Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Failed death knight (or something)

+2
nope
Heirio
6 posters

Go down

Failed death knight (or something) Empty Failed death knight (or something)

Post by Heirio Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:18 pm

I was thinking about making a Death Knight, and due to the fact that I'm slightly bad at RPing characters who are powerful with magic, I was thinking of the concept of RPing a failed Death Knight.

This Death Knight would have died while fighting the Lich King, then been resurrected as a Death Knight. However, what if this process went slightly wrong? What if this Death Knight was made without the need to inflict pain? What if this Death Knights magic was much weaker than that of the average Death Knights? What if this Death Knight still had emotions, and because of recent happenings, was mentally unstable?

Are Death Knights like these possible? I was thinking of making one which still had emotions (mainly the sad ones, due to recent events) and was generally weaker than other Death Knights.

Would it be contradictory to lore or not? Because in my opinion, since these raisings were on a large scale, the chances would be pretty low that every single one succeeded.
Heirio
Heirio

Back to top Go down

Failed death knight (or something) Empty Re: Failed death knight (or something)

Post by nope Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:14 pm

I'd keep the "has to cause pain" thing because it's a flaw and skirting it would actually make your character look more 'special'.

In Acherus, the more weaker ones were less likely to make the cut since they were risen as expendable shock troops. So underpowering can make them more rarer/unlikely in a sense? You could go with a more average-powered one, or one that was lucky to make the cut I guess. They just wouldn't be properly weak.

That said, one of my old mains was a Dk that would up becoming disabled from injury/necromancers fucking about with his orb eyes, this happened later so it gave him a sort of underpowered spin. Also, it was fun to death-grip a chunk of grass off the ground when I failed a /roll. Acherus is honestly a pretty dickish place though, so they may run into shit for it - if you watch the Lich class trainer in Acherus, he just goes "such is the price of failure" or something when one of the trainees dies. He was sort of the unfavourite of the place, which was fun for me to Rp but then I'm fond of "goddamnit luverne you had one job" type ic responses.

They also require their runeblades to cast their spells, so - another hook if you want your character to be powered-down and lose it. Negative feels definitely seem to be their thing, I mean the faction is kind of sort of trying to atone the only way they know how (stabbing people) so there's that. They might just be less prone to curling up and weeping in a corner is all.
nope
nope

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by siegmund Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:18 pm

Don't fully quote me but if I remember right you see / can read more or less on this topic in the starting zone for DKs ingame -> Acherus: The Ebon Hold

Books and questline itself I belive adress the topic mainly goes something like failiures there be but they are pretty much that and i think the good ones go on to pretty much kill one as the inscructor says. Weak meat to be a teaching intrument or something. I'd really have to look it up or something not too sure again. That or someone will link a past topic on this or mention surely actual facts/details

still had emotions

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotion

Iffs me everytime someone says DKs have no emotions, so here is a definition.

My tip would be to try doing the intro questline again and read all the ingame books there.
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Heirio Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:20 pm

Hmm.... what about if they used the Death Knight for experiments? And that she survived when the Lich King was killed?
Heirio
Heirio

Back to top Go down

Post by siegmund Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:29 pm

I'm pretty sure DKs are an experiment on it's own. The experiment of them comming past selection at least. I asume something could be possible but first this is a log ingame that helps i'm sure as it has that "Experiment" feel. Or rather test subjects:

http://www.wowwiki.com/The_Death_Knights_of_Acherus

And the quest i sort of mentioned above about killing unworthy initiates to be percise also it mentions the "hunger":

http://www.wowwiki.com/Quest:The_Endless_Hunger
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Heirio Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:34 pm

Hm... I think I might make her still have the urge to cause pain, and be a newly made Death Knight, very newly.
Heirio
Heirio

Back to top Go down

Post by Vaell Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:36 pm

Could go this route:

- Your Character was killed, risen as a DK but was too weak to comlete the initiation process.
- Shackled, your DK was one of the failing trainees.
- Another DK fought yours to pass your initiation. S/he wins by impaling your character with a blade. It looks as if you're dead so they dispose of your body/move you to be used for parts.
- Your DK wakes up in a pile of corpses that are ready to be recycled and is thankfully saved by the uprising of the Ebons because they never got around to carving your body up.

That way you can be a failure that "survived"
Vaell
Vaell

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Heirio Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:37 pm

*nod nod* Seems good...
During the fight, a head wound could be inflicted, giving him/her the instability.
Heirio
Heirio

Back to top Go down

Post by Thondalar Stormleaf Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:38 pm

If you read the ingame books in Acherus, and the starterquests like Siegmund suggested, you'd get a good idea what happened to any DK which had weakenesses at all.

They got horribly killed at any sign of positive emotions or weakness. The Scourge had no use for failed creations.
Thondalar Stormleaf
Thondalar Stormleaf

Character sheet
Name: Simaria
Title: Little Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post by Heirio Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:43 pm

1. I'm reading the in-game books as we speak! It was a major surprise to find a dirty one in Archerus... eurgh.
2. What about experimentation?

Edit:

I'll read up a lot with books and read the starting quests before posting much else.
Heirio
Heirio

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:51 pm

Jack Noodlemeister wrote:I was thinking about making a Death Knight, and due to the fact that I'm slightly bad at RPing characters who are powerful with magic, I was thinking of the concept of RPing a failed Death Knight.

Failed DK.  Interesting.

This Death Knight would have died while fighting the Lich King, then been resurrected as a Death Knight. However, what if this process went slightly wrong? What if this Death Knight was made without the need to inflict pain? What if this Death Knights magic was much weaker than that of the average Death Knights? What if this Death Knight still had emotions, and because of recent happenings, was mentally unstable?

I would not be weak in that sense.  If you are gonna RP a DK you should go full into that side of it, anything less isnt fair to anyone.  The magic of a DK comes from their swords, if you got a dud blade then your DK could always get another.

Are Death Knights like these possible? I was thinking of making one which still had emotions (mainly the sad ones, due to recent events) and was generally weaker than other Death Knights.

Would it be contradictory to lore or not? Because in my opinion, since these raisings were on a large scale, the chances would be pretty low that every single one succeeded.

Well, maybe there was some kind of weakness if you like, perhaps they were too wild or else to soft for the Ebon Blade.  If your DK was made in the Acherus then you are right that DKs were made on a large scale.  The rub was that the weak were discovered throughout their early training and were either killed by the scourge or else by the other DKs.

There is one escape for your DK however, There is a lore book about escaped DKs, ones who fled the Acherus.  Most were hunted down if I recall, but perhaps yours escaped really early in their training.
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Heirio Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:54 pm

What is this lore book?
Heirio
Heirio

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:01 pm

It is in the Acherus, when you start a DK there are books spread about the Acherus. I think there is a couple of mentions to DKs trying to escape the scourge.

I made another DK who was killed and returned to be raised by a scourge hunting squad.
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Thondalar Stormleaf Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:00 pm

Keep in mind that there is no newly made DK's anymore. She must have been a DK from the time of the LK, which means she has had some years to be one and adapt.
Thondalar Stormleaf
Thondalar Stormleaf

Character sheet
Name: Simaria
Title: Little Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post by Heirio Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:34 pm

Well, then one of the youngest Death Knights, in terms of how long he/she has been a Death Knight.
Heirio
Heirio

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:04 pm

Well depending on what calander you use DKs were made in the acherus like 6 months prior to the LK exp in lore terms. Like.... 3-4 years or so I think.

There were other DKs made during the war. Check out the Host of suffering, Naxrammas or the Scarlet onslaught DKs for more info.
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Heirio Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:04 am

Due to the character currently being a bit... snowflakey, and I already have a snowflake character (The Noodlemeister himself!), I've decided to scrap the whole idea! I'll be working on the Death Knight in my own time.
Heirio
Heirio

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down