Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eclipse

Go down

Eclipse Empty Eclipse

Post by Calisar Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:40 pm

Some snippets of backstory and perspective on Cal based on in-game RP, starting back at the time of the IC Barrens campaign at the end of last year. Thought I would update them onto here at last Wink

Rolling the drink around, the amber liquid reflected flashes of light from the flickering hearth in the dark tavern, like a living jewel in the heavy glass. Chunks of ice bobbed and rolled on the surface, clinking together. Cal arched a brow, poking one delicately with a fingertip and glancing over to the human mage behind the bar. He was merrily tapping the side of any drink for a few coin.

"They have some uses then..." she sighed with enjoyment, savouring the cold bittersweet chill over her tastebuds.

Sipping slowly she gestured to the map unfurled in front of her. “So what news do we have?”

Adelaine uncoiled in her seat opposite, reaching across the small wooden table, jabbing in swift sure movements at the key points in the Southern Barrens.

"So far I’ve heard of forces here and here" her finger trailed a swooping arc across the map "no change around this area… Bitter fighting... here…"

The Druid settled back toying with her own glass, both gazes fixed on the last area pointed out. The hearth beside them crackled softly in the thoughtful silence.

"You really want to go there?"

That familiar look, eyebrow raised, half amused half scornful. Cal had long since learned to take such a harsh expression from her friend in her stride.

"Well no, not really. Who would? But there’s an officer meeting called in Ashenvale. We should be ready for the idea of being asked to go no?"

"We're not exactly fighters you and I... well you aren't". Again a mocking dismissive look, played down with a ghost of a smile on her lips.

A smile from Adelaine used to be a rare thing, Cal chuckled softly to herself and shrugged, grateful to be one of the few allowed past the defensive shield Ade had built up for herself.

"Exactly why we'd be going!" Cal learned forward, lowering her voice.

"Imagine they send a Sentinel force? They might not be so open or trusting of it yes? What harm in a diplomat, a simple healer travelling with her guide and friend, arriving to offer a little care to the wounded? If we happen to hear of any hidden plans and are able to report back then that must be tried for. Maelmoor will be somewhere around there too, and we can rely on him... use him at least."

Cal settled back, thinking on the human, shifting her gaze under the sudden scrutiny of her friend. "Anyway" she mumbled "let us first see what the Keeper wants, his summons seemed urgent."

"Alright, we travel tonight?" Ade shifted, making to stand and leave.

Cal grimaced waving her back down, "can I not finish this first?" she looked mournfully at her glass. "You know how expensive this is?"

Adelaine peered across the table to the half-full bottle nestled amongst the maps and rolled her eyes, curling back into her chair, her voice clipped and stern. "The ship doesn't leave Stormwind harbour for another hour, I guess you can. Just leave the bottle here though hmm?"

Cal settled back delighted, propping her feet up on the maps. Giant bare dusty feet looming over the tiny inked city of Ironforge.

"You're turning into one them you know?" Adelaine smirked, gesturing with a graceful hand at the human clientele bustling and chatting around them.

"I fear I am you know?" Cal grinned rolling up one sleeve pointing to a tan line, "have you seen this, outrageous isn't it? I'm working on a powder to hide it, but.. tsk!" She shook her head, flicking the sleeve down again.

"My system is shot to be honest", Cal waved her glass around carelessly as she spoke, Ade watching it with darting impatient eyes like a cat. "But walking these streets in the sun is preferable to walking them at night I tell you! All the decent folk here are fast asleep at the hour I used to wake anyway."

"At least you can change your form" Cal eyed Adelaine enviously, knocking back the last of the delicious alcohol. Ah... to be a druid, bitter memories fluttered at the edge of her mind for a moment. Washed away and sunk down with the last of the icy drink...

"If you think you have felt the fire of the sun", Ade chided, "just wait until you are in the furnace of the barren lands."

Cal placed her glass down firmly, nodding to Ade as the druid collected together the maps spread around them. She reached discreetly for the bottle, hiding it in her satchel with one easy movement, grinning innocently as the Druid turned back around ready to leave.

"It's a long trip we're on Sister, come now... let's not delay!" Ade rolled her eyes and followed as they stepped out into the night, to the harbour... and then to Ashenvale!
Calisar
Calisar

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Eclipse Empty Re: Eclipse

Post by Calisar Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:41 pm

Two Kaldorei were seen travelling through the small outlying camps of the Alliance forces in the Northern Barrens some nights later. Haggling with local guards to secure the use of a pair of horses and riding with some trepidation on the strange beasts further south, determined to fulfil the mission they had been given

Adelaine kicked over the charred ruins of the encampment with her toe, with an expression that read "they're fighting over this?" A soft plume of ash and smoke swirled low to the ground around her as they both squinted their eyes, taking in the scene.

They had tried looping south around the sounds of combat, travelling out of the harsh sun where possible. Ade's horse was a wobbly chestnut mare, rather too old and slow for her liking, but it saved her strength and the creature was more amiable than Cal's horse which was a rangy twitchy beast.

It was a relief to finally leave the horses behind though after long hours of riding. Both women unhitching their belongings having reigned up amongst the ruined tents.

By the looks of things, the camp had been recently reclaimed, injured soldiers dotted the ground in various states of distress, with tired officers barking orders to reinforce the perimeter and tend to the wounded.

A familiar voice rang out from what used to be a grand firepit, "Could all healers and medics gather here please... you've work to do".

Ade arched a brow and shouldered her belongings, nodding to Cal "I'll have a look around then" with that she stepped silently away, weaving between the soldiers to cast a critical eye over their new temporary home.

With the old Paladin too busy to talk, Cal rolled up her sleeves, turning her attention away from Maelmoor over to a pair sat nearby. "hm... Can I help?" It looked like the Worgen was holding his arm together, a bloody mess.

"Can you stitch?" his Draenei companion drawled to Cal, offering her a needle "verry good, you holdink still now Bakar".

The Worgen did as bid and grit his teeth with each careful puncture of the needle. Just think of it as leather, stitching fabric, careful and clean that's the way, Cal grimaced to herself, muttering in Darnassian as she worked. The Draenei eyed the work approvingly and patted her friend on the back "Just vait, zis' cream will 'urt like a bahz-tid".

Cal wiped slippery bloody hands against a ripped piece of cloth, shaking her head as the Draenei swabbed the poor creatures arm with antiseptic. Twitching her ears at the sudden pitiful howl that followed.

There were plenty of injured to help with, and some time later Cal felt a tap on her shoulder. Surprised to see a reluctant Maelmoor drawing her away, wishing to talk in the shadows. "Could you look at my arm too?". He winced as he spoke and Cal wondered at the need for privacy, did the old man not want to be seen to be wounded?

She offered a loop of silk around his neck torn from her cloak as a sling, and a prescription to keep the joint aligned and strapped up for the timebeing. "We've got to keep you whole at least yes?" He nodded his thanks admitting he had no time to talk now, but soon, she smiled at the prospect. One of the few friendly faces in a nest of strangers.

Adelaine had chosen a quiet spot for them to the edge of the camp, offering some sparse shade. Settling there later Cal pondered their position. It was a strange feeling, like arriving at a card game with no hand to gamble with. What angle can they play here? Best to wait, and to watch, and to keep their friends to the North informed.
Calisar
Calisar

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down