Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Book] A short and informal guide to Fel magic, Warlock Demons, and fighting them.

3 posters

Go down

[Book] A short and informal guide to Fel magic, Warlock Demons, and fighting them. Empty [Book] A short and informal guide to Fel magic, Warlock Demons, and fighting them.

Post by Skaraa Tue May 01, 2012 2:31 pm

Fel magic is a form of tainted and inherently corrupting Arcane magic. It is not entirely known whether the Burning Legion created or discovered Fel magic, but it is no secret that the Legion would not be what it is today without it. Blood Elves, Orcs, Eredar, Mo’arg, and Fel Stalkers – what all these species have in common is Fel magic corruption, in varying doses and from varying sources.

At the most basic level, Fel magic can be produced by the consumption of demon blood. Upon this consumption, the next Arcane spell cast within twenty-four hours will be a Fel magic spell. Demon Blood, itself, is highly addictive – the withdrawal symptoms have been described as an agonising pain in the chest and lower abdominal region, sometimes also in the head. Withdrawal symptoms can also include shortness of breath and, on occasion, respiratory depression resulting in death if left untreated. If this were not reason enough to cause addiction to Fel magic, the experience of casting a Fel magic spell is extremely euphoric – far more so than any natural narcotic substance. It is for this reason that Warlocks become almost entirely dependent on use of Fel magic, and highly addicted to demon blood consumption. A Fel magic user, even one with little exposure, is a being that thrives on destruction – much like the demons they employ.

The chief danger to all Arcane users is longing for power. Fel magic is, without doubt, the pinnacle of Arcane power and mastery, it is normally for this reason that Arcane users first indulge themselves in use of Fel magic. Fel magic itself corrupts the body and soul of the caster – leading to the Man’ari Eredar, as a primary example – their current form was not caused by a one off event but by severe and long-term exposure to Fel magic. Short-term exposure can be cured and rarely causes any adverse effects other than that of the withdrawal symptoms.

As a minor note; some of you may have had encounters with the so-called Fel Fire. Entropic Fire, the correct terminology, is a green-yellow flame which burns like normal fire but also attacks the very life force of both the target and its caster. It is a combination of both Fire and Fel magic, difficult to cast and even more difficult to fully control.
Finally, I wish to clear up a popular misconception. Shadow magic and Fel magic are not the same thing. Shadow magic is not inherently evil nor is it, technically, related to Fel magic in any way – other than the fact that many Fel magic users also tend to use Shadow magic. This is the only correlation between the two, many cultures use Shadow magic without demonic worship or use of Fel magic. A Troll Shadow Priest is a prime example.

The following is a brief rundown on common Warlock minions and how to combat them.

The common Imp is a demonic creature, which Scholarly work suggests may be a corrupted version of the Fey creature known as a Grell. Imps are often granted by the Burning Legion to warlocks as a familiar and are capable of storing tremendous amounts of Fel energy within their bodies. As such, they are capable spell casters. The most obvious weakness of the common Imp is its small frame and build, I have even seen a Draenei Paladin crush one under his hoof. As such, they make every attempt to stay at range, and when not in combat are capable of phasing out entirely from our plane – preventing detection and avoiding attacks. This ability to phase out also makes them ideal scouts and messengers, because they are capable of bypassing traditional defences and can only be detected by magical means.

Voidwalkers are a type of elemental shadow, created in the chaos of the Twisting Nether - ironically they have no legs, and therefore cannot walk. The typical Voidwalker is a melee combatant and serves as a distraction for the Warlock’s adversaries; they are strong and capable of taking many hits before finally being put down. The most effective way to combat a Voidwalker is to banish it back to the Void this, however, requires a skilled magic user. Voidwalkers, perhaps due to being made of pure shadow, are notoriously difficult to hide from and are occasionally used as checkpoint guards for this reason.

The Sayaad can be broken into two distinct sub-groups, very similar to the genders of a normal species. The Succubi (Female) and Incubi (Male) – both are masters of seduction and are used to obtain information or otherwise take advantage of sexual desire. They also serve as the Burning Legions interrogators. The more common Succubi appear as stunningly beautiful women and are capable of ensnaring either gender with but a glance, they also have the ability to turn invisible and strike before being noticed. They are extremely agile in open combat and tend to attempt to flank their opponent. One of their most well-known weaknesses is, not to mention a fragile frame, their not uncommon tendency of falling in love with their masters. This leads to deadly jealousy and down-right recklessness when their master is attacked directly.

The Felguards are members of the Mo’arg species and are the rank-and-file troops of the Legion. They are typically only used by adept demonologists and primarily serve as armoured troops. Obviously, the most immediate threat is their size and large axes which they are capable of wielding in only one hand – however they are reckless and generally rely on allies for coordinated attacks. A single Felguard, typically what you’d encounter from an average Warlock, lacks the ability to coordinate with other Felguards and is thus easy to outwit and outmaneuver. Needless to say, its lack of chest plate makes that region the most favorable target in a fight.

The Felhunter is a trained Fel Stalker – a tainted species which were originally no doubt found on conquered Legion worlds. Once trained by an Annihilan, they have a golden band placed around one of their horns to indicate their completion of training and status as a Hunter. They are capable of absorbing magical energy and generally look at a mage like a Human might look at a delicious chocolate cake – only with flesh on the outside and Mana on the inside. Felhunters are so well trained that they ignore melee fighters entirely in combat and focus solely on spell casters – an obvious weakness. However, it is to be noted that they are incredibly intelligent, despite their dog-like appearance. Simply not using magic is not enough to avoid a Felhunter, they have an innate ability to sense the magical aura given off by a spell caster and as such make perfect Mage-Hunters.

This concludes the most common demons employed by Warlocks, there are however rarer minions which should be mentioned.

The Infernals are constructs brought to life and empowered by Fel magic. They are crafted in great magical laboratories and workshops by the Tothrezim – a species closely related to the Nathrezim. They typically use Fel-empowered melee attacks to crush their foes, they also have an aura of Entropic Fire which can be deadly to melee opponents. They are typically resistant to both Fire and Fel attacks, making them a dangerous adversary even for a Warlock.

Doomguards are members of the Ered’ruin species, which may or may not be an extremely twisted and corrupted form of the Eredar. They are significantly weaker than the more powerful Doomlord, but are easily the most powerful demon a Warlock can summon. They are capable spell casters and can fly. They typically will target the enemy they consider to be the most troublesome, which is often an Arcane user, and will use a mix of Shadow, Fel, and Entropic Fire spells to down their opponents as quickly as possible. Within the Legion they serve as captains and generals – as such, I do not feel the need to stress how very dangerous an opponent they are.
Skaraa
Skaraa

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

[Book] A short and informal guide to Fel magic, Warlock Demons, and fighting them. Empty Re: [Book] A short and informal guide to Fel magic, Warlock Demons, and fighting them.

Post by Skarain Tue May 01, 2012 4:09 pm

*I am Skarain, and i approve this book!*

Also i like your name. It reminds me of something...that i just can't grasp at the moment. It sounds familiar...
Skarain
Skarain

Character sheet
Name: Skarain Feirand
Title: Mother of the Flame

Back to top Go down

[Book] A short and informal guide to Fel magic, Warlock Demons, and fighting them. Empty Re: [Book] A short and informal guide to Fel magic, Warlock Demons, and fighting them.

Post by Magaskawee/Anaei Tue May 01, 2012 4:21 pm

Skarain wrote:*I am Skarain, and i approve this book!*

Also i like your name. It reminds me of something...that i just can't grasp at the moment. It sounds familiar...

The cult of Skaraa from Doctor Wh- You mean your own name.. Nevermind.. D:
Magaskawee/Anaei
Magaskawee/Anaei

Character sheet
Name: Magaskawee Grimtotem
Title: Elder Crone of the Banner of the Bloodhoof

Back to top Go down

Post by Skaraa Tue May 01, 2012 4:25 pm

Skarain wrote:*I am Skarain, and i approve this book!*

Lol, yeah. Well...I have had this name since I made my first character (Draenei Mage) 3-4 years ago. Sooo...I -promise- I did not steal it. Wink
Skaraa
Skaraa

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down