Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question regarding the use of Light/Shadow

+2
Gunnell
Tírius
6 posters

Go down

Question regarding the use of Light/Shadow Empty Question regarding the use of Light/Shadow

Post by Tírius Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:45 am

According to my character's back-story, his mother was a paladin and his father a warrior. His brother has inherited his mothers ability to wield the light. Now my question is, would Tírius inherit the potential to wield light? Obviously he couldn't actually do so since he carries out acts that he knows are unjust on a regular basis. How would it affect his grasp on the shadows however? Would it make any difference at all? I've done little RP when it comes to wielders of light/shadow, so my knowledge of such isn't particularly impressive. I appreciate any input :3
Tírius
Tírius

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Question regarding the use of Light/Shadow Empty Re: Question regarding the use of Light/Shadow

Post by Gunnell Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:05 am

You don't 'inherit' the ability to wield the Light/Shadow. It's simply your belief in a deity that allows you to do so. There is no specific "Light of Elune" or "The Holy Light" only 'Light' (And Shadow) but there are different ways in which it is called upon; Sunworship (Tauren) for instance is the same as a paladin following the virtues. It is the same for the shadow.

Gunnell

Back to top Go down

Question regarding the use of Light/Shadow Empty Re: Question regarding the use of Light/Shadow

Post by Tírius Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:20 am

Ah, that makes things clearer ^^ I was somewhat unsure as to whether or not it was something inherited or not - I've always got the impression that to use shadow magic one must have some sort of magic inheritance. Thanks Very Happy
Tírius
Tírius

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Saevir Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:17 am

The Light and the Shadow are equal opportunity powers.
Saevir
Saevir

Character sheet
Name: Saevir Dawnseeker
Title: Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeanpierre Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:38 am

I agree. You are free to go anyway you chose. Still.. It may sound silly, I guess... but to me it always appeared as if heritage in abilities has been a strong theme in wow and other fantasy. I think that is the result of a few things:
- The Fantasy genre was somewhat 'created' in a time where sons & daughters were still expected to live up to their parents wishes and professions. These set a trend for the genre.
- In Fantasy settings, there is rarely a general education. Without this , children are somewhat pushed to learn what is within reach: the profession and knowledge of their parents.

As such, if he was raised by his parents, it would seem logical to me that his father taught him a few tricks and things for combat. His mother would perhaps have learned him a few things about faith and religion. Those two things alone can give a person a headstart over someone who never had either.

Much like any profession... Even several years ago in RL it was common to see a board "Carpenters Smith, father & sons". It would seem logical that this is even a stronger a theme in fantasy. That doesn't necessarily mean carpenter abilities are hereditary.
Jeanpierre
Jeanpierre

http://www.disciplesoflight.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by Gesh Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:54 pm

I roleplay each magical power and even being able to wield the sword to the level of a grunt or soldier to be destiny.

Depending on when the child was born, if he/she is destined for something great and is born under a certain star; let's say for example. Lukeian was born under the Star of Lady's Anquish. In my opinion this gave him a strong connection towards the shadow he would letter come across when he grew older. To me this theory works best because then theirs a sort of IC reasoning why so many people in the world can wield magic or tame beasts and it is also un-biased when it comes to parent to child.
I roleplay that out, but in official lore the Light and shadow are wielded by someone with a strong enough will, Light: Believing what your doing is right. Shadow: Wielding negative emotions, rage, sorrow, despair. At a push, knowing what you do is for yourself AKA wrong.
Gesh
Gesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinchillion Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:08 pm

Seems like a delicate issue here Grasshopper.

Your Mother a Paladin, Father a Warrior. Brother also having the power to wield the "Light". I must ask, how devote was your Brother? In the issue of being able to use "Light" as a source (or even "Shadow") of power, from what I understand both Parties are very devote followers of their Sectors (Light/Shadow).

Like said, you do not "inherit" the use of either powers just because of some family gene. Unlike things like fighting, wielding weapons, and discipline which can be taught and passed down, the usage of "Light"/"Shadow" relies on the individual's utmost faith towards that.

You can have understanding, but faith is a few many steps above that. However, ultimately it all boils down to the individual. A person may not be educated in the aspect of the "Light" but still be able to suddenly wield it. Same with the "Shadow" (as explained above). It all comes down to an extreme level of stimulation of emotions and belief.

Which, will you choose?

Cinchillion

Character sheet
Name: Cin Chillion
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down