Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

/yell

+8
Swan Emperor Arenfel
Cathee Norris
Littlepip
Coppersocket
siegmund
Izzifix
Ixirar
erwtenpeller
12 posters

Go down

/yell Empty /yell

Post by Littlepip Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:45 pm

Okay, this is something that has annoyed me slightly while roleplaying, this might still be a problem for the criminals of stormwind and be the reason for them being arrested all the time.

/yell

Thats right, when you yell in Stormwind everyone in Stormwind can read it OOC, however you shouldn't hear it IC here is why..
Stormwind is suppose to hold over 200,000 citizens, so the city is very.. Very big! There are people crawling on the streets everywhere, yelling and talking and discussing with each others. So lets say I yell for help outside the shady lady.

/yell [Thovald]: (Outside the Shady lady) Help I'm being robed!

Now, I hope you see the logic behind it, you can't possibly hear that all the way to Old town when over 200,000 people are talking at the same time!

However, if your robbing someone in the middle of the street you will attract a lot of attention from by passers and stationed guards so your pretty much dooming yourself with over 50 witnesses at the same time if you do that.

By the way, the docs can actually hold over 500 ships at the same time, the alliance fleet is over 20,000 ships strong so that place is pretty big. Remember that Stormwind, like any other places in Wow, is much bigger then we actually get to see because the limit of the game.
Littlepip
Littlepip

Character sheet
Name: Littlepip
Title: Runemage

http://the-adventures-of-roleplay.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

/yell Empty Re: /yell

Post by erwtenpeller Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:54 pm

I'm sorry, but I find it much more practical in day-to-day role-play to just take things as they come to me. If  I can read a yell in my chat-log, I'm going to treat it as if my character can hear it.

It's just easier that way - And less prone to confusion and, eventually, the drama that follows.

Last edited by erwtenpeller on Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:10 am; edited 1 time in total
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ixirar Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:08 am

erwtenpeller wrote:I'm sorry, but I find it much more practical in day-to-day role-play to just take things as they come to me. If  I can read a yell in my chat-log, I'm going to treat it as if my character can hear it.

It's just easier that way - And less prone to confusion and, eventually, the drama.
Ixirar
Ixirar

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzifix Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:24 am

I try to separate the ways my characters yell into: "/y" and "/s: [loud]" or "/s: [shouting]" to avoid debates of meta/not etc.

Of these, I use "/y" pretty rarely, and usually consider it the command voice of military officers in combat etc. Really loud on purpose, requiring a lot of air.

Izzifix

Back to top Go down

Post by Littlepip Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:36 am

Personally I use Yell rarely, and if I should use it in Stormwind I write something like..

/yell [Thorvald]: (Bridgelancer bridge) Light! Regiment, help! Corpse in the water!

That way only a few people should hear me and they know if they should hear me.
Littlepip
Littlepip

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by siegmund Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:00 am

/y < GUNSHIOTE >
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Coppersocket Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:26 am

/y
Coppersocket
Coppersocket

Character sheet
Name: Mineral Coppersocket
Title: Street Sweeper, Jeweler

Back to top Go down

Post by Littlepip Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:08 am

/yell Yell-classroom
Littlepip
Littlepip

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Cathee Norris Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:30 am

Just so you know, the entire city can't hear a yell even OOC Razz The yell only reach a few hundred yards, so ICly hearing a /y is pretty fair to take IC tbh. If you don't want anyone but your imidiate surrounding to hear you, use /s. I'm not sure why this even needs discussing? It's quite obvious.
Cathee Norris
Cathee Norris

Character sheet
Name: Cathee Piner
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Swan Emperor Arenfel Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:17 pm

I could be totally wrong, but if you yell round-about the Shady Lady then nobody can see the yell as you progress towards the back of Old Town.

This is such a nitpicky thing to complain about, chat-range itself is pretty damned wide so if you want to produce a shout why not just add the prefix [Loud] to your /s?
Swan Emperor Arenfel
Swan Emperor Arenfel

Back to top Go down

Post by Rmuffn Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:07 pm

Try Gw2 for a couple of months and you'll see the range of /y on WoW isn't so bad, it's like.. Freedom, rather.
Rmuffn
Rmuffn

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ledgic Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:27 pm

Yeah. If you don't want roleplayers to react to potential roleplay, don't start making very blatant signs of it in a channel most people will see.

Yell is for yelling, and if we're going to take the whole "omg citizens everywhar!?!?!?!" into account for this, we best start zig zagging and falling over when we're walking around the city.

Them streets be bustlin' yo.
Ledgic
Ledgic

Character sheet
Name: Ledgic Kaden Caan
Title: Leader of The Old Town Syndicate

Back to top Go down

Post by Feral / Blackfall Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:43 pm

I /target, if I can't target the person, I assume I can't hear them (/yell covers the entire minimap). That's just how -I- choose to tackle it.
Feral / Blackfall
Feral / Blackfall

Back to top Go down

Post by Seranita Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:05 pm

my opinion if you dont want others to hear your yell dont use /y use [yelling] instead

problem solved
Seranita
Seranita

Character sheet
Name: Monrena
Title: Trainee Vindicator/engeneer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: