Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thread pretty much solved

+8
Ara
Coppersocket
Thelos
Rmuffn
Muzjhath
Raenmar
Drustai
Kristeas Sunbinder
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Thread pretty much solved Empty Thread pretty much solved

Post by Guest Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:15 pm

Post didn't make sense. Now it does.

Thank you.

Last edited by Clydas / Tar-Chan on Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Thread pretty much solved Empty Re: Thread pretty much solved

Post by Guest Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:21 pm

Post was useless, now it's useless, but with a smiley. Shocked

Last edited by Clydas / Tar-Chan on Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristeas Sunbinder Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:35 pm

I'd say that rp guilds are catalysts in the reactions that is rp.
Kristeas Sunbinder
Kristeas Sunbinder

Character sheet
Name: Kristeas Sunbinder
Title: Operative for Sin Belore

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:36 pm

Kristeas Sunbinder wrote:I'd say that rp guilds are catalysts in the reactions that is rp.
How and why do you feel that such is the case?

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:40 pm

For me, it's about having an OOC channel between people I enjoy RPing with. Chat channels serve the same purpose for me, so I have no issue just using a chat channel instead of a guild if everyone I RP with also uses the channel.

I also don't believe in social/leveling guilds. They are filled with OOCers and lolers, who I have no desire to interact with. I would sooner level guildless than join a leveling guild, perks be damned.

Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet
Name: Archmage Drustai
Title: The Necromancer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:44 pm

Drustai wrote:I also don't believe in social/leveling guilds. They are filled with OOCers and lolers, who I have no desire to interact with. I would sooner level guildless than join a leveling guild, perks be damned.

A lot of OOCers/lolers are decent gamers who happily help out their fellow guild members, who enjoy the game and contribute to an interesting guild chat though. That has some value too, even if it doesn't relate ro Roleplaying at all. But that's a little off-topic, sorry bout derailing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:45 pm

I didn't really do that actually. Always tried to start communities elsewhere, most times it seemed I picked vacuums that just needed filling.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raenmar Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:56 pm

It's a hell of a lot easier to organize events and long-term RP involving lots of people using a guild. Got the MOTD and calendar, guild info, shit like that. There's the tabard and guild banner which can be useful. It's also a lot easier to communicate OOC, which in turn makes it a lot easier/less intimidating to get involved in RP.
Raenmar
Raenmar

Character sheet
Name: Raenmar Alric
Title: Commander, Druid of the Wild

http://gilneas.guildlaunch.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristeas Sunbinder Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:01 pm

Clydas / Tar-Chan wrote:
Kristeas Sunbinder wrote:I'd say that rp guilds are catalysts in the reactions that is rp.
How and why do you feel that such is the case?

It lower the amount of energy (and/or time) for a given result.

You need to spend less time to get into contact with a number of other players if you need a certain amount of people for something.
Interact with more people, more swiftly in a short time span.
Other peoples knowledge.
"IC Resources".
I'd also expect a character in a roleplaying guild to be more active IC than a character in an ooc raiding guild.
Some guilds might also have restrictions (no dragons, no darkfallen, no erp, etc.) that a player agrees with, wich mean that he/she/it won't have to worry about getting into contact with them, wich would be the case if the rp happened between characters with no affiliations.
Kristeas Sunbinder
Kristeas Sunbinder

Character sheet
Name: Kristeas Sunbinder
Title: Operative for Sin Belore

Back to top Go down

Post by Muzjhath Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:27 pm

Roleplayers make roleplaying guilds for the eze of organisation that it brings.
A channel for chat, a bank, guild messages, easy to see and define ranks, recognizable tabards for unity in looks.
Etc.
Roleplayers join said guilds because they bring a united storyline of one form of another they want to follow.
Orcs of the Red Blade - nomadic tribalistic Orc RPed, tinted with WAR!
Sin Belore - Blood Elven millitary. (Or, at least it was.)
Natures Grasp - Flappy pansies dancing in Ashenvale getting beaten by orcs.

It give's a unity, in an easily organized and recognized form.
Doing it outside of guilds generally take's a lot more work. And if you're supposed to be a recognized organisation of some kind, the lack of an easily attained Tabard can really hamper it.
Muzjhath
Muzjhath

Character sheet
Name: Muzjhath Farstride
Title: Dead Varog'Gor

Back to top Go down

Post by Rmuffn Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:37 pm

Some guilds are homes for people roleplaying something particular.

A place to gather, to belong.
Rmuffn
Rmuffn

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:46 pm

This is a community based game.

Guilds are communities.

I really don't understand your confusion or the need to ask this question.
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Coppersocket Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:56 pm

My guild is there to boost my ego.
Coppersocket
Coppersocket

Character sheet
Name: Mineral Coppersocket
Title: Street Sweeper, Jeweler

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:59 am

Not as much about needing to ask as about curiousity, I guess.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:00 am

Perhaps a better question would be: How does being in an RP guild enhance your time online?

Edit: With emphasis on "your", subjective posts please Razz

Edit 2: The OP, while based on something I really wanted to ask seems to have been suffering from one of my frequent cases of messed up empiricism/existentialism. Never had that happen about something so mundane before...

Last edited by Clydas / Tar-Chan on Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:01 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Coppersocket Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:08 am

Gkicking inactive people that hasn't benefit the guild at all is always fun.
Coppersocket
Coppersocket

Character sheet
Name: Mineral Coppersocket
Title: Street Sweeper, Jeweler

Back to top Go down

Post by Ara Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:44 am

Trust me lad.. guilds are a massive help to RP.Trick is finding the right one to suit your toon.LOL I've been effectivly RPing without a guild for ages now and I'm telling Big difference between the good times in the cartel over now
Ara
Ara

Character sheet
Name: Ara
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:03 am

"always" had my mains safely parked in RP guilds, but for the alts I'm just not so sure.

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:53 am

Clydas / Tar-Chan wrote:Perhaps a better question would be: How does being in an RP guild enhance your time online?

As mentioned before, the community-building tools that Blizzard has put into guilds vastly enhance the communication between myself and the other pandaren characters and makes it much easier to coordinate role-play and plan events. Calendars, guild message of the day, guild bank and even something mundane as guild chat are all great tools.

Like Drustai I find guild chat to be the most important for me personally. A simple "Good evening, how was your day" and a "Hello? Anyone want to RP?" make this game vastly more enjoyable to me. Like I said earlier, this is a community game no matter what aspect of the game you play the most, Chatting OOC with people makes playing that much more enjoyable. Plus, I am a firm believer that frequent OOC talk between players makes role-play all the better: not only can you organise events in an informal manner but you will also be able to often reflect on the role-play that is going on or that has just happened which goes a long way to increase the depth and meaning of your interaction.

Technically you can all do these things without guilds, of course: but it's much easier with guilds than without. Blizzard has designed guilds for the exact purpose to facilitate communities. Why you would ignore this great function of the game and build a community without a guild is frankly beyond me. It's sort of like deciding to cook a meal in a kitchen and denying yourself the use of the tap in favor of slowly melting ice cubes you took out of the refridgerator to the water you need for your recipe.

Not to mention that since Catacalysm, we've gotten perks -- and to anyone who also enjoys the other aspects of the game (pvp and pve), perks are indespensible.

I hope this helps!
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Skarain Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:20 am

To me, belonging to a guild means being involved in a group or organisation, following their ideal or just being a part of them. Belonging in the guild offers an easy channel of communication between its members, not to even mention to the usefulness of Guild Tabard when you want to appear as a member of the said group.

However, there is the other side of the coin. Currently, with Skarain being an outlaw i have no "need" for a guild. She is independent, unbound of any group or organisation. Not having a guild tag create a certain aura of mystery around the character, least in my opinion. However, in this "perk era" i find myself constantly spammed by "Hi, want to join my guild?" which eventually become so frustrating that i join a RP guild as an OOC member, just to evade that spam.

How does it enhance my roleplay? I feel the unity of the group, and in addition of belonging to the group IC i can join them in other activities, as an Arena partner from same guild.
Skarain
Skarain

Character sheet
Name: Skarain Feirand
Title: Mother of the Flame

Back to top Go down

Post by Ixirar Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:58 am

It makes me happy to look at the guild roster and smile at how many people are ranked below me. Makes me feel important and shit.
Ixirar
Ixirar

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:13 am

I'd like to bring up one point I've grown to find really important.

When you sign up for a server, you don't agree to anything. You are free to be whoever you want, wherever you want to be it.

When you join a guild, however, you agree to a secondary set of rules. You agree to follow the guidelines and structure of your guild, such as the chain of command if there is any. By that trait, joining a guild can offer a more structured form of role-play that can be quite enjoyable. Your actions will have consequences, and by joining the guild and agree-ing to their role-playing standards and rules, you are submitted to their authority in a more real way then you are as a guild-less player.

In addition, a guild as a whole builds up a certain standing in a community. When people see your guild tag, they will have a certain expectation from you when they first see your character, and when your character mentions being part of that guild or wears a tabard of that guild, other characters immediately know something about you.
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vaell Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:16 pm

This seems like a pretty pointless question, tbh. I mean, it's a little obvious why people join guilds!
Vaell
Vaell

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:51 pm

Vaell wrote:This seems like a pretty pointless question, tbh.
Yes it is. But even if most have the same reasons, more or less, some of the answers here are a little interesting.

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:33 pm

Please change back the thread title. It makes it very confusing -- if you consider the thread finished, request a lock and just let it get buried, but don't change the title. I initially thought it was an entirely new thread. Also, if anyone ever goes back to read this the title will make no sense whatsoever.

Please change it back, man, do it for History! Archival purposes! The future generations of readers must not be denied!
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next