Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Know thy crimes! Know thy sins! Can thou reach Heaven?

+27
Arabella Greene
Jeanpierre
Emrys
Amaryl
Feydor
Skarain
Lorainne/Bridlington
Antistia
Ishap/Virock
Osmand
Eowale
corleth
Braiden
Thelos
Silferdrake
Geneviève
Sanara
Sorayah
Shaelyssa
Gahalla
Seranita
Dréfurion
Timna
Kristeas Sunbinder
Drustai
Lexgrad
Melnerag
31 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

Know thy crimes! Know thy sins! Can thou reach Heaven? - Page 6 Empty Re: Know thy crimes! Know thy sins! Can thou reach Heaven?

Post by Morinth Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:23 pm

I will create this Kaldorei, and I will succeed!
Morinth
Morinth

Character sheet
Name: Captain Morinth
Title: Queen of the Pirates! (self-proclaimed!)

Back to top Go down

Know thy crimes! Know thy sins! Can thou reach Heaven? - Page 6 Empty Re: Know thy crimes! Know thy sins! Can thou reach Heaven?

Post by Eowale Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:59 pm

Eówale is both an apostate and a heathen. He renounced his faith in the Light the day he was ressurected as a Death Knight, follows the Forgotten Shadow (Pretty much the opposite of the Holy Light) and has pledged his soul to Phelgas. And he's in no position to convert either. Y'know, undead, powered by Unholy, etc. All of that lovelyness.
Eowale
Eowale

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaryl Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:15 pm

Punching JP in the nose made Amy a Despoiler xD

Amaryl

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:26 pm

Lexgrad... the Undead Anethion. The light works through him to save all his kind.
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Timna Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:40 pm

As said by a friend, who also asked me to post (Víncent)

The only ones Vincent hasn't comitted are Sodomy, Frolicking and Leisure as far as I can see.
Timna
Timna

Character sheet
Name: Timna
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:25 pm

TBH Vincent, if you have done that many forget about heaven and redemption, try to do the whole list. XD
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by corleth Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:33 am

Timna wrote:The only ones Vincent hasn't comitted are Sodomy, Frolicking and Leisure as far as I can see.
So, he's killed people, he's sold, snatched, bargained away and destroyed souls, he's worked with demons, he's a blasphemer, denier of the revelation and a misotheist. But he hasn't done anal.

He might get into heaven.
corleth
corleth

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Coppersocket Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:47 am

Coppersocket -

Criminal, Meddler, Witchcraft, Intellectual Arrogance, Treason, Murder, Harm, Theft, Adultery, Deception, Insult, Denying Aid, Mockery, Spreading Ill Rumors, Arrogance, Selfishness, Wrath, last but not least Prejudice.
Coppersocket
Coppersocket

Character sheet
Name: Mineral Coppersocket
Title: Street Sweeper, Jeweler

Back to top Go down

Post by Skaraa Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:22 am

Speculation prompted by this thread:

Firstly, I don't really think heaven is a distinct concept in the Holy Light. Being at one with the Light and the Universe is. Though that is very different to heaven.

Secondly, you've turned the Holy Light into the Catholic Church! Razz
I don't think shadow magic is something that someone who truly understands the light, certainly not someone who follows the Naaru, can be completely against. Shadow is as much a part of the universe as Light, indeed there can be no light without shadow, and there can be no shadow without light. Just as the Naaru go through their darkened stages, so too does the universe have to contain shadow.
What the main issue is, really, is what that shadow is used for. The darkness that Velen talks about fighting is that of the Burning Legion and their Fel magic, not the shadow which makes up half the universe (and, indeed, half of a Naaru's very being).

For the Human church, great. But I don't think Blood Elves or Draenei would take half these 'sins' seriously. Besides, the Light is not a religion based on wrongdoings, punishment, and sin. It is a philosophy based on a set of basic tenants in the hope of becoming at one with the Holy Light (and universe).
Skaraa
Skaraa

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Skarain Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:37 am

Anethionism is a Human Religion. Other race is yet to get their prophets Razz. They suffer a lightless existance until that day, and before that they can't be redeemed AND MUST BUUUUUUURN FOR THEIR SINS!!!
Skarain
Skarain

Character sheet
Name: Skarain Feirand
Title: Mother of the Flame

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:49 pm

Skaraa wrote:
I don't think shadow magic is something that someone who truly understands the light, certainly not someone who follows the Naaru, can be completely against. Shadow is as much a part of the universe as Light, indeed there can be no light without shadow, and there can be no shadow without light. Just as the Naaru go through their darkened stages, so too does the universe have to contain shadow.

I don't really understand this kind of reasoning. Just because something is a part of the universe, we're supposed to accept it? Pah! The devils and sins exist, which makes resisting and denying them all the more meaningful. Will we stop being Human (or Draenei, whatever) when we rid ourselves of these natural things? Probably. Is transcending the mortal condition a classical religious tennent? Definately!

The Draenei certainly understand that the Shadow is part of the cosmos. That doesn't mean that they have to like it or accept it. just like how many Christian schools of thought accept Evil as a real, ontological substance, but don't exactly accept it any more for it!
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Seranita Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:01 pm

skarain!! noooo!! how much did they convert you juring your forced conscription!! *weeps*
Seranita
Seranita

Character sheet
Name: Monrena
Title: Trainee Vindicator/engeneer

Back to top Go down

Post by Skaraa Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:12 pm

Thelos wrote:
Skaraa wrote:

I don't really understand this kind of reasoning. Just because something is a part of the universe, we're supposed to accept it? Pah! The devils and sins exist, which makes resisting and denying them all the more meaningful. Will we stop being Human (or Draenei, whatever) when we rid ourselves of these natural things? Probably. Is transcending the mortal condition a classical religious tennent? Definately!

The Draenei certainly understand that the Shadow is part of the cosmos. That doesn't mean that they have to like it or accept it. just like how many Christian schools of thought accept Evil as a real, ontological substance, but don't exactly accept it any more for it!

They do not have to like it, no. But they -do- have to accept it. Even if they kill every last demon and Shadow magic-user, Shadow is still a part of the cosmos and a part of the Naaru. Light cannot exist without Shadow. Think of them as being positive and negative, to call something positive is meaningless if there is no such thing as negative. There are many nouns in language which are like this, meaningless without their counterparts, and Light and Shadow are like this in relation to the philosophy of the Light on Azeroth.

Good and Evil are subjective terms, meaningless without the other. To say something is good with no apprehension of what is not good is meaningless. Light and Dark, in Warcraft, practically refer to good and evil in this way, even if they do not it is still nonsensical to refer to something as being 'Light' with nothing to contrast it to.

And yes, if something is part of the universe we -do- have to accept it. Pretending we did not discover something, or the evidence is not there, does nothing for us or for Human civilisation. Wishful thinking does not change the way the universe works.
Also, I do not believe that devils do exist in the Warcraft setting (Demons are, to my mind, something different). If you were speaking from a real life perspective, I would love to see your evidence for that extraordinary assertion. Smile

Also, Thelos, I -love- your signature. Is that a Mind Flayer?
Skaraa
Skaraa

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:24 pm

Skaraa wrote:
Thelos wrote:
Skaraa wrote:

They do not have to like it, no. But they -do- have to accept it. Even if they kill every last demon and Shadow magic-user, Shadow is still a part of the cosmos and a part of the Naaru. Light cannot exist without Shadow. Think of them as being positive and negative, to call something positive is meaningless if there is no such thing as negative. There are many nouns in language which are like this, meaningless without their counterparts, and Light and Shadow are like this in relation to the philosophy of the Light on Azeroth.

This kind of logic really doesn't apply to religion. The idea that 'Light cannot exist without Shadow', while perhaps accurate logically, detracts from the divine power of the Light. Light can exist without Shadow, because the Light is the Light. It is divine and can do anything.

Good and Evil are subjective terms, meaningless without the other. To say something is good with no apprehension of what is not good is meaningless. Light and Dark, in Warcraft, practically refer to good and evil in this way, even if they do not it is still nonsensical to refer to something as being 'Light' with nothing to contrast it to.

Again, good and evil are not subjective by religious standards. They are very defined concepts. The Shadow is the antithesis of Light worship... it is ideologically opposite. Where the Light gives and nurtures, the Shadow takes and destroys. Light is altruism, Shadow is selfishness. Shadow is sin. It is natural but it is not good and all faithful worshipers of the Light would do all they could to resist, combat, and eliminate this evil, completely.

And yes, if something is part of the universe we -do- have to accept it. Pretending we did not discover something, or the evidence is not there, does nothing for us or for Human civilisation. Wishful thinking does not change the way the universe works.

Again, you're talking from a non-religious standpoint. As far as religion is concerned, the universe is not so cut and dry.
Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet
Name: Archmage Drustai
Title: The Necromancer

Back to top Go down

Post by Skaraa Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:33 pm

You are correct, Drustai. Thank you for blowing me out of the water there. I allowed logical perceptions of the real world to cloud what should have been my character's perceptions of a fantastical world. I know that I am guilty of doing the same, more so, from a biological standpoint - with the cross-breeds and such.

One does not simply judge the World (of Warcraft) by the standards of the (Real) World. ^^

I was wrong to do so.
Skaraa
Skaraa

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Melnerag Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:44 pm

Lets not forget that Anethionism is a religion made by a bunch of traumatized, clerics trying to create an ideology that will make sure something like the fall of Lordaeron would never....ever...EVER happen again.

So sin places a part in it. 'Sin' is a weakness. Sin is anything that makes you even remotely weak. In the end, Anethionism is probably not about reaching the Light or being a good person but forging an invincible society that can exist forever and absorb all the shocks. The Light is in it because men who made it were Clerics, if they weren't they would have still made something similar but had it as a political ideology.
Melnerag
Melnerag

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6