Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Loldodging?

+26
Helmut
Heirio
Feral / Blackfall
Iriel Silversong
Tobias Redeye
Ralegh
Lexgrad
Lyniath
Anivitas
Allonia_Miral
Adry
Demurral
Swan Emperor Arenfel
nope
Ixirar
Vaell
Sam
Thondalar Stormleaf
Izzifix
Robin Drake
siegmund
Tnecniw
Officer High Morale
Skaraa
Rinoi
Amaryl
30 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Loldodging? Empty Loldodging?

Post by Tnecniw Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:29 am

I have a fair question about the term "loldodging". The concept (as I have understood it) is when you dodge almost everything that is fired at you. To the level when others find it annoying... but how far does that rule go? I can understand the concept when it is for example a heavily armored dwarf that avoids everything and such... but what about a 1000 year old elf trained to be an assassin since a "young" age (I mean like 100 yaers old then). Isn't loldodging a term that can only be used under certain circrumstances then?

Tnecniw

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Loldodging? Empty Re: Loldodging?

Post by Amaryl Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:37 am

The point of emote-fighting is having cool combat between 2 people. If you're like: Look at me; you can't touch this dudududu. dudu. dudu. Can't touch this.

It's not fun.

Amaryl

Back to top Go down

Post by Rinoi Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:45 am

As with almost anything, it comes down to context. Playing a nimble character that's capable of avoiding things is perfectly fine. These skills are incorporated in many highly popular archetypes. So yes, a well trained elf could be very good at dodging things.

But roleplay is also a collaborative effort and a social joy. Having your character be the star, dodging and weaving his way through every bit of danger like a superhero can certainly be fun. But it's mostly fun for you. Every other character is in extension incompetent at hitting you.

This can be fine, because not everyone can always be the star. It can also be aggravating. If someone fails to take into account overwhelming numbers, disrupting the story a group is trying to tell, it can get on people's nerves. Depending on the situation, you should decide if the situation allows for you to be a star, without being a nuisance, or that you should take a hit or stay in the background. Everyone wants the spotlight now and then, but not everyone can have it at once.

Judge for yourself whether or not you'd be intruding on someone's story and ruining their experience, or allowing yourself a cool platform to roleplay out your character. When in doubt, ask them OOC. Far too often these problems crop up because there is an us versus them mentality, when in reality we're all just trying to collaboratively tell a cool story with our characters.

Hope that helps.

Rinoi
Rinoi

Character sheet
Name: Rinoi Du'nai
Title: The Chief

http://bandofthebrave.host-power.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Skaraa Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:03 am

The point of emote-fighting is having cool combat between 2 people. If you're like: Look at me; you can't touch this dudududu. dudu. dudu. Can't touch this.

It's not fun.

That is the greatest reply ever. ^^
<3
Skaraa
Skaraa

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer High Morale Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:14 am

Amaryl wrote:The point of emote-fighting is having cool combat between 2 people. If you're like: Look at me; you can't touch this dudududu. dudu. dudu. Can't touch this.

It's not fun.

There's literally nothing fun in it if someone keeps dodging your blows, I've had it so many times that nowadays when I see people do it I just decide to ignore the whole thing, which, may or may not be the right thing.

Officer High Morale

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Tnecniw Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:16 am

Thanks Very Happy I think I get it Very Happy

Tnecniw

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by siegmund Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:26 am

Wonder if there is a term called "Lolparry" ... we might never know
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Tnecniw Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:04 am

and just for the record. Is anyone else here hating a multiple opponents vs one emote combat scenario? It can be a REAL clusterfuck (I am looking at your Forlorn cartell)

Tnecniw

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by siegmund Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:31 am

If you hate it why do you do it?
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin Drake Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:42 am

Emote fights in which there are more than three or four people are always going to be a "Clusterfuck" regardless of the situation be it one vs four or three vs three. Even when things are sometimes hard to keep up the best thing to do is just be patient and respond to people's emotes at your own pace. People aren't going to hate you for that. Sure it can be annoying as heck when all of a sudden four people jump on you with emotes but it's not something to get annoyed about.

With the mention of the guild however it's tactics rely heavily on outnumbering your opponent and being able to overwhelm them to the point where they cannot fight back there's no such thing as a fair fight with a bunch of criminals. If someone is slow to reply or whatever though we don't OOCLY target them with hate or whatever, we got no problem waiting for a reply through a heck tonne of emotes so long as you -Do- reply eventually. Everybody has their own response times.
Robin Drake
Robin Drake

Character sheet
Name: Robin Drake
Title: Wolf of Shady Lady Street

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzifix Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:27 am

I'll add a small neat fact that could help people when they're considering getting in an emote-fight, where such behaviour as too much dodging can occur:

- Violence is crazy dangerous.

Engaging in any fight where your side hasn't won already before first contact is, while ofc an available course of action, not really that logical.

Izzifix

Back to top Go down

Post by Thondalar Stormleaf Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:09 pm

I've had people dodge every move my char do, then bitch at me OOC over whispers for dodging something they did once.

I don't mind emote battles, because I know most of DB's RPers are fair in fights when emoting. But then you get the occasional people who, after having their head bashed into a wall several times, been properly searched -everywhere- boots and hair included, handcuffed and the whole shebang, STILL managed to pull out a granade from somewhere unknown (their ass maybe?) and try to detonate it.

Never understood those who tries to fight when you are surrounded. Like Dwyburn is saying, Violence is dangerous. If you got five guys surrounding you, the logic thing is to surrender your valuables, no matter if you are a strong elf, or even draenei.
Thondalar Stormleaf
Thondalar Stormleaf

Character sheet
Name: Simaria
Title: Little Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:14 pm

Tnecniw wrote:and just for the record. Is anyone else here hating a multiple opponents vs one emote combat scenario? It can be a REAL clusterfuck (I am looking at your Forlorn cartell)

Why are you looking at us? You're attacking a pub with locals. Or they attack you. It's only fair that they call their entire friendbase to battle someone who they don't like. It's the 'Shady Lady' after all. People know it's not a posh tavern where you can go about your business while looking fancy or something.

If you do have a problem with it you can always say so to me or any other who is attempting to 'clusterfuck' you. I don't believe anyone will hate you for it and it's good for us to know you're not enjoying it. RP is ment to be fun for everyone.
Sam
Sam

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Skaraa Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:04 pm

Violence is dangerous. If you got five guys surrounding you, the logic thing is to surrender your valuables, no matter if you are a strong elf, or even draenei.

Unless you're a DK, DKs are overpowered in lore. Which is why I try to avoid inter-player conflict with mine. It becomes very ridiculous very quickly when stabbing you in the neck realistically does fuck all damage.

Mages and Warlocks are also fairly OP with wards and so on. But it's slightly less absurd.

I try to avoid fighting them, too. My rogue, for instance, would far sooner retreat than fight a DK, or mage/lock without a flanking advantage.

I think people need to remember the lore of these classes. Seeing a warrior or mage standing up to a DK without any pause/blinking is stupid. A hunter thinking he can shoot a mage effectively without wards coming into play. Warriors charging gun wielding hunters rather than taking cover. Anyone emoting 'slashing' a plate armour wearer.
People need to think before they emote, look at their weapon and the armour of their enemy or just their enemy in general.

Being realistic is more interesting and creates more diverse RP than everyone just trying to be a brave badass.
The line between courage and stupidity is a thin one.
Skaraa
Skaraa

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vaell Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:06 pm

Skaraa, I don't know where you got your lore sources from, but they're wrong lol.

If someone role-plays an actual WoW warrior or hunter from the character creation screen, they can easily stand toe to toe with a DK. There's nothing that says otherwise. A warrior in WoW lore can go berserker, is super strong, can leap 20ft and cause the ground to tremble when he slams it.
Vaell
Vaell

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by siegmund Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:31 pm

Power levels debate aside. Sometimes people would fight 1v10. It's their thing if the character is like that, but you yourself can pretty much know he's gonna get beat up or worse in such a situation.

Not that someone couldn't take on more people given the right circumstances but you won't really see that happen between RPers often.
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Swan Emperor Arenfel Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:46 pm

Skaraa wrote:
Violence is dangerous. If you got five guys surrounding you, the logic thing is to surrender your valuables, no matter if you are a strong elf, or even draenei.

Unless you're a DK, DKs are overpowered in lore. Which is why I try to avoid inter-player conflict with mine. It becomes very ridiculous very quickly when stabbing you in the neck realistically does fuck all damage.

Mages and Warlocks are also fairly OP with wards and so on. But it's slightly less absurd.

I try to avoid fighting them, too. My rogue, for instance, would far sooner retreat than fight a DK, or mage/lock without a flanking advantage.

I think people need to remember the lore of these classes. Seeing a warrior or mage standing up to a DK without any pause/blinking is stupid. A hunter thinking he can shoot a mage effectively without wards coming into play. Warriors charging gun wielding hunters rather than taking cover. Anyone emoting 'slashing' a plate armour wearer.
People need to think before they emote, look at their weapon and the armour of their enemy or just their enemy in general.

Being realistic is more interesting and creates more diverse RP than everyone just trying to be a brave badass.
The line between courage and stupidity is a thin one.

Actually. Shooting a mage is clever. Wards are fast and low-cost incantations that block a specific form of elemental damage (http://wow.gamepedia.com/The_Schools_of_Arcane_Magic_-_Abjuration), and a projectile is a physical thing. A mana shield can be used to stop incoming attacks all-together, but require more energy to manifest.

If a mage is going into the wilderness, the city, or generally anywhere they might expect a tumble they are taught to employ an armour spell. Described as an elemental armouring spell that can remain passively on the caster (again, from the in-game book of abjuration). They offer some protection, but are noted to be inferior to the mana-shield in stopping power.

It may be prudent to research your class before attempting to use its abilities (not intended as a slight against the user I'm quoting, it's just part of the same post!), before you enter a fight with it!

In my opinion. Fighting for the sake of fighting is not enjoyable. It should advance the plot, and if conflict is involved the focus should be on the tension, and reason for the fight; rather than tunnel visioning the fight like an Episode of DBZ.

Sparring between two amicable parties can be fun though. It lets you try out new writing styles and routes for your character to take when another player is brought into the mix!
Swan Emperor Arenfel
Swan Emperor Arenfel

Back to top Go down

Post by Ixirar Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:49 pm

Also on the warrior vs DK thing, let's not forget that Varian (a warrior) soloed Onyxia. If he can do that, then my guy can stand up to a death knight.
Ixirar
Ixirar

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaryl Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:04 pm

Also weapons are enchanted and enscribed and glyphed and what not, just like armor. The point of being a DK is exactly that you can get your neck pierced in a fight and still fight on. That's -Cool-.

Emote fights shouldn't be realistic. They should be fun. I operate on the rule of cool. But frankly emote fights are the worst and I'll try to avoid them at any and all opportunity.

On the issue of being ganged up: Maybe give up your money instead of trying to get into an emote fight which isn't fun? Razz

As a Paladin that has access to blessing of Freedom. Would it be fun if I just used that whenever cultist had me captured? Not really. Or if I used that whenever the guards put me in Jail, shackles, ropes? Not really. But sometimes it is. And then, Boom I'm free what you gonna do now bitches?

Amaryl

Back to top Go down

Post by nope Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:09 pm

Amaryl wrote:
On the issue of being ganged up: Maybe give up your money instead of trying to get into an emote fight which isn't fun? Razz

I find /e screams and runs away works. Might want to give them an attempt to intercept the running away part though for fairness.
nope
nope

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Swan Emperor Arenfel Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:10 pm

Ixirar/Kavalis wrote:Also on the warrior vs DK thing, let's not forget that Varian (a warrior) soloed Onyxia. If he can do that, then my guy can stand up to a death knight.

Please don't be Christ Metzen.
Swan Emperor Arenfel
Swan Emperor Arenfel

Back to top Go down

Post by Demurral Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:11 pm

Ixirar/Kavalis wrote:Also on the warrior vs DK thing, let's not forget that Varian (a warrior) soloed Onyxia. If he can do that, then my guy can stand up to a death knight.

Lets not forget that Varian (A warrior) was split into two seperate people at the time - the Noble One (Varian in Stormwind), and the Savage One (Lo'Gosh). They only managed to kill Onyxia when she tried to cast a spell which messed up due to two Varians, they refused back together, and stabbed Onyxia before she could remover.
Demurral
Demurral

Character sheet
Name: Greyclaw
Title: Witch of the Wilds

Back to top Go down

Post by Skaraa Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:29 pm

Ok, lets deal with these two issues one at a time.

Warrior vs. DK

Death Knights are undead; they don't get fatigued. Living people do.
Being undead they are also much harder to kill than the living; they are not subject to attacks that would normally prevent systems that keep you alive (such as being stabbed in the lungs or something).
Finally, they possess unnatural strength to a greater extent of any living being, arguably. Being undead gives them serious advantages. Additionally, they have magical powers and can resist magical attacks. That is what I was getting at.

Mages

I know magic lore, thank you. You can be fecious about what the word ward refers to all you like. It doesn't change the validity of my argument that magical barriers are very much capable of withstanding ranged attacks.

Last edited by Skaraa on Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Skaraa
Skaraa

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Adry Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:40 pm

In this setting, any class has the potential to be as powerful as any other class, it mostly just depends on how experienced/trained they are. The spells we get ingame are a rough guideline, imo, for the absolute pinnacle of that class. So while DKs can be strong, so can everyone. Paladins can smack you with a conjured 10ft long hammer of pure light. Mages can freeze you then shatter you into thousands of pieces (or make you portals to Old Dalaran).

The important distinction needs to be made with heroes, however. Not all Rogues/Mages etc are heroes, but all DKs are. To that end, they have an 'advantage' should they ever wish to go fight some civilians or grunts, but that doesn't make them the strongest class by any stretch.

Last edited by Adry on Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Adry
Adry

Character sheet
Name: Lelitha Étoires
Title: Pretend-Champion of the Band of the Brave

Back to top Go down

Post by Tnecniw Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:42 pm

Sam wrote:
Tnecniw wrote:and just for the record. Is anyone else here hating a multiple opponents vs one emote combat scenario? It can be a REAL clusterfuck (I am looking at your Forlorn cartell)

Why are you looking at us? You're attacking a pub with locals. Or they attack you. It's only fair that they call their entire friendbase to battle someone who they don't like. It's the 'Shady Lady' after all. People know it's not a posh tavern where you can go about your business while looking fancy or something.

If you do have a problem with it you can always say so to me or any other who is attempting to 'clusterfuck' you. I don't believe anyone will hate you for it and it's good for us to know you're not enjoying it. RP is ment to be fun for everyone.
Well, I understand that completely. I just hate clusterfuck battles like that because of two main reasons: 1, I always manage to forget an emote or the like from someone because I try to answer each emote as detailed and clear as I can... making often people whine at me when I forget them. 2, Everyone writes their seperate emotes that wouldn't be possible to do due to theier "friends" being in the way or the like... making me damn unsure what to emote.

Tnecniw

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum