Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Naaru and You

+8
Lexgrad
Amaryl
Thelos
Rae Wulfgnar
Jeanpierre
Drustai
siegmund
Melnerag
12 posters

Go down

Naaru and You Empty Naaru and You

Post by Melnerag Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:21 am

I am half a decade late with this.

So, we have creatures of pure Light who have a recommendation from as an important character as Khadgar. Tirion Fordring says that A'dal is pretty great. Anduin Wrynn is an apprentice to none other than Prophet Velen.

Yet, despite all this, many human&dwarven paladin player characters mistrust or ignore the Naaru.

Here goes. If you are a non-Draenei Lightie, how does your character view the Naaru and why?
Melnerag
Melnerag

Back to top Go down

Naaru and You Empty Re: Naaru and You

Post by siegmund Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:36 am

Hm well my Paladin actually enjoyed the preaching she heard from the Draenei so far, but she has meet with night elfs who got their Elune, the elf compared the similarity of magics used. I guess she does dwell a bit on things and wants to learn a bit on these things, but always busy with other things doesn't give her the time to do so. But she doesn't really ignore such, if she met more on this on a daily basis i'd inspire more thinking i guess.
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:43 am

Areyah doesn't care either way about them. I think she acknowledges them as Light-blessed creatures (if I recall, the Anethionean faith did decide on that, at least), but she doesn't really view them as prophets or guides or anything of the sort. They don't directly impact her, she's never even seen one before, so she has no reason to care about them unless they start getting written into the Book of Revelations or something (unlikely).
Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet
Name: Archmage Drustai
Title: The Necromancer

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeanpierre Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:22 am

Jean-Pierre would see the Naaru as great(er) beings of the Light and near infinite wisdom in its message. Pierre also sees the Draenei as great beings, carrying a blessing of the Light beyond one's wildest dreams, and as messengers of the near infinite strength of the Naaru in the ways of the Light. He would also address any Draenei as a "Blessed One", emphasizing his awe for these miraculous beings. He will only address them as equals if he fiercely disagrees with one, or if his rank within the Disciples doesn't permit him to address them as superior.

So why isn't he running about in the Exodar being tutored by all the Naaru and the greatest Draenei and preaching their view and depth of the Light instead of the Church's view?
For the same reason the mouse didn't workout in the gym till it turned into a lion with dragon wings and devoured every fucking eagle.
Jeanpierre
Jeanpierre

http://www.disciplesoflight.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by Rae Wulfgnar Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:56 am

Jeremias believes that anything that can speak into your mind through thoughts can't be trusted. He finds them beautiful but can be easily corrupted like anything else, they can be more of a danger in the wrong hands.

Wulfgnar finds the Naaru as pure beings of the Light and adores their presence, seeing them like prophets of the Light. He doesn't trust Draenei however, as he believes they are easily corrupted.
Rae Wulfgnar
Rae Wulfgnar

Character sheet
Name: Sir Rae Josephas Wulfgnar
Title: Chaplain of the Disciples of Light

http://akhirah.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:52 pm

Rae Wulfgnar wrote:He doesn't trust Draenei however, as he believes they are easily corrupted.

Huruma would totally agree with Wulfgnar here.

I suppose I have never played a non-Draenei Lightie, so I can't really comment on anything in this thread - however, I did have fun playing out the implications of the reverse, i.e Draenei that are used to the Light as something revealed to the by the Naaru, supposedly being discovered by the races of Azeroth without any Divine Inteference.

I have seen Draenei react to this on two ways:

Either they think that it is impossible for any mortal race to find the Light without the Naaru, and they therefore persume that at some point in their history the races of Azeroth have necessarily had to have been visisted by Naaru.

Or they genuinely accept that the mortal races dicsovered the Light on their own, without the Naaru's guidance.

The implications of this last position are far-reaching and very interesting. Huruma has said in role-play that he considers the Draenei to be inferior to the Humans for exactly this reason: Eredar are more easily tempted to evil, as history as shown, while Humans have shown they are naturally predisposed towers good, having discovered the Light on their own.

I have also seen Draenei characters accept the the position and argue the reverse: that Draenei are superior because they are the chosen people of the Naaru, the creatures induspitably most blessed by the Light.

There's tons of room here to experiment with and express your character. Is your character prideful? Humble? Is he burdened by his racial guilt? Does he consider Humans to be mere children in the Light - and then, does he consider them child prodigies (like Anduin) or dangerous rebel teenagers? (Scarlet Crusaders).

I have had a lot of fun discussing these matters, and the relationship the Draenei have towards the other Light-worshipping races that do not share their bond with the Naaru has provided me with some of the most interesting dialogues I have had in my time role-playing a Draenei.
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaryl Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:23 pm

Amaryl's Views on the Naaru are that they are beings of Light, and that their attunement makes them see the crossroads of the choices they make. I.e: They can far better understand the reciprocity of the Light through different actions than humans, and in such, that's an opinion that should never be disregarded lightly.

However, she thinks they are too blinded by the path that they see; That it stops them from acting when they should. That it stops them from seeing different threads, and different ways. Thinking the Naaru are afraid of the consequences, and that halts them.

Additionally: Amaryl's biggest problem with the Naaru is ultimately that they don't die. They are ageless, and they have a habit of running, of waiting, of stalling for that specific intersection in which they can fight back. The Naaru's patience, will mean the doom for Amy, for her children, and for her Children's Children.

She has called Shattrath both: The best what the Light can do, and the worst. It is a sanctuary on a broken world created and enforced by the Naaru. Yet it was a world broken in liege of their presence. Yes its the safest place for the refugees, heck its the only safe place for the refugees, but should they have Acted. was the going to be necessary?

In that sense; Amy is afraid of the cold rationale and the greater good. Opposed to the willingness of the Humans, to make a stand with all their emotional flaws. (and often succeed because of it).

She will definately be soothed by their council, but will never blindly follow it, as what's best for her, and hers, and even her world.

Amaryl

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:36 pm

Lex has never met a Naaru.
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Catari Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:15 pm

Cat lost faith in the Light when Quel'Thalas was overrun by the scourge, and when a new power scource was found in the Light being that was brought to Silvermoon, she joined the Blood Knights and abused the Naaru's powers as most others. But as revelation hit the Blood Knights during the Sunwell events she was quick to embrace the Light ones again when she saw that the Naaru was trying to give the Sin'dorei a change to redeem themselves.

She see the Naaru as something close to the embodiment of Light itself and therefore more or less worship them as such, with a few twists here and there.

I'm also sad that there's way too few people on Horde side to discuss the Light with Sad
Catari
Catari

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Finnabhair Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:15 pm

IDOLS! They are nothing but FALSE IDOLS! Alien things hovering and using the Draenei as their puppets to spread lies that they are beings of Light!

Hail Anethion!

(Yes, we're still going strong on AD.)
Finnabhair
Finnabhair

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:32 am

Drustai wrote: I think she acknowledges them as Light-blessed creatures (if I recall, the Anethionean faith did decide on that, at least)

Well, so much for that.
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Melnerag Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:41 am

You can call it a cause for Schism, even. Ioanna fully approved of Draenei and the Naaru, while Osmand and Waldemar II refused to acknowledge them.

Gwendelyn was caught up in the details. For example, are Naaru of the Light in the sense that they have unhindered access to the Light and are incapable of doing or thinking anything against Light's will? Or are they just enlightened and ascended beings theoretically capable of sin who have learned of the Light and passing their knowledge on? Are they both the messenger and the message, or just the messengers?

It given more time to study and if she didn't die she would've eventually fully reckognized the Naaru and if in time she added to the BoR she would've included them. Alas she got killed for another heresy before she could outrage the Anethioneans with this.

Melnerag
Melnerag

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:22 am

Catari wrote:I'm also sad that there's way too few people on Horde side to discuss the Light with Sad
You should have been around more when Scuzy was alive, then.
Also, orcs are great to discuss the Light with!
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Gor'Thrak Frosthowl Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:03 pm

Catari wrote:I'm also sad that there's way too few people on Horde side to discuss the Light with
My Paladin 'Cenalia' is all faithful!
Gor'Thrak Frosthowl
Gor'Thrak Frosthowl

Character sheet
Name: Gor'Thrak Frosthowl
Title: The Bloodaxe

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:22 pm

Amaryl wrote:Amaryl's Views on the Naaru are that they are beings of Light, and that their attunement makes them see the crossroads of the choices they make. I.e: They can far better understand the reciprocity of the Light through different actions than humans, and in such, that's an opinion that should never be disregarded lightly.

However, she thinks they are too blinded by the path that they see; That it stops them from acting when they should. That it stops them from seeing different threads, and different ways. Thinking the Naaru are afraid of the consequences, and that halts them.

Additionally: Amaryl's biggest problem with the Naaru is ultimately that they don't die. They are ageless, and they have a habit of running, of waiting, of stalling for that specific intersection in which they can fight back. The Naaru's patience, will mean the doom for Amy, for her children, and for her Children's Children.

She has called Shattrath both: The best what the Light can do, and the worst. It is a sanctuary on a broken world created and enforced by the Naaru. Yet it was a world broken in liege of their presence. Yes its the safest place for the refugees, heck its the only safe place for the refugees, but should they have Acted. was the going to be necessary?

In that sense; Amy is afraid of the cold rationale and the greater good. Opposed to the willingness of the Humans, to make a stand with all their emotional flaws. (and often succeed because of it).

She will definately be soothed by their council, but will never blindly follow it, as what's best for her, and hers, and even her world.  

TL;dr - Amy thinks she knows better than the Naaru Razz 
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaryl Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:53 pm

Lexgrad wrote:

TL;dr - Amy thinks she knows better than the Naaru Razz 

Obviously. Razz