Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Title for Gold?

+8
Valerias
Rmuffn
Lexgrad
Ehrfürchtige Bennedict
Magaskawee/Anaei
Gahalla
Cid
Melnerag
12 posters

Go down

Title for Gold? Empty Title for Gold?

Post by Melnerag Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:38 am

There are plenty of examples in history when monarchs were selling noble titles in exchange for big money. Those who purchased them, were not that well-received by the nobility of course, but their children and children of children were.

Sophyra is after a title for some while now, and I reasoned that marriage is out of the question. Considering her origin&reputation, even if she DOES find some foolish young noble who would marry her, his family would lock him in the cellar and beat sense into him. So purchasing the title sounds like the obvious Plan B.

Do you think King Varian is desperate enough to start selling titles, and if so, how expensive would they be?
Melnerag
Melnerag

Back to top Go down

Title for Gold? Empty Re: Title for Gold?

Post by Cid Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:34 am

Given the economic crisis they're (Humans) suffering now, I wouldn't say it is impossible for them to sell a few titles in exchange for loads of gold.
Cid
Cid

Character sheet
Name: Cid Blackforge
Title: Captain of the Guard

Back to top Go down

Post by Gahalla Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:55 am

The matter is a bit tricky, sovereigns didn't exactly sell titles as much as give them in exchange for some sort of compensation. The difference is hairfine, you could put it like this: If you can provide the monarch with something he/she needs (a loan, a fleet, an army etc.) then he'll probably reward you with a title.

The key words being "he needs". Varian won't hand out a title just because you have money. He will probably do it if you can loan him money he needs right now though. Or if you promise to raise him a large proper military regiment. Or comission a few vessels for his fleet.

There's an alternative though, and that's the most common form of nobility. That you'd be appointed to oversee a province. You're given a fief and a time limit, if you can make the province safe and productive (ie. pays the kings taxes) in X years it's yours. If not another person will be appointed to the fief. And Westfall is a true mess right now.

Overall I'd say that Varian is not desperate, but not above giving out a title in return for say a couple of warships or a fully outfitted and trained regiment. He'd probably also give out a title in return for returning some order to Westfall, Redridge or Duskwood I'd say.
Lower nobility, naturally.

As for what it'd cost? Well, I'd expect building a warship is lots of money. Quick count... it'd take about 2 years to commission one, and it usually have some 100 people working on it in the wharf. 100 men* 730 days * say... 4 silvers/day means 292,000 silvers or 2,920 gold just for wages. Then in addition there's crew you'll have to pay for (training). Hundreds of tonnes of Wood. Tar. Rope. Pitch. Canvass. Gunpowder. Between 10 and 60 cannons (there's a couple of hundred gold just there). Rent and commission fee from the wharf it's built in. A bunch of bribes. Security. And so on.
I could easily imagine a warship going up towards 5,000 gold (assuming median wage for artisans is 3 silvers/day) and you'd probably have to make two. Minimum.
Setting up a regiment is about similar (4 silvers a day for a 1200 men and three months training 4 * 1200 * 61 = 28400 silvers or 28,4 gold. Then suits of armour and weapons for all of them. Easily a few gold each. About a hundred officers. Lots of money right there. Support staff. Cheaper to create but part of the deal is that you keep supporting them to an extent).
A loan would be on the same level.

Basically.. One monster of a debt. That's what it'd cost.
On the upside... if you can cough it up you're pretty much guaranteed not only a title but a position at court. (and if you fund two warships you're going straight to high nobility, I assure you)
Gahalla
Gahalla

Character sheet
Name: Gahalla rose
Title: Doctor

Back to top Go down

Post by Melnerag Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:25 am

It sounds easier to hire some aspiring adventurer for a couple of gold and a pair of boots, and have him slay a dragon in your name!

But aye, it is a huge expense. Even if Sophyra is nicking everything that is not nailed to the floor and exploiting every opportunity, that ammount of money is just astronomical! Guess another alternative is to find an empowerished noble family who are ready to suffer a rep-blow in exchange for monetary support and gaining Sophyra's buisnesses into the family.
Melnerag
Melnerag

Back to top Go down

Post by Gahalla Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:34 am

Or just get an influental noble to recommend Sophyra's skill at management next time the situation in Westfall comes up as a topic in the King's council. With a few well places bribes (in the 5-10 gold level, making the same assumptions as before) and some proper credentials Sophyra might be able to get a small holding on arrendation (nobility through service) after a interview.

She'd have to spend some money getting that holding into proper shape the next few years. But that'd be the "cheap" ticket into nobility.
Gahalla
Gahalla

Character sheet
Name: Gahalla rose
Title: Doctor

Back to top Go down

Post by Melnerag Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:37 am

Aye, but troubles of westfall are of such a magnitude that it will take at least a demonic legion to set them straight! So it is like nobility-through-russian-roulette. You win or you die!

Although, a very sound alternative! Should give it a thought.
Melnerag
Melnerag

Back to top Go down

Post by Magaskawee/Anaei Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:10 pm

Anaei has 'sold' titles to fund the war effort. Jus' sayin'!

Although I find the prospect very Stuart! Charles I sold titles to attempt to severe his requirement of pariliament however it caused uproar amongst the nobility. Varian doesn't strike me as someone who cares about titles anymore, (barbarian). I'd say grease a few politician's hands and Sophyra's -great- achievements could be brought to the King for example in magical research. Totally bypass the House of Nobles.
Magaskawee/Anaei
Magaskawee/Anaei

Character sheet
Name: Magaskawee Grimtotem
Title: Elder Crone of the Banner of the Bloodhoof

Back to top Go down

Post by Melnerag Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:32 pm

Pff! It is better to a hobo in Stormwind, than a noble in Stromgarde.

And I doubt the King awards titles for academic achievements.
Melnerag
Melnerag

Back to top Go down

Post by Ehrfürchtige Bennedict Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:38 pm

Gahalla wrote:
As for what it'd cost? Well, I'd expect building a warship is lots of money. Quick count... it'd take about 2 years to commission one, and it usually have some 100 people working on it in the wharf. 100 men* 730 days * say... 4 silvers/day means 292,000 silvers or 2,920 gold just for wages. Then in addition there's crew you'll have to pay for (training). Hundreds of tonnes of Wood. Tar. Rope. Pitch. Canvass. Gunpowder. Between 10 and 60 cannons (there's a couple of hundred gold just there). Rent and commission fee from the wharf it's built in. A bunch of bribes. Security. And so on.
I could easily imagine a warship going up towards 5,000 gold (assuming median wage for artisans is 3 silvers/day) and you'd probably have to make two. Minimum.
Setting up a regiment is about similar (4 silvers a day for a 1200 men and three months training 4 * 1200 * 61 = 28400 silvers or 28,4 gold. Then suits of armour and weapons for all of them. Easily a few gold each. About a hundred officers. Lots of money right there. Support staff. Cheaper to create but part of the deal is that you keep supporting them to an extent).
A loan would be on the same level.

Actually a WHARF is a WareHouse At River Front, so it'd be built at a dock rather than a warehouse Razz
Ehrfürchtige Bennedict
Ehrfürchtige Bennedict

Character sheet
Name: Bennedict Omarosand
Title: Sir, Disciple of Light

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:10 pm

Exaythe wrote:It sounds easier to hire some aspiring adventurer for a couple of gold and a pair of boots, and have him slay a dragon in your name!

But aye, it is a huge expense. Even if Sophyra is nicking everything that is not nailed to the floor and exploiting every opportunity, that ammount of money is just astronomical! Guess another alternative is to find an empowerished noble family who are ready to suffer a rep-blow in exchange for monetary support and gaining Sophyra's buisnesses into the family.

The Buckholmes might be interested in talking with you, they are well rich however already, but for more money/power they might.
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Melnerag Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:27 pm

Thanks for the offer, Dreth, but Sophyra is very demanding. She wants the title, without losing out on freedom. And marrying into an already powerful house puts her in a weak position.
Melnerag
Melnerag

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:12 pm

I doubt marriages would occur really, Jarric would want a high high ranking and placid wife XD. But if you want to do business at some point im sure our chars could get on.

In other news Dreth hasnt forgot about you XD
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Melnerag Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:58 pm

Dreth would just love to see Sophyra in chains, but for reasons other than justice. He just can't admit it, even to himself!

Annd...make it buisness -and- pleasure!
Melnerag
Melnerag

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:28 pm

Business and pleasure it will be. I doubt Jarric will be lured into any bad deals by fluttering eye lids or a sweet smile!

Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rmuffn Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:28 pm

Stormwind's dark skinned N1 female-slut is on a rampage again! ;O

And no it isn't Tr-.. I'll just edit the first sentence.
Rmuffn
Rmuffn

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Valerias Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:35 pm

Sophy's always on the rampage. That's why we all love her.
Valerias
Valerias

Character sheet
Name: 'Lady' Vale
Title: courtesan

Back to top Go down

Post by Magaskawee/Anaei Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:04 pm

Exaythe wrote:Pff! It is better to a hobo in Stormwind, than a noble in Stromgarde.

And I doubt the King awards titles for academic achievements.

Some notable Arathorian nobles being the Founder of Humanity and Four Stormwind Ministers. So suck it.
Magaskawee/Anaei
Magaskawee/Anaei

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Melnerag Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:16 pm

If it is so good to be an arathorian noble, then wth are they doing in Stormwind? huh?
Melnerag
Melnerag

Back to top Go down

Post by Flo Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:19 pm

Back off.

I'm the fucking president of Batman Inc in DC:U!

Behold my massive claim of importance!

EDIT: Let's get back on-topic.
Flo
Flo

Character sheet
Name: Sanaje
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ron Sexton Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:45 pm

Exaythe wrote:If it is so good to be an arathorian noble, then wth are they doing in Stormwind? huh?

Aesthetic needed to be put down.
Ron Sexton
Ron Sexton

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Krogon Devilstep Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:38 pm

Its also quite reasonable that people can gain titles or nobility through acts such as charity, like building an orphanage...

theres also the flip side of war heroes gaining titles or social ranks. Seiken (when i played him) had quite a big title, and it was controversial that i should take it up without good merit initially, but over time (and with the spilling of orc and troll blood) i earned it.

Its easy enough to claim a title, or buy one, or earn one. Making it worth something to be revered, thats the tricky bit.

you could be a prince and be loathed, or be a mere knight and be a champion of the people. all about public perception i feel.
Krogon Devilstep
Krogon Devilstep

Character sheet
Name: Krogon Devilstep
Title: Blademaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Shaelyssa Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:51 pm

Can't Sophyra just become the king's mistress? Wrap him around her little finger and she'd have control over the entire kingdom through him!!!!
Shaelyssa
Shaelyssa

Character sheet
Name: Shaelyssa Bladesinger
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:04 pm

The king is a wimp too, always QQing about something, soph could totally give him the "awww there there" *strokes arm* treatment XD
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rmuffn Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:26 pm

Shaelyssa wrote:Can't Sophyra just become the king's mistress? Wrap him around her little finger and she'd have control over the entire kingdom through him!!!!

She's been dreaming alot about that actually. I can think of atleast 6 times I've heard her mention that ICly. Very Happy
Rmuffn
Rmuffn

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Magaskawee/Anaei Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:44 pm

Shaelyssa wrote:Can't Sophyra just become the king's mistress? Wrap him around her little finger and she'd have control over the entire kingdom through him!!!!

I think if Varian can avoid a beautiful blonde 'queen' who is devistatingly loyal to him and works in his name who must remind him of his beloved Tiffin he's probably not into a dark skinned hoebag!
Magaskawee/Anaei
Magaskawee/Anaei

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down