Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Portal Technology

3 posters

Go down

Portal Technology Empty Portal Technology

Post by Reynard Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:56 pm

Hey,

Is there any portal technology available in lore which could shift a small ship from one side of the world to the other? If not, would it be within the realms of possibility to research and develop such a thing?

The purpose is to enable me to shift The Javelin from one side of the world to the other in quick time, thus opening up more potential for RP - I could "pop to Kalimdor for the weekend" type thing. I know it's been said that you can and should hand wave travel times to a degree, but this idea to solve the problem popped into my head and I guess investigating it IC would be an RP opportunity, but I wanted to see if this idea has any feasibility before I devote too much (any) RP time to it.

Thanks!

Reynard
Reynard

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Portal Technology Empty Re: Portal Technology

Post by Guest Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:20 pm

I think Mage's may find it offensive to be referred to as "portal technology".

Back to top Go down

Post by Skarain Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:45 pm

Possible in theory, but there was also a reason why Alliance & Horde did not bring their Gunships (Flying Fortresses) to Draenor.

Opening such a large and wide gateway for long enough time for a Gunship to pass would take more energy than it took to empower The Dark Portal, which essentially took hundreds to thousands of sacrifices to open originally. Hence why even if you can bring personnel and some resources through, but no siege-vehicles on itself.

Now, since you are within Azeroth, you obviously don't have to cross that long of a distance. The longer the distance a portal travels, the more taxing it gets. We aren't speaking of moving between worlds, after all.

There are two examples of large structures being teleported in lore.

One being Naxxramas
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

During a routine purging of heathens in the Scourge infested Plaguewood, my party and I were interrupted by a deafening screech coming from the sky. When we looked to the heavens, towards Naxxramas, our jaws dropped to the floor. I tell you this now, High General, 'twas a sight not to be believed! The dread citadel was moving. Slowly at first and then with a thunderous roar - poof - it was gone!

That's right, High General, Naxxramas is gone! No more! Could it be anything other than a miracle of the Light? I say not!

And another being Dalaran.

Acherus have also moved, but it 'floats' rather than teleports per say.

In all cases however, we are speaking of buildings that are already extremely magical and capable of flight to begin with. Lots of magic, rituals and empowering crystals are set behind them.

By the same logic, if you hide enough magical artefacty crystals and get a bunch of mages to teleport your ship, you can probably get it flying over the waves regardless of wind, or teleport it around.

Teleportation itself does require multiple mages, many mages, powerful power-sources and such. Can be done, but is the merits worth it compared to just getting a portal from a mage to transport individual persons and have the ship sail on after you with the support of a NPC crew.
Skarain
Skarain

Character sheet
Name: Skarain Feirand
Title: Mother of the Flame

Back to top Go down

Post by Reynard Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:26 pm

Thanks for the responses.

Okay, so, does this mean that [in theory] with enough investment (buying the magical crystals and stuff and putting time into RPing out getting this all done), plus having at least one pocket-mage in my employ, it is within the bounds of feasibility to teleport/portal my ship (which is only a small, agile freighter, not a big gunship) across distances in Azeroth?  

I have zero interest in taking it off world.  I'm more than happy if this technology only works once every few days - needing time to "recharge".  

If this is feasible, are there any Arch Mages out there interested in developing this idea further?
Reynard
Reynard

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Skarain Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:42 pm

I know i'll be drowning in the things to do, but i'll prod Azure Flame members about this. Maybe someone of them would like to develop something akin.
Skarain
Skarain

Character sheet
Name: Skarain Feirand
Title: Mother of the Flame

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzifix Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:00 pm

Just dropping another fast travel option:
Shamen. Wind and water. Upgrade the weather for optimal sailing.

Or, if you really want to piss people off, hunters. Lots of hunters. To tame a whale shark as your new engine.

Ideally, come up with the solution that makes for the most RP.

Izzifix

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down