Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12 month annual pass...

+7
Lini
Mandui
Morinth
Saevir
itsy
The Z
Aldric Essalus Helmfrid
11 posters

Go down

12 month annual pass... Empty 12 month annual pass...

Post by Aldric Essalus Helmfrid Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:50 pm

Just went to sign up for this as I thought it would be at a discount price or something. You know, like with other subscription games like LotRO where you pay for a year, or Xbox live. I was wrong in thinking this. It's a damn contract where you continue your monthly subscription but are -not- allowed to miss a payment until the contract ends. How do I know I will want to play the game this time next year still? At least with a one off payment you don't have to worry about they billing you once a month. You do get a free in game mount and Diablo 3 with it, and beta access but who cares about that? Just thought I'd let you all know. It's not what it seems to be at first, and not what MMO-Champion describe it as. It's a contract, not a one off annual payment.
Aldric Essalus Helmfrid
Aldric Essalus Helmfrid

Character sheet
Name: Aldric Essalus Helmfrid
Title: Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

12 month annual pass... Empty Re: 12 month annual pass...

Post by The Z Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:15 pm

I figured it would be like this, otherwise I could've *maybe* considered it. I'm also pretty sure that even just the access to MoP beta attracts some people to pay over 100€ of this, Diablo 3 and mount included or not.

Not to mention that if it wouldn't be a contract, Blizzard could possibly end up giving a whole lot more free D3 copies than they'll end up doing with this deal. Whatever that would be a good business solution or not, I don't know. I just felt like answering something! Tired mind! Need to play Batman now!

The Z

Character sheet
Name: Zobke, aka, Mr. Z
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by itsy Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:11 pm

Well if you think you're gonna be playing for 12 months you might as well get Diablo 3 for free and the fancy mount
itsy
itsy

Character sheet
Name: @_@
Title: @_@

Back to top Go down

Post by Aldric Essalus Helmfrid Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:17 pm

Do it then, just saying they're asking for you to sign a contract not buy a years worth of gametime and what MMO hut said, "WoW subscribers get Diablo 3 for free!" is not true.
Aldric Essalus Helmfrid
Aldric Essalus Helmfrid

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Saevir Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:39 pm

what I don't get is why make it a contract for monthly payments rather than just a one-time payment for 12 months of game time like the 3-month and 6-month subscriptions?

Obscuring the exact price-per-month between the different subscription offers maybe? Is there some advantage I'm missing?
Saevir
Saevir

Character sheet
Name: Saevir Dawnseeker
Title: Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Morinth Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:42 pm

So you can't change your mind and run off to other MMO's. Blizz are getting worried.
Morinth
Morinth

Character sheet
Name: Captain Morinth
Title: Queen of the Pirates! (self-proclaimed!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandui Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:49 pm

Is it because of the increasingly inactive subscriptions? Naaaaah....

>_>
Mandui
Mandui

Back to top Go down

Post by Lini Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:49 pm

Saevir wrote:what I don't get is why make it a contract for monthly payments rather than just a one-time payment for 12 months of game time like the 3-month and 6-month subscriptions?

Obscuring the exact price-per-month between the different subscription offers maybe? Is there some advantage I'm missing?
Imagine you just paid for your usual 6 month subscription but then wanted to take advantage of this offer.

So you can't change your mind and run off to other MMO's. Blizz are getting worried.
Or rather, they don't want WoW players to leave for D3 while the new expansion is under works.
Lini
Lini

Back to top Go down

Post by itsy Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:50 pm

Saevir wrote:what I don't get is why make it a contract for monthly payments rather than just a one-time payment for 12 months of game time like the 3-month and 6-month subscriptions?

You can do it with 2 6 month payments if you'd rather. I'm betting the reason for it being monthly is there's a lot of kids who play the game who might want to use it and might not have the money neccessary to make one lump payment of cash up front.

Anyway, I signed up for it. The only other mmo I see coming up that I might want to try is GW2, which doesn't have a monthly fee anyway. The Star Wars mmo looks booooring.
itsy
itsy

Character sheet
Name: @_@
Title: @_@

Back to top Go down

Post by Aldric Essalus Helmfrid Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:30 pm

I'd sign up but I might want to take a break or not have the funds to pay for a month and have to wait a week to get said funds into my account. I'd rather pay a lump sum like after christmas or something.. I really want beta access too.. this sucks. I'm a paying customer and won't run off to another MMO, why do I get left out for those who willingly sign contracts. Grr..
Aldric Essalus Helmfrid
Aldric Essalus Helmfrid

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Saevir Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:41 pm

glilya wrote:
You can do it with 2 6 month payments if you'd rather. I'm betting the reason for it being monthly is there's a lot of kids who play the game who might want to use it and might not have the money neccessary to make one lump payment of cash up front.

Kids are not allowed to sign legally binding contracts in most countries, so I'm having a hard time thinking it could be that.
Saevir
Saevir

Character sheet
Name: Saevir Dawnseeker
Title: Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Ixirar Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:44 pm

Saevir wrote:
glilya wrote:

Kids are not allowed to sign legally binding contracts in most countries, so I'm having a hard time thinking it could be that.

Blizz has no way to confirm wether or not you're really born on your stated birthday so you can just put your birthdate to before 1993 and you're good to go.
Ixirar
Ixirar

Back to top Go down

Post by Aldric Essalus Helmfrid Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:01 am

At the end of the day this was because of their fear of SWtoR (Obviously, as they would not care if you played Diablo 3 instead of WoW, they are taking your cash either way), they could of easily add a year game time payment even if so called kids play the game and can't afford it, nothing is stopping Blizzard from doing it. Why they haven't done it is probably because they can charge fees for people who did not have the sufficient funding for them to deduct from your account, to ensure you play WoW for the next year (Past SWtoR hype phase) and so that they recieve a sustainable income rather than a large boom and then nothing for a full year. Their management and development methods are now probably tied to deep into the income provided by WoW subscriptions for them to just not recieve any.

This annoys me greatly though. If the one thing that has annoyed me at all coming from Blizzcon so far it is this, I love MoP and everything it has to offer, yet something unrelated to the actual game of WoW I have found fault with..
Aldric Essalus Helmfrid
Aldric Essalus Helmfrid

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Lini Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:42 am

Cyrdain wrote:At the end of the day this was because of their fear of SWtoR (Obviously, as they would not care if you played Diablo 3 instead of WoW, they are taking your cash either way), they could of easily add a year game time payment even if so called kids play the game and can't afford it, nothing is stopping Blizzard from doing it. Why they haven't done it is probably because they can charge fees for people who did not have the sufficient funding for them to deduct from your account, to ensure you play WoW for the next year (Past SWtoR hype phase) and so that they recieve a sustainable income rather than a large boom and then nothing for a full year. Their management and development methods are now probably tied to deep into the income provided by WoW subscriptions for them to just not recieve any.

This annoys me greatly though. If the one thing that has annoyed me at all coming from Blizzcon so far it is this, I love MoP and everything it has to offer, yet something unrelated to the actual game of WoW I have found fault with..
This offer isn't aimed at those thinking of migrating from WoW to SWTOR.
I mean, why do you quit playing WoW? Because you're bored with the game or otherwise just not satisfied with the product.
Offering D3 for free to those who agree to keep playing WoW for a year longer won't interest those who are looking for a new MMO.
What it *does* do is keep those playing who would've quit or taken a break from WoW while waiting for the new expansion.
Lini
Lini

Back to top Go down

Post by Seranita Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:34 am

wait so basicaly even thow i have been payying prity much none stop for 3 years no missed payments i need to do a full year contract to take advantage of this offer?
Seranita
Seranita

Character sheet
Name: Monrena
Title: Trainee Vindicator/engeneer

Back to top Go down

Post by Lini Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:53 am

Yes. It's there to *keep* you playing and not to reward you for having played for a long time.
Lini
Lini

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:07 am

Well, I bought the 12 month thing, and I'm excited Very Happy

Beta access for meeeeee

Back to top Go down

Post by Ixirar Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:41 am

Well, the Diablo 3 for free thing means that if you were planning on buying that game anyways, then you're basically saving 4 months off your 1 year subscription. And then you get a mount and a beta key.

Basically, this deal is very good if you're planning to play WoW AND D3. Even better if you're fanatic about getting into the next beta test, as I imagine a beta key will be expensive on eBay.
Ixirar
Ixirar

Back to top Go down

Post by Aldric Essalus Helmfrid Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:37 pm

I mean, why do you quit playing WoW? Because you're bored with the game or otherwise just not satisfied with the product.
Offering D3 for free to those who agree to keep playing WoW for a year longer won't interest those who are looking for a new MMO.
What it *does* do is keep those playing who would've quit or taken a break from WoW while waiting for the new expansion.

Funny how they announce this shortly before the release of SWtoR then. Why would they want to loose so much money on D3 sales just for the sake of not paying for 2 months of subscription to wait for the next expansion. It's blatantly to keep people playing through and past the SWtoR hype. As loosing subscribers to another MMO is a greater loss than loosing sales from D3/2 month skipped subscription.
Aldric Essalus Helmfrid
Aldric Essalus Helmfrid

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Lini Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:01 pm

Cyrdain wrote:

Funny how they announce this shortly before the release of SWtoR then. Why would they want to loose so much money on D3 sales just for the sake of not paying for 2 months of subscription to wait for the next expansion. It's blatantly to keep people playing through and past the SWtoR hype. As loosing subscribers to another MMO is a greater loss than loosing sales from D3/2 month skipped subscription.
Imagine the following scenario:
You're bored with WoW and are going to pick up this new and exciting MMO called SWtoR. Then comes Blizzard and says that those who agree to keep subscribing to WoW for 12 months will get their latest new game Diablo 3 for free.

What will you do?
A) Take the deal and keep subscribing to WoW because hey, free Diablo 3! Nevermind that you were actually bored with WoW already.
B) Pass the deal and get SWtoR instead. WoW is still boring even if you'd get a free game with it. You're not interested in Diablo 3 anyway.
C) Pass the deal and get SWtoR instead. WoW is too boring to keep subscribing to it for a year, even if you'd get that brand new Diablo 3 you've been waiting for since forever. You can just get it the normal way.

Offering a completely different game that you could just as well buy from stores isn't an incentive to keep playing an older game.

If this deal was aimed at those planning to migrate from WoW to SWotR they'd offer something that is actually related to WoW.
Lini
Lini

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanara Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:21 pm

I took the thing because hey, I'll still be playing for the sake of Roleplay until Pandas arrive and I leave for greener pastures <.<

Might as well get Beta, Diablo III, and a nice pegasus to go with it.
Sanara
Sanara

Character sheet
Name: Farseer Sanara of Ver Ager
Title: Matriarch of Ere Argus

Back to top Go down

Post by Aldric Essalus Helmfrid Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:02 pm

Lini wrote:
Cyrdain wrote:

Imagine the following scenario:
You're bored with WoW and are going to pick up this new and exciting MMO called SWtoR. Then comes Blizzard and says that those who agree to keep subscribing to WoW for 12 months will get their latest new game Diablo 3 for free.

What will you do?
A) Take the deal and keep subscribing to WoW because hey, free Diablo 3! Nevermind that you were actually bored with WoW already.
B) Pass the deal and get SWtoR instead. WoW is still boring even if you'd get a free game with it. You're not interested in Diablo 3 anyway.
C) Pass the deal and get SWtoR instead. WoW is too boring to keep subscribing to it for a year, even if you'd get that brand new Diablo 3 you've been waiting for since forever. You can just get it the normal way.

Offering a completely different game that you could just as well buy from stores isn't an incentive to keep playing an older game.

If this deal was aimed at those planning to migrate from WoW to SWotR they'd offer something that is actually related to WoW.

Who says you have to be bored of a game to stop playing it? What if a 'better' game comes out (Like GW2 or SWtoR). Also what do you mean "Actually related to WoW"? Is a WoW mount not related to WoW?

I know for a fact it's because of SWtOR because when Warhammer Online was released they upgraded their RaF system, when LoTRO went F2P they updated their scrolls of resurrection or added them. I for one took their offer thinking I'll probably play for another year. Then a friend of mine asked if I wanted to roll Sith with him in SWtOR and tried to convince me, I couldn't justify paying for 2 MMO's as I have this annual pass now. So many other players who assume they will be playing for another year will take this pass and then when SWtoR is released be less likely to be tempted to leave for it as they have to pay for another half a year of WoW.
Aldric Essalus Helmfrid
Aldric Essalus Helmfrid

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Seranita Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:24 pm

hehe i did it Razz
Seranita
Seranita

Character sheet
Name: Monrena
Title: Trainee Vindicator/engeneer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sorayah Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:50 pm

Lini wrote:

Imagine you just paid for your usual 6 month subscription but then wanted to take advantage of this offer.
Just commenting on this that those 6 months would still count towards the year, as the FAQ at http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US&tag=D3WoWFAQ&rhtml=true says.
Sorayah
Sorayah

Character sheet
Name: Sorayah Moonseeker
Title: Priestess of the Moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Lini Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:15 pm

Sorayah wrote:
Lini wrote:

Just commenting on this that those 6 months would still count towards the year, as the FAQ at http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US&tag=D3WoWFAQ&rhtml=true says.
Precisely. That's why it isn't a single payment for 12 months.
Lini
Lini

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down