Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Order of The Stick! For your fantasy-webcomic needs.

3 posters

Go down

The Order of The Stick! For your fantasy-webcomic needs. Empty The Order of The Stick! For your fantasy-webcomic needs.

Post by Guest Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:15 pm

So, you might ask: "What is this order of the stick?"
Short answer: An epic fantasy webcomic set in a universe operating by DnD rules, the characters being drawn as stick figures (increasingly advanced ones as the comic progresses), drawn and written by Rich Burlew aka The Giant in the Playground.

The comic runs here and is currently at 875 stips + some additional ones exclusive to printed books (the re-printing of said books resulted in an incredibly successful kickstarter, raising over 1 million).

The first 40 comics or so are simple DnD-parody strips, before the plot kicks in. The DnD references in the strip gets a lot less in your face after that, and the author now confesses that it's evolved from that into something else entirely. Basicly, if you've ever played an RPG based on dnd-rules (say either of the KOTOR games etc), you'll have enough background to get what is going on most of the time.

As Roleplayers in a fantasy game you are already nerds, so with this post and thread I invite you, go the distance, go full nerd become OOTS-readers. Despite the simplistic format, it's getting awesomer (it's a word) by the day, and there's plenty of story left to be told. It's up there with A song of Ice and Fire, the Wheel of Time and BONE for me, and that says a lot.

This OP will be expanded in the near future.

Back to top Go down

The Order of The Stick! For your fantasy-webcomic needs. Empty Re: The Order of The Stick! For your fantasy-webcomic needs.

Post by Thelos Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:17 pm

I've been following this comic for years now...How long has it been? Five? Six?

I'm thrilled that the author is finally able to resume his work now that his thumb injury has been healed. After months of nothing we are now getting an update almost every other day. I doubt he'll be able to keep this up but it was a nice treat after having to wait for so long, for sure.

Here's hoping Rich stabilizes and gives us a two or three comics or week for months, instead of six comics one week and then nothing for a month.
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

The Order of The Stick! For your fantasy-webcomic needs. Empty Re: The Order of The Stick! For your fantasy-webcomic needs.

Post by Guest Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:20 pm

I believe he's having a go at one of the Kickstarter stretch goals, namely the 9 comics in 9 days one. I think it's stated that this may be it, if he gets that far, but if he doesn't it's just a lot of strips in a short time not related to that goal at all.

I'm hoping for the same though, the usual semi-regular updates again would be great.

Edit: Btw, notice that Thelos, you know, the guy who regularly remembers that we're roleplaying in a fantasy setting, not just in a depressing medieval one reads the Order of the Stick. This proves the link between reading Order of the Stick and being a good RPer. Improve your mad RP skills today, read OOTS Very Happy

(It totally works that way, I promise)

Back to top Go down

Post by Muzjhath Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:06 pm

Used to read this YEARS ago. But after some 100-150 strips I got bored since it just felt samey to me.
Was fun what I read but didn't develop.
Muzjhath
Muzjhath

Character sheet
Name: Muzjhath Farstride
Title: Dead Varog'Gor

Back to top Go down

Post by Fyffe Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:49 pm

Thelos wrote:I've been following this comic for years now...How long has it been? Five? Six?

I'm thrilled that the author is finally able to resume his work now that his thumb injury has been healed. After months of nothing we are now getting an update almost every other day. I doubt he'll be able to keep this up but it was a nice treat after having to wait for so long, for sure.

Here's hoping Rich stabilizes and gives us a two or three comics or week for months, instead of six comics one week and then nothing for a month.

My sentiments also Very Happy
Fyffe
Fyffe

Character sheet
Name: "Fyffe the Confounder!!!"
Title: Lorescribe and Illusionist

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:06 pm

strip #876:
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Fyffe Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:40 pm

Spoiler:
Fyffe
Fyffe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:16 am

Strip 876 + On the Origin of the PCs:

Back to top Go down

Post by Fyffe Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:23 am

Spoiler:

While I've not read any of the books, I'd very much like to read Start of Darkness (Redcloak <3) especially.
Fyffe
Fyffe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:24 am

I just don't know how to feel about the last few strips.

Found myself growing more sympathetic of Nale even.

Gotta wonder what Tarquin and Malack really mean by the word "business", as well as whether or not Elan's plan from back in the valley still is in the works.

Basicly, it feels like the whole western continent storyline is drawing near a conclusion, and that it will end with a blast.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fyffe Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:33 pm

I'm hoping to see how V responds to the situation above ground, since I feel that she/he might be about to take another major step in the atonement arc.

Good point about Nale. It's getting clear to see why he tries so hard (Tarkin: "Deny! Deny, deny the Egotistical Up-staaart!).

...and that it will end with a blast.

Well naturally the destruction of this gate would raise the stakes even higher with the race for the final one. =D
I'm picturing a fairly unflattering and insulting statue of Girard waiting for The Order down below...
...unless, assuming it it WERE going to be within any statue, it could actually be the one on the entrance level tombstone. Let's face it, no adventuring party preparing themselves for an intense, heavily defended, booby-trap-ridden, tomb-of-horrors style, laberinthian dungeon crawl is going to even imagine that the endgame prize is waiting for them in the very first room. Risky as it may seem (without the illusions perhaps), it would be an excellent bluff on Girard's part to allow intruders to slaughter themselves in an attempt to reach an empty chamber. Then again, the Order already had a chance to notice such a thing before so it would be unlikely.

Thoughts?
Fyffe
Fyffe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:25 pm

Muzjhath wrote:Used to read this YEARS ago. But after some 100-150 strips I got bored since it just felt samey to me.
Was fun what I read but didn't develop.
In a very late response to Muzj, I've reread a lot of the early strips, as a direct result of that I've concluded, this: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0199.html is probably the best place for a new reader to start. From that point on the story-telling is really kicked up a notch, and what you've missed in the plot is mainly explained later, and one can always go back to read the earlier strips if one likes it.

Right, so at 199, the party has just spent a boring side-plot searching for materials to reforge their leader, Roy's ancestral sword, and by lucky coincidence picked up a decent amount of treasure on the way. As the comic begins, they are making their way back to town, slowed down by the treasure and travelling by chariot.

Enjoy!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down