisfied with that answer but let the issue rest. She knew there was no point in talking to Sentinel Frostfeather when she was focusing on a mission. She would have a hard time getting the Sentinel to acknowledge their friendship otherwise but it was impossible to get her to do so now. She went back to looking after the gryphons. She would ask Khalida later on if she got the opportunity.

Three hours later Kreska came back. "No way in. There is none. To make matters worse there are more and more trolls pouring in. Kreska looked to Khalida. "If I time it right and if I manage to kill a guard without getting spotted then I might have a thirty minute window. That is not enough time to get them out." The two sentinels looked at each other in understanding. They would have to gamble and let Kreska enter then do the diversion and hope the Goddess would grant them a miracle and let her bring the objectives out exactly as Lynn came with the gryphons. They both understood the dangers and the low chance of succeeding.

Finally Kreska spoke with a shrug "So be it then. we have to try something. You go and prepare your diversion, we will make our move in two hours". Kreska started to instruct Lynnayla while Khalida moved towards the fortress.

-------------

Khalida Frostfeather made her way to the fortress. It was slow. She moved swift and silent through her own forests, but the jungle was different. The sounds were different, the smells were different, the grass was different. Its entire soul was different. It was slow but she kept on going. There was no doubt that she was deep in troll territory. There were Voodoo dolls hanging from trees and there were painted masks and hiddeous statues of their false Gods on every ridge. The sound of the drums were getting closer and closer. Finally she saw it with her own eyes. She climbed a tree to see beyond the walls. Kreska had been right. There was too high walls, not enough hiding places and too many trolls for anything other than a snatch-and-run rescue.

There were a lot of trolls gathering, something was definitely up. Bonfires, drums and strange dances, cauldrons the size of a small house. The trolls seemed to be celebrating something. No doubt one of their false Gods. Khalida hoped that sacrificing prisoners wasn't part of the ritual but with these savages she suspected that it might be just the case. She melded to the shadows and watched the trolls feast. Eventually the trolls gathered around some sort of shallow pit, it looked almost like one of the arenas the goblins were so fond of. The games were about to begin. She watched the troll champions killing off weakened prisoners one after another.

"Savages."

Then she saw them, her old friends, she shook her head and corrected herself, she saw the objectives. "Crystal clear mind now now Khalida, no room for error. Emotions makes you sloppy" she thought. She witnessed her objectives enter the arena amongst other fighters still in a decent condition. This was going to be a blood bath.

"Savages!"

So all their planning meant nothing. There was no way the trolls would let Kaldur and Shaktaekurte live long enough for Kreska and Lynn to come. She had to signal them somehow. "Guess it's time for plan B" she thought as she reached into her backpack and took out the package she had "borrowed" from Shiandra. A quick prayer: "Goddess don't let these savages get me alive", before she started to make her way closer to the fortress. She was soon within bow range from the walls of the troll fortress. She had a clean shot for one of the guards and she took it. Her arrow pierced the trolls throat and with no more sound than a "grglrgrlgl" he sank to the ground. She dashed towards the wall. Looking for guards that might have spotted her but everyone seemed more interested in the execution of the prisoners than of the surroundings.

"Savages, no discipline."

She quickly uncovered the package she had "borrowed" from Shiandra. She remembered when Shiandra had explained what it was. The perfect bomb, a combination of various demolition technologies spiced up with her own imagination she had said. Khalida placed the contraption towards the wall then rushed away to be at a safe distance. She threw herself to the ground and waited for the blow but there was none. "This is what happens when you trust technology to do the work for you". She cursed at the technology. What good had it ever done for anyone?

She heard the troll's cheers and chanting grow more intense. All hell had broken loose behind the wall. Arcane flashes and the sound of metal clashing. They must be going at it. She had to try something and decided to head for the wall again but this time she wasn't so lucky. As she ran towards the wall one of the troll guards saw her and yelled out. No doubt he had known she was out there. "stupid to think they would ignore a dead guard on their wall forever" she thought as she fired her bow. Once again she hit her mark but the damage was done. Guards rushed to the wall and she heard a witch doctor chanting his evil spells somewhere behind the wall. Khalida retreated, trying to fire at the wall as she ran for the trees. She dreaded what hexes or minions the witch doctor would try to summon upon her. Soon it became clear that he had chosen to fight her with fire. A large fire elemental was jumping down the wall.

Maybe it wasn't the ultimate bomb but it sure was a big bang. The heat of the fire elemental detonated Shiandra's device and it blew away a large chunk of the wall, the closest guards all met their maker. Khalida was running through the rain of fire that was the remains of the witch doctors elemental. The trolls would soon enough be on her heels. "How did you like that signal Kreska" she thought with a smile before she turned her focus to herself "Move Sentinel, keep on moving, faster, faster" She repeated what was important in her head. To stay focused. Can't loose focus now. "Head for the RV point, Don't stop moving. Go go go! Take the right shots but don't stop moving." She threw her glaive away, she decided it was too heavy. She needed speed!

They were gaining on her. She heard the drums and yells getting closer. Mounts? Shapeshifters? Just the advantage of home turf? She didn't know but she knew it would soon be over."This will be a death worthy a Sentinel" she thought. "Tonight we reunite my love". She decided to make a stand right at the RV point. It was a good spot for a last stand. There was still the possibility Kreska and Lynnayla would show up but with the odds they had against them she almost didn't dare to even hope. It didn't matter anyway. Only the next shot did. Focus. She took her bow and aimed it towards the trees. Soon they would come through those leaves and she would take as many as possible with her. She glanced to the moon and once again prayed. "Goddess, don't let them take me alive."

The final part of this story this weekend!
Eavya Morninglight
Eavya Morninglight

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

The Beginning of the End

Kaldur Winterwind felt giddy with the sensation of weightlessness. High above the Troll arena he felt like a god. Up here everything made sense. He looked down at his body far below. His elven form looked so small, so insignificant. A single body was frail and vulnerable. How had his soul ever felt safe trapped in there?

He wanted to see it end again. In the blink of an eye time went back to before the bang, and then like a rolling stone picking up speed it slowly started moving forward. He watched in slow motion as the fortress wall and arena stand exploded again, the bodies of countless Trolls being pitched into the air and falling to the ground like rain drops. He watched as Shaktaekurte was picked off his feet by the maelstrom and sent hurtling across the arena like a rag-doll tossed across the room by an angry child. His friend would be okay - he knew that. He wouldn't be joining Kaldur anytime soon. Thick skull that Shak, he thought with a smile.

Not far from Shak he saw himself. His feral cat form dug its claws into the ground. He had avoided being picked up by the shock-wave, but failed to dodge the great slab of stone that came bouncing along the arena floor from out of the blast. It smacked him straight in the face. I must have gone quick, he thought, I can't remember feeling any pain.

He looked around now for the other faces he knew. With eagle vision, each friend he looked for he could find with ease and quickly bring into sharp focus. He knew where each had been, and if he looked hard enough, where they were going. Kreska Stormraven, the sly sentinel, did not miss her chance. Within seconds of the fortress wall and stand exploding she was there - a shadow stepping confidently through the dust and debris against the tide of Trolls coming out...

...Beyond the arena he could see Lynnayla Firedawn, sat with her Gryphons in the high strong branches of the jungle canopy. As smoke erupted from the Troll fortress Lynn gasped. "By Elune, Khalida what have you done?" She did not hesitate long. With a quick blink she was on her mount, and leading a pack of Gryphons toward the fray. That's the girl I fell in love with once, Kaldur thought as she gallantly rose into the sky...

...He turned his attention to Khalida Frostfeather now, darting through the forest, a horde of Trolls and their incantations hot on her heels. Khalida would bring many of them down before they got to her...

...Looking past her he could see Booty Bay, the boats coming in from foreign shores, a Goblin idly tossing a coin into the air. How far could he see? He had to find out...

...On a dusty path in Kalimdor, Eliinör Ellanesse wandered with her brother, whilst Ravna chased a squirrel into the undergrowth...

...Lyminia Crystala bathed naked in a pool deep in the Ashenvale forest. She kept one eye on her sword at all times...

...On campaign in the Southern Barrens, several members of Natures Grasp sat together reflecting on the days’ battle, surrounded by Alliance tents. Nelani Moonleaf, Kaldurs’ former student-turned-master, is telling a story, while the gentle Priestess Jyana and others listen. Dréfurion Thistlemane is amongst them, but sits quietly on his own gazing up at the moon...

...In Darnassus, Tashi Winterwind clutches the small swell of her stomach. Her pregnancy is obvious to Kaldur now and it lifts his spirit only higher into the clouds...

Kaldurs gazing from within the clouds is interrupted when he feels icy cold fingers lacing around his own. He looks to his side and sees a face he recognises, the girl of Winterspring who has haunted his dreams for the last few hundred years. Kaldur smiles at her softly and she smiles back.

“Is this what it’s like to be dead?” he asks the spirit.

“Sometimes,” the girl replies. Her voice is soft and melodic like birdsong.

“I could enjoy this.” Kaldur says. And he means it. He feels so content seeing the events of the world playing out below him knowing they’re not his responsibility any more.

“One day soon my kindred, but not today. I have need of you yet.” the girl says. Kaldur stares at her failing to comprehend her words. "Winter is coming!" she whispers.

Suddenly the spirit girl is upon the druid. Pale cold arms and legs wrap around him. Her grip is desperate like a passionate embrace. Kaldur tries to hug her back but she releases him before he can get his arms around her. He feels different. Before her embrace he felt as light as a feather, but now his spirit feels as heavy as lead. Kaldur realises that he is falling, and quickly gathering speed. Clouds rush past him as he soars down to earth. The ground is getting closer every second, and his lifeless elven body grows larger and larger, an empty vessel waiting to be filled…

----------------------

Kaldur wakes with a start. He sits bolt upright, taking deep gulping breathes of acrid dusty air, like a newborn filling his lungs for the first time. Someone is holding his hand and stroking his hair. His eyes are dry and gritty, they water furiously as he tries to open them. Through swimming vision he can see a girl standing over him. He blinks, and slowly the face of Lynnayla Firedawn comes into focus. He smiles. “Lynnayla my love…” he starts to say.

“Kaldur can you stand? We can’t stay here. We must find Shak. Do you know where he is?” Lynnayla’s voice is urgent.

As his vision starts to clear Kaldur looks around and takes in his surroundings. What he sees is utter chaos! Dirt and debris from the explosion cloud the air. The ground looks like a battlefield with the bodies of countless Trolls and arena competitors carpeting the floor. There is fighting all around. Orcs, slaves, trolls, and beasts from the contest are all locked in combat. It is unclear who is on whose side or even if the fighters themselves know. He can see the back of Kreska Stormraven stood nearby as she kicks a Troll to the ground. The fast moving Sentinel prevents anyone approaching Lynnayla as she crouches over Kaldur.

“Kaldur, where is Shaktaekurte?” Lynnayla asks again. The question brings back a brief memory of the white-haired elf soaring through the air shouting Kaldurs’ name.

“This way!” Kaldur replies. He gets to his feet and hobbles in the direction of his friend as quickly as his legs will take him.

To be continued
Eavya Morninglight
Eavya Morninglight

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Sentinels Last Stand

Kaldur rushes through the fray. Figures fight all around him, but he pays them little attention as he concentrates on finding his friend though the haze of the post-explosion arena. He ignores the Troll that comes at him from the left who finds his head split open by one of Kreska’s throwing knives. He doesn’t even notice the large Orc that comes at him from his right, who trips and knocks himself unconscious when his feet become frozen to the ground by Lynnayla.

He reaches Shaktaekurte and finds him a ragged heap on the ground. “Shak, can you hear me brother?” He asks as he kneels by the druid, lifting his head and brushing his white hair from his face.

Shaktaekurte’s eyes dart around independently in different directions for a few seconds. “Candy… love… rainbow’s..” he mutters. Kaldur shakes him gently. His vision seems to come together and he looks back into the eyes of his old friend. “Kal… Kallibob.”

Kaldur smiles. “Close enough Shak.” He replies, relieved to hear his friend speak.

Lynnayla appears beside Kaldur. She grips Shaks hands and strokes his face whispering gentle words under her breath. Kaldur watches as Shak turns to her. The former lovers look into each other’s eyes. Neither one says anything, sharing the moment of their reunion in silence.

“Come you two! There will be time for that later. We need to mount up and get out of here. NOW!” Kreska says, interrupting the pair. Kaldur turns to see her ushering five gryphons from the air.

“Kreska wait, there is another we must find. Shaks gir…” he starts to say before he realizes he is in range of Lynnayla’s hearing. “Shaks cellmate. A blood-elf. She helped us.”

“Kaldur, this is not the time. We need to get to Frostfeather. There was a blood elf I passed on the way in here, heading into the jungle. If it was her I’m sure she made it out alive.” Kreska replied.

“Khalida is here too? Where is she?” Kaldur asked forgetting his debt to the blood elf.

-------------------

Khalida Frostfeather had taken great care in choosing the rendezvous point. The narrow cliff-edge meant that if she were followed, her attackers would not be able to flank her and get at her from behind. However, the 100-meter drop now behind her meant one other thing – without a flying mount she had no route for escape. This was where Khalida stood ready to make her final stand. The sun was setting behind her, seemingly taking all hope of survival and reunion with her friends with it.

In their fevered rush to catch her, the Trolls had stumbled into the traps she had set in advance around this point, unleashing combinations of frost, flame, and snakes. Then as each figure had made a move from the canopy of the trees towards where Frostfeather stood, they had been greeted by one of her arrows. Khalida did not know how many of her pursuers she had killed or injured. It did not seem to matter, the Trolls just kept on coming. The enemy had excellent archers themselves, but she had not seen a single arrow come at her since they first started giving chase. Khalida was worried she knew why. “They want me alive.” She thought. “They know revenge can be served far better in one of their pits.” She had given some fleeting thought to her other option, the cliff behind her. “There is no honor in suicide, but perhaps if one of them is stupid enough to let me take him with me, Elune might forgive me.”

A roughly-hewn blade became visible between a couple of branches and Khalida sent an arrow where she thought the body would be. She heard nothing. “They’re just toying with me now”. Her arms were growing tired but she quickly reached around to her back. Her fingers groped the air for a moment, before discovering what every Sentinel feared the most - her final arrow!

Khalida Frostfeather took more than her usual amount of time bringing the fletched end of the arrow up to the string. She wiped her brow to clear the sweat from her eyes, and wet her fingers to smooth out the feathers. If this was the last arrow she was ever going to fire, she was going to make it count. As she drew the arrow back and held it there. Her right arm shook slightly with fatigue. “Steady Khalida, complete your duty.” She said quietly.

The Trolls must have noticed the change in her stance. Several forms appeared together from the cover of the trees. “Eight, nine, ten… not many. Did I really take that many of you in the pursuit.” She whispered to herself. “Come on I dare you. You know there is at least one more among you who will not be returning to camp tonight.”

Khalida felt a welcome cool breeze stir behind her as she focused on the approaching Trolls. She had picked her target. One Troll definitely had the look of a certain Nightelf she did not like – something in the eyes. But, before she could let her arrow slip, something changed. The Trolls had been approaching together like a gently rising tide, now they seemed to be falling away. They were retreating.

“Come on!” she shouted in frustration at the Trolls. “I’m ready to die, why aren’t you? Lets get this over with!”

“Sentinel Frostfeather!” a voice came from behind her. “You’ve completely ignored your rear flank, what if we had been the enemy?”

As the Trolls disappeared back into the trees Khalida turned to find out why. Behind her were five Gryphons, four were mounted by her comrades. The mounted elves looked menacing, more than a match for the remaining Trolls. Kreska had her crossbow raised. Kaldur was snarling in the direction of the trees. Lynnayla’s gaze was like ice, whilst her fingers glowed a burning red. Shaktaekurte was giving one of his toughest looks, but Khalida noticed he was swaying a lot on his mount and struggling to keep his focus.

“Sentinel Stormraven.” Khalida replied with a curt smile. “You’re late.” The other sentinel give her a respectful nod.

“And you two!” said Khalida turning on Kaldur and Shaktaekurte. “This is the last time I come and get you out of trouble. You mark my words.”

The other elves grinned back at her. The remaining gryphon came down to Frostfeather. She stroked the her snow-white mane of feathers before mounting and kicking the gryphons flanks, raising her into the air.

“Where to now?” Frostfeather asked once she had reached the others. The group all looked at one another. Shaktaekurte swayed gently in his saddle

“Anywhere but Booty Bay.” replied Kaldur, with a look of disgust. “If I never go there again it will be too soon.”

“Then this way.” said Lynnayla pointing west. “Lets see what we’ll find over the horizon.”

The five elves rose their mounts higher in the air and flew in the direction of the setting sun.

The End?

Thanks to those who have made it this far with the reading, and extra thanks to Jasper, Kristopher, and Amber for writing this and making it such good fun - with one or two surprises too. I'm not sure if any of the others will write a bit about what happens to their character next under here. I do know that at least a couple of the heroes of this tale will be returning to Darnassus and Natures Grasp after a long absence - hopefully the other two will also. Very Happy
Eavya Morninglight
Eavya Morninglight

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Frostfeather Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:39 am

Shocked
That is quite a wall of text. Seeing it edited together like that... It was a few very hectic but entertaining weeks.
Frostfeather
Frostfeather

Character sheet
Name: Khalida Frostfeather
Title: Sentinel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down