Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Registration Process

+3
Skarain
Rick Manderson
Raenmar
7 posters

Go down

Registration Process Empty Registration Process

Post by Raenmar Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:01 pm

This is just a suggestion and a potential discussion. Before the thread gets filled with "OMG STOP MAKING DEMANDS" and all the other stuff suggestion threads tend to get filled up with, I'll make that clear.

I've directed a few people to DefiasRP in the past, and I've always had people ask me about the registration process because they have no idea how it works and why it takes so long.

From what I remember/have been told, accounts require manual activation by the mods before a registration post can be made and vouches collected (if I'm wrong, just disregard this thread). That seems entirely pointless, because it just means mods need to activate the accounts twice, second time with vouches. So, I think it'd be easier and clearer to remove the need for the first activation, or activate the account automatically with an email (possible on phpBB afaik).

Just a suggestion that I think would make DefiasRP a lot easier to use for new members of the community.
Raenmar
Raenmar

Character sheet
Name: Raenmar Alric
Title: Commander, Druid of the Wild

http://gilneas.guildlaunch.com

Back to top Go down

Registration Process Empty Re: Registration Process

Post by Rick Manderson Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:09 pm

I do agree. It would be much simpler and easier. Plus it cuts down on the time they have to wait. Smile

Rick Manderson

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Skarain Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:13 pm

There is also the question of disruptive posts, if to easy. The dedicated may wait.

Both got pros and cons.
Skarain
Skarain

Character sheet
Name: Skarain Feirand
Title: Mother of the Flame

Back to top Go down

Post by Raenmar Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:19 pm

There is also the question of disruptive posts, if to easy.

Are disruptive posts in the registration section really much of an issue, though?
Raenmar
Raenmar

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Ledgic Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Taking the initial activation off the list is a no-go. This forum receives hundreds of spam accounts. Removing that part of the process would have us doing -more- work clearing up the spam than the current registration process takes.

Also, accounts are activated daily. All of us with admin powers get emailed every time someone signs up to the forum, it's really no big deal. And people complaining about the wait time to be accepted confuse me. It's only the occasional registration that takes more than a day.
Ledgic
Ledgic

Character sheet
Name: Ledgic Kaden Caan
Title: Leader of The Old Town Syndicate

Back to top Go down

Post by John Helsythe Amaltheria Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:21 pm

I agree here with Raenmar. People I am directing to here tend to have problems too.

1: the system isn't keeping out trolls, gankers and imposters. The system is way too flawed, and therefore useless.

2: This means it only brings the long wait time and the confussion to newroleplayers/people who aren't well-versed around forums and all that yada, meaning there's in fact not a single pro for the current system.

And 3, although not that relevant: Alot of people don't even know why they vouch anyways. They tend to vouch for "Seen him around and he's good!" rather than a confirmation of whether it is an imposter or not. But again...not that relevant I suppose.
John Helsythe Amaltheria
John Helsythe Amaltheria

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ledgic Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:22 pm

Again. Not opening the floodgates for spam accounts.
Ledgic
Ledgic

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by John Helsythe Amaltheria Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:22 pm

This forum receives hundreds of spam accounts. Removing that part of the process would have us doing -more- work clearing up the spam than the current registration process takes.

Alright, that I did not know, fair.

Aye sorry Ledg. You posted your reply as I was writing mine, unfortunately.
John Helsythe Amaltheria
John Helsythe Amaltheria

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Raenmar Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:26 pm

Taking the initial activation off the list is a no-go. This forum receives hundreds of spam accounts. Removing that part of the process would have us doing -more- work clearing up the spam than the current registration process takes.

Having automatic email activation would still stop spam accounts.
Raenmar
Raenmar

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Ledgic Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:28 pm

You would think. Previous experience tells me otherwise, however.

Once again, I honestly fail to see what the issue is here. The only thing that would reduce the registration time without it being a pain in the ass for the admin side of the game is approving accounts based on talking to the person in-game.

We do that anyway. The process isn't confusing.
Ledgic
Ledgic

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Cathee Norris Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:31 pm

John Helsythe Amaltheria wrote:I agree here with Raenmar. People I am directing to here tend to have problems too.

1: the system isn't keeping out trolls, gankers and imposters. The system is way too flawed, and therefore useless.

2: This means it only brings the long wait time and the confussion to newroleplayers/people who aren't well-versed around forums and all that yada, meaning there's in fact not a single pro for the current system.

And 3, although not that relevant: Alot of people don't even know why they vouch anyways. They tend to vouch for "Seen him around and he's good!" rather than a confirmation of whether it is an imposter or not. But again...not that relevant I suppose.

Just a little clarification. We can't keep trolls, gankers and imposters out. That's for us to see later I suppose unless it's really obvious and we've caught rumors about a certain person or so on. The reason people do application and others vouch and moderators contact them, is because in the past we had imposters making accounts pretending to be other, known roleplayers.

Will have a look through it all once I have time though to see if I can make that point a bit more clear somewhere or make a guide or something Smile
Cathee Norris
Cathee Norris

Character sheet
Name: Cathee Piner
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Cathee Norris Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:35 pm

Also, Raenmar. We can have a look at trying to work out something better. However, we have tried different methods before. The one we're having right now has this far worked the best. Either way, once I'm done with school I will have a look in each section of the forum and try to update and tinker with some stuff.
Cathee Norris
Cathee Norris

Character sheet
Name: Cathee Piner
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Raenmar Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:46 pm

You would think. Previous experience tells me otherwise, however.

Hmm, okay. Understood.

We can have a look at trying to work out something better. However, we have tried different methods before. The one we're having right now has this far worked the best. Either way, once I'm done with school I will have a look in each section of the forum and try to update and tinker with some stuff.

Alright, good to hear Smile It's not a major problem, just something that could maybe be made easier for new members. But, maybe there's no working alternative. Just thought I'd give the suggestion anyway.
Raenmar
Raenmar

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaryl Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:21 pm

What are the anti-bot measures this forum has anyway?

Amaryl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down