Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Holy Light Wedding Ceremony

+3
Kristeas Sunbinder
Cid
Skaraa
7 posters

Go down

Holy Light Wedding Ceremony Empty Holy Light Wedding Ceremony

Post by Skaraa Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:19 pm

I am not aware of any official lore in this area. If anyone can direct me to something, if it exists, that would be useful. However, I am currently planning a wedding RP event for my and my friend's characters on TVC. We have both been to some RPed weddings before, are both similarly a -little- elitist, and are quite excited about the prospect of 'doing it properly'. To this end, I've written a ceremony - weddings are all about culture, tradition, and ritual - I thought it would make sense to line it all out like a performance (as it is often approached IRL). Why am I posting it? Two reasons; I want critique/suggestions, and because it may even be of use to some of you (if you like it).

I want to explain a few things; firstly I've taken some traditions from IRL cultures. Secondly, I have ditched/augmented a lot of western society's (largely Christian based) traditions. My reasons for this are quite simple: The Holy Light is not and, as far as I can tell, has never been a misogynistic tradition. That is; things like the procession (the giving away of the bride as property) would never have been established as tradition. In it's place I've put forward the idea of the friends and family giving them to each other and blessing their union. You can debate with me about whether or not these traditions are misogynistic if you like, but please don't take over the thread with it - the history of western christian marriage tradition is not overly relevant to this thread.
Rings are included, as are vows. However, I thought it would make more sense if vows are linked to the virtue of Compassion and the Bride and Groom have to write them themselves.
I'll point out now that I've mostly used Human traditions here, mostly for ease of writing, and partially because the lore for Draenei customs of worship is scarce. I would suggest the same general format with reference to the Naaru, and including Draenei prayers. I've left it open for including prayers wherever people want, I would suggest after the "I Do's", exchanging of rings and vows. Perhaps prior to the four steps, also.

The wording is what would be said by the officiator of the wedding, everything else is in [brackets].

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Friends and Family are already gathered, bride and groom proceed into the location from different directions accompanied by their respective entourage (maid-of-honour/best man, flower girls/page boys, bridesmaids/groomsmen) – accompanied by music they both take respective positions.]

Friends, we are gathered here today to witness the joining of two souls. Here, under the blessings of the Holy Light, I would ask you all to answer me. Who gives these two to each other, and who blesses their joining?

[Friends and Family say “I/We do.”]

The philosophy of the Holy Light states that all are connected inherently to the Universe. This connection is manifested in the emotions that we feel, and these emotions ensure us of the existence of the self and of the universe, and of the connection which they share. The tenants of the Holy Light are difficult to put into words; although we try our best here.

The Virtue of Respect. Do you swear and affirm, before this gathering; to hold respect for each other, to do your upmost to make each other happy and prosperous, and never to do harm to each other’s emotional or physical wellbeing, for as long as both shall live?

[Bride and Groom say “I do.”]

The Virtue of Tenacity. Just as everything you do exerts some effect upon the universe, no matter how small, so too does everything you do from now exert a more profound effect upon each other. There is no place for singular nouns or selfish acts in this union. Just as one must give all of their years of dedication to master the way of the Holy Light, so too now must you give all of your years of dedication to each other.
In symbolism of this; please, now, exchange rings – set in gold, never changing, let they always remind you of the Tenacity which you must gift, freely, upon one another.

[Exchanging of rings.]

The Virtue of Compassion. Just as one must know when and when not to gift aid to another, you must know how best to be compassionate to, and love one another. To this end, you may now exchange your own written vows.

[Exchanging of vows.]

You each chose a close friend or family member to stand with you today. Will they, now, step up and pour white wine into the glass – this represents the words and blessings of those you stand before. You will both drink from the wine, golden as the Holy Light, filled with the blessings and good words of your friends and family. I would ask that those in attendance think, during the filling and drinking, of all they wish for this couple here today, and in their future together.

[Filling of glass with white wine, drinking of wine by Bride/Groom.]

Now, with the glass drank from by the bride and groom, place it upon the floor. With each of your feet, step upon it and break it – such that no other may drink from this glass, to symbolise that you will hold no love like you do for each other for any other.

[Bride and Groom step upon and break the glass.]

Upon completion of this ceremony, may we highlight the first steps that you take together as two souls joined into one.
Take your first step, may it lead to happiness and prosperity.

[Bride and Groom take one step towards the location from which they entered.]

Take your second step, may it lead to long life and unending love for one another.

[Bride and Groom take a second step.]

Take your third step, may it lead to wisdom and strength of the soul, mind, and physique.

[Bride and Groom take a third step.]

Take your fourth step, may it lead to healthy and thriving progeny.

[Bride and Groom take a fourth step.]

Now turn, face one another. I offer for you to exchange your first kiss together, before those who care for and love you and who came together to share this day with you.

[Bride and Groom kiss.]

Congratulations.

[Official Ceremony concludes, perhaps with cheering/fireworks/firing of weapons or spells into the air by those in attendance. Bride and Groom leave together, followed by their entourages, followed by friends and family. Signing of any official documents may take place at the location of the wedding, or at a town hall/governmental establishment.]
Skaraa
Skaraa

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Holy Light Wedding Ceremony Empty Re: Holy Light Wedding Ceremony

Post by Cid Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:47 pm

We had a few Dwarven weddings along quite some time ago. Heavy drinking before, during and after the ceremony, and for some reason they always gets the attention of Horde. Fun scraps to be had! Very Happy
Cid
Cid

Character sheet
Name: Cid Blackforge
Title: Captain of the Guard

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristeas Sunbinder Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:08 pm

Cid wrote:We had a few Dwarven weddings along quite some time ago. Heavy drinking before, during and after the ceremony, and for some reason they always gets the attention of Horde. Fun scraps to be had! Very Happy

You party to loud maybe?
Kristeas Sunbinder
Kristeas Sunbinder

Character sheet
Name: Kristeas Sunbinder
Title: Operative for Sin Belore

Back to top Go down

Post by Cid Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:44 pm

Nah, first one Shadow of Nine tried to wreck while we were in Hinterlands. Wildhammer weddings requires brawls anyway, so it just added to the whole experience. Very Happy
Second one Goon Squad tried to wreck in Dun Morogh, with the failed result being filmed and put up on youtube. Twisted Evil

Still, have yet to see the weddings of other races and how they work things out (no romantic ceremony for Tyrande and Malfurion for what we've seen for example).
Cid
Cid

Character sheet
Name: Cid Blackforge
Title: Captain of the Guard

Back to top Go down

Post by Raene Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:46 pm

Weddings seem to be an odd thing for Nelfs to have... I don't know, it just doesn't seem to make sense from my perspective.

They're not feudal, blood relatives seem to mean little when they call each other Brother/Sister anyway, and they're not a race that seems to be promiscuous by nature with their partners.
Raene
Raene

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:48 pm

I watched a lesbian worgen death knight wedding on AD. One was pregnant.

It was beautiful.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raene Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:54 pm

You hurt my life Vangrel.
Raene
Raene

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Skaraa Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:19 pm

Vangrel Lansire wrote:I watched a lesbian worgen death knight wedding on AD. One was pregnant.

It was beautiful.

That's nothing. Have you seen the Nelf lesbian Demon Hunters who, rather than hunting demons, spend their days having sex in the Twilight Vale?

This is why I have no intention of playing a character on AD. Razz
Skaraa
Skaraa

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:25 pm

I have seen a DK having sex/cybering in the middle of cathedral square with another person on Defias Brotherhood.

Don't be too quick to rule out that DB has perverts too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Xen-tau Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:28 pm

Am I the only one that would go all creative at a wedding? I prefer that over a 1 on 1 copy of a christian wedding... just think how your race would do it!

Orcs for example, just ignore the end of the world!
Xen-tau
Xen-tau

Character sheet
Name: Aishling Silversun/Dawncaller
Title: Magistrix

Back to top Go down

Post by Raene Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:31 pm

I was upset that Sens wedding was a flop, and a rushed flop at that.

Had to get it done though, short time scale and all that.
Raene
Raene

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:44 pm

Aishling wrote:Am I the only one that would go all creative at a wedding? I prefer that over a 1 on 1 copy of a christian wedding... just think how your race would do it!

That's a good idea. I can definitely agree to this. Each would be blessed by their own belief system, Orc's by the spirits of their shamans for example. Forsaken by the Forgotten Shadow. Tauren by the cow god. Panda's by the.. something. Draenei by the Light. But I think most 'marriages' in WoW are more like the translation of civil partnership rather than a real marriage. Though I have seen many people both friend and foe get married just to cyber their tits off so it's been rabidly abused as a function.

My dwarf is married but I never got to RP out the marriage, but as has been aforementioned by Darth Cid - Heavy drinking, fighting, brawling. (Soviet)

Back to top Go down

Post by Skaraa Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:31 pm

Vangrel Lansire wrote:
Aishling wrote:Am I the only one that would go all creative at a wedding? I prefer that over a 1 on 1 copy of a christian wedding... just think how your race would do it!

That's a good idea. I can definitely agree to this. Each would be blessed by their own belief system, Orc's by the spirits of their shamans for example. Forsaken by the Forgotten Shadow. Tauren by the cow god. Panda's by the.. something. Draenei by the Light. But I think most 'marriages' in WoW are more like the translation of civil partnership rather than a real marriage. Though I have seen many people both friend and foe get married just to cyber their tits off so it's been rabidly abused as a function.

My dwarf is married but I never got to RP out the marriage, but as has been aforementioned by Darth Cid - Heavy drinking, fighting, brawling. (Soviet)

If we consider that most people don't wait till after marriage anyway, and then factor in that you're not supposed to be cybering on WoW regardless...why get your toons married before ERPing? :s

Stupid people are stupid.
Skaraa
Skaraa

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:57 pm

Unfortunately so Skaraa, unfortunately so.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gogol Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:42 am

Vangrel Lansire wrote:My dwarf is married but I never got to RP out the marriage, but as has been aforementioned by Darth Cid - Heavy drinking, fighting, brawling. (Soviet)

When Irondawn weddings are properly rp'ed out, it only leads to stone cold death. For the male part at least.
Gogol
Gogol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:41 am

Gogol wrote:
Vangrel Lansire wrote:My dwarf is married but I never got to RP out the marriage, but as has been aforementioned by Darth Cid - Heavy drinking, fighting, brawling. (Soviet)

When Irondawn weddings are properly rp'ed out, it only leads to stone cold death. For the male part at least.

There may come a time yet

Back to top Go down

Post by Coppersocket Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:41 pm

Well, if you want a tip on Dwarven weddings, look at the Wildhammer quest chain in Twilight Highlands. They only allow marriage ceremonies once per year.
Coppersocket
Coppersocket

Character sheet
Name: Mineral Coppersocket
Title: Street Sweeper, Jeweler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down