Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First aid?

+15
Ferrius
Zhakiri
Cathee Norris
Swan Emperor Arenfel
Thelos
Muzjhath
Amaryl
Ixirar
Thondalar Stormleaf
nope
Allonia_Miral
Lyniath
Helmut
siegmund
Heirio
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

First aid? - Page 2 Empty Re: First aid?

Post by Zhakiri Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:29 pm

Aslaya Oathkeeper wrote:
Lannael Ven'Renn wrote:Good thing Trolls blood Elixir don't contain actual trolls blood then. XD

Oh, silly of me. I should have looked that up first. Very Happy

Very true, it traditionally doesn't. Mine however, on the other hand does! Twisted Evil

In my opinion healing RP is entirely on the shoulders of the patient, it absolutely pains me to have a patient who sits there doing nothing, not responding to anything that I do so I tend to play it out with my emotes having no outcomes, asking questions of the patient and what they feel the spell should have done.

I tend to stick entirely to magical mending, but that doesn't always have to mean instant. Some of the most famous spells require traditionally a lot of preparation and reagent gathering so you could always play to that.

Gruesome blood rituals, harsh fire magic for cauterizing, bone-shaping, blood boiling; go crazy. Just because you use Magic doesn't mean it has to be instant and care-free.
Zhakiri
Zhakiri

Character sheet
Name: Zhakiri
Title: Da Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Ferrius Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:58 pm

I have no big grudge again magical healing, it's convenient at times like in DM events, etc. I do however hate it when it comes in the way of practical medical aid, like basic first aid or alike. Let me explain;

I've been working as a life guard and emergency medic for 6+ years now (from my first introduction to the job at 14 to my current state of senior -insert title-), and there's nothing I like more than to do lengthy emotes, describing the gritty and uncomfortable visions of large wounds and near fatal emergencies. It's a lot of fun for both the person being emoted on, and the person doing the aid. I've yet to come across a single person I've aided that's found it straight up "too lengthy". It also gives them a chance to RP their feeling, emotions, etc during such aid.

What gets me though, is when I'm doing something like this and a druid or two walks up and goes:

"I GOT THIS", and whammo does some healing spell and "magically" resolves any injuries the character would've had. Magical healing should be done subtle, and it's as epic as practical first aid. Just my two cents. Stay humble!

Last edited by Ferrius on Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ferrius
Ferrius

Character sheet
Name: Ferrius Spectre
Title: The Disciples of Light

http://www.ferrius.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by Heirio Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:01 pm

Swan Emperor Arenfel wrote:
Lyniath wrote:Will just add that people who use Magical Healing are literally the worst.

I'm going to make sure everybody heals you magically from now on.

I don't get this?

Is it the length of the emotes? Is it the convenience? Seems like one of those silly opinions people bandwaggon for the sake of playing devil's advocate. You can be just as ridiculous and overbearing through mundane methods of healing as you can with any of Warcraft's multitude of healing spells yo.

Arenfel, I've been meaning to ask. Since your character is super old due to the wonders of the arcane, how can he be an effective monk when it comes to combat?
Because...
Heirio
Heirio

Back to top Go down

Post by siegmund Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:09 pm

I thought we were talking about healing not combat. Unless you understand all monk healing as punching people in the face and in a miracle of green flash unbreaking their noses and whatnot.
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:22 pm

Ferrius wrote:What gets me though, is when I'm doing something like this and a druid or two walks up and goes:

"I GOT THIS", and whammo does some healing spell and "magically" resolves any injuries the character would've had. Magical healing should be done subtle, and it's as epic as practical first aid. Just my two cents. Stay humble!

Well, obviously that's a dick move. In RP it's always important to allow other characters to shine.

You need to look at the underlying principles of what it means not to be an asshole though; look beyond the surface. Above scenario is dickish not because any inherent problem with magical healing, since I can cook up multiple scenarios where magical healing would be the lesser dick thing to do; rather, it's got everything to do with being a dick and stealing somebody's spotlight. You just don't do that.
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Heirio Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:07 pm

siegmund wrote:I thought we were talking about healing not combat. Unless you understand all monk healing as punching people in the face and in a miracle of green flash unbreaking their noses and whatnot.

I know, sorry.
Heirio
Heirio

Back to top Go down

Post by Ralegh Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:16 pm

siegmund wrote:I thought we were talking about healing not combat. Unless you understand all monk healing as punching people in the face and in a miracle of green flash unbreaking their noses and whatnot.
YES!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Ralegh
Ralegh

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ixirar Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:16 pm

Jack Noodlemeister wrote:

Arenfel, I've been meaning to ask. Since your character is super old due to the wonders of the arcane, how can he be an effective monk when it comes to combat?
Because...

This is Masahiko Tanaka. He is currently 73 years old and is probably deadlier than most of the Defias RP community put together. He practices Shotokan Karate and is ranked at the 8th dan.

What's that about old people not being able to do physical combat?
Ixirar
Ixirar

Back to top Go down

Post by Heirio Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:18 pm

He's 73. Aren is 188 or something.
Heirio
Heirio

Back to top Go down

Post by Ixirar Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:20 pm

He's mortal, Arenfel is magic.
Ixirar
Ixirar

Back to top Go down

Post by Swan Emperor Arenfel Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:28 am

Jack Noodlemeister wrote:He's 73. Aren is 188 or something.

What are you talking about? Arenfel's 18. Not 188.
Swan Emperor Arenfel
Swan Emperor Arenfel

Back to top Go down

Post by Adry Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:43 am

I thought he was 13
Adry
Adry

Character sheet
Name: Lelitha Étoires
Title: Pretend-Champion of the Band of the Brave

Back to top Go down

Post by Arabella Greene Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:02 am

Just a note Arenfel may be OOC a monk, but he isn't IC. Just to clear up confusion. (That is unless your comment was meant to be ironic).
Arabella Greene
Arabella Greene

Character sheet
Name: Arabella Greene
Title: Terrible Role Model.

Back to top Go down

Post by Swan Emperor Arenfel Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:45 am

Arabella Greene wrote:Just a note Arenfel may be OOC a monk, but he isn't IC. Just to clear up confusion. (That is unless your comment was meant to be ironic).

Hmm? No. He is a monk! Still training, but he's certainly not calling himself a mage any more! Being a monk doesn't necessarily involve being combat-focused.
Swan Emperor Arenfel
Swan Emperor Arenfel

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:12 am

He's trying to be just like his hero, Paozi!

...Only without the angst and the murderous intent, I suppose.

Got a long way to go with that belly of his though, that's for sure. Forget about youth - mastering the martial arts is all about girth!

Get to chowin', student!
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Feral / Blackfall Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:50 pm

As a medic RPer, my bottom line is whatever the patient oocly wants to happen, happens. People RP it too differently to decide for them.

As a baseline, I use druidic magic to stop anything life-threatening, speed natural healing (so a break might take a week rather than a month to heal), ease pain, and help with infection. I use it as a supplement to cleaning, stitching, ointment, bandages, salves and oral medication. When it comes to my own chars' injuries, I accept as much magical healing as people want to throw at me, but still prefer to take enough time to basically accept the consequences of my actions until I feel I've been punished enough. More irritating to me is balancing the "taking the consequences" with "not being a drama queen;" I always feel like I'm being dramatic when RPing an injury, but nor do I want to just ignore it Razz

To OP: I'd definitely check out basic first aid, emergency response care, suturing, and so forth. Even having a basic knowledge of when to apply pressure and what the recovery position is can really help add depth to medic RP, imo Smile
Feral / Blackfall
Feral / Blackfall

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum