Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The mmorpg of your dreams, time to dig out the fantasies!

+16
Amaryl
Chase - Esou
Nayan
Ralegh
Mervyn
Lini
Muzjhath
Lavian
Etular
Unknown
Seranita
Mikasa
Jeanpierre
Geneviève
Kristeas Sunbinder
Meralynn / Ashla
20 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The mmorpg of your dreams, time to dig out the fantasies! - Page 2 Empty Re: The mmorpg of your dreams, time to dig out the fantasies!

Post by Guest Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:57 am

I didn't get to try it myself, but you get to fly around in the Astral on some ships, with people being navigator, helmsman, gunners, captain and so on, and then you'd fight raid mobs or rival ships or whatnot.

In theory it sounds awesome, but with Allods being a pile of poop in it's own all-high category, I never got to progress far in it.

Back to top Go down

The mmorpg of your dreams, time to dig out the fantasies! - Page 2 Empty Re: The mmorpg of your dreams, time to dig out the fantasies!

Post by Nayan Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:07 pm

Mass Effect MMORPG. NOT a FPS, but MMORPG. :<
Nayan
Nayan

Character sheet
Name: Nayan of the Frostmanes
Title: Primal of Bethekk

http://s1.zetaboards.com/Heritage/

Back to top Go down

Post by Muzjhath Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:17 pm

An MMO set in the world Steven Erikson and Ian C. Esslemont created, or A song of Ice and fire.
But in the later case far from Ashlas description. If Maesters or Septas could fight... Urgh.

But for the first world, has so many possibilities and is just so big yet still well worked.
Muzjhath
Muzjhath

Character sheet
Name: Muzjhath Farstride
Title: Dead Varog'Gor

Back to top Go down

Post by Chase - Esou Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:07 pm

APB but a lot better I guess.
Chase - Esou
Chase - Esou

Character sheet
Name: herregud
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Meralynn / Ashla Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:31 pm

Muzjhath:
Well... feels like the game should have some "healer" class, and what would be better than septons? ^^

I don't know of that first world, could you explain some more?

Chase:
What's APB?
Meralynn / Ashla
Meralynn / Ashla

Character sheet
Name: Meralynn
Title: Sergeant, Blazing Shields

Back to top Go down

Post by Muzjhath Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:54 pm

Err, trying to talk about Erikson and Esslemonts world is, a bit hard since there's just far too much. Only quick way to do so would be by saying that it's amazingly complex and this ins't the thread for it.

As for the SoIC MMO, I'd rather have it classless, and (if classes) if there should be any healer it would be a Maester who does fieldsurgeries. Septons would be better as pure buffers/buffers since well. They just prey! Having them do magical healing would feel just like the magic you stated that you didn't want. (I rather have fireballs than "poof, you're healed")
Muzjhath
Muzjhath

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Meralynn / Ashla Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:50 pm

Hmm... good points!

A classless game would also be most interesting. How would that be possible exactly? I imagine some kind of ability selection out of a really wide variety to build yourself up. Like in DragonAge but with all the abilities available and not only the class ones, perhaps?
Meralynn / Ashla
Meralynn / Ashla

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaryl Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:04 pm

An openpvp full loot game that is actually polished. xD

or well, UO in with modernday graphics Razz

we can dream xD

Amaryl

Back to top Go down

Post by Muzjhath Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:33 pm

UO, with maybe a small bit less grinding (since honestly, mining to get your strengh up for two weeks when you started playing was harsh) and modern graphics would be... Fantastic.
Muzjhath
Muzjhath

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Chase - Esou Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:44 pm

Meralynn / Ashla wrote:Chase:
What's APB?

There's a thread about it on the forums here. They're gonna relaunch it as f2p sometime this year.
Chase - Esou
Chase - Esou

Character sheet
Name: herregud
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Geneviève Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:06 pm

Am I the only one who wants a game where there are no skills or abilities beyond, use weapon? You all suck! Razz

*Goes off to shoot the fuck out of clueless morons in Mount and Blade*
Geneviève
Geneviève

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Muzjhath Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:20 pm

Too be honest, when thinking about it I want a really complex fighting system. More than just "use weapon".
I want "Attack like this" "Attack like that" "Shield bash" "Punch with offhand" "Kick" if nothing else just for looks. Grabs, throws, anything so you can actually -duel- instead of having to emotefight and... look sorta silly.
Muzjhath
Muzjhath

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Ralegh Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:42 am

Geneviève wrote:Am I the only one who wants a game where there are no skills or abilities beyond, use weapon? You all suck! Razz

*block with shield and bash with sword*
But yeah, game were you just plain use weapons (magic would be fun aswell but somewhat limited magic in my opinion.)
Then add in ships (allods style! i really liked the idea behind that)
I would play that game a lot....
Ralegh
Ralegh

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Geneviève Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:29 am

Apologies, when I said use weapon I had Mount and Blade in mind.

Archery/Crossbow(ery? Razz) is basically an FPS, you draw the string then release when ready but the longer you hold it the more erratic your aim becomes.

Shields auto block when you press the block button, but you're slower to attack afterwords and they have limited durability, take too many hits from a two handed axe and the thing explodes.

Melee weapons can attack and block in four directions, basically if you're quick enough and can recognise the attacck animations you can block any attack. Thrusts are the weakest sort of attack but have a slightly greater reach than other types. A swing from the left and right is the most common type of attack because it's the easiest to hit a moving opponant with, if they're in your frontal arc and don't block you should hit them, it does medium damage. Overhead blows are the final type of attack, it's the strongest blow and does the most damage, both because of the momentum but also because an opponant's helmet is often the weakest part of his armour, it's hard to hit a moving target through and if you don't get it right and they side step the strike you often leave yourself open to counter-attack.

Then there's mounted combat, it's been described as overpowered but I play an archer/infantryman 90% of the time and still disagree. It's very hard to aim a lance whilst riding at full tilt, when aiming your lance you leave yourself open to being shot by the archer you're charging at, and pikemen can stop your horse dead in it's tracks. IF your horse dies you also plummet to the earth head over heals and have to struggle to get back up.

Basically what I love about the game is how frustrating it is to play. If you die it's because you made a mistake, not because of bad balance, not because of a random and arbitary damage/skill system, because YOU made a mistake, you didn't parry, you didn't block, you levelled your lance to early and took an arrow to the chest, you rode full tilt into a pikeman and your horse died leaving you lying on the ground letting the pikeman work his dagger into the exposed gaps on your armour, your lance missed that infantryman with the zweihander and he's just swung it in a huge arc taking your leg off, you're dead, it was your fault, learn from the experiance and man up. >.<
Geneviève
Geneviève

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Lavian Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:39 am

Geneviève wrote:Am I the only one who wants a game where there are no skills or abilities beyond, use weapon? You all suck! Razz

Minecraft.

... No, seriously.
Lavian
Lavian

Character sheet
Name: Lavian
Title: Dread Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Geneviève Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:44 am

*Goes off to mine the fuck out of clueless mountains"
Geneviève
Geneviève

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Lavian Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:54 am

A classless game would also be most interesting. How would that be possible exactly? I imagine some kind of ability selection out of a really wide variety to build yourself up. Like in DragonAge but with all the abilities available and not only the class ones, perhaps?

That would be my ideal concept. Tho are you talking about attribute restrictions also in that regard? But yeah was never a fond player of pure simple class restrictions tho I can accept the idea and persistance of it always being there.

Also @ Gen. Go play on a server, there's PVP rulesets to them. Just bash the crap out of people, its what you want on a just pure melee/archer game right? Razz
Lavian
Lavian

Character sheet
Name: Lavian
Title: Dread Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Flo Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:06 pm

Eira wrote:

That would be my ideal concept. Tho are you talking about attribute restrictions also in that regard? But yeah was never a fond player of pure simple class restrictions tho I can accept the idea and persistance of it always being there.
No classes is something The Secret World has been marketing, no idea how it'll turn out, but its something worth keeping an eye on.
Flo
Flo

Character sheet
Name: Sanaje
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Geneviève Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:18 pm

Well I've already got the game I've just described. Its just not an MMO and Thief's stealth elements aren't involved. Razz
Geneviève
Geneviève

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ralegh Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:29 pm

Geneviève wrote:Apologies, when I said use weapon I had Mount and Blade in mind.
I realised, i responded to your archery with my favorite mount and blade weapons which are the shield and sword.
Im usually able to make quick work of any oponent while using it and it gives me quite a lot of survivabillity on the battlefield (i usually win battles as long as im there to make sure my soldiers do the right thing, and don't have to autobattle)
Ralegh
Ralegh

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:52 pm

Concentration camps for the Alliance, time to gas some fucking Horde!

Back to top Go down

Post by Gahalla Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:56 pm

Something I'd like to see in an mmo (or in a game in general) is a greater importance of non-combat skills and solutions and a greater level of interactivity.

I'd love to see non-combat skills be given an important role. Not just crafts but a wide range of various skills. Preferably with just as much "hands-on" as the combat aspect. That it is not enough to just "grind" and spend experience points to upgrade the ability (or whatever) but like combat you have to take an active role in it to succeed.
For instance, as a thief, I'd like climbing and actual sneaking (or well.. hog the wall and avoid patrols) to be an important part of the gameplay. Or for that matter, disguising oneself and bribing guards (even better if both are available as alternate paths).

In the same vein, as a warrior, I should be equally rewarded if I defeat my opponents as if I just lock them inside the barracks. That I shouldn't have to kill my opponents if I can help it.

And with greater interactivity I basically mean I want to be able to make use of the world and talk to npc. Have them to be more than quest-dispensers/vendors/targets.
Using npcs just to make the world living and create a cool atmosphere would be nice too. But that is secondary at best.

Oh... and I'd like to see an end to archaic mechanics such as hit points. It's a computer. It should be able to handle a more complex injury-system.
Gahalla
Gahalla

Character sheet
Name: Gahalla rose
Title: Doctor

Back to top Go down

Post by Meralynn / Ashla Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:23 pm

That's really interesting, Gahalla.
Might not be what you mean but I start thinking of old RPG systems where you spend points in Charisma, Intelligence, Agility and stuff like that.
Meralynn / Ashla
Meralynn / Ashla

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Geneviève Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:49 pm

I've never understood their inclusion in a game where you're meant to RP. I mean, I don't care how much charisma your characters supposadly has, if you'e not got the ability to pull off leadership then you can't pull it off and I don't give a damn what your 'leadership' score says.

It's just a way of dumbing down the combat/interaction. So just to make it clear, there would be no attributes score in my MMO and no classes. There'd be no weapon proficiency either, you're as good with whatever weapon you're holding as you, the player, has the ability to be.
Geneviève
Geneviève

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Muzjhath Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:12 pm

For RP I don't care for social "attributes" but I do care for physical skills.
As in, climb, steal/pickpocket, jump.
So, if you are trained in climb you can pretty much climb any surface in the game, if you have equipment etc (Climbing an overhang without hooks might be rather harsh and all that).

As for Gene's "no skills" ability, I really don't like that personally, as then there is nothing at all to improve.
I am all for "classless and levelless" but I still think there should be some form of skills, a way to get better at them (Using them) as well as a roof on how many skills you can have and how good you can become at them.
(Think Mortal Online, not Darkfall, since in the latter the lifeless people who could spend all day in game could max out -everything-.)
Maybe not actual combat skills, but skills that make's getting around the world easier (Climbing a cliff instead of running around to get up).
Sneaking, etc. And personally I like weapon skills, since I think it adds flavor when you can't just take up a weapon and use it if you are to role play in the game, more so if it's without levels.
Muzjhath
Muzjhath

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next