Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gnomes and faith

+16
Ataris
Nathiniós
Gahalla
Magaskawee/Anaei
Jazzle
Sanara
Gesh
Cid
Tso/Feloreth
Lilenath/Ilynaeth
Shaelyssa
Zinkle Figgins
Raelo/Lucanor
Kristeas Sunbinder
Saevir
Skarre
20 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Gnomes and faith - Page 2 Empty Re: Gnomes and faith

Post by Kristeas Sunbinder Wed May 26, 2010 9:55 am

There are several different religions where gods are mortal in certain ways.
Some religions have it as the starts that that and that god sacreficed himself for something to this and this could happen.
Kristeas Sunbinder
Kristeas Sunbinder

Character sheet
Name: Kristeas Sunbinder
Title: Operative for Sin Belore

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathiniós Wed May 26, 2010 9:59 am

Ataris wrote:To my knowledge there is only one real "God" in the Warcraft universe and that's Elune, who has never made a real appearance in person, so to speak.

I think Elune did make a few appearences in the early days of Kaldorei civilisation, and during the War of the Ancients. But I could be wrong there.
The Troll Loa are also "true" gods in the same sense as Elune, if I remember correctly.
Nathiniós
Nathiniós

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Wed May 26, 2010 9:59 am

Oh! You should totally steal the Space Marine religion! They believe in some sort of machine spirit which lives in their AI. That would be awesome, Gnomes preaching about a Machine God.

- Cake.
Mike
Mike

http://www.bruinsmamusic.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Shaelyssa Wed May 26, 2010 10:09 am

Nathiniós wrote:
Ataris wrote:To my knowledge there is only one real "God" in the Warcraft universe and that's Elune, who has never made a real appearance in person, so to speak.

I think Elune did make a few appearences in the early days of Kaldorei civilisation, and during the War of the Ancients. But I could be wrong there.
The Troll Loa are also "true" gods in the same sense as Elune, if I remember correctly.

No, She (capital S!!) never showed Herself. She's described as being incorporeal anyways.

Taken from the WoW encyclopedia:

Elune has never been observed in physical form on Azeroth. Indeed, she is as much a collection of ideals as she is a personality in her own right. A powerful and spiritual deity, she is fundamentally an incorporeal being.

EDIT: Actually, sorry. You might be right. I haven't read Demon / Dragon / Whatever Soul so perhaps whatshisface decided to make the elusive and great Goddess of the Elune, show Herself and make Her into a danceonmailboxnelf.

Last edited by Shaelyssa on Wed May 26, 2010 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Shaelyssa
Shaelyssa

Character sheet
Name: Shaelyssa Bladesinger
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Jazzle Wed May 26, 2010 10:27 am

I'm just going to go ahead and say...

Gnome's being religious. /facepalm.
Jazzle
Jazzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Gesh Wed May 26, 2010 11:44 am

Jazzle wrote:I'm just going to go ahead and say...

Not every gnome is a goggle wearing mad scientist with obscene intelligence stereotype. <Slaps>

It's not wrong to be hopeful and inessence have faith in good. Razz Hence Priests.
Gesh
Gesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathiniós Wed May 26, 2010 12:38 pm

Nathiniós wrote:.
And since Gnomes are rather intelligent creatures, it's not a stretch for to see them intellectually reasoning for why they should wield and/or pray to the Light etc.

Just think about for a moment and it isn't as facepalm worthy.
Nathiniós
Nathiniós

Back to top Go down

Post by Jazzle Wed May 26, 2010 1:23 pm

I'll go ahead and facepalm whatever I damn well want! FOR DA' WARCH--

...High Tinker*.
Jazzle
Jazzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Jazzle Wed May 26, 2010 1:25 pm

Madel/Vectoria/Koblitz wrote:

Not every gnome is a goggle wearing mad scientist with obscene intelligence stereotype. <Slaps>

It's not wrong to be hopeful and inessence have faith in good. Razz Hence Priests.

And yes, Gnomes don't have to be intelligent... Exhibit A: Bringels Bring.

And I don't wear goggles! I wear a monocle...
Jazzle
Jazzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Gesh Wed May 26, 2010 1:45 pm

Don't want, don't play 8D!

I don't intend to roll a gnome priest personally 'cause I'm feeling the horde more and the idea of a new goblin model priest to.

Though if gnome paladins were introduced on the other hand.. 
Gesh
Gesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Jazzle Wed May 26, 2010 1:46 pm

Then you'd would play one, but adopt Human personalities to it, so it can become another clichèd clergy servant?! Very Happy
Jazzle
Jazzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Raelo/Lucanor Wed May 26, 2010 2:26 pm

Mike wrote:Oh! You should totally steal the Space Marine religion! They believe in some sort of machine spirit which lives in their AI. That would be awesome, Gnomes preaching about a Machine God.

- Cake.

I think this kinda sums up the general mistake in this topic. What Jazzle's defending isn't that all gnomes are engineers and have something with technology. It isn't just the machines, it's the way they look at things in general. Gnomes are originally robots designed to improve and repair things, their mind is focussed finding solutions with the things they have and the things they can get. To worship someone or something just doesn't fit in, to a gnome worshipping would probably be a quite useless practise. Why all this mysticism of prayers and churches when you could instead try to see what those light powers really are? Don't pray to them but find out about their origins and their uses! You can serve someone or you could use something, but worship's just not something that a gnome is apt to do. Now I'm not saying it's impossible for a gnome to worship things, but I think it wouldn't be probable.
Raelo/Lucanor
Raelo/Lucanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Jazzle Wed May 26, 2010 3:40 pm

Muspel wrote:
Mike wrote:Oh! You should totally steal the Space Marine religion! They believe in some sort of machine spirit which lives in their AI. That would be awesome, Gnomes preaching about a Machine God.

- Cake.

I think this kinda sums up the general mistake in this topic. What Jazzle's defending isn't that all gnomes are engineers and have something with technology. It isn't just the machines, it's the way they look at things in general. Gnomes are originally robots designed to improve and repair things, their mind is focussed finding solutions with the things they have and the things they can get. To worship someone or something just doesn't fit in, to a gnome worshipping would probably be a quite useless practise. Why all this mysticism of prayers and churches when you could instead try to see what those light powers really are? Don't pray to them but find out about their origins and their uses! You can serve someone or you could use something, but worship's just not something that a gnome is apt to do. Now I'm not saying it's impossible for a gnome to worship things, but I think it wouldn't be probable.

Muspel, I want to bed you. Smile
Jazzle
Jazzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Gesh Wed May 26, 2010 3:44 pm

<Cough> Gnome Twilight Cultists, <Cough>

I still stand by my idea of a gnome paladin and I'll beat the crap out of anyone who disagrees! Big heroics in small packages.
Gesh
Gesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Jazzle Wed May 26, 2010 3:50 pm

Madel, I'd like to see you try. You see... I doubt some idiotic, deluded - Oh, and most importantly - INCREDIBALLY HUMAN Gnome could 'beat the crap' out of a Gnome of logic, sense, and arcanic pew-pew.
Jazzle
Jazzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Gesh Wed May 26, 2010 3:51 pm

Razz Yes because, Gnomes lack emotion which is what the light is built upon. 

<COUGH>
Gesh
Gesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristeas Sunbinder Wed May 26, 2010 3:52 pm

No matter how much we (all other races) hate humans, those bastards always find a way to cause maximum destruction Neutral
Kristeas Sunbinder
Kristeas Sunbinder

Character sheet
Name: Kristeas Sunbinder
Title: Operative for Sin Belore

Back to top Go down

Post by Jazzle Wed May 26, 2010 3:52 pm

...What. The Light is based on idiocy, folly, and unneccessary faith in an already proven diety.
Jazzle
Jazzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Gesh Wed May 26, 2010 3:54 pm

The priests don't worship a god, they worship the way of the light and how by being good, you become powerful in the ways of it. Read up on your lore D:<!

And no, the Naaru aren't worshipped by all light peeps. not as gods atleast.
Gesh
Gesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Jazzle Wed May 26, 2010 4:04 pm

How the hell can you worship a way of life? You can follow a way of life, but not WORSHIP it.
Jazzle
Jazzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Gesh Wed May 26, 2010 4:05 pm

...<Slaps> Budhism. Humanism. 
Gesh
Gesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Jazzle Wed May 26, 2010 4:08 pm

To be honest, I think any form of religion, WoW related or in real life, is silly and does little more than deter advancement in fields such as science and technology. So, no matter what you say, I'm still going to find Gnome Priests as logical as a soup sandwich.

Maybe all of the stupid and unintellectual Gnomes can become priests, hm? That'd make sense.
Jazzle
Jazzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathiniós Wed May 26, 2010 4:10 pm

God damn it Jazzle. Stop making an ass of yourself by throwing around atheist arguments in a world where gods, demigods and whatever the hell of other supernatural creatures we can murder are observable and provable by the worlds own ingame science.

Now calm down and let's have a rational discussion about it instead.
Nathiniós
Nathiniós

Back to top Go down

Post by Magaskawee/Anaei Wed May 26, 2010 4:15 pm

Well, think of it this way. If a gnome has lived in Stormwind for so long, maybe they simply thought there was worth in the light? Maybe those in Northrend witnessed how light incarnate being Ashbringer took down the Lich King and were filled with a sense of hope.

THe Titans are not a theology. They are proved. What's stopping the gnomes that really want to believe in something greater believing in it? Any race can control and use the light. YOu just require the will to do it.
Magaskawee/Anaei
Magaskawee/Anaei

Character sheet
Name: Magaskawee Grimtotem
Title: Elder Crone of the Banner of the Bloodhoof

Back to top Go down

Post by Jazzle Wed May 26, 2010 4:18 pm

*Looks at Nathinios*
*Blinks*
*Uses Splash*
*No effect*

Of course you can integrate athiest arguments into WoW. Elune's existence in a physical manifestation hasn't been proven as of yet, nor has the Light been proven sentient.

You can apply athiesm to anything which involves faith. Humanity in WoW isn't entirely sure about the Light's origins, but they have a theory based on faith rather than concrete evidence, so it's rational to deny that faith for something which makes more sense. In my Gnome's case, treating the Light as an energy wave which can only be distilled through Humans by triggering a human hormone stimulus which can be triggered by doing 'good'. Abit complex, but I go by it.

A discussion normally has two sides to it, so if you expect everyone to go 'Awh, pwetty churches and shiny robed midgits :>' then you're disapointed. I stick to the fact that Gnomes are too logical to apply themselves to any religion.

And Anaei, you have a point, I suppose it is possible for Gnomes to become attracted to the Light, especially after the War and living in Stormwind for a period of time...

And although I would still be annoyed if Gnomes converted to Titan worship, I could deal with that. I suppose that could make vague sense. Whereas if they started worshiping the Light in the same way Humans do... well, that'd just be silly in my opinion.
Jazzle
Jazzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next