Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Guide] World-RP-pvp for beginners

+27
Muzjhath
Morinth
Lyniath
Kil'drakor
Jeanpierre
Magaskawee/Anaei
Cyaska
Gunnell
teirzul
Rmuffn
itsy
Visceril
Rargnasha
Gogol
Hellvern/Ben
Nessra Sunwhisper
Mandui
Exigua
Sylvina
Geldar
Shaelyssa
Rasonal Dranger
Morgeth
Etular
Gahalla
Kristeas Sunbinder
Krogon Devilstep
31 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

[Guide] World-RP-pvp for beginners - Page 3 Empty Re: [Guide] World-RP-pvp for beginners

Post by Kristeas Sunbinder Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:20 am

Atleast in recent memory, I can't remember having the missfortune of having someone like that, who breaks the rules, with me. Maybe it's the excessive yelling in /raid or I radiate and aura of "you'll be kicked". If you can't actualy slap people for bad behavior over the internet, you might aswel give them a swift kick if they don't shape up.
Kristeas Sunbinder
Kristeas Sunbinder

Character sheet
Name: Kristeas Sunbinder
Title: Operative for Sin Belore

Back to top Go down

[Guide] World-RP-pvp for beginners - Page 3 Empty Re: [Guide] World-RP-pvp for beginners

Post by Jeanpierre Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:25 am

Admitted Krogon, I didn't read all points in detail yet but I'd like to join the discussion the battles themselves and the use of "tactics" and game mechanics. I'm torn between the way things are now and what you mention. On one hand I think it's brilliant, but on the other I'm not convinced it will improve things for the better. If we mix OOC and IC entirely, what prevents us from all flying miles high in gryphons, land behind the enemy's lines and charge that way? Or better yet... Just ignore every base and defense. Say Horde line up at the pass in WPL to keep the Alliance out of the Forsaken land. We could just fly over and charge into Undercity. For those who wish, we could even wave at the Horde as we fly by. Maybe toss a kiss and a rose.

I recall the defense of a camp in Howling Fjord where we had set up on the walls to defend it. In comes the Horde with water walking and charges us in the rear. OK... I guess... that was... "smart". It also ruined the fun and Alliance left pronto, some swearing they won't be arsed with that kind of stuff, ending the event.
The lining up and charging may sound as bull but if we allow all options for tactics, things might get worse. For one, the coordination will become a nightmare. Already there are difficulties in discipline among the troops OOCly when all we do is a headcharge. Adding more tactics might make it even harder. Manageability is the key concern in such large battles, I think.

What is important is what people expect. If you don't gather and line people up for a headcharge, then by wow defined mechanics it's likely a miserable thing to do. Which would also mean that following the game mechanics too openly will promote just turning the whole zone in 1 big, random ganking fest.
Jeanpierre
Jeanpierre

http://www.disciplesoflight.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeanpierre Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:40 am

Cyaska wrote:To respond to your last sentence- It COULD happen that you are attacked anywhere. Freak occurances happen. Negligence happens. Not checking a crate happens. Being magically invincible, on the other hand, only happens if your name is Rasputin.

*shrug* I don't see the sense in it. Either you play it following game mechanics and then blue shield is just your damn bad luck. Or you play it IC and then it's unrealistic to even be standing in the base. Anything in between is whining to get cheap kills. Freak occurrences is just a weak argument IMO. It can happen once in a million on a population of millions in any realistic terms.

That said, I don't blue shield unless I can't let an -event- be disturbed.
You're invited to try your luck and die like those before you.
Jeanpierre
Jeanpierre

Back to top Go down

Post by Kil'drakor Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:41 am

Jeanpierre wrote:I recall the defense of a camp in Howling Fjord where we had set up on the walls to defend it. In comes the Horde with water walking and charges us in the rear. OK... I guess... that was... "smart". It also ruined the fun and Alliance left pronto, some swearing they won't be arsed with that kind of stuff, ending the event.
The lining up and charging may sound as bull but if we allow all options for tactics, things might get worse. For one, the coordination will become a nightmare. Already there are difficulties in discipline among the troops OOCly when all we do is a headcharge. Adding more tactics might make it even harder. Manageability is the key concern in such large battles, I think.

Yeah that was rubbish, it basically removed the only thing that made the RP-PvP event stand out from the usual clashes in the middle of an empty field. There was a clear attacker and a clear defender, and the defender had the upper hand -- which was entirely circumvented by that stunt I might add.

Kil'drakor

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Krogon Devilstep Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:51 pm

Well to that end jean, i can answer quite promptly to your question.

the only thing that does stop all hell breaking loose is Common decency.

its Decent not to do such things. and in regards to your problem of people water walking around and/or using flying mounts to evade... if its a planned battle where both leaders are comminicating, i'd fathom they should of discussed it before hand, and should of made the use of such tactics in howling fjord acceptable or not.
Krogon Devilstep
Krogon Devilstep

Character sheet
Name: Krogon Devilstep
Title: Blademaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristeas Sunbinder Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:09 pm

Wasn't that, borean thundra? Although about Howling Fjord, that zeppelin that flies rounds and docks at the Alliance keep place, taking that over while it's flying around?
Kristeas Sunbinder
Kristeas Sunbinder

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rargnasha Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:17 pm

Jeanpierre wrote:
I recall the defense of a camp in Howling Fjord where we had set up on the walls to defend it. In comes the Horde with water walking and charges us in the rear. OK... I guess... that was... "smart". It also ruined the fun and Alliance left pronto, some swearing they won't be arsed with that kind of stuff, ending the event.

Finally someone who mentions this. x)
After the event (I was the one responsible for the use of that tactic, as well as the arrengor from Horde side) I spent quite a decent amount of time whispering people about feedback on the event from my alliance alt.
The thing about that event was, as I had agreed to with Gogol (Though I have a nagging feeling that he didn't inform his raid of any of this) was that our rules in regards to PvP tactics/gear and the like, was "Everything goes" with a few exceptions, those being ress ganking and combat ressing.
Rargnasha
Rargnasha

Character sheet
Name: Rargnasha
Title: Chieftain

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeanpierre Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:18 pm

Then I would say there was a lack of communication and certainly a difference in expectations.

krogon wrote:the only thing that does stop all hell breaking loose is Common decency.
As much as I agree with you, I think part of the reason this topic exists is that Common decency doesn't tend to be so common. I'm not saying people aren't decent, but they have a different view on it.
Don't get me wrong though. I'd love a PvP system that follows yours more closely.
Jeanpierre
Jeanpierre

Back to top Go down

Post by Krogon Devilstep Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:25 pm

Jeanpierre wrote:Then I would say there was a lack of communication and certainly a difference in expectations.

krogon wrote:the only thing that does stop all hell breaking loose is Common decency.
As much as I agree with you, I think part of the reason this topic exists is that Common decency doesn't tend to be so common. I'm not saying people aren't decent, but they have a different view on it.
Don't get me wrong though. I'd love a PvP system that follows yours more closely.

Then peoples attitudes need to change, not the tactics.
Krogon Devilstep
Krogon Devilstep

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeanpierre Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:08 pm

/Support on that one.
Jeanpierre
Jeanpierre

Back to top Go down

Post by Gogol Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:00 pm

krogon wrote:

Get them while they are young.
Gogol
Gogol

Back to top Go down

Post by Krogon Devilstep Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:21 am

Lazarus wrote:
krogon wrote:

Get them while they are young.

i knew a man who said that once.

he went to prison...

...on an unrelated note, wise words.
Krogon Devilstep
Krogon Devilstep

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Krogon Devilstep Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:05 am

i should very definatly update this... hmm.
Krogon Devilstep
Krogon Devilstep

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Lyniath Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:38 am

We had a PvP event with some forsaken players, I forget who.
But we limited to auto-attack and wands, and non-damaging poisons, and it was a) a ton of fun, b) No DRAMA.
Best event of that type I've seen.
And I've seen the other side of the spectrum, Sunfury vs DRS.
THAT was poor.
Lyniath
Lyniath

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Morinth Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:15 am

I enjoy w-pvp events! Until the other side starts thwacking us with full pvp when told not to, and combat ressing all over the place. \o/ But you can't really do anything about this. If you kick them out of the raid, they just start ganking anyway.
Morinth
Morinth

Character sheet
Name: Captain Morinth
Title: Queen of the Pirates! (self-proclaimed!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristeas Sunbinder Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:21 am

Morinth wrote:I enjoy w-pvp events! Until the other side starts thwacking us with full pvp when told not to, and combat ressing all over the place. \o/ But you can't really do anything about this. If you kick them out of the raid, they just start ganking anyway.

That was when, somewhere TBC?
Kristeas Sunbinder
Kristeas Sunbinder

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Morinth Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:26 am

They do it all the time! Very Happy

Also, w-pvp will always have griefers on each side. Can't do anything about them. Which further ruins it.
Morinth
Morinth

Character sheet
Name: Captain Morinth
Title: Queen of the Pirates! (self-proclaimed!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandui Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:30 am

Rules shouldn't be there to begin with. What happened to the good ol' AAAAAAARRRRGGGHH!!!! battles where no numbers, gear, combat ressing or anything else mattered? Sad

*sighs, shaking her head*
Mandui
Mandui

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristeas Sunbinder Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:32 am

Mandui wrote:Rules shouldn't be there to begin with. What happened to the good ol' AAAAAAARRRRGGGHH!!!! battles where no numbers, gear, combat ressing or anything else mattered? Sad

Civilized races like the Draenei and Blood Elves joined Very Happy?
Kristeas Sunbinder
Kristeas Sunbinder

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandui Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:35 am

Kristeas Sunbinder wrote:Civilized races like the Draenei and Blood Elves joined Very Happy?
Those epic battles were taking place after that still. Then suddenly around the beginning/middle of Wrath everything went carebear mode.
Mandui
Mandui

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristeas Sunbinder Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:36 am

Mandui wrote:
Kristeas Sunbinder wrote:Civilized races like the Draenei and Blood Elves joined Very Happy?
Those epic battles were taking place after that still. Then suddenly around the beginning/middle of Wrath everything went carebear mode.

*ponders*
Tirion's fault. Or maybe old gods.
Kristeas Sunbinder
Kristeas Sunbinder

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Muzjhath Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:10 am

They still generally happen once or twice a year!
Which so much tasty drama flames afterwards!
Muzjhath
Muzjhath

Character sheet
Name: Muzjhath Farstride
Title: Dead Varog'Gor

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaryl Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:32 am

Mandui wrote:

REAL ID xD

Amaryl

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristeas Sunbinder Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:35 am

Amaryl wrote:
Mandui wrote:

REAL ID xD

Nah, was before that.
Kristeas Sunbinder
Kristeas Sunbinder

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Ishap/Virock Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:26 am

Mandui wrote:Rules shouldn't be there to begin with. What happened to the good ol' AAAAAAARRRRGGGHH!!!! battles where no numbers, gear, combat ressing or anything else mattered? Sad

Ah the good old times when the alliance spent 4 hours trying to get away from the gankers in STV... it was actually fun though
Ishap/Virock
Ishap/Virock

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next