Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How famines work

3 posters

Go down

How famines work Empty How famines work

Post by Gahalla Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:57 pm

Right, Aleric asked me to look into how famines function and happen and write something reasonably simple about it for the big event we're planning. Much of it will be my own reasonings and deduction (as always Wink ) and will be taken bits and pieces from all I've read on the subject.

To understand a famine, I think key is understanding how food distribution is handled and therefore on what principles the economy is based. I'll spoiler it for brevity:

Basics of economy and food
Spoiler:

How would a poor harvest happen
Harvests are very weather dependent, in fact... the perfect match of rain and sun is needed. If it rains too much, the harvest drowns. If it rains to little (which is what many of us Europeans would refer to as perfect vacation weather these days) then it dries out.
It is also dependant on labour being there and able to collect the harvest. There's only so many days before it rots in the fields.
The third matter is that the nobility and church (ie- the landowners) pass it along.
The fourth is that too much isn't diverted to feed the armies.
And of course... if a granary would burn down... the amount of food available drops sharply.

"Society is only three meals away from complete anarchy"
One of the compromises in society is that we group together to make life easier. We give up some freedoms to better be able to do what we want and to be protected by the larger community.
But if society fails to provide that safety, the social contracts break down. Lack of food is one of those things that would cause this. A city is a great place to live as long as there's food. But there's almost imposisble to produce food there, it all has to be shipped in externally. And generally there's no way at all the population could travel far enough away to get food before they starve to death.
When a famine strikes a city, or indeed an entire region, all laws break down. Following the law is of no use, because there won't be anough food to acquire legally. They will starve. Worse, their children will starve. And people get very short tempers when they're hungry.

At the same time, the authorities will be forced to hold on to what little supplies they have. Because one small meal every day is better than 3 months without a single one. ANd if the soldiers aren't fed... they'll leave. So the food must be held on. But the people will want it -now-.

Starving societies are messy. Suffice to say.

Heavens, I forgot the most important bit:
How a famine progresses:
The first notice will be by the nobles (or landlords), since their people's surplus will be much lower. It might even be non-existant, and they're pleading for a tax reduction. This is always a cause for concern and will generally be seen by the nobility actually spending money to fill their own granaries. However... in times of war they might be unable to do this. And some less sycophantic, less glory-hunting ones (a rare breed admittedly) will be lobbying extensively for tax reductions or even that the war ends.

Second notice will happen some 2-3 weeks after harvest. When the merchants notice that their stores are much too low after all transports have been brought in. This is when they'll reduce the rations, leading to the price skyrocketing.

2-3 weeks after that... food prices will skyrocket. People will be contineously hungry and the food will be sold mere minutes after being brought out. Merchants will try to hold this back. The reason is that both by law and by the notion of profit they should ration the food. But the rations won't be enough to feed the city. Riots will happen frequently after that.

After that... differrnt things may happen. If the warehouses remain as they are, with supplements from the royal granaries then the strife will continue either until food is brought in or it runs out. Or if the warehouses are opened/stormed... then people will be fed for a few days... and then the area will be completely out of food.

When a city is out of food. People will abandon their jobs to just look for anything edible. Animals, even horses, will be slaughtered for food. Guards will abandon their posts. Homes will be left behind as their residents just leave. Bodies will lie in the the streets. Anything of value will be plundered and sold on the black market for food. Some will even sell the clothes they're wearing.

It won't end until a massive influx of food is brought in.
Gahalla
Gahalla

Character sheet
Name: Gahalla rose
Title: Doctor

Back to top Go down

How famines work Empty Re: How famines work

Post by Lexgrad Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:45 pm

yay at last, been waiting for this thread to open!
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:12 pm

If it is cool with everyone, ive had Jarric going through the books calculating ect. So I thought i could get the ball rolling with an ic speech, kinda keep calmand carry on, everything will be alright, the king will look after us ect. A kinda public "everything is alright" and a "shit we are gonna starve" behind the scenes
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorainne/Bridlington Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:38 pm

Please post this in the LFRP section, Gahalla, as to draw more attention.
Also, keep one post reserved for future additions, such as the agenda, those organising it et cetera.

Thanks in advance Wink
Lorainne/Bridlington
Lorainne/Bridlington

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down