Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Path to Priesthood

4 posters

Go down

Path to Priesthood Empty Path to Priesthood

Post by Jeanpierre Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:30 am

A detailed description of the path of Priesthood that Jean-Pierre and Irys subjected themselves to, willingly, and enjoyed tremendously. Placed here, for future reference, for anyone who wants to read it.

Path to Priesthood Pathtopriesthood

"Are you certain, apprentice, that you wish to be admitted to Priesthood following my path? The community of the Church of the Light holds many different views, orders and smaller churches. Many are permitted to offer their own paths of ascension to Priesthood. To follow the path I have to offer you may not prove the easiest, nor the quickest.
But I see in your eyes more determination than your tongue dares speak. Your name is known to me and your heart is true. Hm. Yes, perhaps I should explain you my way then, one of the many ways that have been walked here at the Cathedral."

1. The Three Pillars of Work as a Priest
"Ahh, apprentice, you shall first have to demonstrate your ambitions as a priest. These works are divided over the three pillars.. the three pillars of work that all priests perform in their duty."

1.1 Devotion to the community
"The first pillar, apprentice, is the pillar of work towards the community. You must demonstrate your devotion to the community. A priest's work serves the Light and through that our society. This work is never finished, but perhaps a single step or chapter in your endeavours for the community can be choosen as mark of your devotion. You must keep track of the works you have done for the community. Not for a sense of accomplishment but as proof for your admittance as priest. Some work in the Church for years, maintaining the chandeliers and sweeping the floors. Others commit to pilgrimages or guide people who are in need of faith."

OOC requirements:
- It could be a public event such as marriages, funerals, masses, preachings, confessions, work for the poor.
- It could be a duty you have performed over time (through RP!), such as helping an infirmary, helping a certain institution. Then a report must be delivered by an authorized person of that institution or facility.

1.2 Development of Light blessed abilities
"The second pillar of work is the development of your abilties as a priest. To work and have faith are remarkable qualities, but a priest of the Light must also learn how to apply these blessings of the Light properly. You must demonstrate that, indeed, the Light is with you in this matter and will aid you in your work as a Priest."

OOC requirements:
- It could be a report from a fully entitled priest to acknowledge the person's abilities in the Light.
- It could be a demonstration, or a series of tests.
- It could be a report of accomplishments with the Light such as: exorcisms, healing, or protection.

1.3 Acts of faith
"Of course, apprentice, you must also have demonstrated faith in Light's destiny at least once. You may choose from books, or be counselled in which test you choose to take, if you have not done this yet, but you must prove that you dare rely on your faith in the Light alone.. whatever end it may have brought. I could perhaps... give some of the strongest examples from the past."

Curing a dangerous illness
"Some diseases are infused with magic and shadow. So was a blight that hit a town up north a few decades ago. It was miss Daniella that choose to tend to the people there, risking her own health. She claimed that, if the Light would let her turn ill, then such would be the will of the Light but that this risk would not turn her from her cause."

Isolation
"His name was... Jack... He choose to let himself be incarcerated for three days without food or water, bed, daylight or anything else but his robe. People could come and visit him, but sometimes he would not even welcome company. He claimed it demonstrated his devotion, that his faith trascended his basic needs, and it guided him to a pious life. He succeeded, but was found fairly weakened after three days."

A leap of faith
"A rather remarkable demonstration was that of Ilya. Ilya stubbornly walked off the edge of the canal and was seen floating safely to the other side. When asked why he proved his faith in such a direct but perhaps pointless manner, he claimed simply that the Light had a greater purpose for him and he would not be deterred by anything from completing it. He believed that by demonstrating this publicly, he would inspire the people around him. He died from a mundane fever a month after his admission as Priest. Indeed, he serves a larger purpose, for now his tale serves as a lesson of humility to many."

Faith in Light's fate.
"Perhaps more popular among confessors.. for this act was practiced a few times by them.. I believe it was Roxanne the pure of heart who performed this the first time, before she became a confessor. She choose a prisoner from jail, and swore that she would forever fight to prevent whatever crimes this man would confess to her. It were a man who, in his frustration of not finding his love returned, choose to murder a lady's husband and... well.. desecrated her. Roxanne would be known as Roxanne the pure of heart since, as she choose to be a confessor and help people lost in their madness of love."

2. Admission to the Brotherhood or Sisterhood

"After completing your works, you shall present them before a commission of Brothers and Sisters. You shall defend your actions and declare why you deem these sufficient to be admitted as a priest. You may be interrogated on your knowledge of the Light, apprentice. And do keep your mind clear... for they may present you with a cases, an examples, of challenges you may face in your duty as a priest. You must explain how you will meet theses challenges and will be evaluated on your answers. In the end, apprentice, this board must judge you ready and worthy."

OOC notes:
The commission can contain any number of people. The priest-in-wanting is to collect his commission and organise the event for it. Alternatively, he can make it public and answer questions from the public... or compose a comission but still have the questioning be held publicly.

3. Inauguration

"Lastly, apprentice, you will undergo a public inauguration... for the judgement of the Brothers and Sisters is not sufficient. To be a Priest is to be at the service of the people. It is a role defined in the community, as much as it is an accomplishment of your progress. The people must judge if they will accept you, Brother. You shall be placed before the community and testify of your work. Only if they accept you, shall you be welcomed among the Brothers and Sisters of the Light. Allow me to explain the ritual."

OOC structure:
- public event
- Will need one priest leading the ceremony
- Will need the candidate, preferably in a 'simple' robe

3.1 The location
"A suitable location must be chosen. This may be the Cathedral, or any holy place. If no sacred building is used, then the location must be blessed with prayers for three days straight before the ritual can be performed there.
The location must offer a straight path to an altar. "

3.2 The guests
"The whole community is invited to join the event and is invited to take place halfway the path. They are split in two groups. People who accept your nomination, will stand on the right side when facing the altar. People who have requests, demands or objections, can stand on the left side. I shall explain their role later."

3.3 The ceremonial priest
"A priest of your choosing may then lead the ritual. The priest will await you at the start of the path. It was tradition once upon a time that this priest bore white clothes and a scenser, but it has also proven tradition to change one's ways."

3.4 The apprentice
"The apprentice shall present him or herself in white robes and bare feet, at the far end of the path. Their final effort shall be to reach the other side of the path, and complete their oath."

3.5 The path of ascension

Opening prayer
"The priest and the apprentice shall begin their path with an opening prayer declaring their intent. Shall I give you one, apprentice, or will you write your own?

The judgement of the people
"The priest and the apprentice shall then stand before the people and speak."
The priest - "People of our community. Before you stands a (wo)man who choses to devote his/her life to the Light and this community. Will you accept this apprentice as your priest? What will you ask of this priest?"

"Guest that have objections or requests can then, stand on your left. Each in turn, they can present the priest with a problem in their life that wish to see mended or aided by that (future) priest. Or they can voice an objection. It is up to the ceremonial priest to decide if this request or objection is valid, and in line with their doctrine. It must be a non-material request, of course. Once it is validated, the apprentice should accept the assignment, or refuse his ascension to priesthood. It is rare, but it happens that a ceremonial priest refuses a request, but the priest-apprentice accepts it none the less."

OOC structure:
- The ceremonial priest will ask, in turn, for the guests on the left to voice their request/conern.
- Guests can request help, or make a demand of non material value. They can ask help with a certain task or a problem.
- Each request must be validated by the ceremonial priest. The request may not imply a lifelong commitment, though the priest candidate is permitted to commit himself or herself to such.

"There is one memorable tale from these requests.... It has happened that one man asked the apprentice for love. She accepted his request and promised to work with him till he found love. The man was maimed and found no woman bearing the sight of him. She tried to help him express his heart through art, and discoverd a heart so pure that she became enamoured with him."

The path of the Light
"When the community has decided to accept the priest, then he can turn towards the final part of the path. This path must then be blessed with Light and the priest must cross it, so that his steps be judged by the Light. Should the Light reject or burn him, he is refused.
Oh.. don't worry apprentice. Only few have been rejected by the Light, and they were later uncovered to have other intents than only being a priest."

OOC structure:
- Holy Word: Sanctuary is cast on the ground, which the priest must cross. This can be cast by anyone, be it the apprentice or priest themselves or someone in the audience.

Oath of Priesthood
"And finally, the priest candidate shall take his oath. Such.. is the path to priesthood, apprentice."
Jeanpierre
Jeanpierre

http://www.disciplesoflight.eu

Back to top Go down

Path to Priesthood Empty Re: Path to Priesthood

Post by Jeanpierre Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:31 am

This is the training course we used, as a source of inspiration. We didn't follow it to the letter of course! But simply as a source of inspiration.

The Path of the Priest
OOC Foreword

I recall reading Blizzard's class description of the priest when I started wow: "Priests are a source of inspiration for their people, the masters of healing, strengthening their allies in battle and they are the most sought after class by groups."
Dreaming of legendary acts of benevolence, I rolled one.

Then the game started... After one or two goodie goodie quests, I was only sent out to kill. No matter the grace of my spells, quest givers turned me into little more than a low life butcher. Parties in dungeons would finally allow me to heal, but the excessive cursing and degenerated social abilities of people in pugs ("OMFG Priest BUFF PLOX!!11") hardly made me feel like a source of inspiration.

Luckily, roleplay offered a great chance to compensate for the lack of a priestly experience through quests. But I still felt something was missing: RP evolving around the training of a priest itself.

Originally this project wass designed for the Disciples of Light but a larger audience could benefit from the same work. Also the added logistical effort to opening it up to more priests isn't that big. I hope this will generate some interest in the priest class, priest RP and the events/courses I noted below... or just inspire people to do something similar for their class.

The course program.
The different paths of the priest
Description: An introductory course to the program. The participants The paths of the priest are divided into two main styles: a path of discipline and a spiritual path of dedication to the Holy Light.

((OOC note: I chose to avoid a shadow path for the reason that it's something very controversial for my character. I could not possibly do it ICly and it was never the shadowy destruction I lacked throughout quests... nor opportunities to display my wrath in dungeons. There are brilliant RP'ers out there wielding the Shadow for either benine or evil purposes. I would LOVE it if they would implement something similar and can only offer my help, be it behind the screens, to assist them in such effort. But for those interested in the shadow, I can recommend to ask around and I'm sure they'll have some names pop up.))

The path of Discipline is paved with training to strengthen the mind, build up one's resistance to physical pain or fortitude and to spark up the burning fire in oneself to serve the Light. It is a humble path where participants focus on placing themselves in the equation to bring harmony. It is hard path to walk, as one's physical being is subject to whatever the task may demand and the participants may end up having naught but their mental power or burning passion to help them through it.

The path of Light focuses on utter devotion to the Light, spiritualism and prayer. With prayers, the participants learn to allign their minds to their intentions, their goals to their faith, and rekindle the spirit in their companions. Participants are trained to test the limitations of their knowledge or views, and rely solely on their faith in times of need, lending their lives as tools of the Light. Spiritualism helps them reflect into themselves and the world so they learn to see both from a different perspective, where imbalance and its resolutions are revealed. It may seem accessible for it has less apparent physical training but it is a path that requires great dedication to obtain results.

Unbreakable will
Path: Discipline, power of the mind.
Prerequisits: None.
OOC Structure: Narrative course, debate and some emoted tests.
Description: We dive into our own psyche. Through prayer we learn to focus on the mind and block out disturbing factors that might distract us from our predefined goals. More important than promoting one approach to this, however, we try to talk about different methodologies and extract the similarities, hoping to find the essence of our methods that is shared.

The evaluation of one's progression in this course is measured by the tutor.

Meditation
Prerequisits: Unbreakable will.
OOC Structure: Narrative course and some emoted tests.
Description: A course in meditation. Using techniques of meditation we try to elevate our level of concentration and subsequently try to uphold this level of concentration through a series of tests. Participants must succeed in the different tests in order to pass this training.

Group meditation
Prerequisites: Meditation.
OOC Structure: Short course and group emotes. A mini 'mind event' takes place where the players roleplay being in a collectively envisioned world (partychat?).
Description: The group learns to meditate and share thoughts. Together they learn to meld their minds to one and learn to use their group mind to share ideas, emotions and memories.

Mental strength and agility
OOC Structure: Narrative course, emoted meditation and emoted games.
Description: The course evolves around further advancing the use of meditation. Where we learned to block out distracting factors, we now learn to increase our senses while maintaining a hightened level of concentration. Participants will then be tested through a series of games.

Focused willpower
OOC Structure: Narrative course and emoted games.
Description: After elevating our mind to a higher level of concentration, we weaponise it to increase our willpower through a series of harmfull tests.

Martyrdom, theory
Path: Discipline, fortitude.
Prerequisites: None.
OOC Structure: Narrative course and debate.
Description: A course on the powerful concept of martyrdom and self sacrifice. The course handles how it can be used as a means to safeguard another from pain, a teacher or to become a powerful symbol of a principle.It will also elaborate where martyrdom is not a proper solution or where its outcome is uncertain. This is followed with a discussion on the ethical use of this method.

Absolution and forgiveness
Path: Discipline, fortitude.
Prerequisites: Martyrdom, theory.
OOC Structure: Narrative course, debate and chance for participants to tell a short tale.
Description: A course in empathy and understanding, using martyrdom as a teacher if required. The course elaborates on the power of forgiveness and compassion.

The course ends with practical guidance to rid oneselves from wrongs in the past.

Silent Resolve
Path: Discipline, inner fire.
OOC Structure: Narrative course and debate.
Description: A course and debate in the power of silence as a method to undisturbed resolution in one's mind and heart from outside influences.

Enlightenment
Prerequisites: Silent Resolve.
OOC Structure: Narrative course, debate.
Description: A course in relgious prayer and speech, with the intention of strengthening one's spirit.

Renewing Hope
Prerequisites: Enlightenment.
Description: A religious course on how, even the darkest times, we must always find hope and renew one's spirit with it. This will be accompanied by a few questions and discussions.

Martyrdom, practice
Path: Discipline, fortitude and innner fire.
Prerequisites: Martyrdom theory, Renewing Hope.
OOC Structure: Two parts: a series of exercises that demonstrate readyness (entry exam?) followed by custom tailored assignments.
Description: A practical series of exercises and tests where one can display their mastery and insight in the practice of self sacrifice. These rituals and exercises can, however, span over several days and may have harmfull consequences for the participants. As such, this class is reserved only to those who proved sufficiently strong in the mastery of the theory.

Pain surpression
Path: Discipline, fortitude and power of the mind.
Prerequisites: Martyrdom theory, Focused willpower.
OOC Structure: Planned event that can span over several days. This ritual is meant to have an impact on a character, though of course that remains their choice. The event is chosen and discussed in accordance with the tutor and the participant. The participant is subjected to the ritual 'alone' though it will be a group or public event to subject the participant to the pain. A good example is imprisonment under a false identity and crime, to subject the participant to the maltreatments in jail. To be negotiated with guarding guilds such as the Blazing Shields.

Description: A ritual of pain, meant to train and learn the participants to endure difficult times. Both will and hope must be mastered in order to endure this ritual. Furthermore the participants must have passed their martyrdom tests, in preparation for this ritual.

Penance
Path: Discipline, inner fire and power of the mind.
Prerequisites: Absolution and forgiveness, Group meditation.
OOC Structure: Planned event. I recommend different approaches to accomodate preferences and allow a relaxed approach for people eager to complete the path, but also to offer a challenge and deeper meaning for those who care for it.
- Method 1: a fully RP'd dungeon run. It sounds mundane but this is the 'fast' method.
- Method 2: a fully RP'd raid. It might require to be spread out over several days if long. The goal here is to have an animated, playable event for those who'd like to have a thematic raid.
- Method 3: a classic RP styled event. The players communicate in a private chat. The player subjecting himself to Penance is the GM of the event though he also plays himself in the envisioned world. Other players can disrupt the mind scape and should thus thread with care, but they are essentially there to assist the subjected player.
Description: Participants go over memories of their past which they resent, regret or which hold them back in their life. One in particular will become the subject of his Penance, unless the memory is shared by many. Through group meditation, they are taught to open up on these memories and confront their past. By confronting and either accepting or defeating it, they release themselves of this burden.

Holy Focus
Path: Holy, Devotion
OOC Structure: Narrative course, emoted meditation.
Description: Participants learn to listen to their faith and heart and block out all factors that trouble them. They learn to keep the clear the way for their faith in the Light.

Holy Reach
Path: Holy, Devotion
OOC Structure: Narrative course, group event.
Description: Participants group up and to listen to their faith and heart and block out all factors that trouble them. They learn to keep the clear the way for their faith in the Light.

Surge of Light
Path: Holy, Devotion.
Prerequisites: Holy Focus.
Description: They are taught how work for the good universe can bestow them, or people who they helped, with great vigor. Then they learn to use this vigor to continue Light's work. Subsequently they learn to initiate this positive cycle of influence, and how to maintain it so that the Light's vigor can surge through all the people who chose to accept it.

Spiritual Guidance
Path: Holy, Spiritualism.
Prerequisites: None
Description:
A course and debate on the importance of spiritualism as guide in society. A few methods and key elements to spiritualism are handled and discussed. In the end, participants are required to come up with their own explanation of the Virtues on a spiritual level.

Body and Soul
Prerequisites: Spiritual Guidance
OOC Structure: Narrative course, debate, emoted actions.
Description:
An in depth discussion around the bond between body and soul, how spiritualism can help to elevate one's mind but not allow one to escape their physical limitations fully. This is then related to the Virtues: how can they be used to see the connection and how does one make body and soul work together. At the end, the participants are required to demonstrate their mastery of this connection. Evaluation can be under the form of tests, a ritual or the tutor's discretion.

Serendipity
Prerequisites: Body and Soul
OOC Structure: Thesis
Description:
The participant submits a short text describing a new idea or element of this world and how the Light can be found in this element, how the Virtues influence its life and how it is part of the greater whole. Alternatively, as aspect of the religion of the Light may be discussed.

Holy Prayers
Path: Holy, Power of Prayer
OOC Structure: Narrative course, discussion.
Description:
An elaboration on prayers, their use and different styles in prayer. This is followed by a discussion as participants are encouraged to find a method of prayer that matches their style and their heart.

Inspiration
Prerequisites: Holy Prayers.
OOC Structure: Sermon.
Description:
After a short introspective course on finding one's inspiration to translate concepts of the Light into prayer, participants are subject to a test of improvisation. A subject is given and they must find a prayer or the basic structure of a prayer to match their intentions.

Desperate Prayers
Prerequisites: Holy Prayers.
OOC Structure: Narrative course, discussion.
Description:
A course on short prayers with radical tones. A discussion follows on their weaknesses, strengths and applicability. The course ends with a second discussion, the preparation of one's mind to imminent death in the form of a prayer.

Test of Faith
Path: Holy, Devotion, Power of Prayer.
Prerequisites: Surge of Light.
OOC Structure: A small event. The event can be custom tailored towards the participant. It is up to the participant to create his own test or to let the tutor chose a test for him. This can be a self endangering mission, or being forced to aid a person without directly influencing that person.
Description: A ritual of faith. The participants are set before a task, for which they can not use a direct solution. Only by following earlier teachings or have faith in the Light and prove just in their solution can they complete this task successfully.

Divine Providence
Path: Holy, Devotion and Spiritualism.
Prerequisites: None
OOC Structure: Thesis
Description:

Guardian Spirit
Path: Holy, Spiritualism, Devotion, Power of Prayer
Prerequisites: Divine Providence, Desperate Prayers.
OOC Structure: ICly it will not be 'planned'. OOCly it is a planned, personalized event in the game. It is best related to a war scene and thus be played during a campaign. Alternatively a fully RP'd raid can be organized to make up a battle scene.
Description:
It is more a result that one must accomplish, rather than a planned test. The participant must demonstrate through his abilities and a direct intervention that he saved one of his companion's life. Such situation can not be foreseen or planned willingly for the devotion to the Light requires that we blindly trust it that it will come when it is most direly needed.

Jeanpierre
Jeanpierre

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristeas Sunbinder Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:53 am

... you make me want to roll a human priest...
Kristeas Sunbinder
Kristeas Sunbinder

Character sheet
Name: Kristeas Sunbinder
Title: Operative for Sin Belore

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:55 am

Kristeas Sunbinder wrote:... you make me want to roll a human priest...

Seconded.
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeanpierre Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:15 am

Ahh, thank you. All I can say is.. It was perhaps a bit of a long road... hehehe. But it was fun. Very Happy
Jeanpierre
Jeanpierre

Back to top Go down

Post by Zinkle Figgins Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:32 am

Amazing project! Now forgive me JP, but it had to be posted:

Zinkle Figgins
Zinkle Figgins

Character sheet
Name: Razgash Gronnbane
Title: Warbringer

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeanpierre Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:37 am

It's always a good time to post AC/DC.
If this were a Gnome Engineering path, I would hardwire AC/DC in the program!
Jeanpierre
Jeanpierre

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down