Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shadowmeld and Roleplaying

+18
Manathon
Cid
Grufftoof
Swan Emperor Arenfel
Dréfurion
erwtenpeller
Calisar
Seranita
Feral / Blackfall
Kristeas Sunbinder
Thondalar Stormleaf
Sorayah
Lexgrad
Emrys
Vaell
Raene
Tuomas/Decurius
Ixirar
22 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Shadowmeld and Roleplaying - Page 2 Empty Re: Shadowmeld and Roleplaying

Post by erwtenpeller Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:56 pm

You can, however, choose to role-play it as being such if you prefer. Just don't get mad at people who do use it as a complete invis.
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Swan Emperor Arenfel Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:08 pm

erwtenpeller wrote:You can, however, choose to role-play it as being such if you prefer. Just don't get mad at people who do use it as a complete invis.

Agree one-hundred-percent, I do not understand why people come up with such arbitary rules or reasons to simply debunk roleplayers using stealth. The fear of being overheard should be just as much an element in roleplay, as the fear of being caught. Locked doors are seldom ever soundproof, and if you aren't taking steps to communicate this (having your conversation via whisper, or party chat?) then you cannot hold players who may have walked past accountable for witnessing the exchange of information.

If you do not want people standing outside the door? Position guards, don't have the necessary players or resources to do this? Adjust, and compensate for the fact somebody may be listening.

Worried somebody is on the roof or is listening through a crack in the wall? Fill it in, or have somebody stand on the opposite side to ensure this doesn't happen. Don't have the necessary players or resources to do this? Adjust and compensate.

Want to have a conversation behind a soundproofed object? Have it in whispers or party chat, and /emote the fact you're doing so.
Swan Emperor Arenfel
Swan Emperor Arenfel

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:10 pm

Pro post, failmage. Would read again.
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Raene Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:14 pm

I'm of the school of thought of Blogatelle when it comes to Nelf DK's.

http://blogatelle.wordpress.com/2008/11/04/theme-week-night-elves-the-night-elf-play-file/

Death Knight: Twice damned. To be undead is to slip out of tune with the world, to deny ones rightful place in the circle of life. But to do so willingly, in the search for power? There is no way faster to demonstrate your contempt for the wisdom of Elune.

Which is why Raene believes Nelf DK's who do not contribute to the glory of Elune should kill themselves. Only the living should humour themselves with pointless 'fun' stuff, because they're still alive, part of Elunes plan. Anyone who goes against it by being undead had better have a good reason for staying alive, and if it's anything other than for the glory of Elune, she dismisses them.

She's a little more accepting of other races DK's however, something about inferior races not understanding the glory of Elune don't matter anyway, even in death. Draenei DK's are a whole different matter, but that's too intricate for this non-DK thread.

Edit: To clarify why I'm talking about Nelf DK's, it's because of the whole "contempt for Elune" thing. Especially when the majority of RPers here seem to believe it's an Elune granted ability.
Raene
Raene

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ixirar Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:25 pm

Monrena wrote:
Aelrath wrote:
Monrena wrote:espeshialy if its very dark.. the glow could infttc give her away

All Elven eyes glow. Sin'dorei (Green), Quel'dorei (Blue), Kaldorei (Golden for Druids or special born and Silver naturally).
im treeting it because of the following
Shentin was only just an adault nelf at a sprightly young 312 years old when she caught the pluage and died.. only to be braught back to undeadhood just as the battle of lights hope was in progress.. the hold fell befor she had been trained and put threw the process fully into dk hood.. as a result she has neather the ability or skill to fully shroud herself with shadowmelding

Aren't night elves immune to diseases?

Edit: To clarify why I'm talking about Nelf DK's, it's because of the whole "contempt for Elune" thing. Especially when the majority of RPers here seem to believe it's an Elune granted ability.

The only lore we have on Shadowmeld is the quote from Tyrande in WC3 where she states that Elune gave them the ability.
Ixirar
Ixirar

Back to top Go down

Post by Dréfurion Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:27 pm

Ixirar/Kavalis wrote:
Monrena wrote:
Aelrath wrote:
Monrena wrote:espeshialy if its very dark.. the glow could infttc give her away

All Elven eyes glow. Sin'dorei (Green), Quel'dorei (Blue), Kaldorei (Golden for Druids or special born and Silver naturally).
im treeting it because of the following
Shentin was only just an adault nelf at a sprightly young 312 years old when she caught the pluage and died.. only to be braught back to undeadhood just as the battle of lights hope was in progress.. the hold fell befor she had been trained and put threw the process fully into dk hood.. as a result she has neather the ability or skill to fully shroud herself with shadowmelding

Aren't night elves immune to diseases?

Yes, but there was a window in which they weren't.

Dréfurion

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ixirar Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:30 pm

Ah, right. My mistake then.
Ixirar
Ixirar

Back to top Go down

Post by Seranita Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:38 pm

indeed from vanilla to cata nelfs were fully mortal anf vulnerable
Seranita
Seranita

Character sheet
Name: Monrena
Title: Trainee Vindicator/engeneer

Back to top Go down

Post by Feral / Blackfall Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:53 pm

Arenfel/Mikhael wrote:
erwtenpeller wrote:You can, however, choose to role-play it as being such if you prefer. Just don't get mad at people who do use it as a complete invis.

Agree one-hundred-percent, I do not understand why people come up with such arbitary rules or reasons to simply debunk roleplayers using stealth. The fear of being overheard should be just as much an element in roleplay, as the fear of being caught. Locked doors are seldom ever soundproof, and if you aren't taking steps to communicate this (having your conversation via whisper, or party chat?) then you cannot hold players who may have walked past accountable for witnessing the exchange of information.

If you do not want people standing outside the door? Position guards, don't have the necessary players or resources to do this? Adjust, and compensate for the fact somebody may be listening.

Worried somebody is on the roof or is listening through a crack in the wall? Fill it in, or have somebody stand on the opposite side to ensure this doesn't happen. Don't have the necessary players or resources to do this? Adjust and compensate.

Want to have a conversation behind a soundproofed object? Have it in whispers or party chat, and /emote the fact you're doing so.

Logically, this is entirely correct, but I've seen far too many bad RPers come out with intel heard through roofs etc regarding *low* conversations. It's a bit ridiculous to have to go to such lengths when, realistically, the mechanic of "stealth" is simply an in-game representation of ACTING STEALTHY, which someone can do through emotes. Why assume there are cracks in the roof in the first place? Why assume the door isn't soundproofed? Does the player -ask- this in advance? Maybe the door is an eight-inch steel thing put up last week for your military guild, and that rogue legitly -can't- hear what's going on. Having to take the RP to party or /w breaks the immersion/RP for me hard. I'd rather just not have people stealth. Personally if seriously important information is gathered from my RP, by a stealther who could not have ICly heard it, I -will- disregard the stealther's involved RP completely.

If the relevant players are aware of the stealther and agree to it that's one thing, private RP is private RP and I don't care. I've agreed on occasion but, in general, I just think it's over the top to use a mechanic to make yourself OOCly undetectable, when ICly you might be. I'd rather someone just stand on the other side of the door and emote listening in, or emote cracking open a roof tile, unstealthed, from the roof, to listen, etc. For shadowmeld, I wouldn't really mind getting a /w of "my elf is melded nearby listening in" in a dark forest. I'd buy that personally, that's fine, I've been OOCly alerted, agreed to it, it's quite viable ICly etc.

Edit--as a reminder, you can't see emotes made by people in stealth, last I checked. So that rogue may be cheerily, properly emoting away with /e listens in! , but nobody will see it!

Last edited by Feral / Blackfall on Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Feral / Blackfall
Feral / Blackfall

Back to top Go down

Post by Seranita Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:12 pm

Feral / Blackfall wrote: I just think it's over the top to use a mechanic to make yourself OOCly undetectable, when ICly you might be.

which is why you emote with it to make your pressence known
Seranita
Seranita

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Feral / Blackfall Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:13 pm

Monrena wrote:
Feral / Blackfall wrote: I just think it's over the top to use a mechanic to make yourself OOCly undetectable, when ICly you might be.

Just remember to do it unstealthed, or whisper the person. They can't see emotes if you're in stealth and not in raid, afaik. Unless this was changed? Test it out, someone, quick!
Feral / Blackfall
Feral / Blackfall

Back to top Go down

Post by Calisar Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:14 pm

Edit--as a reminder, you can't see emotes made by people in stealth, last I checked. So that rogue may be cheerily, properly emoting away with /e listens in! , but nobody will see it!.

Going to test this out for my own curiosity, as I honestly didn't know this!

So even shadowmelded.. emotes are null?
Calisar
Calisar

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:16 pm

Calisar wrote:
Edit--as a reminder, you can't see emotes made by people in stealth, last I checked. So that rogue may be cheerily, properly emoting away with /e listens in! , but nobody will see it!.

Going to test this out for my own curiosity, as I honestly didn't know this!

So even shadowmelded.. emotes are null?
This is not true. I've seen people emote from stealth plenty of times.
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Feral / Blackfall Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:16 pm

Last I checked yeah. You have to either a. be in party, or b. be able to see the person in stealth to see their emotes. Unless it's been changed (it has been a few times over the course of WoW).
Feral / Blackfall
Feral / Blackfall

Back to top Go down

Post by Grufftoof Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:18 pm

My "/e rolls them bones". Or "/e rolls his dice" when I vanished or did some things (shifty eyes) in stealth used to show up... and annoy people. But I think we were in Party. So dunno about out of party etc for sure. Though I thought my "/e dips a hand in %t's pocket" worked.... Sad maybe it never did.
Grufftoof
Grufftoof

Back to top Go down

Post by Seranita Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:25 pm

Feral / Blackfall wrote:
Monrena wrote:

Just remember to do it unstealthed, or whisper the person. They can't see emotes if you're in stealth and not in raid, afaik. Unless this was changed? Test it out, someone, quick!

this i did not know Im too buisy right now to try but am ewilling to try later add shentin to your friends list
Seranita
Seranita

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Feral / Blackfall Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:36 pm

Just tested it myself Smile Can't see a stealthy's emotes when they are stealthed. Unless they are in party or can be seen!

Hopefully helps some people Smile
Feral / Blackfall
Feral / Blackfall

Back to top Go down

Post by Seranita Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:39 pm

ahhh alright
point noted..
*macro's emote to shadowmeld*
Seranita
Seranita

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:39 pm

...Weird. Oh well, good to know.
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vaell Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:28 pm

Shadowmeld is complete invisibility. I think it is safe to say if one of the most powerful demons (Archimonde) couldn't see Tyrande from 20ft away when she Shadowmelds then we know two things:

1. Shadowmeld is not common knowledge, probably a trait Night Elves keep secret.
2. It is completely invisible.
Vaell
Vaell

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sorayah Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:50 pm

Monrena wrote:indeed from vanilla to cata nelfs were fully mortal anf vulnerable
Wait.. Did I miss something? Did night elves regain their immortality?
Sorayah
Sorayah

Character sheet
Name: Sorayah Moonseeker
Title: Priestess of the Moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Seranita Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:15 pm

no idea did cata with the re discovery of mnt hyjal or however you spell it give it to them back or no?
Seranita
Seranita

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Cid Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:44 pm

Nope
Cid
Cid

Character sheet
Name: Cid Blackforge
Title: Captain of the Guard

Back to top Go down

Post by Dréfurion Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:46 pm

Nope, Night Elves are for ever more mortal QQ

Dréfurion

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Seranita Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:48 pm

ahh ok then does that not mean that they are still voulnerable to dissease? or did I miss out on some importent bit of lore somewhere?
Seranita
Seranita

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next