Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RP novice in need of a little help

5 posters

Go down

RP novice in need of a little help Empty RP novice in need of a little help

Post by Cheecheebow Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:02 am

Ok, so I've only been playing WoW for a couple of days now and to be honest, it's the RP side of it that really "does it" for me. Now this is also quite daunting, considering the amount of Lore, history and story (which I love and am trying very hard to learn up on) that my new character has to fit into in order to work and it's taken this long for me to come up with something that I think could fit, but I thought I'd put it to the experts to judge for themsleves...

Now, my character is a Human Monk. And as a human I started in the Northshire Abbey. To make this fit my story, I would like to say that I was an oprhan found on the Abbey doorsteps by the monks there (who I gather are monastic monks of the "Church of the Light?" and no to be confused with the shaolin style Panderen monks). Being brought up by them in a life of studious servitude until a visitor from a far away land came to stay, Master Bao! *The NPC Panderen Monk who resides at Northshire Abbey and issues the first quests.

Question, how long can I say that I studied under Bao? As far as I can tell the Panderen appeared after the "Cataclysm?", to which, I can find, no definite time given from when that happened to the present in game?

Now my character is 19 years old and Master Bao has other students who need his time to learn the ways of harmony and use of Chi, so I have left the Abbey in search of new Masters, to further my training in the hopes of becoming a Master myself one day

Now as you can see it's still pretty open, but how am I doing so far? Smile
Cheecheebow
Cheecheebow

Character sheet
Name: Kwai Chee Bo
Title: Initiate of the Wulong's Deadly Lotus School of Martial Arts

Back to top Go down

RP novice in need of a little help Empty Re: RP novice in need of a little help

Post by Guest Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:09 am

It's probably a good idea to be overly friendly OOC so people metagame and take less offense at your character if he's controversial IC.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheecheebow Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:46 am

Well, I'm now, kind of, modeling my characters personality on Kwai Chang Caine from the 1972 tv series "KUNG FU!", so I can hardly see how my IC persona is going to offend anyone (unless it's through my lack of in game knowledge or over enthusiasm, or more annoyingly, both put together lol) if anything it'll be my OOC persona that will offend lol Razz
Cheecheebow
Cheecheebow

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by siegmund Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:06 am

Thing is you're free to make up characters in your backstory. And monks aparently were already a thing for other races without the Pandaren, don't take my word on this though i know for sure the Dreanai have their own monks, chi stuff and so on for the other kind of monks not fully sure. It's really up to you but just fine to say you were trained by human X then and when the pandaren did come you took a intrest in their ways as well!

Though considering if he'd be found at the Abbey he'd probably be tought about the light as well (You don't have to be a Paladin or Priest to be a follower of the light, those fellows just generally use it you use your fists!)

Of course it's generally your char so how he grew up and thinks of the world and what he came in contact with can be pretty diffrent.

As well as you don't technically need to stay you were a orphan but just came there to do... whatever else become a monk? Devot of the light? Or a orphan really you do technically have a lot of options and generally each would make your char a bit diffrent.

Otherwise yeah seems fine to me! I think there are some Monk RP guides on battle.net forums but I myself haven't really checked em out, here is one i saw:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Then again guides tend to be just that, guide you a bit but otherwise you're free handed (Like a monk) to decide on some details.
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:27 am

Cheecheebow wrote:
Question, how long can I say that I studied under Bao? As far as I can tell the Panderen appeared after the "Cataclysm?", to which, I can find, no definite time given from when that happened to the present in game?

Master Bao is from the Wandering Isle, meaning he is one of the few elusive pandaren that have been wandering around during the events of the RTS games and early expansions. Presumably, he could have been around as long as Chen, or longer, if you like. These wanderers have been spotted troughout Azeroth's history, appearing here and there to share drinks with tavern-goers and have the odd adventure.

So to awnser your question directly: as long as you'd like. There's no reason Bao could not have been around already for, say, fifty years; longer than your character has been alive, surely.

Good luck with your role-play and have fun!

PS: Seek out Uncle Pao in the Pig&Whistle Tavern, Stormwind and we'll talk Kung Fu.
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:25 pm

Do yourself a huge favour and go find Uncle Pao. Thelos is a great rper and great to rp with.
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheecheebow Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:50 pm

HA! RPing is SOOO cool!! That was way fun, thanks Thelos!! Smile
Looking forward to more come LV. 20 Very Happy How did I do for the first attempt? Still got loads to learn I know Razz
Cheecheebow
Cheecheebow

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:15 pm

If you had fun, it means you did well.
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet