Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

(A) Battle Mage's

+18
Allonia_Miral
Paia/Jenit
Nifty
Ixirar
Eldiros
Elrua
Gor'Thrak Frosthowl
Thondalar Stormleaf
Lavian
Swan Emperor Arenfel
Charlie Blazesong
Brigs Morgan
Iriel Silversong
Skarain
erwtenpeller
siegmund
Demurral
James Ryder
22 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

(A) Battle Mage's - Page 2 Empty Re: (A) Battle Mage's

Post by erwtenpeller Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:33 pm

Point is: Magic is awesome, fuck yeah!
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Swan Emperor Arenfel Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:43 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Battle Magi are not a new concept, and have existed in Warcraft for some time. Even the Scarlet Crusade has their own unique brand of war-bred arcanist. Though uncommon, they exist primarily within the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. Though there are [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], and even [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] variants!

Wintergrasp and Tol'barad both even have their own faction of battlemagi!
and

Visual Representation of a Battle-Mage:
There is no definitive way of how to "play" a class in a role-play environment which has not been included in the core mechanics of WoW, but in playing a battlemage, I would strongly suggest you opt to use one of the following!

Mage: The most obvious example. You have access to the widest breadth of arcane spell effects of any class, and you can equip martial weapons such as swords, daggers or staffs. There are a variety of transmog options to make your character look less "man in a dress", and more "badass mage in armour".

Warrior: A warrior can equip plate armour and magical effects can be added to your model, the most common of which being enchantment. There are also a number of "magical" weapons which stand out as the staples of battle-magi, such as [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] or [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Glyphs that add cool glowy effects and abilities such as thunderclap can also be interpreted as arcane spells!

Paladins and Death Knights both have a clearly distinct theme. Holy symbolism and necromantic runes. Which are probably not too ideal if you want your character to give off an impression of arcane sorcery.

TL;DR here!

If you want to create an order of battle-magi, more power to you, though I will parrot what previous posters have said and perhaps see about collaborating with other guilds such as Ordo Arcana - before you segment the player-base further and find yourself without enough members to sustain the project.
Swan Emperor Arenfel
Swan Emperor Arenfel

Back to top Go down

Post by Lavian Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:54 pm

Charlie Blazesong wrote:
Brigs Morgan wrote:
erwtenpeller wrote:
Iriel Silversong wrote:I dont know what you mean by realistic on a fantasy roleplay but id be curious to seee your guide of how to be a mage on your stand point
Seconded.
Thirded. Fun over realism please..

Slighty on the same topic, Does warcraft lore support a "spellshot". Some one that would use some kind of enchanted bow to shoot arcane arrows.. or something like that. Hunter+mage.

There is nothing that is going against it atleast? Would be fun to see that nontheless, could even conjure the arrows! That would be cool to see! Oh my lawd yes! Bring it! On another topic, I did see a spellbow some time ago, cant remember who that was.

That would have been Celeste, yes.
Lavian
Lavian

Character sheet
Name: Lavian
Title: Dread Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Thondalar Stormleaf Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:56 pm

I RP my hunter to have no arcane abilities of his own, but he uses very tiny amounts of moonwell water slotted into his 'arcane' arrows, which he uses against undead or demons. He also uses poisoned arrows to take down people without killing them. (quick acting sedative).

Most classes have some magic in them, and its up to you how you rp. Battle mages is no new thing, its just not many who RP them currently.
Thondalar Stormleaf
Thondalar Stormleaf

Character sheet
Name: Simaria
Title: Little Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post by Gor'Thrak Frosthowl Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:01 pm

When I play on my Hunter I tend to say that I have runes engraved on my arrows, giving each arrow a specific purpose.
One may have a rune that causes the arrow to become engulfed in violent flames, another may have a rune that sends out a shockwave of ice, freezing everything within a certain radius, and so on.

As for how I obtain said runes; I gather the required reagents, and pay a Mage to help me. I find it fairly interesting to do it this way. Smile
Gor'Thrak Frosthowl
Gor'Thrak Frosthowl

Character sheet
Name: Gor'Thrak Frosthowl
Title: The Bloodaxe

Back to top Go down

Post by Elrua Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:02 pm

Brigs Morgan wrote:I knew someone who played one, He played it very well infact. It seemed like an actual class from the RPG or something. Had no idea if it existed. I forget the IC name of the character though, But I know he was a Blade for hire.

Would that be Kaladen Hillman?
I know he was an active player back then, and he joined the Blades for Hire along with myself, on Zryse... Smile
Elrua
Elrua

Character sheet
Name: Zryse
Title: Earthmender / Primal / Medic

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldiros Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:21 pm

Actually if you are looking for a Guild of mages (battlemages only in this case, I Think), I truly admire your optimism and your wonderful idea. Unfortunately mage RP is at the moment (to my experience only) not a very popular theme compared to other character scenarios. Thus if there is to be United mage Guild in the server, with the present outlooks I'd say we have room for one, though that is a personal opinion and estimation only.

I would more than gladly discuss with you maybe a high position in my own Guild, the Ordo Arcana. We are basicly an Academy but we also act as a supporting column for the Alliance armies. hence we have a battlemage section in the order (evocers in general). Since we are currently still looking for people to fill in higher positions, I would sincerely recommend contacting me about membership if you are interested. Your contribution would be highly appreciated, Thank You!  Very Happy
Eldiros
Eldiros

Character sheet
Name: Eldiros Almadros
Title: Archmage

Back to top Go down

Post by Iriel Silversong Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:46 pm

When warmages or its branches I know of three two roleplayers and my character.

Mage roleplat is fun and kays on details but theres different types of magi that could be roleplayed could be quite nice
Iriel Silversong
Iriel Silversong

Character sheet
Name: Iriel
Title: Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by James Ryder Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:04 pm

Iriel i speak of limitations because mage's are quite weak without a source of power. (Well Of Eternity,Sunwell,Ley Lines anything.) Without it a being is completely nothing. For example Azshara could squash Mannaroth with one finger but when the Well of Eternity was destroyed she was so weakened she couldn't even stop Water from flooding her room. Kael and The High Elves? They are nothing without a source of power which was proved in WC 3. So if somebody run's around all day Blinking and shooting fireball's without any sort of back up that's quite overpowered. I'm not gonna even speak of some "Self Made Spell's" i came across.
James Ryder
James Ryder

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:09 pm

Look, man. Shooting fireballs and blinking around all over the place is what makes do. It's not that powerful - A crazy gnome with a boomstick and some dynamite can do the same damage.

There's quite a bit room between "blinking all over the place" and "squashing mannoroth with one finger".

The latter requires monstrous power. The first one is just what mages do. All the time.
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by James Ryder Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:20 pm

"What Mages Do" Yes. But we are not Lore Mage's...we do not take direct part in what's going on we are left as watcher's in Blizzard's game. Placing yourself above a footmen or an apprentice mage is wrong if you become an Archmage alright do it so but don't brake the laws of this system.You are not incredibly Powerful you can't do shit that Jaina the most powerful mage of Azeroth does with quite a bit of trouble since Wellsworth she had to rest a bit after blinking a few beasts.The OOC aspect of the game tricks you into beliving that mage's actually run around all day blinking and shooting fireballs.
James Ryder
James Ryder

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ixirar Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:26 pm

How am I meant to justify being greeted as the hero of azeroth if I'm just a simple footman...
Ixirar
Ixirar

Back to top Go down

Post by James Ryder Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:30 pm

If your talking of the OOC part of the game yes you are the God Of Azeroth and you have no equal. In The IC World your just a footman nothing more than that.
James Ryder
James Ryder

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:33 pm

James Ryder wrote:If your talking of the OOC part of the game yes you are the God Of Azeroth and you have no equal. In The IC World your just a footman nothing more than that.

No, in the IC world you are what you decide to be.
Nifty
Nifty

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Paia/Jenit Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:34 pm

James Ryder wrote:If your talking of the OOC part of the game yes you are the God Of Azeroth and you have no equal. In The IC World your just a footman nothing more than that.

Why?
Paia/Jenit
Paia/Jenit

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Iriel Silversong Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:36 pm

James Ryder wrote:Iriel i speak of limitations because mage's are quite weak without a source of power. (Well Of Eternity,Sunwell,Ley Lines anything.) Without it a being is completely nothing. For example Azshara could squash Mannaroth with one finger but when the Well of Eternity was destroyed she was so weakened she couldn't even stop Water from flooding her room. Kael and The High Elves? They are nothing without a source of power which was proved in WC 3. So if somebody run's around all day Blinking and shooting fireball's without any sort of back up that's quite overpowered. I'm not gonna even speak of some "Self Made Spell's" i came across.

Look self made spells? Indirect criticism other roleplayers?

1. Self made Spells. Theres no state in lore or anywhere that mages or any other class are limited to the ones in theyre game mechanic spell book. Lore wise magi in this context has pulled self made spells to get out of hardship even acomplish the impossible , since magic has no such impossibles. .
YES! Mages can suffer exahustion, weakening, Effects of whatever spell they casted

By the way if a character says IC. I am the most powerful it may just be the character being egocentric,  overconfident and believe himself/herself he/she not the actual truth.

2. Nooooot all mages are weak some are actually no range fighters.

3. Theres spells that prevents them to take such hits or even enchants, gems that helps thwm being enhanced.

4. Have you seen current Lore? Jaina Dalaran and the High Elves? Which some of them are still in Stormwind?
Yes they have to bw really caeeful but tjey exel in magic

5. Limitations are roleplayed often these magi I seen including myself . Never placed muself above Jaina I pkay on my characters expertise she gains on her back story and the time shes been around she develops knowledge.

Its YOUR choice to create a character on the lwvel you can rokeplay acording to your knowledge, I seen no-one doing things saying: I R THE MOST POWERFUL MAGI IN AZEROTH LULS!!
But its possible people has characters that withput doubt has skill and knowledge and are considered: powerul/skilled/Monstrous tank/ Advebturer/ Hero
Whatever .
It adresses to any class or self class

Laws of this System? Give me that book I read it I swear on it.

No seriusly if you see wrong that some characters grow along the server storyline .. I dont know what to yell you

Its your choice , yours.
Not how it actually goes.

Spells are not limited to your spell book, that is as bad as using the spells and not emotimg anything ic

Also the game World of Warcraft adresses ypu as more than the average footman, if you read quests and some npcs refers you as a known powerfull HERO an adventurer? With that I dont mean everyone has to be .. just saying what Wow declines you to experiemce as rather than the average joe/sue

Last edited by Iriel Silversong on Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Iriel Silversong
Iriel Silversong

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Allonia_Miral Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:49 pm

One side likes to take everything ingame as ic fact. AThe other side doesn't. Either side is never going to convince the other to follow suit.
Allonia_Miral
Allonia_Miral

Back to top Go down

Post by Muzjhath Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:50 pm

And a third side tries to compromise but have given up on being the middleman between the two sides.
Muzjhath
Muzjhath

Character sheet
Name: Muzjhath Farstride
Title: Dead Varog'Gor

Back to top Go down

Post by James Ryder Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:53 pm

1. Iriel There is no "Mage's Can Suffer" Mage's suffer aswell as you suffer if you go to the gym and practice there is no diffrence.
3. But to create such enhancment's you must reach great power.
And if you really didn't think about it Blink is extremely powerful.Just because a video game doesn't show you it's true potential let me show you some possibilities.

A Dwarven Tank starts rampaging aiming to crush the Orc Mage.
The Orc Mage Blinks inside the tank and kills everyone inside easily.

A Human Knight eyes the Orc Mage holding his gun and shoots out at the Orc's head.
The Orc Mage blinks and knocks out the Human Knight from behind.

Not even gonna speak how it's possible for a mage to blink into another body which would cause instant death.
James Ryder
James Ryder

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldiros Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:54 pm

in roleplay games in general as well as in fantasy litterature, magic users in general are supposed to be generally more powerful and dangerous than the average individual fighter. Or at least such is the case when generalizing and stereotying the genre. Game mechanics usually downgrade magicians because of in-game fairness. and lore wise it all depends on skill of course. anyone could usually take down your average mage on Close range pretty easily and without complications, though from a long range view, if you dont bring them down with Arrows or the like, you're pretty much defeatd since mages usually have the Power to litterary inscinerate you, freeze you, evaporate your bodily fluids, etc... However, they are all pretty weak in Close range. (again, this is only generalizing your average fantasy mage, if you guys want to make mages good at Close combat, I have no problem with it whatsoever.)

I would say your average magician in the RP should have two weaknesses, one is exhaustion, which depends on skill, time and individual potential. I Think that exhaustion from mere blinking a few times should merely fall upon your average mage student and VERY Young and unexperienced mage. Archmages and other powerful individuals can also exhaust themselves pretty easily though, though blinking and shooting a few firebolts are not very exhasting spells if not done in ridiculously ceaseless quantity.
the second would probably be the fact that mages USUALLY are physically weak as every mage is a scholar who gains their Power and their knowledge from magical tomes and study.
Eldiros
Eldiros

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:59 pm

Eldiros wrote:magician

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

PS: I still don't understand what the intended point of this thread was.

Last edited by erwtenpeller on Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Iriel Silversong Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:00 pm

James Ryder wrote:1. Iriel There is no "Mage's Can Suffer" Mage's suffer aswell as you suffer if you go to the gym and practice there is no diffrence.
3. But to create such enhancment's you must reach great power.
And if you really didn't think about it Blink is extremely powerful.Just because a video game doesn't show you it's true potential let me show you some possibilities.

A Dwarven Tank starts rampaging aiming to crush the Orc Mage.
The Orc Mage Blinks inside the tank and kills everyone inside easily.

A Human Knight eyes the Orc Mage holding his gun and shoots out at the Orc's head.
The Orc Mage blinks and knocks out the Human Knight from behind.

Not even gonna speak how it's possible for a mage to blink into another body which would cause instant death.

Which is more or less what I said?

Mages in this case depending which type or any class suffer consequence  and or situational effect
Obviusly

Your point?

I am still trying to understand the realistic part of being a mage

Maybe This?

Last edited by Iriel Silversong on Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Iriel Silversong
Iriel Silversong

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Ixirar Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:03 pm

Blink seems to follow ye olde rule of "You must have visual contact with the destination", which is why it doesn't allow you to blink through walls and so on. So no, you wouldn't blink inside somebody else or into a tank and kill the pilot.
Ixirar
Ixirar

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldiros Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:03 pm

In short:
when making a mage character, consider the incredible Power and possibilities you usually hold in your spells for they can be both very overpowering and unexpected of effect, but REMAIN MORTAL for f*** sake!

I will admit that it is tempting for me to RP Eldiros just "inscinerating" certain individuals who attack him with a mere snap of his fingers, however, I Always keep myself from that because if a mage RRp's out the full extent of his/her creativity, it will really be boring and annoying for other players. Also, if you use an extremely powerful spell as a mage to overly OP save the day, you could for an example make sure that you cant use magic for a long time because you've exhausted your Powers utterly. Then you usually are just a powerless weakling if you keep to my generalization (which is -not- a must!). then, RPing as a mage will not make you overly lordly and powerful, as long as you show weakness and mortality as well
I realize this was -not- a short explanation, sorry guys  silent 
Eldiros
Eldiros

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Littlepip Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:05 pm

I can already imagine the epic fight between a Battlemage and a Death knight!

Thorvaldius swings his mighty blade down towards the undead knight wielding his shield in his right, as the blade clashes down the death knight does a quick withdraw to evade the blade. The death knight grins under his mask as the warriors blade swings past him and looses his balance, as he does the knight is swift! He quickly lashes towards Thorvaldius!
Yet Thorvaldius has a trick up his sleeve, he swiftly swings his shield towards the Death knight and whispers a quick incarnation, behind the cover of the shield Thor creates a ball of molten lava!
He launches the ball at the death knight before he can take his swing and melts his body to a molten pile of flesh and metal.

One day, when I finally start leveling again.
Littlepip
Littlepip

Character sheet
Name: Littlepip
Title: Runemage

http://the-adventures-of-roleplay.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next