Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DB Anthology

+5
Elízabéth Moren
Ataris
Cathee Norris
Lavian
Kozgugore Feraleye
9 posters

Go down

DB Anthology Empty DB Anthology

Post by Kozgugore Feraleye Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:37 pm

I know we're in very early stages with these forums, but I was wondering whether anyone here can still remember the old DB Anthology forums.

This used to be a similar RP forum for all DB members to share their stories on, which has long since died out. Perhaps we can take a few examples from there? For example, I always thought the idea that everyone would have his own sub-forum for his story-spamming to be quite nice.

Go on ahead and take a look!

http://dbanthology.proboards.com/index.cgi
Kozgugore Feraleye
Kozgugore Feraleye

http://www.orcsoftheredblade.co.uk

Back to top Go down

DB Anthology Empty Re: DB Anthology

Post by Lavian Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:42 pm

I approve you smelly greenskin.
Lavian
Lavian

Character sheet
Name: Lavian
Title: Dread Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Cathee Norris Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:58 pm

I think it's a good idea also, however in this case I would make a sub-forum for each person not only for storymaking, but also if they want pictures there, just to try and minimize the size of it all.

Would like a few more comments regarding this though before we set this as a deal.
Cathee Norris
Cathee Norris

Character sheet
Name: Cathee Piner
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ataris Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:09 pm

I would keep a section for characterization purely. Too many sections makes it very messy to browse through.

Just let everyone have a personal topic where they can put stories, pictures and everything IMO.

Makes the forum look more busy too and requires a lot less maintenance in case the moderators don't have time to keep check of everything.

Another alternative is to make a forum subsection with it's own subsection so that at least you aren't spammed with 80 subforums on the front page. Would be nice if the main sections get the highlight so to speak.
Ataris
Ataris

Character sheet
Name: Ataris the Soulblighter
Title: Darkmaster of the Dark Sphere

Back to top Go down

Post by Elízabéth Moren Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:11 pm

I agree with Ataris.
Elízabéth Moren
Elízabéth Moren

Back to top Go down

Post by Cathee Norris Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:13 pm

Ataris wrote:Another alternative is to make a forum subsection with it's own subsection so that at least you aren't spammed with 80 subforums on the front page. Would be nice if the main sections get the highlight so to speak.

Was thinking something along those lines yeah, want to keep the main page as clean as possible. A "Character Stories" forum with sub-forums could work, and I might add a Moderation forum later that will only be seen by moderators to keep an active and open conversation as to let each moderator know if there is spam, or not accepted behavior from someone.
Cathee Norris
Cathee Norris

Character sheet
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ataris Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:18 pm

When it comes to the moderation issues.

If we do choose to use subforums for each character, everytime someone new arrives we'd need a moderator to create a new subforum for that character. Thus we'd need more moderation. It's not huge, but if the moderators decide to go inactive for a period the site will effectively die on that part.
Ataris
Ataris

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Cathee Norris Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:25 pm

No worries there though, we'll make sure to have 5-10 moderators or so, and have a thread in a made moderator forum saying when someone is going to be away for certain times. As long as people notify, it should be fine.
Cathee Norris
Cathee Norris

Character sheet
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kozgugore Feraleye Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:54 pm

Obviously, the front page ought to be different, heh. Always thought it looked a little cluttered on the DBA forums. Reckon it ought to be good to see how much interested there'd be for it to begin with, but I agree that sub-forums would work best.
Kozgugore Feraleye
Kozgugore Feraleye

Back to top Go down

Post by Gogol Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:41 am

What we did on Anathology was exactly that each player/character that wished a subforum was given one- as it was really no big hassle.

They got the moderator status over that very one, so they them self could keep it neat and tidy.
Very little effort for us moderators, very appreciated by everyone.
You get to "keep your own room clean"- mentality.

And of course, whenever the urge came upon someone of the main-mods they could just scam through it all quikly to see nothing naughty was up.

Just a say how we used to do it back in the days when everything was much better, food was free and beer was on tap.
Gogol
Gogol

Back to top Go down

Post by Cathee Norris Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:51 am

That's how we do it on the KoA forum also, and I think it works pretty well. But indeed, their forums will be sub-forums so that they aren't shown on the main-site, making it look massive.
Cathee Norris
Cathee Norris

Character sheet
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ataris Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:52 am

Sounds good. ^^
Ataris
Ataris

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by avaiel Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:21 pm

Kozgugore Feraleye wrote:I know we're in very early stages with these forums, but I was wondering whether anyone here can still remember the old DB Anthology forums.

This used to be a similar RP forum for all DB members to share their stories on, which has long since died out. Perhaps we can take a few examples from there? For example, I always thought the idea that everyone would have his own sub-forum for his story-spamming to be quite nice.

I didn't know about this forum until just now, but to be honest... Giving everyone a sub-forum for their characters would kill a lot of the community feel to a forum.
Why? Well, the first thing I thought when I visited that url. was: "wow, those are a lot of sub-forums. There's no way I'll browse through all of that" which in turn would make me only open the few sub-forums that caught my interest. Such as a specific person I am following. I certainly wouldn't bother browsing every sub-forum to check if there was something that could interest me.

Now you might be thinking: "People do that anyway.."
To answer this. Yes they do. However the main difference between the two models is, if I were to occasionally check in on the story forums, some of the titles on the posts there might catch my interest, as opposed to some character name I've no idea who is. (Which would be the case with sub-forums)

It's true that there will be more posts in a clutter if you put them all in the story forum, but if one was interested in a specific person's stories, you could easily use the search function to find the posts from that user. So there would be no point in personalized sub-forums?

Also, as I touched upon earlier, there are several options already available if you really want something like a personalized space to gather up all your stories. Some of which include:

• Create a blog
  • Keep all your stories under the same topic, the first post being an index linking to the replies to said topic containing (chapters?) posts.
  • Using search functions to find stories of interest.

Another issue is whether or not sub-forums for individualization really would create a more manageable browse experience. From what I see on the other forum, the list of sub-forums lets you scroll down quite far. It would take a while to look through them all.

Another issue to touch upon is page load times. Now I realize this may not be an issue for people with a great connection, as long as the server isn't overworked. However there are still people with slower connections for whom it would take a while to bring up the forums if they had to load up all those sub-forums every time they visited.

In conclusion I believe it to be a bad idea. I think it would render a lot of the community feel to a forum mute, as sub-forum division would make the overall site seem more like a collection of blogs than a forum.
avaiel
avaiel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Agreed with the person above me. Forums and subforums should look neat and small, seeing how this is a roleplaying community and people adore massive posts.

Besides, some people (like me) are too lazy to care about reading a 200-page story about a character they don't (want to) know.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayan Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:31 pm

Marrenus wrote:Besides, some people (like me) are too lazy to care about reading a 200-page story about a character they don't (want to) know.
...don't click on their story? Wink

PS:
Class: Shaman
Race: Human
*eyebrowarch*
Nayan
Nayan

Character sheet
Name: Nayan of the Frostmanes
Title: Primal of Bethekk

http://s1.zetaboards.com/Heritage/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kozgugore Feraleye Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:44 pm

I think part of the reason to implement them on those old forums was -because- not everyone would read up on every single character's history, it would be easier to give everyone their own sub-forum space to dump their stories on. In a sub-forum, it would give a far neater look compared to throwing them all into one cluttered topic. It makes the search far more difficult if you were looking for a specific part of that character's stories, except if you would make the first post in every single topic an index post.

I'm not sure if you have yet seen these sub-forums on the current forums here, but when you look at them here, it's all neatly hidden in its parent forum (called "The Library" here). I honestly doubt loading that page would take any longer than loading any random post here that would include people's avatars and pictures, so that argument seemed a little... strange, no offence.

When you look at the character forums as they are now, they look perfectly neat to me. I think it would look a lot more cluttered if everyone were to throw their life stories on the same forum on which everyone else would post other, far smaller posts, and they would get lost in it far easier, leading up to the point on which people start forgetting about its existence (which would be a bit of a shame in some cases, I'd say). People wouldn't be able to search for a particular story because they wouldn't even know it would exist - and I doubt making every single person's life story or the like a sticky would solve things either.

It makes for a perfect alternative for those people who haven't got the means or time to make a blog, not to mention I very much doubt people would visit such blogs very often. If people aren't interested in others' life stories or the like, then they can at least easily scroll away from them. I doubt posting all of them on one forum on which a Horde player wouldn't read any of the Alliance players and vice versa would make things any different.
Kozgugore Feraleye
Kozgugore Feraleye

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:00 pm

Class: Shaman
Race: Human
*eyebrowarch*

Wasn't it a roleplaying forum? xD

Back to top Go down

Post by (Goggy) - Exilius Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:16 pm

Avaiel wrote:
Kozgugore Feraleye wrote:I know we're in very early stages with these forums, but I was wondering whether anyone here can still remember the old DB Anthology forums.

I didn't know about this forum until just now, but to be honest... Giving everyone a sub-forum for their characters would kill a lot of the community feel to a forum.
Why? Well, the first thing I thought when I visited that url. was: "wow, those are a lot of sub-forums. There's no way I'll browse through all of that" which in turn would make me only open the few sub-forums that caught my interest. Such as a specific person I am following. I certainly wouldn't bother browsing every sub-forum to check if there was something that could interest me.

Now you might be thinking: "People do that anyway.."
To answer this. Yes they do. However the main difference between the two models is, if I were to occasionally check in on the story forums, some of the titles on the posts there might catch my interest, as opposed to some character name I've no idea who is. (Which would be the case with sub-forums)

It's true that there will be more posts in a clutter if you put them all in the story forum, but if one was interested in a specific person's stories, you could easily use the search function to find the posts from that user. So there would be no point in personalized sub-forums?

Also, as I touched upon earlier, there are several options already available if you really want something like a personalized space to gather up all your stories. Some of which include:

• Create a blog
  • Keep all your stories under the same topic, the first post being an index linking to the replies to said topic containing (chapters?) posts.
  • Using search functions to find stories of interest.

Another issue is whether or not sub-forums for individualization really would create a more manageable browse experience. From what I see on the other forum, the list of sub-forums lets you scroll down quite far. It would take a while to look through them all.

Another issue to touch upon is page load times. Now I realize this may not be an issue for people with a great connection, as long as the server isn't overworked. However there are still people with slower connections for whom it would take a while to bring up the forums if they had to load up all those sub-forums every time they visited.

In conclusion I believe it to be a bad idea. I think it would render a lot of the community feel to a forum mute, as sub-forum division would make the overall site seem more like a collection of blogs than a forum.

Pretty much sums it up, I agree with this fellow, Heck, if you really do want to make some individualisation, then create a Race forum to discuss things relevant to those racial roleplayers and stories contected or a Alliance/Horde one. :3
(Goggy) - Exilius
(Goggy) - Exilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Kozgugore Feraleye Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:27 pm

I still don't see how throwing them all in one messy forum would beat sub-forums that make it easier for people to simply ignore, or on the other hand focus, on the stories they're not interested in. One of the main things that personally attracted me to the Anthology forums -was- in fact the ability to be able to read up on every individual character's story whenever I wanted to, without all too much fuss. It's not that hard to simply click past the sub-forums.
Kozgugore Feraleye
Kozgugore Feraleye

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum