Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chapter one – Stories of a drunkard.

Go down

Chapter one – Stories of a drunkard. Empty Chapter one – Stories of a drunkard.

Post by Eloresh Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:54 am

Wolves, werewolves. That was the last thing I heard at the wandering market from the mouth of a man, what was he talking about? Not even two months have past since you left and your "noble citizens" have already started to rave with ghost stories, childrens stories, visions of a crazy old woman who wants attention because she is unattended.

Anyway ... I don’t really know yet why I’ve taken and written on this blank book you once gave me. I may feel the need to show you, with my own handwriting, that the people of this nation live in fear because of silly stories they tell each other. Want to know what was that I heard? Well, let me tell you.

Three days ago I ran out of seeds for planting potatoes. Taking advantage I had gone hunting and finished right after sunrise, I extended the way back home to go through the village to replenish myself with what I needed. The road was quiet and uneventful, Jacko still licked the blood from the mouth of the boar we had just hunted. He is a great dog.

Upon arriving at Duskhaven, I found the typical wandering market of every Tuesday, the market had already been established in the early hours of the morning, and people were buying what they needed from the products offered by the merchants. Everything was normal, everything, except for one man who did nothing but shout nonsense on top of a crate, holding his weight against a lamppost. Even from where I was, I could feel the smell of the bloody alcohol that man gave away. Where did that guy come from? I have no idea, but what I do know is that he had his clothes completely torn, and his arms covered in blood with a terrible bite still bleeding in his right forearm. And pay attention father, because here comes the best of all, the guy screamed like a condemned, that he had been attacked by a "werewolf".

Upon hearing such stupidity, I had no choice but to stand, leaning on my rifle, to listen to the fanciful story of a drunkard who probably had discussed with his wife and drowning his sorrows in alcohol, would have fallen asleep in a herd of piglets who thought hungrily this guy was their dinner. People listened with scares and awe, others with disbelief, and others laughing every time he opened his mouth to release a string of nonsense.

Someone, amid the crowd, caught my attention. Just below the box in which the drunken clown was shouting his nightmares, was a little girl of no more than seven years, sitting on the floor. For what I heard later, this girl was the daughter of our particular storyteller. The girl clothes had been completely crushed and broken as well. In my opinion, her clothes were of good quality, and these had recently suffered such damage.

The girl's face ... can’t be described. She was pale, looking at the crowd, yet focusing on no one, with a totally lost look. Her face was covered with blood and mud, but she didn’t have any injuries, not even a scratch. Strange? I also thought the same thing. I can’t imagine what had gone over his fathers mind, or what has he done to her, to have that face. Two women immediately approached the girl to see whether she was alright or not. The girl did not react to any stimulate, even when the ladies spoke or touched her. The only thing the girl did was say a few words, words that seemed enough for the whole crowd to gather silence. "I saw it too" she said. Even her father closed his mouth and looked at his daughter sat under his feet. Everyone then, after a few seconds of unpleasant silence, began to argue about the veracity of the story the drunk man had just said.

It was the last thing I needed to see and hear. Watching in disbelief the worried crowd, I went to buy my seeds surprised how easy it is to fool an entire village with tale of "werewolves."

Reaching the road, I started to go back home, carrying the boar on my back, and thinking about everything I had heard. Happily, Jacko was walking beside me, when I happened to ask him - If we ever see a werewolf, he better not come close or else you will eat him eh? - Jacko affirmed and barked as if he had understood what I just said. Yes, certainly, he is a good dog.
Eloresh
Eloresh

Character sheet
Name: Eloresh Silversmith
Title: Knight, former Argent Commander

Back to top Go down