Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Worth of Gold, Silver, Copper

4 posters

Go down

The Worth of Gold, Silver, Copper Empty The Worth of Gold, Silver, Copper

Post by Skaraa Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:11 pm

From my experience there seems to be a debate (depending on who you are talking to) among RPers as to how much Gold, Silver, and Copper are worth from the IC perspective. Some people seem to say "10 Gold is alot of money" others seems to be in favour of "1,000 Gold is alot of money". Now, obviously what we think alot of money is seems terribly subjective so lets break it down:

• How much is a small house?

• How much is a bottle of average wine?

• How much is a loaf of bread?

Now, the lore seems to indicate that originally all money was in Gold until later Silver and Copper came into fashion. Goblins (apparently) use a slightly different system, though that may be a retcon, I am not sure.
The only way that I can think of to find evidence for any side of this would be to look through all of the Warcraft Novels and look at any instances (there seem likely to be few) of the characters buying something and note how much it cost and what it was. I am unaware of any examples of this, I've not read most of the books, and am hoping that there will be someone here who knows of concrete evidence of how much a Gold piece is worth (in relation to goods bought).

Why the Warcraft Novels? Well, do we think that training to ride a flying mount slightly more speed-efficient than other people do would cost 5,000 Gold from an In Character perspective? I think that, frankly, sounds absurd. But I'm here to ask what all of you think.

Please, take it away Wink
Skaraa
Skaraa

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

The Worth of Gold, Silver, Copper Empty Re: The Worth of Gold, Silver, Copper

Post by Vaell Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:36 pm

There's a thread for this somewhere, with a break down of the system I follow. I prefer to look upon gold as valuable as it allows for richer storytelling. It creates a class system. I'm sure someone will link the thread I'm referring to (was it Meln's?)
Vaell
Vaell

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:40 pm

If the money system is true gold is a lot, 1 gold is 10,000 copper coins. If we put a price on stuff say 5 coppers is a drink or a meal then 1 gold is 2000 ales or pizzas. Even if the prices are more than this, a Gold coin is like... a thousand pound note or something, which is more or less useless for everyday use. Imagine paying for a drink with a thousand pound note and you will understand, which is why I hate 1000 gold rewards or people tipping a barmaid with a gold coin.
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Melnerag Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:14 pm

Something I wrote a while back:

http://www.defiasrp.com/t3695-financial-role-play

Tell me if the link doesn't work.
Melnerag
Melnerag

Back to top Go down

Post by Skaraa Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:00 pm

That link is very helpful, and the work that you put into it is apparent.

Thanks very much, I may well make good use of it.
Skaraa
Skaraa

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down