Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Current state of DB RP

+38
Sorayah
itsy
Lorainne/Bridlington
Aldric Essalus Helmfrid
Hermie
Skarain
Sharyssa/Adenah
Timna
Braiden
Jeanpierre
Dharum
Mandui
Eowale
Maelmoor
Arathoran
Killian
Eodan
Lexgrad
Lavian
Seranita
Ishap/Virock
Ataris
Frostfeather
Kittrina
Saevir
Gesh
Drustai
erwtenpeller
Morty
Geneviève
Ledgic
Amaryl
Morinth
corleth
Zhakiri
Lyniath
Psykhe
John Helsythe Amaltheria
42 posters

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Current state of DB RP - Page 6 Empty Re: Current state of DB RP

Post by Lorainne/Bridlington Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:52 pm

I see too many female spacegoats.
Something about glass houses. I don't recall! Laughing
Lorainne/Bridlington
Lorainne/Bridlington

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Tso/Feloreth Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:53 pm

There are male spacegoats?

/duck
Tso/Feloreth
Tso/Feloreth

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:01 pm

Likely this is connected to the need to RP as a pretty Char. Roll ugly, I dare you!
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Quin Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:30 pm

I myself see plenty of nobles it feels, or atleast characters that act on the same height. I am dramatizing everything though, just to try and get my point across.
Quin
Quin

Back to top Go down

Post by Geneviève Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:53 pm

Quin wrote:I myself see plenty of nobles it feels, or atleast characters that act on the same height. I am dramatizing everything though, just to try and get my point across.

I had a huge rant post ready addressing precisely this but deleted it because I couldn't express myself as adequatly as I'd hoped to.

Essentially I believe the majority of RPers play characters with no social depth, by which I mean they play characters with attitudes, access to education and equipment far beyond their claimed lowly origins. They claim a lowly birth only to make their characters meteoric rise to power even more spectacularly sue.
Geneviève
Geneviève

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:00 pm

Geneviève wrote:
Quin wrote:I myself see plenty of nobles it feels, or atleast characters that act on the same height. I am dramatizing everything though, just to try and get my point across.

I had a huge rant post ready addressing precisely this but deleted it because I couldn't express myself as adequatly as I'd hoped to.

Essentially I believe the majority of RPers play characters with no social depth, by which I mean they play characters with attitudes, access to education and equipment far beyond their claimed lowly origins. They claim a lowly birth only to make their characters meteoric rise to power even more spectacularly sue.

This, Dreth cant even read or write! It always makes for better RP to fill out the chars backstory, if they have healing knowege... where did they get it for example. Likely a Westbrook farmer did not go to a medical school.
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:25 pm

Quin wrote:Though these threads do pop up every 4 months I agree that there are problems. The world seems a bit empty but that aint my biggest problem, the biggest problem is that the world is filled with AWFUL characters. They are either nobles,cultists demon overlords, super ninja assasins or generic white knights. Ontop of that you have the people that just go sitting on a bridge waiting for interaction. And then when the interaction actually happends they want to make their char look too badass to actual respond and have some casual chatter.

Imho we need to make the actual server more intresting by manning up behind our pcs and getting out there to shamelessly rp with anything or anyone and dare to use different character concepts. Be it lampposts or cracked up gnomes. If you put in effort to interact with anyone and everyone other people will be less shy to do the same and from what I've experienced in the passed an open attitude like that attracts people from other realms.
Current state of DB RP - Page 6 Nailed_it_RE_20th_Century_fox_theme_on_flute-s240x320-227191
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Arathoran Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:56 pm

98% of the gnome population on Defias is actually criminals.
Arathoran
Arathoran

Character sheet
Name: Arathoran Dawnbringer
Title: Advisor to Eloresh Silversmith

Back to top Go down

Post by Morinth Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:08 pm

My warrior is retarded. Very Happy She has a very good memory so she can pick things up, but without the help... she's just DUURRRRR.

I meet far too many oh-so-intelligent characters. ;_; They're all the same.
Morinth
Morinth

Character sheet
Name: Captain Morinth
Title: Queen of the Pirates! (self-proclaimed!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Tso/Feloreth Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:33 am

Arathoran wrote:98% of the gnome population on Defias is actually criminals.
They aren't criminals, they just have ethics which differ from the human ones. /nodnod
Tso/Feloreth
Tso/Feloreth

Back to top Go down

Post by Lyniath Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:58 am

I played my characters as fairly intelligent, but also very naive and with fanatic tendencies.
Weaknesses are what makes interest, unless you're doing a superman-esque "I am all powerful in every way, except for kryptonite!"
Lyniath
Lyniath

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:12 am

Delidah can teleport. That's it. >.<
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:47 am

In my opinion, good characters are defined by their positive traits, not their negatives. You do not define your character by making a list of faults, you do so by compling strengths and/or neutral traits. Your weaknesses will flow naturally from those if you have the ability to tell a good story and create rich characters. If you do not have said abilities, it doesn't matter how much weaknesses, faults and "scars" you give you character, because those do not make them interesting or "deep". You will find that any thinkable combination of traits and habits will naturally cast a shadow of less desirable traits and behavior, as examplified by Lyniath in the case of the truly faithful that tend to be in danger of becoming dogmatic and scary. But it is in the first place that strength of having a powerful will and a strong devotion that create the weakness, and not the other way around. Let the positive define the negative, not the other way around.

Of course you can pretty much swap what I just said upside down and you'll get the same picture, but hopefully you understand what I mean. Though I do not (yet) see how it has anything to do with this thread Very Happy
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandui Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:34 pm

Thelos wrote:In my opinion, good characters are defined by their positive traits, not their negatives. You do not define your character by making a list of faults, you do so by compling strengths and/or neutral traits. Your weaknesses will flow naturally from those if you have the ability to tell a good story and create rich characters. If you do not have said abilities, it doesn't matter how much weaknesses, faults and "scars" you give you character, because those do not make them interesting or "deep". You will find that any thinkable combination of traits and habits will naturally cast a shadow of less desirable traits and behavior, as examplified by Lyniath in the case of the truly faithful that tend to be in danger of becoming dogmatic and scary. But it is in the first place that strength of having a powerful will and a strong devotion that create the weakness, and not the other way around. Let the positive define the negative, not the other way around.

Of course you can pretty much swap what I just said upside down and you'll get the same picture, but hopefully you understand what I mean. Though I do not (yet) see how it has anything to do with this thread Very Happy
I did just turn this the other way around and it does work indeed. I'm no longer sure which of the two versions is the best choice to make...
Mandui
Mandui

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:38 pm

Positive! <3
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rmuffn Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:11 pm

Delidah / Scuzy wrote:Positive! <3

You carebear. Sad
Rmuffn
Rmuffn

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaryl Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:06 pm

A problem that I have been encountering though, is that if you make a character with a rediculous Ego, like Djego Stonehead, monster hunter blablablablabla

People tend to scoff it off as LoLRP or BadRp instead of Rping with him as he actually is, an idiot.

likewise, on the other hand, Amaryl, is arrogant, determined, and seemingly Fearless, and a veteran paladin. and as a result of that, she never expects to lose a fight, doesn't expect to be bested, mocks "stupidity and foolishness" and just boasts an air of "I'm better then you".

which tends to be interpreted as look at him/her another one of those Overpowered White-knights /sigh.

its so easy to immediately establish an opinion on the ooc player behind a character just dependant on how the character behaves...

Amaryl

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:08 pm

I think peoples initial reaction to Deli is often that she's a loller. But that's okay, I'm aware I play her a bit... Intense and silly sometimes.
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:10 pm

It is all down to how much you RP with the other char really. IRL how may guys do you know who are deeper than they seem? It is the way you RP too, likely Amaryl and lex will never discover each others depths which is as it should be.

Lex has alot of depth but most folks wont see that unless you can get him to lower his defences (which isnt that hard really). He even has kinda friends Razz Quite interestingly the living have a better chance of this than the undead.
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaryl Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:41 pm

the problem isn't the Perceived IC Depth.

its the OOC value judgement of the Player that comes from RPing certain things, which makes people "shun" eachother under the guise "he's a sucky RPers", instead of actually RPing with them.

Amaryl

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandui Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:44 pm

Amaryl wrote:the problem isn't the Perceived IC Depth.

its the OOC value judgement of the Player that comes from RPing certain things, which makes people "shun" eachother under the guise "he's a sucky RPers", instead of actually RPing with them.
Winnah.
Mandui
Mandui

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorainne/Bridlington Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:04 pm

Tsurana/Lorainne wrote:Fresh ideas that come with new role players and guilds keep role play interesting. In my eyes we seem to be lacking this lately, because the community is too critical.
People do not want to be bashed for showing initiative.
Lorainne/Bridlington
Lorainne/Bridlington

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Gesh Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:04 pm

A good character is defined from their positive and negative traits. It's a balancing act, and one you have to remain loyal to! Even if it results in negative effects upon your character in that given situation.
Gesh
Gesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:37 pm

Just for brevity's sake I did not mean positive and negative in a normative sense, as in good/bad traits, just positive and negative in the mathematical sense. Somehow I'm getting the impression people are mixing the two definitions up. In the sense I'm using it, negative traits are:
Character [X] is not [Y],
and positive traits being:
Character [X] is [Y].

An example of a negative trait would be "Thelos is not easy to anger"
An example of a positive trait would be "Thelos is generally calm and serene"
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Lyniath Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:46 pm

Okay, make it simpler.
INTERESTING and WELL THOUGHT OUT traits, whether strengths or weaknesses, define a good character. You need both to have a working character, and both need to add to and come from your character's personality and history.
Lyniath
Lyniath

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next