Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Death Knights vs. Paladins vs. Shadow knights.

+11
Krogon Devilstep
Helmut
Amaryl
erwtenpeller
Vaell
Drustai
Littlepip
Muzjhath
Kristeas Sunbinder
siegmund
Thelos
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Death Knights vs. Paladins vs. Shadow knights. Empty Death Knights vs. Paladins vs. Shadow knights.

Post by Littlepip Mon May 06, 2013 6:55 am

Death Knights vs. Paladins vs. Shadow knights.

This is a small thing that has confused me slightly, who is the strongest one of all these three?

And yes, shadow knight is a thing.
Littlepip
Littlepip

Character sheet
Name: Littlepip
Title: Runemage

http://the-adventures-of-roleplay.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Death Knights vs. Paladins vs. Shadow knights. Empty Re: Death Knights vs. Paladins vs. Shadow knights.

Post by Thelos Mon May 06, 2013 7:02 am

Thorvald wrote:And yes, shadow knight is a thing.

Pardon my insolence, but -

Is it?

And if so, what kind of thing is it?

Because I don't think I've ever seen one.
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Death Knights vs. Paladins vs. Shadow knights. Empty Re: Death Knights vs. Paladins vs. Shadow knights.

Post by Drustai Mon May 06, 2013 7:05 am

The strongest depends on the individual characters, the situation, and the RP.

The end.

Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet
Name: Archmage Drustai
Title: The Necromancer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 06, 2013 7:14 am

Thelos wrote:
Thorvald wrote:And yes, shadow knight is a thing.

Pardon my insolence, but -

Is it?

And if so, what kind of thing is it?

Because I don't think I've ever seen one.

A gentleman from my guild had a small thing going. Essentially the antithesis of a paladin in faith, but basically the same thing.

http://www.defiasrp.com/t6463-get-busy-dying

As for who is stronger, Drustai summarized it well enough.

Back to top Go down

Post by Littlepip Mon May 06, 2013 7:22 am

Well if you think logical shouldn't the Paladin win? He uses the light which is most powerful against Shadow magic and Shadow magic.

For this we can say that everyone is just as smart as the other, Lets take a Arthas example.

Arthas Shadow knight
Arthas Death Knight (Before he became lich king!)
Arthas Paladin.
Littlepip
Littlepip

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by siegmund Mon May 06, 2013 7:22 am

Aparently there is... But not much to work on Twilight Shadow Knight. Well it's more of a fancy name to call one who took a diffrent path, as Vang stated of his member, but that's just a loss at what else to call someone like that.

As for strong, dru sumed it up.

EDIT:

I don't think Arthas ever was a "Shadow Knight", how do you even define a Shadow Knight? All i know is when he took up the cursed runeblade Frostmourne, he became a death knight. Merging with Ner'zhul made him LK. At start he was a Paladin, though his connection to the light grew weaker when he started doing bad things.
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai Mon May 06, 2013 7:33 am

Shadow knight clearly just refers to any shadow-using melee warrior. Blackguard type characters. Rogues could kind of classify as shadow knights seeing as they're melee fighters who utilize some shadow magic.

As for the strength question. The Light is the counter to Shadow. That does not mean a paladin is guaranteed to win just because he's a paladin, nor does it mean he's stronger than his opponent. RP situations are never perfectly equal. Therefore the theoretics are irrelevent.
Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by siegmund Mon May 06, 2013 7:37 am

Hmm, yeah. Though then Arthas wasn't a shadow knight, since unless a lore wizz knows he didn't really use shadow till after finding frostmourne.

Agree with above, though i don't think Rogues could fit the Shadow Knight term, melle sure, shadow magic yep, armor and frontline fighter? Not really. Lots of sub names for classes, not really know them all though.

All in all:

The strongest depends on the individual characters, the situation, and the RP.

The end.
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Littlepip Mon May 06, 2013 7:41 am

siegmund wrote:
I don't think Arthas ever was a "Shadow Knight", how do you even define a Shadow Knight? All i know is when he took up the cursed runeblade Frostmourne, he became a death knight. Merging with Ner'zhul made him LK. At start he was a Paladin, though his connection to the light grew weaker when he started doing bad things.

It was just a way to explain what I was thinking, The same person just with different powers, same strength, same thought but with different powers fighting each other.

Just to add something now.

Light vs. Shadow = Light.
Light vs. Unholy = Light.
Shadow vs. Unholy = ?
Littlepip
Littlepip

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Muzjhath Mon May 06, 2013 7:46 am

Well Siegmund, in my opinion you can be a paladin without being a huge armored knight. Yes, most Paladins are. They generally have money (themselves as nobel men, or from the church) to purchase that most protective armor, so they do. That doesn't stop a paladin from learning how to sneak past wearking leathers to be able to scout if needed.

So if the defention of "Paladin" is "ordained lightweilding warrior". Wouldn't a rogue who's ordained in shadow be a "Shadowknight" of some kind?

But yes, Drus had the right of it.
Depends on the induvidual character, the situation, and the RP.

Edit:
Thorval.
Light = Shadow.
Not Light > Shadow.

They are equal. The one winning is the one with the greater faith and personal willpower.
Muzjhath
Muzjhath

Character sheet
Name: Muzjhath Farstride
Title: Dead Varog'Gor

Back to top Go down

Post by Littlepip Mon May 06, 2013 7:48 am

We should have some kind of strength system, Light beats shadow, nature magic beats Necromancy, etc etc. Just an idea tho.
Littlepip
Littlepip

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos Mon May 06, 2013 7:51 am

The winner is decided by the only God this universe truly knows:

RNG.
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Muzjhath Mon May 06, 2013 7:54 am

Why?

Why ruin it with a strenght system?
I'm serious here, putting in thrumps would just be horrid, the world you RP in is already static enough as it is. (You can't have a huge serverwide event where Stormwind would be blown to pieces by magic for example).
Why put in arbitrary rules of which magic that is greater?
Muzjhath
Muzjhath

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai Mon May 06, 2013 8:01 am

Thorvald wrote:
siegmund wrote:

It was just a way to explain what I was thinking, The same person just with different powers, same strength, same thought but with different powers fighting each other.

Just to add something now.

Light vs. Shadow = Light.
Light vs. Unholy = Light.
Shadow vs. Unholy = ?

The last point is largely irrelevant, because unholy is basically shadow. It just happens to include some twisted and corrupted life in the mix, and most corresponds with the Plague multischool in mechanics.

We should have some kind of strength system, Light beats shadow, nature magic beats Necromancy, etc etc. Just an idea tho.

No, we shouldn't, because it's situational.

Last edited by Drustai on Mon May 06, 2013 8:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Littlepip Mon May 06, 2013 8:01 am

It was just one of the daily ideas that usually ends up in the trash, this time I were sitting infront of a computer with net so I wrote it down.

Thelos wrote:The winner is decided by the only God this universe truly knows:

RNG.

Hehehe, why we even have that system while were fighting beats me, I think it is much better to fight until our character gets to tired to react, does a misstake or see no way to avoid the attack.

RNG should only be used when avoiding like a rock or if your trying to hit something with a rifle. If you are used to the weapon, (Like a mountaineer.) You should gett a small bonus.. Like 5 plus on roll.
Littlepip
Littlepip

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by siegmund Mon May 06, 2013 8:04 am

Hm, good point Muzjhath. I guess it would be fun to see a more Knight like char being played by a Rogue class. But then again too many rogues as there is!

But yeah as most stated, there is no need for a strenght system, each magic has their +++ and --- As well as Necromancy, Shadow and Unholy are basically same thing, but one term is used to describe the other two in a more general manner.

Plus as most said Theory and practice are diffrent. I'm sure a weaker Shadow User won't go up against a Strong Paladin directly.
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristeas Sunbinder Mon May 06, 2013 8:06 am

The idea of setting up a rock paper scissors thing for magic leaves me sceptical, especially since we have little to no information on how the magic works. Even at the moment there are more than one school of thought for each "school", leading to a broader variety of magical roleplay, but it strikes me as unsuitable if you want to start ranking them all.
Kristeas Sunbinder
Kristeas Sunbinder

Character sheet
Name: Kristeas Sunbinder
Title: Operative for Sin Belore

Back to top Go down

Post by Littlepip Mon May 06, 2013 8:10 am

Seems like Drustai knows a bit about it.. I should really look up a Guide on magic soon.. But they are so loong!
Littlepip
Littlepip

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by siegmund Mon May 06, 2013 8:10 am

Problem is there is too much magic to even consider that, then you even have sub schools and Rock Paper Scissors is only so fun.

Like in PvP if your class is always countered by Warriors it's not fun. If one can beat the other at 50/50 depending on who can outplay who then it's fun! Same with magic in RP and other things. (Considering gear and skill would be similar or close enough)
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai Mon May 06, 2013 8:17 am

Thorvald wrote:Seems like Drustai knows a bit about it.. I should really look up a Guide on magic soon.. But they are so loong!

Merry Christmas.

Long is an understatement.
Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Littlepip Mon May 06, 2013 8:26 am

*Thor clicks on the link and looks at the slider on the right side. For a short moment he just frowns before fainting, falling backwards into the sofa, not writing this..*

How long did it take you to write that? Why in the world did you take so long time writing that? How did you write that?
Littlepip
Littlepip

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Muzjhath Mon May 06, 2013 8:31 am

Because of intrest and passion.
Muzjhath
Muzjhath

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Littlepip Mon May 06, 2013 8:34 am

This is madness..
Littlepip
Littlepip

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai Mon May 06, 2013 8:43 am

Thorvald wrote:*Thor clicks on the link and looks at the slider on the right side. For a short moment he just frowns before fainting, falling backwards into the sofa, not writing this..*

How long did it take you to write that? Why in the world did you take so long time writing that? How did you write that?

Time: A year and a half, off and on.

Why: Interest, passion, ambition, perfectionism.

How: Research.
Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Vaell Mon May 06, 2013 8:56 am

Countering shadow with the light isn't as simple as just turning on a switch!

It all comes down to the character's strengths. A paladin might be overwhelmed by the vast shadow that a Death Knight can wield. It's all dependant on situation, characters and context.

I don't see it as a simple rock, paper & scissors though. I picture it more like how water is the counter to fire. If the fire is overwhelming and the hydromancer can't deal with it - he's toast!

Combat being as black and white as you're making it out to be would be horribly boring!
Vaell
Vaell

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next