Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Account got hacked.

+13
itsy
Ara
Torukan
Gharb
(Goggy) - Exilius
Halya
Feydor
Jomir
Gesh
Cathee Norris
Magaskawee/Anaei
Saevir
Gunnell
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Account got hacked. Empty Account got hacked.

Post by Gunnell Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:59 pm

So, I'm getting a little annoyed here. I've played for what, five years now? And I've yet to be hacked once, so I guess it was inevitable.

Anyhow, I got the "You have been banned for gold selling" blah, blah, stuff once. I changed my E-Mail, did a scan, etc. Fine and off we go.

Now, it's occured again and this time the account has been Locked (AKA: You can't get on until you confirm you've checked everything and they've given you the all clear).

I'm not sure what to do really. Cancel my subscription and wait a while? Get an one of those Authincator thingies (That by all accounts get hacked as well)? Using scans doesn't pick up anything bar a couple of tracking cookies either.

Any thoughts?

Gunnell

Back to top Go down

Account got hacked. Empty Re: Account got hacked.

Post by Saevir Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:03 pm

Cracking an account with an authenticator attached is technically possible, but very unlikely as it requires both carelessness on your part and luck on the hacker's part in obtaining an authenticator code and using it before it expires (1 minute or so).

As for cleaning your pc, if scans don't find anything. Back up your essential files (except executables) and reformat/reinstall. Only way to be sure.
Saevir
Saevir

Character sheet
Name: Saevir Dawnseeker
Title: Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunnell Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:10 pm

Meh, went and bought an Authenticator.

Being the little impulse buyer that I am, I got a gryphon plushy too.

Gunnell

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:10 pm

Contact Blizzard Support and give them your account and password information, and then they'll be able to see that you've been hacked and contact you through your email with a link in which you can most likely change your old password and log in once again.

Sometimes they can tell whatever caused the hack. And then they'll ask you to make a full scan before you receive the email with the possibility of changing your old password.

If you haven't already, turn on your computer -without- internet, and then make a full scan. Sometimes it can't be tracked with the connection on.

Back to top Go down

Post by Magaskawee/Anaei Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:17 pm

Cracking an account with an authenticator is next to impossible unless the hacker is fast as hell.
Magaskawee/Anaei
Magaskawee/Anaei

Character sheet
Name: Magaskawee Grimtotem
Title: Elder Crone of the Banner of the Bloodhoof

Back to top Go down

Post by Cathee Norris Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:20 pm

Anaei/Vezullia wrote:Cracking an account with an authenticator is next to impossible unless the hacker is fast as hell.

Or if you're a stupid as hell.
Cathee Norris
Cathee Norris

Character sheet
Name: Cathee Piner
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Gesh Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:28 pm

If you need any gold or equitment Graham. Poke me.
Gesh
Gesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Jomir Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:38 pm

Vect could I have some gold please? I'm poor.. Sad
Jomir
Jomir

Back to top Go down

Post by Feydor Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:39 pm

what scanners have you been using broseph
Feydor
Feydor

Character sheet
Name: Theodore
Title: Grand Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by Gesh Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:40 pm

Jomir/Nastor/Gannas wrote:Vect could I have some gold please? I'm poor.. Sad

I had 5k on Horde, but I bought a friends epic flying. Currently have roughly around 200g on alliance, and 200g on Horde.
The likelihood is you have more then me >.< But poor Graham well, doesn't with the whole hacking business.
Gesh
Gesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Jomir Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:43 pm

I have 9g 43s and 2c from all my 3 80's and my 71.
Jomir
Jomir

Back to top Go down

Post by Gesh Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:44 pm

Jomir/Nastor/Gannas wrote:I have 9g 43s and 2c from all my 3 80's and my 71.

Dailies!
Gesh
Gesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Jomir Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:46 pm

After getting mah vroom vroom bicycle through them, dailies make me want shoot myself
Jomir
Jomir

Back to top Go down

Post by Magaskawee/Anaei Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:37 pm

Vectoria wrote:If you need any gold or equitment Graham. Poke me.

Do you know being hacked normally doubles all your income?
Magaskawee/Anaei
Magaskawee/Anaei

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:04 pm

Not really. The GM's usually remove anything the hacker has provided.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gesh Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:06 pm

I had all my stuff returned when I was hacked, But i've known people who only got a certain amount of their gold back, and/or gear. I even knew someone from my old realm, who due to complications couldn't have anything returned. 
Gesh
Gesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Magaskawee/Anaei Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:41 pm

Veratic wrote:Not really. The GM's usually remove anything the hacker has provided.

That's not what 25,000g tells me from my last hack. Very Happy Very Happy
Magaskawee/Anaei
Magaskawee/Anaei

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Gesh Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:49 pm

Anaei/Vezullia wrote:
Veratic wrote:Not really. The GM's usually remove anything the hacker has provided.

That's not what 25,000g tells me from my last hack. Very Happy Very Happy

..Did I mention how much I adore you?
and how terribly, terribly poor I am after, buying my friends epic flying! 
Gesh
Gesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Halya Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:10 pm

My account was going to expire the day I got hacked. I got my account back about 2 hours after it was compromised, and had 2 months of game time. Blizzard didn't take it away :DDD

Also, I got to keep the 108 stacks of pygmy oil I found upon returning.
Halya
Halya

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by (Goggy) - Exilius Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:19 pm

Eruadan/Gunnell/Graham wrote:So, I'm getting a little annoyed here. I've played for what, five years now? And I've yet to be hacked once, so I guess it was inevitable.

Anyhow, I got the "You have been banned for gold selling" blah, blah, stuff once. I changed my E-Mail, did a scan, etc. Fine and off we go.

Now, it's occured again and this time the account has been Locked (AKA: You can't get on until you confirm you've checked everything and they've given you the all clear).

I'm not sure what to do really. Cancel my subscription and wait a while? Get an one of those Authincator thingies (That by all accounts get hacked as well)? Using scans doesn't pick up anything bar a couple of tracking cookies either.

Any thoughts?

This happened me just now a couple of days ago. Six years. And hurhur, time that it occured to me aswell.

The son of a beech, sold all me rp shizzle, everything, took me gold and deleted me chars. When I re-trieved my account, the git hacked it once more and reset everything.

Ultimately I had to change the passwords of my E-Mails, then set the Battle-Net acc to a different E-mail than those of the others, wrote a lenghty letter to support.
In an hour or two things were solved, my ban- uplifted. And my characters were returned with most items and objects. Got my money back now after this week-end aswell! D: What a relief.
(Goggy) - Exilius
(Goggy) - Exilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Gharb Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:10 am

Happened to me twice. But I think I"m pretty much secured right now unless I'll get someone hunting me down personally =P

So what you gotta do is make sure that:
1. You dont have any of the crap on your harddrive
2. You dont catch any new crap from the internet

How do you do it:
1. Easiest, most effective and guaranteed result - format your hard drive. Completely wipe it out with formatting. Then install fresh OS with latest updates. Then install anti-virus(kill viruses) and preferrably firewall(detection of internet activity) programs. Also you must have malware(different stuff than viruses, often antivirus software lets it through) detection software - there are plenty of free ones around. I'm using AdAware freeware version, I like it.
After that proceed installing everything else you want.
Prior to formatting your harddrive you'd want to save all the -necessary- stuff to an external HD or usb-drive. Remember to install all the mentioned programs before you'll copy stuff back - it might have trojans or stuff copied as well.

2. Now that your harddrive is 100% free of any malware and stuff you can secure your internet surfing.
I'm using Mozilla Firefox with No-Script addon installed. It protects you in like 99%. It wont protect only if you purposefully click and allow a certain internet crap access.
Why Mozilla? No idea, because it has No-Script probably and its' reliable.
Why No-Script? Because it auto blocks all flash animation, video, scripts and basically any automatic actions on any website you visit. Of course, 99% websites wont function properly in that case. But then you just do two mouse clicks and allow that website (fully or partially, there're useful options) work. After that stuff will be working as usually. At the same time even if you click on some external suspicious link - browser will lock it down and ask you first if you want to allow it to happen or not. It also blocks pop-ups.

After that it's only maybe wow malware addons that could possibly screw you up. I've never met one. Just download addons only from reliable sources and only if you absolutely want it.
Guess that's it. With using the written above stuff I had a virus or malware stuff only like... hard to tell even, once a year or something? And even then my evil programms fragged it in seconds.

Last edited by Gharb on Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Gharb
Gharb

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

http://gharb-rogue.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gharb Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:13 am

And about WoW account.
When you make sure your hd is free of trojans/viruses/malware/whatnot-bad-stuff - contact Blizzard and ask them to unlock your account. They will ask you to send them a proof you're the account owner and after confirmation they'll unlock it.
I've been hacked once, got acc restored. And then hacked again in two weeks. They nevertheless helped me out.
Dont forget to set a new password. Preferrably, everywhere you have passwords. =P

In game contact a GM for restoring your items and lost valuables. They usually return 99% of stuff. I'm not sure about the gold itself. But often it gets returned as well. It just takes time, be patient.
Gharb
Gharb

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

http://gharb-rogue.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Torukan Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:24 am

This may sound like I'm being a twat, but if you had an authenticator, you wouldn't of gotten hacked, end of story, and while Gharb is certainly correct, there is just no guarentee your wow account will be 100% safe without an authenticator tbh

Torukan

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunnell Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:57 am

Tashun wrote:This may sound like I'm being a twat, but if you had an authenticator, you wouldn't of gotten hacked, end of story, and while Gharb is certainly correct, there is just no guarentee your wow account will be 100% safe without an authenticator tbh

Considering I've gone 6 years almost without anything happening like this..

And, authenticator's aren't 100% full proof anyway. Spare me the lecture, which I expected to be given anyway.

Gunnell

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:10 am

Nothing is 100% secure. Nothing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next