Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Runic Tournement.

+3
siegmund
Ixirar
Littlepip
7 posters

Go down

Should this become a roll event?

The Runic Tournement. Vote_lcap43%The Runic Tournement. Vote_rcap 43% 
[ 3 ]
The Runic Tournement. Vote_lcap43%The Runic Tournement. Vote_rcap 43% 
[ 3 ]
The Runic Tournement. Vote_lcap0%The Runic Tournement. Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
The Runic Tournement. Vote_lcap14%The Runic Tournement. Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 7

Poll closed

The Runic Tournement. Empty The Runic Tournement.

Post by Littlepip Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:14 pm

Greetings everyone, I have been given the responsibility to hold the Runic Tournament in AD and was hoping I could have some help from here. Also another notice, This isn't an advertisement! Just need some help with something in here and an opinion would be help full.

So the plan is that we use the top of the Archerus, the place seems awesome for an tournament for Death Knights and you can even teleport down from the top of it.
If you look from over it there will be five sections you can fight on the same time, 4 of them are rather enclosed and a little bit further down then the middle one.

I was hoping to use the middle section to something great, like a 2 vs, 2 battle or even larger then that.
Meanwhile the four sections on the bottom would be used to 1 vs, 1 battles.

In the guild we use a strange runic system that I won't even bother going into detail because its rather difficult to explain, except the simplest parts.

You start off as an imitative where you get three runes at the beginning, after doing a few quests with the guild you earn another rune, it continues like this until you have six runes, all of which has its own special ability from the spell book. Those are the only abilities you can use. After a while you get to upgrade the first three runes you got to.

Anyway! The point here is that the more quests you have done the more powerful you have become, I want this fight to be fair so that everyone has a chance of winning the battle, and lets be honest, if it isn't fair, everyone in AD starts arguing, that's how it works. *Coughs something about growing potions*

Anyway hope some of you could help me out on the event.. And for those wondering, yes its an emote battle.

Last edited by Thorvald on Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
Littlepip
Littlepip

Character sheet
Name: Littlepip
Title: Runemage

http://the-adventures-of-roleplay.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

The Runic Tournement. Empty Re: The Runic Tournement.

Post by Littlepip Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:14 pm

The Runic Tournement.

Event leader; Thorvald Winterbreath.
Assistant leader; Borlar, Anastasia and other Ambassadors.
Event on Friday the 10th January.

The event begins by greeting everyone to the event and all that, starting down in the bottom of the Archerus.

First round is rather simple, there will be six teams, each of them based on talents.
Blood vs, blood.
Unholy vs, unholy.
Frost vs, frost.

As you can see, players will be put into groups that contains their talent.

Their runic power will pay a major part of the group selection and will be shared equally between the groups to create what I'm hoping to be a fair fight.

If there is too many in one of the groups he or she can be placed as a reserve unit for later if one surrenders or is knocked out in that group, he can also chose to wait for the one versus one rounds which comes later on. If there is one reserve unit from each of the talent trees the three can, (if all agreed on it) have a duel between each other, the first round of it would be decided on who has the most runic power, the strongest one enters after one has lost.

[More might come later.]

The Unholy Rule book.

In Character rules.
1, If a brother or a sister surrenders, all combat is to stop and wait for the brother or sister to leave the arena.
2, If you are knocked out, fall out of the arena or are unable to continue to fight, you have lost and have to leave the arena.
3, Do not slay your brother or sister! This will not only lead to disqualification from the Tournament, you will also be arrested and possibly drained for your Runic energy, execution with other words.

Out of Character rules.
1, If you leave and don't do anything IC, it is assumed you have surrendered and left the group behind.
2, Be sporty, if you lost you have lost, no need to cry and get dramatic over it. You knew what you were getting into.
3, Its easy, I don't want anyone dying in this tournament causing drama and destroying everything! Killing a player with god emotes or killing someone IC even with the players permission is strictly forbidden in this event.
4, Overpower Rule
If one force outnumbers the other, no more than +2 members of the larger 'force A' over the size of the smaller 'force B' may attack until the numbers are equalized. Only two combatants may attack one target in a round, this can be ICly represented however you wish.

The Runic Tournement, Round two.

When everyone has fought against each other and only the strongest once has gone up the ranks its time to move on!

This next part will be more about single combat against each others, I'm still arguing if it all should go down at the same time or one at a time which is a major decision since that might mean it will last over the night if were really unlucky.

To make it really easy, I will be using Challonge, a free program where I can set up the tournament really quickly, which is always great.

Last edited by Thorvald on Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:35 pm; edited 5 times in total
Littlepip
Littlepip

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Ixirar Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:54 pm

If this is like a duelling event I'll come on my druid but don't except me to not piss people off royally with how I duel.
Ixirar
Ixirar

Back to top Go down

Post by siegmund Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:03 pm

Sounds more like some kind of emote battle if you ask me.
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Ixirar Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:23 pm

Well, shame. Typhoon makes for some amazing duels when fighting at areas like Archerus.
Ixirar
Ixirar

Back to top Go down

Post by Littlepip Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:11 am

And no, no dueling. Its purely emoting and no rolling.
Littlepip
Littlepip

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzifix Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:58 am

Add modifiers for the different tiers of power: /roll +modifer = result, where the initiates have a modifier of 0.

Izzifix

Back to top Go down

Post by Littlepip Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:38 pm

Wait.. Care to explain that one Berahnek? I didn't quite get it.

Also if anyone of you see anything that could be improved or that could go wrong, please tell me.
Littlepip
Littlepip

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by siegmund Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:51 pm

It won't be any rolling Dwy.
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Littlepip Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:01 pm

Round two has been written down, its simple and hopefully the best.. Its just that I need to decide if I should take one fight at the time or all of them to save time.
Littlepip
Littlepip

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzifix Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:05 pm

Emote fights between DKs without rolling? I'd stay five miles away from it. Every DK is an elite fighter by lore. Everyone will claim to win. ROLL for less drama.

Make each combat round based. All rounds include 1 turn for each party. Rolling for hits/misses. Modifiers so that the whiners can't claim it's ALL random. Rolls so that everyone has a fair chance.

Loss could be explained by losing too much necrotic energy to keep fighting without healing/necromancy if character death is uncool for the participants.

That's my 5c. But it's your event = Have it your way.

Izzifix

Back to top Go down

Post by Khendran Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:46 pm

1: Rolls. Not a second opinion about it in any large tournament. Going without rolls is fine for the odd, random brawl on the streets or a 1-on-1 match, but you'll have a lot of people participating (especially if you agree on my second point). Not only will it make things fair and equal, and add a feeling of suspense to it when you cannot be sure of the winner beforehand, but when you use some kind of HP limit, it'll limit the length of the fights. Honestly, DK vs DK? It'll go on. And on. And on. You'll end up spending the entire night in Acherus.

2: Make it a community event and allow everyone (or every DK) participate instead of just watching. I saw your thread on AD-forums (I was looking for juicy drama, OK?) and frankly it's really going to just piss people off towards your guild to limit actual participation in the fights to your guild members. It'll also mean that a lot of otherwise eager participants will be dissappointed and won't show up.

Thorvald wrote:
To make it really easy, I will be using Challonge, a free program where I can set up the tournament really quickly, which is always great.

Get a blank A4 and a pencil. No need to start alt-tabbing/playing in windowed mode for something as simple as this, you'll only distract yourself. Especially if I understood it right and you're going with sudden death (winner of A faces winner of B, and so on).

Khendran

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Littlepip Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:11 pm

I was playing around with creating a rolling system when I stumbled over this fun one, i doubt it can be used in PvP however on dungeon mastering it might be simple and useful.

Roll 1-100
1-20 Fails and leaves you open for enemy attacks.
21-50 Parried or blocked, no openings for attacks
51-70 Minor hit, that is one damage.
71-90 Normal hit, that is two damage.
91-99 Critical hit, that is three damage.
100 is an extreme hit, damage three however the creature is stunned for one round.

I came up with something rolls could be used in average Roleplay, don't know if it already exists right now since I'm just brain storming.

Roll 1-100
Stunned, roll over the set amount that the player or dungeon master has set.
Physical strongest if not logical, roll over the other player.
Magical dual (harry potter vs, Voldemort style), Roll over the other player.
Littlepip
Littlepip

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Moglim Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:55 pm

I'm not sure how familiar you are with the rolling system we're currently using in the clans, but here's a link that should be available to everyone. It is still up for discussion, but it might give you some ideas for your event.

http://khazmodan.enjin.com/forum/m/18630574/viewthread/9778596-combat-system

Best of luck.
Moglim
Moglim

Character sheet
Name: Kilgan Stonehearth
Title: Thane

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:37 pm

The best emote battles, in my experience, are between two players who entrust the fate of their own charaters and play to people they...Well, trust. If you have faith in the ability of the two of you being able to tell a shared narrative that will be statisfying for all, there is no need to introduce an element of chance. You should only really need to roll dice in emote battles if you can't determine between the two of you who is supposed to 'win' or who is supposed to 'lose' in a given context.

All emote battles that were structured by rolls have been sources of great frustration for me.

Meanwhile, the few fights I had with players I trusted, in which we both allowed eachother to actually hurt and control eachother's characters in real ways, were dramatically statisfying for both parties involved.

Having said that: best of luck to you. Just don't act suprised if there's drama involved when the super cool death knight kung fu guy gets beaten by the Joe the farmer with his pitchfork.
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzifix Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:49 pm

I agree, Thelos, but in a tournament setting I doubt the players all will know each other well enough.

I guess the players could make a single roll with or without modifiers at the start of the fight, then just act out an epic combat where the winner of the initial roll somehow end up on top. Would be pretty simplistic and allow for much freedom to RP out things as desired.

Edit: Said dice roll should be kept between those players and one of the people arranging it though, so that it'll be a bit exciting to watch.

Izzifix

Back to top Go down

Post by Littlepip Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:18 pm

Thelos wrote:
Having said that: best of luck to you. Just don't act suprised if there's drama involved when the super cool death knight kung fu guy gets beaten by the Joe the farmer with his pitchfork.

Haha! I remember that actually happened once, luckely there won't be any evil farmers this time.
Littlepip
Littlepip

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Moglim Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:46 pm

The RNG system involves the matter of chance to ensure fairness among competitors, and thus proves very convenient for tournaments. Depending on context, it should be up to every character to determine whether he or she is of the ability to participate. I’d say a RNG system is the best way to avoid drama in this context, should participants find themselves equal competitors(and why shouldn’t they?).

If not, then any fight where the element of chance is excluded would most likely lead to disagreements about the ability of the two.

The element of chance in this particular context, I believe, is highly necessary for the thrill of participating.
Moglim
Moglim

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Littlepip Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:48 pm

However, that was a lot to take in.. I mean A LOTT! My eyes hurts after so much text!
Littlepip
Littlepip

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Moglim Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:51 pm

Thorvald wrote:However, that was a lot to take in.. I mean A LOTT! My eyes hurts after so much text!

Focus on the first chapter, and this: http://khazmodan.enjin.com/forum/m/18630574/viewthread/9778596-combat-system/post/56579116#p56579116. It was given to me by a friend, but it isn't as easy to wrap your head around.
Moglim
Moglim

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Khendran Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:21 pm

Complex systems should be avoided if they're only a one-time thing, or you'll be spending a lot of time in the event OOC simply explaining it to the participants, who probably after multiple explanations still aren't sure if they got it. It'll be an immersion breaker, and you'll have things to stress about anyway. They work well, however, for adding flavour to DM'd events inside a guild when you use the system regularly, so the players can gather experience and understanding of it over time. So if your intention is to make a system that will become a part of the guild's RP, then go for detail.

Otherwise, KISS-rule trumps all.

Both have 3HP.
Both fighters roll for the first attack. Fighter A rolls higher, he emotes a successful attack, fighter B loses 1HP.
Both fighters roll again. Fighter B rolls higher, and emotes that he hits A. A loses 1HP, both fighters are at 2HP.

Repeat until you have a winner.

Khendran

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum