Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Guide] World-RP-pvp for beginners

+27
Muzjhath
Morinth
Lyniath
Kil'drakor
Jeanpierre
Magaskawee/Anaei
Cyaska
Gunnell
teirzul
Rmuffn
itsy
Visceril
Rargnasha
Gogol
Hellvern/Ben
Nessra Sunwhisper
Mandui
Exigua
Sylvina
Geldar
Shaelyssa
Rasonal Dranger
Morgeth
Etular
Gahalla
Kristeas Sunbinder
Krogon Devilstep
31 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

[Guide] World-RP-pvp for beginners - Page 4 Empty Re: [Guide] World-RP-pvp for beginners

Post by Morinth Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:39 pm

... My first ever world kill was in STV. I'd just started Morinth. Was at the level at which one should be questing at Grom'gol Base Camp during Wrath, and was sitting with my RL friend... Saw a Night Elf Druid! We started screaming in panic as I killed her, waiting on a level 80 to gank me. The gank didn't come, so I ran and stealthed behind a large tree, still screaming. My hands were shaking something awful.

I will always remember this. x)
Morinth
Morinth

Character sheet
Name: Captain Morinth
Title: Queen of the Pirates! (self-proclaimed!)

Back to top Go down

[Guide] World-RP-pvp for beginners - Page 4 Empty Re: [Guide] World-RP-pvp for beginners

Post by Krogon Devilstep Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:51 pm

Mandui wrote:
Kristeas Sunbinder wrote:Civilized races like the Draenei and Blood Elves joined Very Happy?
Those epic battles were taking place after that still. Then suddenly around the beginning/middle of Wrath everything went carebear mode.

Exactly around the same time I joined the navy and dissapeared for a year, so my input from the alliance side was gone. when i returned, everything had been turned on its head.

Incidently, mand, when i get back i hope to start a campaign with exactly the sort of rules you just described. everyone will have sore buttocks. now, back on topic! strategy and tactics or it gets the whip again!
Krogon Devilstep
Krogon Devilstep

Character sheet
Name: Krogon Devilstep
Title: Blademaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristeas Sunbinder Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:16 pm

Mmkay,

In my personal observation, having the higher ground during the barrens campaign didn't seem to give the "defending" party any edge once "unfairness" was removed (the battlescar, casters standing on the cliffs).
In ashenvale, standing on a shredder didn't seem to have much effect either.
And lastly, I didn't really percieve an added defense bonus in defending a ramp.
Kristeas Sunbinder
Kristeas Sunbinder

Character sheet
Name: Kristeas Sunbinder
Title: Operative for Sin Belore

Back to top Go down

Post by Krogon Devilstep Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:17 pm

Kristeas Sunbinder wrote:Mmkay,

In my personal observation, having the higher ground during the barrens campaign didn't seem to give the "defending" party any edge once "unfairness" was removed (the battlescar, casters standing on the cliffs).
And lastly, I didn't really percieve an added defense bonus in defending a ramp.

interesting, interesting. so what your saying is, you believe numbers/gear/class composition is more important?
Krogon Devilstep
Krogon Devilstep

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:32 pm

I personally find that the high ground is limited -greatly- by range limits. When you need to jump off the cliff/ledge/shredder/whatever just to get in range to cast your spells, it greatly reduces their effectiveness in the battle.

However, when we had battles that were fought in range of the cliff, with the casters/healers on it, then the side with the higher ground did have the advantage. If I recall, the Horde actually asked the Alliance to fight -away- from the western ledges of Honor's Stand in the favor of 'fairness', because of healers standing on them. The next time we did fight at the ledges, we only lost because the Horde specifically fought to counter it--focusing on charging up the ramp and directly to the ledges instead of allowing itself to be bottlenecked.

Not to mention, when the Horde fought at the oil rig, which could only be reached by charging up a ramp, the Alliance lost all 3 battles on it. Though I think there was a numbers/healers difference, I imagine the ramp did play a part in it.

Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet
Name: Archmage Drustai
Title: The Necromancer

Back to top Go down

Post by Krogon Devilstep Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:36 pm

Drustai wrote:

I personally find that the high ground is limited -greatly- by range limits. When you need to jump off the cliff/ledge/shredder/whatever just to get in range to cast your spells, it greatly reduces their effectiveness in the battle.

However, when we had battles that were fought in range of the cliff, with the casters/healers on it, then the side with the higher ground did have the advantage. If I recall, the Horde actually asked the Alliance to fight -away- from the western ledges of Honor's Stand in the favor of 'fairness', because of healers standing on them. The next time we did fight at the ledges, we only lost because the Horde specifically fought to counter it--focusing on charging up the ramp and directly to the ledges instead of allowing itself to be bottlenecked.

Not to mention, when the Horde fought at the oil rig, which could only be reached by charging up a ramp, the Alliance lost all 3 battles on it. Though I think there was a numbers/healers difference, I imagine the ramp did play a part in it.

tactics eh? a few years ago, you could position your army where you wished and the success of your battles depended on your organisational skills and picking the right location and moments. how i do miss them.

good points raised though drustai, i dare say the ramp on the oil rig was an unfair advantage as it was a pre-determined Horde defensive position before the battle even started. but alas, it would of made a grand suprise had it of been unexpected.
Krogon Devilstep
Krogon Devilstep

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Krogon Devilstep Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:54 pm

Heh, forgot this was here. reckon it deserves a suitable update relevent to recent battles and gameplay/mechanic changes.

If anyone has any suggestions, please voice them and i will include them into the revised and improved guide.
Krogon Devilstep
Krogon Devilstep

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Khendran Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:07 pm

I like how you integrated training and leadership into it rather than focused on the battles only. If you have just five guys who can work together at an instinctive level, they can already make a victory.

I am at conflict about the suggested use of terrain, tho'; it doesn't (always) affect an attack or a defence realistically. Charging up a hill doesn't mean the attackers get slowed down, they'll merrily climb it up and break your nose for thinking that. When choosing a location for defense, rather consider the cover it gives from the enemy's line of sight and attacks, from what direction they will most likely attack, and place your guys accordingly. I agree that while on the attack you shouldn't play into their hand by attacking them head-on (unless attacking head-on has been agreed on), rather use any opportunities they've left open.

In short, I'd suggest that instead of the realistic effects that terrain has, you should consider game mechanics.

I think the chosen tactics would all work well with game mechanics in mind, so no suggestions there.

Overall a good guide, it has made me want to participate in a RP-PvP campaign again. Very Happy

Khendran

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Krogon Devilstep Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:13 pm

Khendran wrote:I like how you integrated training and leadership into it rather than focused on the battles only. If you have just five guys who can work together at an instinctive level, they can already make a victory.

I am at conflict about the suggested use of terrain, tho'; it doesn't (always) affect an attack or a defence realistically. Charging up a hill doesn't mean the attackers get slowed down, they'll merrily climb it up and break your nose for thinking that. When choosing a location for defense, rather consider the cover it gives from the enemy's line of sight and attacks, from what direction they will most likely attack, and place your guys accordingly. I agree that while on the attack you shouldn't play into their hand by attacking them head-on (unless attacking head-on has been agreed on), rather use any opportunities they've left open.

In short, I'd suggest that instead of the realistic effects that terrain has, you should consider game mechanics.

I think the chosen tactics would all work well with game mechanics in mind, so no suggestions there.

Overall a good guide, it has made me want to participate in a RP-PvP campaign again. Very Happy

The point about game mechanics Vs realism is a rather good one, especially with high ground, indeed. I'l definatly try to outline the importance of understanding the difference.
Krogon Devilstep
Krogon Devilstep

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Krogon Devilstep Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:10 pm

Sorry to double post, but i just realised how many diagrams i've made so far for the revised version x _x''

well into two dozen already, wonderful.
Krogon Devilstep
Krogon Devilstep

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4