Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will Garrisons hinder or improve RP?

+8
Paia/Jenit
Amaryl
Rend.
erwtenpeller
Zinkle Figgins
Zaraj
Coppersocket
Vaell
12 posters

Go down

Will Garrisons hinder or improve RP? Empty Will Garrisons hinder or improve RP?

Post by Vaell Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:45 pm

Just a discussion I had recently on Skype with a couple of others.

Points for improving:

• Instanced zones where guilds can host their events/have a base of operations.
  • Nobles and certain Guilds can finally have named NPCs to fill the roles players usually wouldn't want to.
  • A ganking safe haven.
  • Varied RP spots which allow us some privacy.

Points for hindering:

• Could it be goodbye to most random rp?
  • There may be limitations to the amount of players allowed in at once.
  • If most players have their own town, how do we explain it ICly? Does ever Tom, Dick and Harry suddenly own a mansion?

Just a few points off the top of my head. I'm pretty on the fence about them. I wish they had gone down the LOTRO route and had neighbourhoods from an RP perspective. Don't fanboy this topic, I'm incredibly excited for the next expansion, but there's always some nooks and crannies.
Vaell
Vaell

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Will Garrisons hinder or improve RP? Empty Re: Will Garrisons hinder or improve RP?

Post by Coppersocket Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:12 pm

It'll be interesting at first then it'll be a niche, people will use it when it's beneficial, but I imagine it won't be used as frequently as people expect since it's not a guild thing. /thread.
Coppersocket
Coppersocket

Character sheet
Name: Mineral Coppersocket
Title: Street Sweeper, Jeweler

Back to top Go down

Will Garrisons hinder or improve RP? Empty Re: Will Garrisons hinder or improve RP?

Post by Zaraj Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:30 pm

Vaell wrote:
Points for hindering:

• Could it be goodbye to most random rp?
  • There may be limitations to the amount of players allowed in at once.
  • If most players have their own town, how do we explain it ICly? Does ever Tom, Dick and Harry suddenly own a mansion?

To be honest, two of those points are already something the RP community has dealt with and will have to deal with, with or without garrisons. Random RP last time I checked was pretty dead in favor of a more guild centric RP, something which garrisons only seem to benefit from. As for lore, there have already been people with their own mansions and people pretending Stromgarde was a fully rebuilt and functioning nation, for instance. So this seems less of a stretch.

It will probably come down to performance, how well it works, if the phasing is functional etc. Beyond that, it'll prolly come down to how interesting it is as a feature, because I am inclined to believe the customization is pretty limited, which might be a bummer.
Zaraj
Zaraj

Back to top Go down

Post by Zinkle Figgins Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:46 pm

I think it's going to be a great feature and will hopefully encourage more outdoor RP, since now you can actually have your own base.
As far as I know 40 people will be the limit, I think it's a fair number.
Explaining why all of a sudden you own a garrison won't be a problem. Why not making a series of event out of it? Scouting the area, gathering materials, hiring laborers and so forth. Some guilds could even consider capturing an enemy garrison and making it their own.
Zinkle Figgins
Zinkle Figgins

Character sheet
Name: Razgash Gronnbane
Title: Warbringer

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:25 pm

Zinkle Figgins wrote:I think it's going to be a great feature and will hopefully encourage more outdoor RP, since now you can actually have your own base.
Yet role-playing in that base will not be outdoor RP. It will be more "indoor" then role-playing in Stormwind. You're role-playing in your own personal little bubble.

As a player, I quite like these garrisons. It's going to be a fun little extra point of progression that you can be proud of, and walk around in with your thumbs behind your suspenders going "Yub. I did that."

As a role-player, the wasted potential of the whole thing is soul-crushing. I can't see anything this will add to role-play, other then offer a place to hide from the big bad world. The amount of dis-advantages for role-play seems endless.

> Can't just walk over and visit people. Everyone is hiding in their own phase, and you need to have an OOC chat before you can enter. Bye bye any covert role play, or surprises.
> If used as a guild hubb, would require some serious organisational gymnastics. Several players with the exact same garrison and npc's so the garrison is available at all times. What happens when there is no-one online with a guild-synchronized garrison?
> Everyone lives in the same spot. That "same spot" might be able to exist in several environments, but it'll still be the same spot. With the same floor plan. Very odd.

I would have preferred the Garrison as a sever-wide or a guild-specific thing.
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rend. Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:32 pm

Pro's and cons come with virtually anything new.

Having said that, I am inclined to think that this will be more beneficial than damaging. I think being shielded from same faction OOCers is perhaps the most lucrative aspect of the Garrison feature as well as it being safe from gankers.

I mean, I'm all for the occasional OOCer wandering in and tea-bagging a wounded soldier on the floor - but it's nice to know that there'll be a place where even they can't reach us.
Rend.
Rend.

Character sheet
Name: Rend
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:45 pm

And I think that us vs them attitude is poisonous. It's an MMO, there's supposed to be people everywhere. That's one of the things I like about the genre.

I would much rather role-play a Draenei in Karabor then a soldier hiding in a Garrison. In the public Karabor, you might meet new characters spontaneously. Stories can just take on a life of their own and evolve. You can't do that with Garrisons, you can only orchestrate them.
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Coppersocket Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:12 pm

I would rather roleplay a night elf with a collar around my neck saying cumslut in goldshire than Rp a night elf with a collar around my neck saying cumslut, in my garrison. Wait I...
Coppersocket
Coppersocket

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaryl Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:15 pm

exhibitionism is big part of what a makes cumslut slut some cum.

Amaryl

Back to top Go down

Post by Paia/Jenit Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:18 pm

Coppersocket wrote:I would rather roleplay a night elf with a collar around my neck saying cumslut in goldshire than Rp a night elf with a collar around my neck saying cumslut, in my garrison. Wait I...
NSFW/NMS:
Paia/Jenit
Paia/Jenit

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Coppersocket Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:21 pm

What in the fuck
Coppersocket
Coppersocket

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Muzjhath Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:07 pm

Am I the only one who think's what's pictured there is disgusting?
Muzjhath
Muzjhath

Character sheet
Name: Muzjhath Farstride
Title: Dead Varog'Gor

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaryl Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:22 pm

That was brilliant.

I particularly liked the touch of drama in her backstory. This wasn't always a whore. but now it is. Areolas the size of dinner plates... lol.

Amaryl

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:25 pm

Shocked 

Ahem. I rp'ed in Age of Conan and the guild castles there didn't promote bubble rp to any great extent. It was nice having a place where you could retreat to for guild stuff, and it was cool making cross-guild events at them.

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:31 pm

Yes, but those where tied to your guild, had their own place in the world, and people could lay siege to them.

Not the same thing.
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ledgic Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:57 pm

To be completely honest I don't think Garrisons will improve or hinder RP in a wider sense. They'll be exactly what you make of them.

Want to use it for smaller scale RP with friends? Cool, go ahead. Don't want to use them for RP? Cool, don't.

It's the same as everything else. Sure, we can look at it as something with wasted opportunities but honestly this is not something to grumble at given that it's a potential step forward.
Ledgic
Ledgic

Character sheet
Name: Ledgic Kaden Caan
Title: Leader of The Old Town Syndicate

Back to top Go down

Post by Gesh Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:01 am

I can see them being useful for events, but I can't see them being used that often.
It's one of those wait and see situations.
Gesh
Gesh

Back to top Go down

Post by siegmund Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:14 am

Krelk wrote:I can see them being useful for events, but I can't see them being used that often.
It's one of those wait and see situations.
Yeah i belive the same. Only time will tell!
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:43 am

Ledgic/Rurel wrote:To be completely honest I don't think Garrisons will improve or hinder RP in a wider sense. They'll be exactly what you make of them.

Want to use it for smaller scale RP with friends? Cool, go ahead. Don't want to use them for RP? Cool, don't.

It's the same as everything else. Sure, we can look at it as something with wasted opportunities but honestly this is not something to grumble at given that it's a potential step forward.
This post is so incredibly sensible, I'm going to have to agree with it.
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:24 pm

erwtenpeller wrote:Yes, but those where tied to your guild, had their own place in the world, and people could lay siege to them.

Not the same thing.
You're thinking of the PvP keeps that everyone ignored.
The guild keeps couldn't be sieged and were placed in their own instance along with two other guild keeps (which meant that two months after launch, you had the zone to yourself). So functionally, it'll be pretty much the same with the garrisons.

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:44 am

...Oh.

Alright then! Carry on!

Smile
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down