Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The book thread

+21
Lexgrad
Morinth
Shaelyssa
Guldujenu
Jeanpierre
Saevir
Zouyo
Kristeas Sunbinder
Grufftoof
Lyv
Feydor
Mandui
corleth
Tso/Feloreth
Lyniath
Eowale
Demurral
Shandrea/Nar'Gaya
Antistia
Amaryl
Thelos
25 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

The book thread Empty The book thread

Post by Thelos Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:02 pm

I did a search and couldn't find a thread that was just about books and I thought it might be nice to have a general thread on the subject, since I get the impression that there are quite some avid readers in the community. Tell me what you are reading, what you plan on reading, and what you have read; also which books you have bought and want to buy, or any other sort of discussion on the subject.

This summer I purchased a near untouched copy of this edition of Don Quixote, including illustrations and golden lining on the pages, which makes the whole thing look rather fancy. In fact it looks so fancy that I've yet to finish it because I have no room to properly open it on my desk. Its just sitting there now, jeering. I found it for just 10 euros in a second hand bookstore, a real bargain if you ask me, and it sure lightens up the bookcase. I really should finish that beast one of these days.

Instead I am currently reading trough Treasure Island (Robert Louis Stevenson), one of the all time great adventure novels and it's been an absolute blast so far. So, what are you reading?
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

The book thread Empty Re: The book thread

Post by Amaryl Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:17 pm

Well finished reading A Dance with Dragons, and its a horribly bad book... it felt completely unstructured and rushed to be pushed out with the HBO series that its a dishevelled mess that doesn't deserve the title book.

on the other hand, just finished "Daughters of Rome" by Kate Quinn as some historical fiction to read on the plane, about the lives of 4 roman cousins during the year of the four emperors and that was an entertaining read I really liked that one. since as usual with buying a pocket in the airport bookstore its always hit and miss, so i was pleasantly surprised by that one.

Amaryl

Back to top Go down

Post by Antistia Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:37 pm

Currently reading "On China" by Henry Kissinger, I'll switch to "The Origins of Political Order" by Francis Fukuyama the moment I get my hands on it.

...I'm not a fan of fiction Razz
Antistia
Antistia

Character sheet
Name: Antistia
Title: Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:37 pm

Amaryl wrote:Well finished reading A Dance with Dragons, and its a horribly bad book... it felt completely unstructured and rushed to be pushed out with the HBO series that its a dishevelled mess that doesn't deserve the title book.

I take it that's part of the Song of Fire & Ice series? (Or is it the other way around?) I actually decided against reading it. Since I've been really enjoying the HBO series so far I figured I might as well keep enjoying that without spoiling myself. Lately I have been thinking that might be a mistake though. How good are the books on their own merit?

Last edited by Thelos on Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaryl Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:40 pm

yeah it is, its book 5 of the series.

Well, you have to read the ASoIF in order, but generally they are pretty well rounded, with exception of the latest one, which is in my opinion a total mess and not worth reading until "Winds of Winter" comes out in five years.

Amaryl

Back to top Go down

Post by Shandrea/Nar'Gaya Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:53 pm

Currently zoooming my way through the first book of the "Abarat" series - and absolutely loving it! Clive Barker is the author, and his writing is magnificent, in my opinion. Reminds me a lot of Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, both of whom I adore!

I'll probably finish this one tonight, and seeing as I don't have the second book, I might wait until after x-mas to go to the library, seeing as December is usually dedicated to HC Andersen's stories. One for each day until x-mas. Smile Long live Childhood traditions!
Shandrea/Nar'Gaya
Shandrea/Nar'Gaya

Character sheet
Name: Shandrea
Title: Vixen

https://www.facebook.com/#!/silje.s.eide

Back to top Go down

Post by Demurral Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:49 pm

Just finished reading Inheritance, the final part to the Eragon series. A brilliant book, I must admit Smile
Demurral
Demurral

Character sheet
Name: Greyclaw
Title: Witch of the Wilds

Back to top Go down

Post by Eowale Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:17 pm

I've read alot of books from the author called David Eddings.
Three series, which were called;

The Belgariad.
Entire serie contains five books which are;
Pawn of the Prophecy.
Queen of Sorcery.
Magician's Gambit.
Castle of Wizardy.
Enchanters Endgame.

The Malloreon.
A follow-up serie to the first one with five books;
Guardian of the West.
King of the Murgos.
Demon Lord of Karanda.
Sorceress of Darshiva.
Seeress of Kell.

It's a great serie, and as you might have guessed it's very fantasy based. Gods, magic, unnatural beings, monsters and so on. Fits me perfectly.

The third serie from David Eddings I've read is called;
The Dreamers.
Contains four books called;
The Elder Gods.
The Treasured One.
The Crystal Gorge.
The Younger Gods.

He's a great author, he explains every feeling, every detail of the nature of the surroundings, every part of how the characters look. You can actually put yourself into the book (If you have the imagination).

I also just read a book from Simon Scarrow which is called "Centurion".
I loved it, the title says what it's about, really.
Eowale
Eowale

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:52 pm

Domovoi wrote:Just finished reading Inheritance, the final part to the Eragon series. A brilliant book, I must admit Smile

That's literally the first thing I ever heard somebody say something positive about Eragon. Not trying to sound hostile or condeming, but could you explain what is brilliant about it? I am actually very curious since I saw a film about the books (or was that one about just one of them) which was absolutely horrible.
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaryl Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:30 pm

Thelos wrote:

That's literally the first thing I ever heard somebody say something positive about Eragon. Not trying to sound hostile or condeming, but could you explain what is brilliant about it? I am actually very curious since I saw a film about the books (or was that one about just one of them) which was absolutely horrible.

Judging a book by a film is really never a decent basis Wink

( tough Eragon is the name of the first book of the series and thus the name of the movie that was so sucky that a second one wasn't made (even dungeons and dragons had a flipping sequel...)

Though yeah, what the fuck is interestting about Eragon? to me, its just a clichéed mess, same with Eddings actually... though Eddings work is slightly better solo then when writing with his wife... >.>

Amaryl

Back to top Go down

Post by Lyniath Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:39 pm

Not read much lately. <3'd the Night Watch series by Sergei Lukyanenko, tho I stopped reading Day Watch by the end of part one because a certain char I really liked died :C
Also read Nineteen Eighty-Four for English, since I have a thing for Orwellian dystopias >:3 as a class we read the Great Gatsby, but I couldn't really get into it. Not my kinda thing.
Lyniath
Lyniath

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:53 pm

Lyniath wrote:
Also read Nineteen Eighty-Four for English, since I have a thing for Orwellian dystopias >

May I suggest A Brave New World by A. Huxley, then? Its one of my all time favorites. I wouldn't really call it "Orwellian", but it is certainly a famous dystopian novel that can stand on equal grounds with Orwell's work.
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Lyniath Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:55 pm

Cool, will look.
Tho I have no money Sad
Lyniath
Lyniath

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:57 pm

The good thing about books is that they do not have to be expensive. Especially with a book like A Brave New World you may find a used beaten down copy in a second hand bookstore for less than 5 euros. I at least buy most of my books in secnod hand bookstores.
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Lyniath Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:59 pm

I kinda spent all my money on Skyrim :3
I rarely get money, y'see. Was originally going to buy some clothes, but after rudely being kicked out I bought Skyrim.

I know what you mean tho. I bought a book for school last year and it cost like, £2 off amazon.
Lyniath
Lyniath

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Tso/Feloreth Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:15 pm

Hmm... Nineteen-eighty-four... Is it a good book?
Tso/Feloreth
Tso/Feloreth

Back to top Go down

Post by corleth Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:16 pm

Re-reading Wuthering Heights for 12344475 time. It's my favourite book.

I'm planning on starting on George Elliot's epic Middlemarch afterwards though. Smile

Tso/Feloreth wrote:Hmm... Nineteen-eighty-four... Is it a good book?
Yes. Simply, yes.
corleth
corleth

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaryl Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:18 pm

Tso/Feloreth wrote:Hmm... Nineteen-eighty-four... Is it a good book?

Its and interesting book, with a funny perspective, and just great, great science-fiction.

though it lacks severely in characterization.

Amaryl

Back to top Go down

Post by corleth Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:23 pm

By the way, if anybody is searching for a book to read, just wants to hoard a fuck-load of books, or even.. I dunno, searching for a Christmas present to get someone (books can be good presents!!) then I highly suggest delving into these lists to find some serious gems.
corleth
corleth

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandui Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:25 pm

Finishing Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse. For the 3rd time.
Mandui
Mandui

Back to top Go down

Post by Feydor Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:26 pm

1984 is in my top 20 fo sho
Feydor
Feydor

Character sheet
Name: Theodore
Title: Grand Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by Lyv Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:55 pm

1984 is awesome. 'nuff said.

Currently reading "The sea is my brother" by Jack Kerouac.

I can recommend anyone any book by David Mitchell or Margaret Atwood. Ghostwritten and Oryx & Crake being my personal favourites of theirs.

Poetry-wise, Yeats will always remain a favourite.
Lyv
Lyv

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:35 am

1984 is the only book that gave me a physical jump scare. I literally read a line, jumped up and nearly dropped the book. It was quite an unsettling experience, let me tell you that.

When it comes to poetry I tend to enjoy poems in my own native language more than the poems in foreign languages, which is why I tend to only read Dutch poetry, though I am a firm believer that poetry is better listened to and read out loud by the poet in a small audience rather than read by one guy in his armchair at the fireplace. Gotta love listening to that old fashioned Dutch

Its funny because so many people have said they are rereading a book, though I myself actually almost never reread a novel. Well, apart from the Illiad and the Odyssee, but even then always different translations or versions.

I have to read several modern Arthur-inspired novels. Does anyone have any good suggestions?
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Grufftoof Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:45 am

"Arthurian myth"?

There's a few that spring to mind (though this should not be taken as indication of their literary worth, or enjoyment, unless stated otherwise!):

Le Morte d'Arthur is hardly modern, but the best start.
The Once and Future King (quite simply one of my favourite books).
The Warlord Trilogy (by Bernard Cornwell, interesting take, can be samey).
The Dark is Rising (I guess that's Arthurian, kids book though).
The Guinevere trilogy by Persia Woolley (no idea, but I've seen them).
A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court.

There's a plethora of utter tripe and guff in any fantasy, let alone when people write about Arthur. And don't get me started on the whole "based on (new/exciting) historical evidence" shite that seems more and more common...

ANYWAY.

I'm re-reading Jane Eyre, V for Vendetta and just picked up Rebels and Traitors (Lindsey Davis).

The former two books (or book and comic) are just things I hadn't looked at in a while. Started reading Jane Eyre again after watching the (very good actually) recent movie. And V for... I think just felt like something to read when watching news of OWS and stuff.

The latter I've not read much of, my mum had it and I thought I'd read it, English Civil War era fiction. Quite possibly tripe.

Edit: 1984 is an absolute "must read" for me. Though of the "dystopia fiction" I do like Stranger in a Strangeland and Brave New World more in a way...

Which makes me wonder, though isn't that linked, has anyone read Dorris Lessing's Shikasta books?

Grufftoof
Grufftoof

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristeas Sunbinder Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:50 am

grufftoof wrote:
And don't get me started on the whole "based on (new/exciting) historical evidence" shite that seems more and more common...
Any fictional book that claims to be "true", either in that way or by some character, is a real turn off for me. I don't know how many books that sounded good went straith to "meh" because of such a line.
Kristeas Sunbinder
Kristeas Sunbinder

Character sheet
Name: Kristeas Sunbinder
Title: Operative for Sin Belore

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next