Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Men of The North

+10
Vaell
Dréfurion
Lorainne/Bridlington
Bradley
Valtor
Feydor
Lexgrad
Krogon Devilstep
Rmuffn
Gesh
14 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The Men of The North Empty The Men of The North

Post by Gesh Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:42 pm

The Men of The North.

So, as you may have notice Human in The World of Warcraft are both diverse and considered one of most popular races, from both a player's choice and what we know from lore. They are everywhere and have been near enough everywhere. So I've had this idea playing around in my head for a while now, ever since I heard about the Vrykul being the Human's ancestral link to the Titan's and Northrend its self.

Would it be possible: Feel free to critique this, that a small human population survived and considered Northrend their home? In essence, could there have been humans amidst the wilds of Northrend, liveing isolated from their brothers and sisters in the Eastern Kingdom and Tanaris? Nomadic in nature, akin to what we know as Historical norse. Worshipping the seasons, or perhaps animal gods? Or Human figured deities?

My proposal is, that this ' Clan ' of humans was discovered during the Alliance's second expedition to Northrend, they were offered a place within the Alliance: Although if this were to go a head the population would be no bigger then say, a hundred Northerners?, and inturn granted refugee within Stormwind.

These -aliens- would then spend the next few years trying to come to terms with their lossed homeland, the cultural and emotional conflicts with the native Stormwind folk, and even technological advances, learning about ' The Light ' and how their heretical gods had no place within their new ' home. '.

The Men of The North Tumblr_le7deaGj2f1qbohx5o1_500

This project would -not- be a guild, but a social circle of characters who grew up together, a midst a small village or rather collection of villages, tucked away amidst the hazardous and freezing mountains of Northrend. Meeting regularly with each other and trying to survive in a modern world that is struggling to understand what exactly they are.

Other possibilities:

A completely new language and social set of rules, A Northerner may not see the issue in smashing a flask of ale he has just finished and heavily enjoyed, possibly even offended on the shock it evokes in the Recluse's matron.

A set of gods and lesser deities that come with a set of rituals and prayers, The young Priestess of The Great Raven, is arrested by Chapterians for offering a blessing to a child, the blessing being a blood symbol drawn onto the Child's forehead. Her trial results in Northern folk rioting a midst the streets of Stormwind.

Bloodlines, legacies and connections. The Northern folk had to stick together, it was a matter of survival and breeding was often essential, rather then a joy to be celebrated. Because of this it is rare to find two northerners who are not related either by marriage rites or blood.

Names and legacies:

Bloodbeard, Blackheart, Winterborn, Ravenfeather, Huntersworn, Bladeoath, Ironjaw, Forestrun, Hearthcall, Giantslayer, Giantsblood, Northblood, Iceblood.

Last edited by Vec on Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gesh
Gesh

Back to top Go down

The Men of The North Empty Re: The Men of The North

Post by Rmuffn Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:51 pm

You aren't familiar with Kingdom of Stromgarde, I take it?

Whereas we're not located on NR, or see it as significance, we still mirror many of the suggestions about worship and so on so forth, and being partly known as men of the north, sadly only north of stormwind - aka Arathi, the Crib of Humanity.

Also, I might be very wrong, maybe some lore-fan know, I've been told it to be true, and read some (outdated?) lore in years past. That there were humans not directly a part of the Alliance or so, nor Vrykul in Northrend. I think those hunters in Grizzly are related to them. BUT THAT is just a guess, I have no clue, it's what I heard?

Oh and I love the vrykul myself and if they were playable I'd have jumped at it right away, but I will never roll a human to RP one. Which is why our fan-made server-lore Arathor/Stromgarde is of much pleasure to me. (Albeit on hiatus atm.)

Anyway, good luck if you intend to do it! Smile
Rmuffn
Rmuffn

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Krogon Devilstep Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:54 pm

My undead, Yorold, could be considered very much linked to such an idea... He's GM and jarl/captain of <The Kraken>

http://www.defiasrp.com/t4494-h-the-kraken

However, i dont believe Faralan understood what Vec(toria) meant. KoS want to get back to their roots, Vec speaks of a group that never left them.
Krogon Devilstep
Krogon Devilstep

Character sheet
Name: Krogon Devilstep
Title: Blademaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:59 pm

I like the idea, expect alot of crap for going off piste tho. Mind you, a chance to RP an axe wielding, man slaying, tattoo'd, dispoiler of women is v tempting.
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Gesh Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:05 pm

I'm aware of KoS, yes but I believe were after two different things here. As Krogon put it these are a people stuck in their ways, who haven't known anything else. Their Chaotic, and only lawful under what believes -they- know. They aren't just non-believers in The Light, they are -ignorant- to it. They don't understand it.

Take for example, a Northern trial would go something like this.

A thief is caught, stealing a heirloom from a rival family.

The Elder decrees that each family must select a warrior, and those chosen warriors will duel. The winner then has the choice to lawfully execute the loser, and by right of strength is -given- the heirloom. Regardless if the thief tried to steal it in the first place. Honor isn't just something they would follow, it's who they are.
Gesh
Gesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:19 pm

If they need to leave NR then perhaps it will help Arathorian RP. New blood and new RP oppetunity.

Ulfrid winterabyrd the blond will be rolled. (thats winterborn in old english. I love the saxons and they are kinda norse.)
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rmuffn Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:31 pm

Krogon Devilstep wrote:My undead, Yorold, could be considered very much linked to such an idea... He's GM and jarl/captain of

http://www.defiasrp.com/t4494-h-the-kraken

However, i dont believe Faralan understood what Vec(toria) meant. KoS want to get back to their roots, Vec speaks of a group that never left them.

Krogon, don't. Smile You've been away for a long time, I respect that.

Arathor never left their roots, we're the only nation who didn't adopt the Holy Light the way others did (all this server-lore mind). And we've kept to worship our Ancestors, we're not trying to get back to any roots, we simply revere our past.
Rmuffn
Rmuffn

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Gesh Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:33 pm

Regardless, Northern folk are from Northrend! Doesn't mean we can't RP with Arathorians though? I'll be posting a few tid bits of lore and history, as well as general ground ' rules ' for anyone interested in making one!
Gesh
Gesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Rmuffn Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:17 pm

Lexgrad wrote:If they need to leave NR then perhaps it will help Arathorian RP. New blood and new RP oppetunity.

Ulfrid winterabyrd the blond will be rolled. (thats winterborn in old english. I love the saxons and they are kinda norse.)

Oh please, heathen! We're the pure blood here, Saxons were wannabes, clearly.
Rmuffn
Rmuffn

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:29 pm

Quoted from Wiki.

"Among English speakers, he (Harald Hardrada) is generally remembered for his failed invasion of England in 1066. Harald's death at the Battle of Stamford Bridge which brought an end to that invasion is often recorded as the end of the Viking Age."

Saxons > Norsemen! Twisted Evil
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rmuffn Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:42 pm

Lexgrad wrote:Quoted from Wiki.

"Among English speakers, he (Harald Hardrada) is generally remembered for his failed invasion of England in 1066. Harald's death at the Battle of Stamford Bridge which brought an end to that invasion is often recorded as the end of the Viking Age."

More sense, make please.
Rmuffn
Rmuffn

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Feydor Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:50 pm

i always remember hardrada because my history teacher was australian at the time.. HAAAAAARDRAAAAAAAAAADAAAAAAAA.. she gave everyone headaches.
Feydor
Feydor

Character sheet
Name: Theodore
Title: Grand Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:54 pm

Was just pointing out it was an Anglo-Saxon who ended the Viking age (tho he got his ass kicked by a frenchman 22 days later D:)

Also ...http://www8.georgetown.edu/departments/medieval/labyrinth/library/oe/texts/a9.html

Ealdorman Byrhtnoð famous Stand <3
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:56 pm

Feydor wrote:

i always remember hardrada because my history teacher was australian at the time.. HAAAAAARDRAAAAAAAAAADAAAAAAAA.. she gave everyone headaches.

I was asked about Luggerbrugga once by an aussy. Turns out he meant Loughborough.

With that I feel we are getting off topic. (Dont make any Blood fueds with us over this Vec Evil or Very Mad )
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Valtor Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:17 pm

Lexgrad wrote:Was just pointing out it was an Anglo-Saxon who ended the Viking age (tho he got his ass kicked by a frenchman 22 days later D:)

Also ...http://www8.georgetown.edu/departments/medieval/labyrinth/library/oe/texts/a9.html

Ealdorman Byrhtnoð famous Stand <3

You mean a Norman Smile so really Norsemen still > Anglo Saxon's :p
(Sorry for going OT)
Valtor
Valtor

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradley Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:38 pm

I'd be up for this... I need a alt anyway... What should i roll though? A really pale human?
Bradley
Bradley

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rmuffn Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:10 pm

Patrick Meriwheter wrote:I'd be up for this... I need a alt anyway... What should i roll though? A really pale human?

Contrary to belief, if we follow Vrykul and such. You'd be rather fair skinned. Not pale, not tanned, between, just above the average(Western) man perhaps.
Rmuffn
Rmuffn

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Gesh Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:08 pm

Preferably the lightest to say third or fourth shade darker skin tone!, however the more important things are the mannerisms, character history, and pre-existing social ties. Also would prefer if we didn't have any Northern Death Knights, Warlocks or Paladins running around, -just- yet.

Feel free to either whisper me in-game on Annabeth or PM me on the forums!

Gesh
Gesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Gesh Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:27 pm

Worship and faith

The Men of The North 2011-11-18_00011

Northern folk are considered to be one of the few Human's who still struggle with both technology and modern philosophy. Considered to be pious to the point of zealotry, they will often guard both their opinions and ways as fact, with a set of bloodied knuckles and gritted teeth.

Many theologists a midst The Alliance and The Kirin'tor believe the Gods of the Northeners to show obvious influence from the anicents of more openly druidic cultures, although many natives would rather violently disagree. Each deitie represents a set of principles and ways, a family and legacy will often pay homage to one god, sometimes it will be believed a child is born under the blessing of one in particular often it being a omen of sorts, be that good or bad is never truly clear.

Avetta
Raven goddess of wisdom and rituals, she is depicted in many different forms, a flock of birds, birds of prey, more gentler species such as sparrows and robins, or even as a woman garmented in feathers of blacks, grays and white. She is believed to always have her eyes closed, and to craft a shrine with any figures with eyes open is considered both incredibly bad luck and foolish, followers of Avetta are the Priests, Councilors and Teachers in society. Rituals of healing, curses and alchemy are passed down from generation to generation. A shrine of Avetta is placed on the wall or ceiling, a circle of feathers often encrusted with bright flowers, leafs of jewelry.

Mol'gal
Centaur god of nature, farming and the home. Always depicted with some sort of aspect to nature, be it leafs, a crown of thorns, armor made of bark or a man growing out of a tree. Followers of Mol'gal tend to be simpler folk, those who tend to crops or look after children. He is the embodiment of man's relationship to the wilds. There are stories told of Mol'gal being the first man to wrestle and tame the land, resulting in him becoming part of it. His sacrifice is honored once a year during the time of the harvest festival. A shrine of Mol'gal is placed in the heart of the home, a collection of leaves or a ornate and en carved log.

Urric and Enrok
Twin brother gods of conquest and protection, more commonly recognized as the warrior gods, they are sometimes depicted as both female, or Enrok god of protection being male whilst Urric being the female god of conquest. They were born of the earth, as all gods and men were, it is said they were lifted up with the divines after fighting off a race of giants, claiming their land and defending it as their own. Warriors, Soldiers and Mercenaries pray to these two gods, un-like Mol'gal and Avetta who are traditionally considered gods with legacies: Families who follow given ways of life and always worship them, The twins are notorious for blessing children upon birth with great strength, height or even stomachs. A shrine to the twins is always placed above a warriors resting place, some sort of weaponry always well polished, or riddled with scars from battle, no in between.

Go'drin
Two-headed wolf god who is said to be the patron of huntsmen, criminals and wild men. Like the twins he is notorious for ' blessing ' upon birth, there are no known legacies of the beast god. Believed to be sickness that dwells in all of us and the monster beneath all children's beds he is rarely welcomed midst a family home. However, he can also be considered a protective god who values vengeance and justice, though this would be brutally declined by any follower of Avetta or Mol'gal who considered him to be only useful when a great hunt requires blessing, worship of him may bring great and terrible power, possibly even insanity. His shrine is a carved two-head wolf eating itself, always made of black wood or dark metals. Worgen are considered to be his children, and a northerner in the presence of a worgen may feel uncomfortable, possibly even terrified or angry.

Meowale

Maiden of the Night, the nocturnal creatures, the beasts who hide in the darkness and protector of human undertakings in the black hours. Meowale is also mistress of night magic and guides those who fall in the night to the (afterlife). This is not an absolute promise however, Meowale is capricious and those who offend her are left to wander the world as a shade. A shrine of Meowale is traditionally kept outside hidden away or by graves. She also wards off undeath and is notoriously hateful towards both Avetta (Jealously of her wings and wisdom) and Go'drin (Disapproves of the unholy souls he claims).

Last edited by Vec on Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
Gesh
Gesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Gesh Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:17 pm

The Afterlife

All Northerners believe that upon death a soul is embraced into the God or Goddess it has followed. Hence the importance of families and loved ones idolizing the same deity. Marriage rites will often include the lovers being blessed under one god, or one of them being blessed under the same as their lovers. Most Northerners believe each god to be equal and only the ignorant hold their own god above anyone elses, it is more the fear of not seeing your loved ones again that result in marriage in being so important, it is also why children born blessed under a different god grow up in rather complicated families. A family of craftsmen who have followed Mol'gol since the time of men, may find themselves rejecting their son who is believeably ' blessed ' by Go'drin.

The Mist
The Afterlife for followers and blessed of Avetta, a land made of shadows and fleeting smokes, each soul is granted wings and the insight of the great goddess, from there they look down upon Azeroth and protect the families they left behind. Learning everything of existence and the purpose of both death and life.

The Hearth
An endless village, filled with families and relatives all chosen by Mol'gol, surrounded by a dense and titanic forest. To live a midst The Hearth also know as ' The Great Home ', is to know true peace and tranquility as well as love and friendship.

The Eternal
A mountain atop the highest point of Stormpeaks: or so Northerners believe, here the chosen of the twins: Or one warrior god, are granted great strength, speed and agility, tournaments are held daily, drinking is done nightly and companionship is known through friendly and competitive bloodshed. Because of this a common funeral tradition amongst those chosen by the twins, is dressing the corpse in the armor they wore during their last battle, so that they may wield it in The Eternal.

The Pits
Hellish and chaotic, just like it's lord. Go'drin rules over the pits, a land encased in an endless and deafening storm. Champions of Go'drin in life are transformed into great and terrible wolves that hunt and continuously feast on the guilty and mad spirits that have been condemned there. It is believed and feared that those who fall to undeath will also be chained here to know fear and suffering for all eternity.
Gesh
Gesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorainne/Bridlington Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:02 pm

The Men of The North Chuck-norris-approved

Lorainne/Bridlington
Lorainne/Bridlington

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Gesh Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:44 pm

Og Jol

If Go'drin is the rage and wrath within all of us, Og Jol is the true depths of depravity within ones soul. He is the God of Temptation, Madness and Anguish as the only god who directly ' speaks ' with his chosen. He whispers in darkened corners, pry's open the mind and spirit of his victims and eats them from the inside out, then he lays himself within the shell and does his selfish bidding. He is known to lie, cheat and deceive mortals with both visions and dreams. Many a Chieftan has fallen to madness and brought only ruin because of it. His worship is out-lawed and heavily forbidden, to the point where a witch hunt will take place even at the mention of his name. His afterlife is rarely spoken of, but is believed to be a realm of a thousand voices, a thousand teeth gnawing at your soul and snakes that encase and choke you until the end of days. A shrine of Og Jol is a mass of rotting intestines wrapped around a human skull.
Gesh
Gesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Krogon Devilstep Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:02 pm

Bump! a very interesting read regarding the gods, But vec's already had my 2 cents on that, havent you Wink
Krogon Devilstep
Krogon Devilstep

Character sheet
Name: Krogon Devilstep
Title: Blademaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Dréfurion Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:03 pm

Looks very interesting, love the work you've put in to this Vec..

.. I might even roll a human for this.

Dréfurion

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vaell Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:04 pm

I actually really like this idea. KoS to me seem like they are more like the Rohan to the Gondor, Stark to the Lannister, Skyrim to the Cyrodill. This brings in a more powerful but lone warriors who know little of the world other than survival and battle. Almost Orcish!

I have an 85 warrior who I have yet to RP on, I was considering rather Blades for Hire or KoS tbh, but if this goes ahead let me know!
Vaell
Vaell

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next