Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Racial Stereotypes - What's up with that?

+26
Kristeas Sunbinder
Jeanpierre
Emrys
Xen-tau
Drustai
Eowale
Lexgrad
Coppersocket
Yarnaat
Sullee Swiftspeech
Magnir
The Z
Lavian
Ledgic
Vaell
Kettin
Morinth
Frostfeather
Swan Emperor Arenfel
Demurral
Seranita
erwtenpeller
Cid
Melnerag
Lorainne/Bridlington
Magaskawee/Anaei
30 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Racial Stereotypes - What's up with that? Empty Racial Stereotypes - What's up with that?

Post by Magaskawee/Anaei Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:02 am

Just wanted to gather people's view on this topic. Basically I started a Night Elf who lives in the Eastern Kingdoms, and has decided to join a crew of privateers. I've received a -shocking- amount of IC and OOC criticism for such a 'retarded character concept'. However I don't see how it is, we have Night Elves fighting under the Argent Crusade, helping in the plaguelands, hell the Park before its untimely end was essentially a giant embassy to the Night Elves.

I was just curious to gather other people's experience of this, or perhaps you agree? The Night elves have been exposed to the rest of the world for 11 years give or take, and many other races face similar stereotypes.. Anyone ever had to deal with such?
Magaskawee/Anaei
Magaskawee/Anaei

Character sheet
Name: Magaskawee Grimtotem
Title: Elder Crone of the Banner of the Bloodhoof

Back to top Go down

Racial Stereotypes - What's up with that? Empty Re: Racial Stereotypes - What's up with that?

Post by Lorainne/Bridlington Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:10 am

Stereotypes make the world go 'round! \o/
Lorainne/Bridlington
Lorainne/Bridlington

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Racial Stereotypes - What's up with that? Empty Re: Racial Stereotypes - What's up with that?

Post by Melnerag Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:14 am

I once got hell for my dwarf not having an incomprehensibly thick dwarven accent Sad

But heck, I even RPed an evil druid obsessed with getting closer to the feral side in service of Zaraj and nobody gave me trouble over -that-!
Melnerag
Melnerag

Back to top Go down

Post by Cid Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:02 am

Melnerag wrote:I once got hell for my dwarf not having an incomprehensibly thick dwarven accent Sad

The heck ye talkin' 'boot, eh? We dinnae 'ave thick accents, ye twit! This be bloody common tongue!
Cid
Cid

Character sheet
Name: Cid Blackforge
Title: Captain of the Guard

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:26 am

All I do is play weird-ass characters.

I've found that if you can give those people that give you shit a couple of lines on your characters history and/or motivation for being what they are, they'll back off.

And if they don't, then fuck em. Play what you enjoy. *nods*
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Seranita Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:28 am

indeed i have had a couple of situations like this myself Like for example chareshia (back when she was alive) had quite a thick trollish accent.. Most people at first hated that saying you part troll or something humans dont mate with trolls etc so the line or two on history does help.. I even made a macro for it once
Seranita
Seranita

Character sheet
Name: Monrena
Title: Trainee Vindicator/engeneer

Back to top Go down

Post by Demurral Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:34 am

ahh... poor charashia.... I do miss her.

On Topic - I find this mostly IC, but usually its due to the Cartel.. or quinian. I remember having him following ol' Domovoi around calling him blackie. The only real case of ooc drama of an IC concept was probably due to Greyclaw, my druid, and that was because I made her follow a stricter, more disciplined version of druidism that used alot of tradition or age-old rituals for certain things. It certainly makes her an amazing character to rp on, though Smile
Demurral
Demurral

Character sheet
Name: Greyclaw
Title: Witch of the Wilds

Back to top Go down

Post by Magaskawee/Anaei Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:40 am

I guess i'll have to plough through it, it was an experience I had while rping, where a person, in character doubted my character could exist.. I realize it was an IC statement, but it was a thinly veiled cover for what she wanted to say Out of character.
Magaskawee/Anaei
Magaskawee/Anaei

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Seranita Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:57 am

yeah i think many people miss her.. I do regret killing her off sometimes
Seranita
Seranita

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Demurral Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:19 am

Mon! To the PM-Machine! We can hatch ideas Very Happy
Demurral
Demurral

Character sheet
Name: Greyclaw
Title: Witch of the Wilds

Back to top Go down

Post by Swan Emperor Arenfel Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:25 am

Witnessing your character last night, I found nothing directly shocking or "retarded" about her. My theory is that most players on defias come across a terribly high amount of poor roleplay, and almost often-than-not it is embodied in the form of a female Night Elf. Hence, when they see somebody playing the aformentioned race/gender combination, warning bells go off in their mind.

Just politely explain to them that racial stereotypes are - indeed - stereotypes, and that individuals from a race can quite easily deviate from those. It's likely that Queenie (if we are thinking of the same character) has distanced herself from Kaldorei society, as a result of her career path not fitting in with the sociological norm of Night Elven culture.

While this may be more related to "game mechanics," there are quite a few examples of NPCS breaking the mould.
Like this Elf.
Or this Troll.
Or this Elf.
Perhaps these examples are poor and there are better ones available, but off the top of my head they are all I could summon up.
Swan Emperor Arenfel
Swan Emperor Arenfel

Back to top Go down

Post by Frostfeather Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:52 am

I wish more would create characters based on the lore rather than create characters and then try to find proof they could exist in the lore...

By deviating from the norm you are always in danger of being viewed as a Mary Sue.

Not saying that there is any problem with your character Anaei, it could very well be a well thought out character for all I know (and I have a feeling it is). Most characters that "are a bit special" or "unusual for a X" are not IMHO. So I guess you are kind of starting on the negative scale and have to climb up.

Go go go!
Frostfeather
Frostfeather

Character sheet
Name: Khalida Frostfeather
Title: Sentinel

Back to top Go down

Post by Morinth Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:52 am

Suck it up darling! Very Happy I got exactly the same (and still get it) 'cause my blood elf is a pirate god of some sort. "BLOOD ELVES SHOULDN'T DO THAT BLAHBLAHBLAH". I don't give a fuck. If they want to RP their characters with no diversity, let them. They may be elves, but they're quite capable of making their own choices and having their own minds and personalities. It's not just humans who can be badasses. They're so racist.

My bitch is still quite capable of being a superior cow to everyone. She just prefers not to, it's so much hassle only relying on other elves. Especially when they're all holed up in Sillyspoon braiding each others hair.
Morinth
Morinth

Character sheet
Name: Captain Morinth
Title: Queen of the Pirates! (self-proclaimed!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kettin Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:01 pm

*Flumiwick walks in and gives every one free gold* As mori said you play the char you want, humans can be all sorts the same should go for all.
Kettin
Kettin

Character sheet
Name: Kettin Bilewood
Title: High Executor - Forsaken Military

Back to top Go down

Post by Vaell Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:19 pm

As long as you don't change anything actually physical about them, their mentality can be what you like.

I was planning on making a wannabe demon hunter human, people said "Impossible" - yes, BEING one would be, wanting to be one. Nope.

EDIT: What I mean by this is, although Night Elf culture is quite personal and they don't tend to mix with other races excessively; you can be whatever you like. You could be a Night Elf who believes it is the Lich King and lives on a 10x10ft ice slate off the coast of Northrend, calling it Icecrown - if you really want.
Vaell
Vaell

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ledgic Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:21 pm

Don't fret over it Ana.

The character concept may not fit into what most people consider to be the established norm, but those that know you, know that you don't make lolworthy characters. The issue is, of course, is that we do have a high volume of ridiculous characters that just shouldn't exist.

It's probably why you were jumped on, since I imagine the presumption was that you were playing a daft character. Do as you want to do, as long as you're happy with it and it makes enough sense to actually exist, who cares?
Ledgic
Ledgic

Character sheet
Name: Ledgic Kaden Caan
Title: Leader of The Old Town Syndicate

Back to top Go down

Post by Magaskawee/Anaei Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:22 pm

Ledgic Caan wrote:Don't fret over it Ana.

The character concept may not fit into what most people consider to be the established norm, but those that know you, know that you don't make lolworthy characters. The issue is, of course, is that we do have a high volume of ridiculous characters that just shouldn't exist.

It's probably why you were jumped on, since I imagine the presumption was that you were playing a daft character. Do as you want to do, as long as you're happy with it and it makes enough sense to actually exist, who cares?

Oh Ledgic.. I dunno if it's Matt Smith's warm eyes.. Or your soothing words.. But I feel much better..

Just hold me.. Like you did on Naboo.. Before this war.. Before the fighting..

/cough.
Magaskawee/Anaei
Magaskawee/Anaei

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:26 pm

Vaell wrote:You could be a Night Elf who believes it is the Lich King and lives on a 10x10ft ice slate off the coast of Northrend, calling it Icecrown - if you really want.
DIBS
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Melnerag Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:30 pm

Every society has a class of outcasts, people living on the marge of society. They can be poor, they can be born to the wrong family, they can be orphans abandoned, they can be cast out because they have red hair and freckles or because their parents were Traitors. Such outcasts do not have strong ties to the society and its norms, so would they NOT break the stereotypes?

Why can't a kal'dorei who feels abandoned by Elune seek comfort with the Holy Light or a human disillusioned with civilization itself strive for closeness with nature and a path of druidy?

I think what is important to remember is that a Kal'dorei pirate will be different from a human pirate, realizing this difference and roleplaying it out is what makes all the difference between 'Proper RP' and 'Lolling'.
*Stays on the high horse*
Melnerag
Melnerag

Back to top Go down

Post by Magaskawee/Anaei Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:35 pm

Privateer*.. Private.. Eer..

And yes, I fully realize this. It's gonna be a challenge but one I welcome openly as a new rp chapter in my life! And if it doesn't work out i'll use my sexy Elven charm on Sophyra.. ;D
Magaskawee/Anaei
Magaskawee/Anaei

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Melnerag Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:36 pm

Hey, you can try that charm even it things DO work out! *wink*
Melnerag
Melnerag

Back to top Go down

Post by Lavian Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:44 pm

Yeah don't fret over such Anaei as Ledgic says.

The problem with some roleplayers out there is that their view on the lore is law. If you don't fit within that "law" of what a character SHOULD be in their eyes its all "fucking loler". Sure the whole love child of illidan and arthas can be regarded too far but when it comes to the concept of a mentality(God forbid sentient beings get curious and think for themselves as an individual on their paths in life) it's all fine. Heck it was ok for Illidan to do the shit he did cause it was Blizzard's law and foundation lore but try even a less dramatic version of the same shit and there will be some twat who views it as lorelol and in their head the concept of their "law of roleplay".

I don't know where I am going with this and it was probably a bad example but too long didn't read; Fuck entitled thisismylaw roleplayers.

The mentality of some exotic sentient race wants to travel and do something out of culture norms? Oh god the horror. End of the world here guys.
Lavian
Lavian

Character sheet
Name: Lavian
Title: Dread Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Morinth Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:51 pm

I had a night elf rogue back when I first started out, played her as a bit of a trouble maker. Looking back, I see there was nothing wrong with it and I was well within my rights to RP her as she was. Unfortunately, I let other people make my decisions and listened to them when they said it was not allowed. >.> I'd love to RP her again.
Morinth
Morinth

Character sheet
Name: Captain Morinth
Title: Queen of the Pirates! (self-proclaimed!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Seranita Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:58 pm

indeed I had thelania as well a draenei shaman.. she got kidnaped tortured and enslaved into a cultist organisation as a mindless assasin.. people didnt like it eather..

even once i explaind that.. they still didnt like

"bur draenei would rarther kill themselves than be enslaved"

yeah she was mentaly and emotionaly distroyed whiped and efectivly droaned up lol some people didnt like it.. thow thelania is now free.. she is in hiding due to the crimes she commited
Seranita
Seranita

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kettin Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:10 pm

Squids can't live on land! *Throws Monrena into the sea*
Kettin
Kettin

Character sheet
Name: Kettin Bilewood
Title: High Executor - Forsaken Military

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next