Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is Roleplaying™ / 101 Roleplaying™ Rules

+11
Nessra Sunwhisper
Azmariel
Vaell
Ixirar
Lexgrad
Thelos
Rmuffn
Skaraa
Eodan
Grim
The Z
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What is Roleplaying™ / 101 Roleplaying™ Rules - Page 2 Empty Re: What is Roleplaying™ / 101 Roleplaying™ Rules

Post by Rmuffn Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:47 am

erwtenpeller wrote:I don't like players with an unrealistic fear of "meta-gaming."

The way I see it, we're all in this to tell, or write, one big collaborative story with each other. Sometimes you want big, epic things to happen in this story, that will possibly change a character forever. There is no foul in discussing these events beforehand, or even deciding on an outcome that will suit the character development of everyone involved best. In fact, I encourage it. It prevents a whole lot of OOC drama from happening.

Also:
Grim wrote:One of the biggest 'RP sins' in my opinion is a petty one. I bloody detest it when people emote things like: *thinks you are an idiot* or *doesn't think you are very nice*
This.

Meta-gaming is more commonly used for when someone not part of your already discussed OOC developement barges into your RP and acts purely on what the player attained OOCly, rather than the character.

People discussing beforehand has been done since the dawn of time, that's how events come to be, and there's nothing wrong with it.

Real meta-gaming is wrong though. Why should people go through so much roleplay, to have one prick not take note to that and abuse ooc knowledge to mess carefully planned RP? Razz
Rmuffn
Rmuffn

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

What is Roleplaying™ / 101 Roleplaying™ Rules - Page 2 Empty Re: What is Roleplaying™ / 101 Roleplaying™ Rules

Post by erwtenpeller Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:54 am

I've seen some people refer to discussing events beforehand as "meta-gaming" though. That's what I tried to address by referring to people that have an "unrealistic fear" of it. Perhaps my wording wasn't entirely clear, but I do think we're in agreement over this particular issue. Very Happy
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Emrys Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:08 am

Nessra/Veleisa wrote:
Skaraa wrote:
--or a magical ward which prevents outsiders from overhearing conversations.[/i]

I've heard people whine about these. Someone overhears a conversation and then later on gets accused of using the information because "We were in a magically shielded room, you couldn't have heard anything?!111". Best fix to this is to have the conversation in party, raid or whisper, instead of assuming other roleplayers are mind readers and know about your magical shields.

All of this without naming any names:

I have seen this happen also. In the OOC discussion that followed said person also claimed to have several voidwalkers patrolling around his residence and a succubus scouting the sky above.

And if I take that point, what I dislike is very long-winded OOC discussions about something that happened IC. I have sinned myself once, although in my defence, I tried to keep it very short and just wished to point something out and did not expect the person to get as upset/stuck up about it as they did. I regretted trying this immensely and alongside with people tearing out my hair for gently tryin to point out that their character concept may not be such a good idea... I decided to let them herpderp around as much as they like.

A discussion like that did once make me miss out on half of the event I was attending, and that did annoy me. Either way it is tiresome and I am inclined to just blatantly ignore such situations should they arrise in the future, haters gonna hate and all that jazz. Very Happy
Emrys
Emrys

Character sheet
Name: Emrys Sunwing
Title: Priestess

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2