Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2nd Gen Dks

5 posters

Go down

2nd Gen Dks Empty 2nd Gen Dks

Post by Dorothee/Duvaineth Tue May 07, 2013 1:34 pm

I was wondering if there are any in game books or quests that speak of how 2nd gens are made and anything that concerns that generation? Ive read a lot of posts on Dks in the past years and some rpg books. Now that the books aint cannon lore ( something recently come to my attention Razz ) I would like to read the new cannon lore sourse on that subject.
Dorothee/Duvaineth
Dorothee/Duvaineth

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

2nd Gen Dks Empty Re: 2nd Gen Dks

Post by Guest Tue May 07, 2013 1:37 pm

Arthas, Rivendare & Barov are your best canon sources for second generation death knights, familiar death knights as well to each player!

http://www.wowpedia.org/Death_knight#Fallen_Knights_of_the_Silver_Hand

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothee/Duvaineth Tue May 07, 2013 1:41 pm

K . Ill track down the quests and possible books ingame with my toon. Thanxs for reminding me that all I needed to search for was the good examples of 2nd gen dks. If anyone may know the book names or locations off by heart and quests please let me know. Saves time searching on websites Razz
Dorothee/Duvaineth
Dorothee/Duvaineth

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 07, 2013 1:53 pm

WoWpedia lists all it's sources at the end. If you click on the tiny numbers it will bring you to them, these sources may also involve quests and the like.

There are not many quests in-game for the simple reason that Second Generation DK's are not prevalent throughout WoW, they are rare enough.

WoWpedia and it's links are really your best bet, reading upon Arthas as well will really answer your main questions.

The link, and information on Arthas ought to cover your query.

Back to top Go down

Post by EShadowsong Tue May 07, 2013 2:13 pm

I believe somewhere it was stated that there are no longer generations of Death Knights, at least when they did away with canon from the books. Really that is probably for the best though, as it's a rather confusing topic. There should only be the first Death Knights that Gorefiend created by putting Orc souls into Human bodies and the ones that came after Arthas.

EShadowsong

Back to top Go down

Post by Anivitas Tue May 07, 2013 2:19 pm

I think removing generations would leave some pretty big voids in the lore.

http://www.wowpedia.org/Death_knight

Just scroll down at bit to the background section and its a detailed guide on the 1st 2nd and 3rd gens. With strengths and weaknesses.

Anivitas
Anivitas

Character sheet
Name: The Reaper.
Title: Titleception.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothee/Duvaineth Tue May 07, 2013 2:42 pm

The 1st and 3rd I have very well figured out. Especially the 3rd since all my dks up to now were 3rd . Its the 2nd I have a great lack in. I blame my bad memory. I must of read DK lore subjects over and over in the past few years just to refresh my bad memory.
Dorothee/Duvaineth
Dorothee/Duvaineth

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Anivitas Tue May 07, 2013 3:15 pm

Years after the destruction of Draenor, the immensely powerful Lich King created a new breed of death knights (2nd Gen): malevolent, rune-wielding warriors of the Scourge. The first and greatest of these was the Lich King's chosen champion, Prince Arthas Menethil, once a mighty paladin of the Silver Hand, who sacrificed his soul to claim the runeblade Frostmourne in a desperate bid to save his people. The rest are primarily made up of other fallen warriors or paladins whose souls were twisted and bound to the will of the Frozen Throne.

Unlike Gul'dan's death knights (1st Gen), these dark champions possess unholy strength, however, they do not possess free will and their minds are inexorably entwined with and dominated by the Lich King's vast consciousness. Despite the heavy costs of free will, some powerful mortals are intrigued by the promise of immortality and pledge their souls freely into the Lich King's service to achieve it. (Baron Rivendare is an example of this).

There are examples of death knights created during the Third War who did not give themselves willingly. Falric and Marwyn were killed and raised as death knights against their will by Arthas. Thassarian was killed by Captain Falric shortly after this. As all three precede the destruction of Lordaeron, they would have been created before the aforementioned paladins. Koltira Deathweaver was also killed and raised by Thassarian in the midst of the destruction of Quel’Thalas during the Third War.

In the years since Arthas shattered the Frozen Throne and merged with the Lich King, the power and fury of the death knights has only grown. Now these unrelenting crusaders of the damned eagerly await the Lich King's command to unleash their fury on Azeroth once again. Unlike death knights of the Old Horde, the Scourge’s death knights are not limited to their use of ranged spell casting abilities. In addition, these tireless death knights are considerably stronger, faster and more agile than they were in life. However, both generations are equally destructive and terrifying to engage in the field of battle.

(Love copy pasta)
Anivitas
Anivitas

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Tue May 07, 2013 3:54 pm

I hate the generation system but meh. Forget about the 1st gen if you are related to the scourge, they are nothing to do with DKs as we play them.

There was a story I read of Paladins heading to northrend and being given runeblades that slowly turned them. There is he case of traitors like barov and rivendere who went to the scourge for turning. Thassarian and Koltira were slain and raised as DKs. If you do the nax raid you will see new DKs being trained inside.

The main points are unlike the acherus, these DKs are either v good warriors needing little training or are slowly trained in nax or the like. The Development seemingly less harsh than the Acherus or the vile hold DKs.

For RP purposes I would think the "3rd gen" would be alot more brutal and more warmachine than knightly and dark noble like the seconds. Most seconds seem to be fine warriors too rather than any body they could find in the Acherus. Obviously this is a loose suggestion and there are alot of varibles. Finally the scourge did use experimentation and development on DKs and other UD's. But the Acherus is not really the place for that, it was a production line rather than R&D. If you want to play as a experimental DK then you would prob want a second gen DK for that.
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Anivitas Tue May 07, 2013 4:04 pm

As far as I know, if anyone knows otherwise, feel free to correct me, all 2nd Gen DK's were human. Which is quite an important note if true.

Evidently, 3rd gens would be the most common at this time, and have the largest variation.
Anivitas
Anivitas

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Tue May 07, 2013 4:13 pm

They would have the least variation imo as the Acherus just seems to make one type and mass produce it. Think of the Acherus as a productionline, it can makea thousand DKs a day to one design. Where as older DKs are made more individually imo. But this is why I dont like the generation system for explining it, it leads to peopleputting patterns where there are no patterns. All DKs in the acherus are made to one plan but there is vast variation in the second generation that all glassing them seems to do is list them as not Acherus.
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Anivitas Tue May 07, 2013 4:20 pm

I just meant 3rd gen would have a large variation due to the deaths during the war, pretty much all horde and alliances races were present.

I don't mind the generation system so much, as well 1st gen were -completely- different to any other sort of death knight, and then 2nd gen was more or less the first death knights under the Lich king, their was not many of them, but they all seem to have their names listed and known for being rather infamous and powerful.

And then 3rd gens are just the last death knights made under the lich king, in which he made a lot more with more variation to contribute them to the war effort. Just my opinion mind, but it makes sense to me.
Anivitas
Anivitas

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai Tue May 07, 2013 5:45 pm

Generations aren't canon. They're a convenient player categorization, that's all.

Anyway, generations refers to time in which the DKs were made. Third generations have some slight differences in their abilities as they are a more mass produced variety of death knight compared to the "handcrafted" 2nd generations, but the differences are not that significant. The only really important difference between 2nd generation DKs and 3rd generation DKs is that the former were made shortly after Arthas acquired Frostmourne, and the latter were made at Acherus shortly before the Wrath of the Lich King.

Some 2nd generations are also voluntary. Such as Baron Rivendare. Not all however. Keep in mind that Thassarian and Koltira, the archtypical Acherus death knights, are both 2nd generation death knights. They are not 3rd generation. Thassarian is in fact the fourth oldest death knight, preceded only by Arthas, Falric, and Marwyn.
Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet
Name: Archmage Drustai
Title: The Necromancer

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothee/Duvaineth Tue May 07, 2013 5:55 pm

Belserden / Anivitas wrote:As far as I know, if anyone knows otherwise, feel free to correct me, all 2nd Gen DK's were human. Which is quite an important note if true.

Evidently, 3rd gens would be the most common at this time, and have the largest variation.

I read somewhere cant remember what website it was that 2nd consisted of humans, dwarves and maybe a few queldorei.
Dorothee/Duvaineth
Dorothee/Duvaineth

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothee/Duvaineth Tue May 07, 2013 5:58 pm

Lexgrad wrote:I hate the generation system but meh. Forget about the 1st gen if you are related to the scourge, they are nothing to do with DKs as we play them.

There was a story I read of Paladins heading to northrend and being given runeblades that slowly turned them. There is he case of traitors like barov and rivendere who went to the scourge for turning. Thassarian and Koltira were slain and raised as DKs. If you do the nax raid you will see new DKs being trained inside.

The main points are unlike the acherus, these DKs are either v good warriors needing little training or are slowly trained in nax or the like. The Development seemingly less harsh than the Acherus or the vile hold DKs.

For RP purposes I would think the "3rd gen" would be alot more brutal and more warmachine than knightly and dark noble like the seconds. Most seconds seem to be fine warriors too rather than any body they could find in the Acherus. Obviously this is a loose suggestion and there are alot of varibles. Finally the scourge did use experimentation and development on DKs and other UD's. But the Acherus is not really the place for that, it was a production line rather than R&D. If you want to play as a experimental DK then you would prob want a second gen DK for that.

I remeber you telling me all this when I first started rp lex. I think im gonna begin copy pasting every little bit of information I can find into a wordpad as a personal help book for lore. Im pretty sure u told me this over 5 -10 times I just forget the important details.
Dorothee/Duvaineth
Dorothee/Duvaineth

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Tue May 07, 2013 7:46 pm

XD Anytime you have questions Very Happy

@Capt Pelican - I see what you mean and yeah, in the acherus I think they just collected a load of bodies and raised them all, which differs from previously as before they would only use the best material.

@ Drube. It is why I hate the system. Conventional DK development did not stop with the acherus as the generation system suggests. There are young DKs in the Nax raid and later in Ice crown you see the host of suffering, tho the Host seems more like the acherus than older DKs.
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum