Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The City Barracks

4 posters

Go down

Should Stormwind barracks buildings be shared or assigned?

The City Barracks Vote_lcap40%The City Barracks Vote_rcap 40% 
[ 8 ]
The City Barracks Vote_lcap55%The City Barracks Vote_rcap 55% 
[ 11 ]
The City Barracks Vote_lcap5%The City Barracks Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 20

Poll closed

The City Barracks Empty The City Barracks

Post by Mallucis Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:39 am

Greetings!

I have received news, that in/famous Stormwind Regiment is about to be brought from the dead. Because of this, as a person who was for a while in charge of the venues situated in the Old Town, I have been asked, who owns which building.

When Heldrik's King's Household Cavalry was still around we agreed, that it would be best if there was no: "single guild = single building policy," but rather each building would have a function. This way we have been using SI:7 (yellowish rooftop) building as enlisted grade's quarters and Intelligence qauerters, the Command Centre (blueish rooftop) building as officer's quarters and temporal arrest (according to tradition), and the Champion's Hall (the one with PvPish vendors) as the new command centre. The choice was simple: Officer's Quarters are foll of trophies on the wall and look like a knight hall, Elisted Grade's Quarters and the Intelligence is much bigger and can hold more people, and the new Command Centre is closer to the streets (it's unlikely for citizens without a warrant to entre the barracks, so this way they are not wandering around the training field or the jail).

However, as due to my recent absence in the game, the Ninth is temporarily focused around Westbrook, so without Naroma and his Theatre of Blood (which was invited by myself to use the Intelligence quarters - I've never seen them there), and King's Household Cavalry being disbanded, there is currently none who could hold claims for the zone.

The reborn Stormwind Regiment will likely nest there. So, this thread is to make this simple check: do you think such places should be shared (as proposed above) or parcelled out? We all know, that very often a guild has it's place, like Holy Lightbringers still holding the former Argent Dawn venue, or Disciples of Light hanging around the City Hall. In these cases, however, there is little argue, because it's unlikely for Argent Dawn being brought back as a faction and there is no guild that would roleplay Stormwind's magistrate (with a mayor/president and an army of clerks).

What's your opinion on this? Just please, spare me arguments like: "people will never agree to anything," "I don't like it," or "I prefer cheese."

My former intention behind distributing functions to these buildings was certainly to avoid the situation, when such area that is always in the interest of many guilds is divided. Lorewise each military serving in Stormwind must be in it's army. And in each army these are not buildings that make units independent, but the chain of command.
Mallucis
Mallucis

Character sheet
Name: Aramal Blackstone
Title: Knight of Stormwind, Lord of Blackwood

http://mallucis.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

The City Barracks Empty Re: The City Barracks

Post by Zackarn Yorelas Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:46 am

I think the building should be shared, with a bi-weekly event designed to bring the various guard orders together for joint "Training" in -how to- guard, to create a consensus for behaviour and procedure so a degree of consistency and communication is maintained.

I Imagen that will do some good toward allowing us to ICly share the buildings functionality as a Guard HQ

(Will be bringing this idea up at the next Stormwind Council)
Zackarn Yorelas
Zackarn Yorelas

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by siegmund Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:03 am

It's probably gonna depent on how people talk it out but I don't think there should be a problem with people sharing things. For DoL I know it does not really claim the city hall, use it now and then probably but nothing extreme far as I know.

Charlie, Zelium or RichardBanks I belive are the main idea to bring SWregiment back, so if you really want to go into a deep discusion about it all I supose you'd have to poke em.
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Naroma Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:42 pm

I think its important to avoid claims to single buildings as something directly owned by a single organisation. At times players make use of these buildings as one off locations, temporary meeting spots and so on, and it can discourage roleplay if someone is told to leave somewhere because 'X' reason because the building belongs to 'Y', when a majority of guilds might just want to use somewhere as it best suits the need of the current situation.

With this in mind I don't think its a bad idea for them to be labelled as primary locations for guilds, but to not stifle others, or to tell people where they can and can't go.

An example with the Theatre as you gave us a mention, when our storylines bring us to Stormwind and/or the Eastern Kingdoms, the most logical place for a confidential meeting point for us would be SI:7. Though we don't want an actual claim on the building or ownership, just the ability to use the spot. As I'm sure other military types use various buildings to suit the need of their roleplay.

Its a good idea to represent a chain of command, but I'd like to hear some thoughts how this can be made inclusive for those newer to the roleplay scene, up and coming guilds, and generally for people who don't necessarily use DefiasRP, as I for one have seen many new players getting hooked into the roleplaying scene.
Naroma
Naroma

Character sheet
Name: Naroma Herandir
Title: Master Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mallucis Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:42 am

I don't mean to own a place. It's rather a logical thing, that an unit, that both is rooted into Stormwind military tradition and has been given the guard rights could be privileged to use this particular zone, as it is meant for such roleplay. I'd still, as on officer, block an unauthorised entry to the yard without a proper warrant. But if someone is the owner of them it'd be the King as the supreme leader of the army.

When it comes to the chain of command it's quite simple: a private is under a sergeant's command, so a lieutenant cannot really gives orders to the private, as he should to the sergeant, who then passes it to his private, etc.
So, no matter who uses a building, he is obliged to listen only to his superior officer or grade. And those are officers who should have some responsibilities connected with their position, not just a fancy title. Being superior in an army is not about power. It's about keeping one's men disciplined, well trained, and alive.
The other thing connected to it is that, let's take an example: Aramal cannot be given orders by any officer of the same rank from a different unit (or even from a higher officer from a different unit). As a captain/commander he would go under a minister's command, if he was given the authority by the Council (lorewisely there should be an officer supervising this entire unit, but we never had such a structure of the army to ever see any general or marshal IC).
Mallucis
Mallucis

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Naroma Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:18 am

Sounds good to me if it's simply a case of designating areas.

I assume it might be handy for involved parties to ensure ranks are recorded in TRP and such, purely for visibility and so approaching role players can have an idea who they're dealing with if they might not know.

I like the idea or a more structured stormwind guard/military unit, more so if it encourages more inter guild rp, and gives the community a solid go to regarding IC guard/military matters.

Will there be a forum post containing what decisions are reached, and who will be where and so on?
Naroma
Naroma

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Mallucis Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:40 am

Naroma, if you visit [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] you will learn, that we have such a structure since the beginning.

I myself and some of my men are using TRP3 tooltip icon and item slots to show the military rank and a badge, as well as it is represented by the very guild rank of a member.
Mallucis
Mallucis

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Naroma Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:41 pm

That's great stuff, and I know the ninth are well structured as a guard unit, it will be nice to see those who also go for the 'guard rights' path to merge in with the same structure somewhat.

I strayed off topic anyway, but thanks for the replies.
Naroma
Naroma

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down