Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Monster Hunter!

5 posters

Go down

Monster Hunter! Empty Monster Hunter!

Post by Koroko Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:18 pm

I figure I'd ask here as there's huge similarities in the game to WoW and that hopefully there's someone out there who is up for some hunting.. anyway!

The game is hard to describe but I suppose "a cross between WoW and an action game like Zelda or Devil May Cry" will do. There's no story to speak of and you just hunt huge monsters with a variety of weapons. Unlike most japanese animu games however each weapon handles somewhat realistically (greatswords taking a good few seconds to swing for example) and combat is a very tactical affair involving memorising the monster's attacks and a variety of other things. You can gather and combine items to make armor or stuff like paintballs (tracks the monster on the map) or traps (monster falls into a pit so you can get some hits off.) The monsters themselves are really well designed and some are clearly based off actual animals, you can cleave off parts of their body mid-battle (e.g. cutting off tails) and hitboxes are there so you can dodge under tails etc.

You can play the game online or offline, there's some differences but the core gameplay remains the same. The online mode is COMPLETELY FREE (and offers an experience very similar to WoW with no subscription costs! 'Cause Capcom is trying to get the series to increase to the intense popularity it has in Japan) and it is really great fun. Unlike WoW gear is not a huge issue (it helps but it's not necessary until around 100+ hours in) and experience is key. The game starts off very slowly (just has you gather some ingredients and explore the various hunting grounds/kill off some smaller prey) but I'll try and post a newbie guide if anyone's keen on getting it.

Anyway, if anyone has the game or is interested in giving it a go just give me a PM or post here and I'll do my best to help out, I won't have the Wii I'm borrowing for a week starting tomorrow so that should give me time to help out over Skype or whatever. I usually play with a good friend of mine (she's not very good but it does make for some hilarious deaths) so more regulars for my hunting party is the aim of this post :) And uh here's a less descriptive but pretty trailer with da monstas in it.

Koroko
Koroko

http://defiaseu.wikia.com/wiki/Koroko_Nightwatcher

Back to top Go down

Monster Hunter! Empty Re: Monster Hunter!

Post by Nathiniós Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:24 pm

I wish I could get a monster burger.
Nathiniós
Nathiniós

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristeas Sunbinder Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:34 pm

Learning how to bbq monster meat comes quite early.

*chops up dino with standard oversized anime sword*

It's fun, quite a bit of dodging after dodging just to get that strike in their weakspots Razz
Kristeas Sunbinder
Kristeas Sunbinder

Character sheet
Name: Kristeas Sunbinder
Title: Operative for Sin Belore

Back to top Go down

Post by Elízabéth Moren Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:42 pm

Brilliant game, very fun and challenging! Shame I dont have any of the latest ones myself.
Elízabéth Moren
Elízabéth Moren

Back to top Go down

Post by Quin Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:55 pm

I havent touched my wii in 2 years, my dog ate a nunchuck but I didnt care.
Now I quite badly want to try this however!
Quin
Quin

Back to top Go down

Post by Koroko Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:39 pm

Quin wrote:I havent touched my wii in 2 years, my dog ate a nunchuck but I didnt care.
Now I quite badly want to try this however!

Koroko wrote:aths) so more regulars for my hunting party is the aim of this post :)

Please do! I was in the same boat until MH Tri and NMH 2 arrived :)

And here's some beginner tips like I promised, the game has a good tutorial but here's some stuff they miss:

- Buy 5 pickaxes and 5 bug nets from the off. They'll allow you to gather stuff essential for weapons and armor, they break easily but you need 'em :)
- Use the starting funds to buy the full leather armor set from the armour/weapons vendor, don't bother crafting it via the materials. The skill bonuses will allow you to gather things almost twice as fast and the game sets out with giving you a bunch of very easy gathering missions.. nice combo eh?
- The farm is there to basically grind materials for you. As the game continues it will expand in size and variety.
- Some beginner combinations! (Blue Mushroom+Herb=Potion) (Potion+Honey=Mega Potion) (Spider Web+Ivy=Net) (Net+Trap Tool=Pitfall Trap)
- There is no bad weapon. They're all useful and just pick whatever you feel suits you most (or looks coolest.) You might want to leave the bowgun until later however as building/using them is somewhat complicated.
- I would recommend leaving the online mode alone until you reach the Qurupeco/Barroth stage. But don't ignore it forever as the progress is seperate - you don't wanna be doing everything again once you've beaten the game :)

Last edited by Koroko on Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:53 pm; edited 3 times in total
Koroko
Koroko

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristeas Sunbinder Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:46 pm

I'm partial to the great sword, especialy the swipe that hits a lot of things.
Oh, you can kick monsters, a kick + atack will stun some monsters. A deer like monster can be stunned and a valuable horn can be looted.

And in my opinion the gun is hardest to use.
Kristeas Sunbinder
Kristeas Sunbinder

Character sheet
Name: Kristeas Sunbinder
Title: Operative for Sin Belore

Back to top Go down

Post by Koroko Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:02 pm

I like the maces myself, pounding them in the face and knocking them out/stunning them is very satisfying Smile

For all the difficulty in using the other weapons, Longswords seem a bit EZ-Mode to me (that spirit combo is insane)
Koroko
Koroko

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down