Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Magnificent Manual of Mastering Mysticism: A Guide to Magic

+36
Izzifix
Sanara
Zaraj
Eldiros
Lexgrad
Allonia_Miral
Paia/Jenit
Jeanpierre
Tuomas/Decurius
Ixirar
Thelos
Melnerag
Buren
Isils
Littlepip
itsy
Exigua
Aweng
Shriukan
Larnira
Grufftoof
Feydor
Sorayah
John Helsythe Amaltheria
Shaelyssa
Sohan
Aadaria-Ioanna
Dréfurion
Aladras
Krogon Devilstep
Vaell
siegmund
Sylphi
erwtenpeller
Skarain
Drustai
40 posters

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

The Magnificent Manual of Mastering Mysticism: A Guide to Magic - Page 7 Empty Re: The Magnificent Manual of Mastering Mysticism: A Guide to Magic

Post by Skarain Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:39 am

Tnecniw wrote:Does a simple light healing spell remove a curse made by shadow magic? or is it required to be focused on cleansing to actually remove it?

Depends on the strength of the curse. Light is certainly capable of cleansing various curses, but there is "Curse of Darkness" style things that reduce the effectiveness of Healing Spells, and may cause even negative effects/more damage based on healing. Such curses require a focused cleansing spell, or "Rule of Cool", if you want to go on a longer adventure to find a cure for the curse.

So i'd say: A simple light healing spell may remove an equally simple shadow magic curse, but there are many "strong" curses that may require a more focused Lighty Cleansing effort, if not the aid of a Warlock/Mage/specialized Curse Breaker. Whatever the plot demands.
Skarain
Skarain

Character sheet
Name: Skarain Feirand
Title: Mother of the Flame

Back to top Go down

The Magnificent Manual of Mastering Mysticism: A Guide to Magic - Page 7 Empty Re: The Magnificent Manual of Mastering Mysticism: A Guide to Magic

Post by siegmund Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:06 am

erwtenpeller wrote:Judge for yourself:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

You should have if already linked game mechanics linked all of the relevant ones.

Skarain explained it neatly though anyway so not much more to say!
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:54 am

It is my personal belief that the effectiveness of any attempts to heal or Cleanse by the Holy Light depends on the conviction and faith of both the caster and the one being cleansed. The more pious the caster and afflicted are, the more effective the healing will be.
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:59 am

I subscribe to that ideal.
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaryl Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:58 pm

I believe that the effectiveness of healing is dependent on whether it helps of disrupt the story/RP.

Amaryl

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:08 pm

Amaryl wrote:I believe that the effectiveness of healing is dependent on whether it helps of disrupt the story/RP.

Mostly this.
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:09 pm

Also that.
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Muzjhath Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:23 pm

On the healing issue. I am of the "Don't accept the wounding if you're not going to roleplay being wounded" But that's not here or there.
As for healing forces healing. Depends on a lot of factors and the imagination of the person treated.
Muzjhath
Muzjhath

Character sheet
Name: Muzjhath Farstride
Title: Dead Varog'Gor

Back to top Go down

Post by Littlepip Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:05 pm

Here's my personal thoughts about healing and any sort of "Faith" based magic.

I believe that faith is required in both the healer and the wounded, the healer believes that he can heal the wound with his spell or that the light can heal the wound. While the wounded has to believe that the wound can be healed and has to trust the healer or else it shouldn't work / works less efficiently.

To clear a curse of another player it should require several things both OOC and IC, first you need the permission of the cursed player, secondly you should have a description on how powerful the spell is by either the one who cursed the player or the cursed player (If he knows how powerful the curse is, which he hopefully does.)

For IC you need to set the atmosphere, candles, runes and protections so that the curse doesn't backfire while being cleansed, secondly you need to cast a powerful cleansing spell that works quickly, the spell should take some time to cast, but work quickly once you send it on the player, dispelling the curse before it can harm the player.

Imagine Blitzkrieg of the body.
Littlepip
Littlepip

Character sheet
Name: Littlepip
Title: Runemage

http://the-adventures-of-roleplay.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Ixirar Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:47 pm

I believe that faith is required in both the healer and the wounded, the healer believes that he can heal the wound with his spell or that the light can heal the wound. While the wounded has to believe that the wound can be healed and has to trust the healer or else it shouldn't work / works less efficiently.

There's nothing in the WoW Lore that supports this statement. As far as healing is concerned, the only party that needs to have faith is the healer. This is why, for example, you can heal warlocks and such, people who have no faith in the light. Another point I'd like to make on this matter: The meaning of having faith in the light. Religious faith is often interpreted to mean "the faith that X Deity exists". Even in a real life context, this doesn't cover what it means to have faith. I'll use myself as an example. When I talk about my faith, I don't mean my belief in God's existence. God's existence is not a matter of faith for me, it's a given. It's the base upon which all my faith is built. As such, God existing isn't a matter of -faith- for me, it's just how it is. Likewise, in the warcraft universe, when the Draenei speak of faith, I don't think they mean "You must believe that the light is there". Every single person in the Warcraft universe can observe and experience the light's power. It -is- there. Plain and visible. Instead of "Faith", I'd say "devotion" is a much more fitting word to describe what the term actually refers to. In order for the light to heed your call, you must be -devoted- to your cause. The faith aspect of it, from my interpretation, is your belief in your cause. That's why you see evil paladins in the Scarlet Crusade. Those people -don't- realise that what they're doing is evil. They fully believe that they're doing the light's will, and as such their mind is free of doubt. This is the faith that you need to use the light. Believe that your cause is just. The light isn't a sentient being in the same way that the elements are, for example. For this reason, the notion that the person getting healed needs faith for the heal to work is absolutely obsolete. If the healer's faith is strong, his heals will work.

For IC you need to set the atmosphere, candles, runes and protections so that the curse doesn't backfire while being cleansed, secondly you need to cast a powerful cleansing spell that works quickly, the spell should take some time to cast, but work quickly once you send it on the player, dispelling the curse before it can harm the player.

I'd also like some sources on this. The only hints I've been able to find on how dispels work are from game mechanics, namely that the respective spells are all instant cast and require no reagents. There's also nothing to suggest that there are different cleansing spells with different power levels. To my understanding, the cleansing spell is the same no matter which paladin is casting it, the only difference is how powerful the paladin is. There's also the purpose of reagents in spell casting: There's nothing to suggest that you need reagents to, as you put it, "make sure that the curse doesn't backfire." The purpose of reagents, as far as I've been able to discern from the game, is to serve as a spell focus. For example in the case of class buffs in vanilla, TBC and WLK, you could either cast the buff on every individual player, or you could use your reagents as a spell focus to enhance the spell to grant all your group the benefits of your buff.
Ixirar
Ixirar

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaryl Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:47 pm

Or if you can't be arsed "/e cleanse %T with the uber power of the holy light"

Amaryl

Back to top Go down

Post by Vaell Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:13 pm

I have my mage, Vaell, believe that the light is actually just another more mysterious force of magic and there's nothing divine about it.

Faith is believing in something's dvinity and putting your trust in it. A Paladin trusts the light to be there when he needs it. It's built on hope, trust and a belief in a just cause. whereas a Mage's magic is built upon learning, knowledge and training.

Like Amaryl said, it depends on the situation. Healing does have the capability to save someone from a ridiculously brutal death - but that's not necessarily the coolest or most exciting way to tell a story.
Vaell
Vaell

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:56 pm

omg Vaell I am in love with that reply.
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Tnecniw Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:05 am

my character cursed another one (he was okay with it) with nightmares. (as a small revenge) the curse itself was a quite powerful one. But he then the next day said it didn't count anymore since he was healed when he was hurt. so the curse was also removed (though not specified on)

I don't know what to belive with it

Tnecniw

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:46 am

Guess he just did't want to play a cursed person.
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by siegmund Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:05 pm

Probably he got bored with it fast, didn't have enough motiation or inspiration to RP someone who had nightmares last night.

Though overall cleaning a curse would be surely a bit diffrent then healing a wound least in my opinion.

Tough luck.
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by siegmund Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:23 pm

siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:28 pm

Context?
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Swan Emperor Arenfel Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:49 pm

erwtenpeller wrote:Context?

Sounds like entropic fire. The green fire warlocks use? The wording is similar but yeah, some context would be nice.
Swan Emperor Arenfel
Swan Emperor Arenfel

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:59 pm

That quote is specifically in reference to fel, yes. It is followed up by a later clarification: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The contextual conversation for that is proving impossible for me to find though. I really hate twitter. Why is this a thing? It's got to be the most user-unfriendly social media ever.

But anyway, those tweets are basically saying, "Demons are not the source of fel, fel comes from destroying something else."

AKA, Sacrificial Magic, as so named by the Doomguards in the Green Fire quest line.

And yes, that quote among some other various new lore snippets around necessitate some rewriting of sections of this. Which I'll do when I can be assed to get around to it.

Last edited by Drustai on Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet
Name: Archmage Drustai
Title: The Necromancer

Back to top Go down

Post by siegmund Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:04 pm

Yes the question was if demons are the source of fel.

Also forgot to link this newer one as well

Regarding fel and necromancy.
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:10 pm

... and that one I hadn't seen. Thanks.
Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet
Name: Archmage Drustai
Title: The Necromancer

Back to top Go down

Post by Swan Emperor Arenfel Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:50 pm

siegmund wrote:Yes the question was if demons are the source of fel.

Also forgot to link this newer one as well

Regarding fel and necromancy.

Why was this ever up for debate?

@Drustai: Aye. The man asking the question only has three tweets on his profile so I presume they're old, deleted, and the historian dude is only getting around to them now?

I like how he's got a Timewalkers tabard. God I wish we could get those.
Swan Emperor Arenfel
Swan Emperor Arenfel

Back to top Go down

Post by Littlepip Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:13 am

(( Yay for necro posting an old post. But to be honest this thing is to important to not be up top.
This could be me asking silly question again tho, if so just facepalm and ignore it.))

Silly Questions 1:

Silly Questions 2:
Littlepip
Littlepip

Character sheet
Name: Littlepip
Title: Runemage

http://the-adventures-of-roleplay.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by siegmund Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:48 am

For your first question the point is that there is a lot of theorycrafting and bit personal thoughts in bits here as well as that's it's a guide you don't have to take everything that serious. You can go circles around if you want to discuss how physics works in WoW in relation to magic it somehow does but more magical thinking would be that it's full on all magic.

For the second question just as well. Plus "soul" of a table surely isn't ment in literal sense as say a humans soul, but more ment as it later gives other examples using various words -> "spiritual essence, its cosmic plan, its internal configuration"

DISCLAIMER: The following is not intended to tell you how to RP. It merely offers suggestions and advice to aid in your roleplaying. If you disagree with something stated herein, do not feel like you are forced to follow it. Use what fits, discard what doesn’t.

Additional Disclaimer: New lore has disproven some of the theory-crafting present in this, and I hope to eventually get around to updating those sections. Keep this in mind when reading.

Of course not all of the guide is theorycrafting, but for the part you're asking about it's prety much I belive.
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next