Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Finding threads

+4
Grufftoof
Cid
erwtenpeller
Cathee Norris
8 posters

Go down

Finding threads Empty Finding threads

Post by Cathee Norris Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:36 pm

To prevent tons threads being made about the same topic, I decided to make this one so that we can all help each others. So, here in this thread you simply write and ask if you're unsure whether or not a thread has already been made about a topic you would like to discuss and the rest of the members can send links to direct you into the right way.
Cathee Norris
Cathee Norris

Character sheet
Name: Cathee Piner
Title:

Back to top Go down

Finding threads Empty Re: Finding threads

Post by erwtenpeller Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:11 pm

Have you considered that the fact that people can't find threads may be a problem with the DefiasRP forum structure, not it's posters willingness (or ability) to search for them?
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Cathee Norris Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:14 pm

I'm not sure what that problem would be. The structure is pretty easy and basic now. Only thing I could understand being hard to find perhaps would be group forums, but even that is sort of easy if you've been on the forum a while.
Cathee Norris
Cathee Norris

Character sheet
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Cid Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:17 pm

Think it be an issue of both, though the second could be affected by the first.
Cid
Cid

Character sheet
Name: Cid Blackforge
Title: Captain of the Guard

Back to top Go down

Post by Cathee Norris Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:23 pm

I think it's really as basic as it can get. Each forum section is pretty self-explanatory, and even if it wasn't there is a description under each one that explains what goes where. I think it's mostly a matter of people being observant or not, taking the time to read and make sure what to put where and to look through old threads to see if a topic has been discussed. The later I can see being a problem. I wouldn't myself have the patience or energy to look through all the old threads, which is why I believe this one will be very helpful.

There are many threads that have been dead for a long while though. But I don't really see a point in removing them since we don't know if said discussion gets brought up again - in which case old threads can be useful.
Cathee Norris
Cathee Norris

Character sheet
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Grufftoof Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:46 pm

The search function on the forum isn't very robust.  That's nothing we can really change.  We could have a strike title/subject rule where everything was catalogued and worded correctly so future searchers could more easily find the relevant info... but yes.  That's not going to happen.

Having this kind of thread isn't a bad idea for the "oh, erm, I seem to remember this...".
Grufftoof
Grufftoof

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:53 pm

Perhaps an archive sub-forum can be created that is separated by a different liner on the forum and at the bottom where posts say, from 2011 and further are kept (still by their appropriate categories, except in a simplified version, IC, OOC, Registry?).

Though that would be a few hours work at least.

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaryl Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:08 pm

that's not easy to do, since the search function sucks so badly it doesn't show every post/topic. and i don't wish anyone to click every thread to be moved. there are hundreds of them.

I think this post is more than decent. I also like the general forum structure now, even if it could still use a few brushups.

Amaryl

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:43 pm

Grufftoof wrote:The search function on the forum isn't very robust.
"Isn't very robust" is an understatement. The search function on this forum is absolutely atrocious, probably the worst of any forum I've seen.
Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet
Name: Archmage Drustai
Title: The Necromancer

Back to top Go down

Post by Azmariel Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:45 pm

Drustai wrote:absolutely atrocious
For some reasons, this sentence made my day.

And I vote for Archives. Or just new forums. <_<
Azmariel
Azmariel

Character sheet
Name: Azmariel Dunmar
Title: Archduchess of nevergonnahappen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mallucis Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:36 pm

I have a question regarding any law that was setting rules for becoming a Knight and especially owning a land/territory in case of Nobles and Lords. Was such ever created?
Mallucis
Mallucis

Character sheet
Name: Aramal Blackstone
Title: Knight of Stormwind, Lord of Blackwood

http://mallucis.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaryl Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:46 pm

Well, I think you might have misplaced that post, but to answer your question: there's no law against anything. If you want to be a knight, or a lord, or a duke or a baron, or a viscount, or marquis, just roleplay one, as long as you understand that you cannot actually rule over anyone, beyond the people that let you.

Amaryl

Back to top Go down

Post by Mallucis Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:02 pm

Amaryl wrote:Well, I think you might have misplaced that post, but to answer your question: there's no law against anything. If you want to be a knight, or a lord, or a duke or a baron, or a viscount, or marquis, just roleplay one, as long as you understand that you cannot actually rule over anyone, beyond the people that let you.

I was quite sure such matter was brought up before. As the land controlled by the Alliance is limited, and being a Sir or a Lord without a land is... strange (how would they get any income?). It works for the cities, which are controlled by organisations/communities, like the Council in SW and used-to-be Senate.
Mallucis
Mallucis

Character sheet
Name: Aramal Blackstone
Title: Knight of Stormwind, Lord of Blackwood

http://mallucis.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaryl Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:47 pm

Well, I think I remember about a half dozen threads dealing with ownership, all derailing into drama-lama-land, from the first post onwards, I don't recall any particular thread about claiming lordships.

Amaryl

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:52 pm

Mallucis wrote:I have a question regarding any law that was setting rules for becoming a Knight and especially owning a land/territory in case of Nobles and Lords. Was such ever created?

None were ever created as the Council by and large should not have any involvement with this. This kind of thing is dictated by noble houses, of which the Council should not be an arbitrator of.

Traditionally IRL, to become a knight or lord, a person must swear fealty to another lord, who grants them a title and corresponding piece of their land. Land is indeed not infinite, new lords are created by proportioning the existing mass. For this reason, creating new lords is not something that is done frequently as it entails the senior lord dividing up their own land into subordinate holders. These holders are sworn to serve him, so in that sense it is still somewhat "their land", but oaths can be broken.

In RP, this would entail either swearing fealty to an existing lordly character, to whom you will from then on serve as their vassal, or by having an NPC background lord who you are again the vassal of. There wouldn't be any real hard rules here, because the conditions for creating and granting the title would be determined on an individual level by the senior lord.

The other possibility is knightly orders. Similarly these orders were founded by a senior lord and given some degree of land. In this case these orders typically have a hard limit of members based on their level of resources. Similarly, being added to such an order would require fulfilling whatever recruitment conditions have been established by that order, and these would vary from order to order. For knightly orders, knightly or even lordly titles are granted but land ownership is usually communal rather than individual (a single HQ or several chapter HQs granted to the order as a whole by lordly benefactors).

Lastly is honorific knighthood. That doesn't offer land and doesn't really confer any real power beyond respectability.
Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet
Name: Archmage Drustai
Title: The Necromancer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mallucis Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:31 pm

Thank you, Drustai.
Mallucis
Mallucis

Character sheet