Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[story] The ruby heart, part 1-2-3-4-5-6

2 posters

Go down

[story] The ruby heart, part 1-2-3-4-5-6 Empty [story] The ruby heart, part 1-2-3-4-5-6

Post by Jeanpierre Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:52 pm

((A short story, continuing on the history of Gavriel Bloomfield.))

Part 1
---- 8 years ago, summer

Two guards at the Westfall tower were laughing hard. Their voices echoed between the hills. The left one, Gavriel, continues the joke
"Maybe ye can bend 'is arm enough to shove a finger up his own rear! That'll teach 'm for being a pain in the ass."
Another laugh bouldered down the hill of the Westfall tower. Gav and Roach were having their favorite pass time activity during guard duty. "A royal welcome", they called the game, a creativity contest in mutilations to fallen Defias Brotherhood associates. While Gav and Roach proved masters of the game, they didn't prove true to their words when confronted with the opportunity to execute them. "That ain't right" was Gav's usual explanation for it. His stern stare and large stature usually added enough weight to the argument to make it work. A few times his right fist or boot would aid those who wouldn't listen.

"Still laughing with the same subtlety you wield your plough, Gav?" a merry voice sounded to their left. Gavriel turned, his mouth had fallen open with surprise. He'd recognize that voice anywhere. A young, red haired woman was climbing up the hill with some difficulty. Her simple clothing and wide skirt revealed an older age than the girl. Her fair face, bright smile and the dancing curls in her hair lend her a startling appearance, further blessed by her young but grown up age. Roach stared in amazement as he saw the young woman run up, jump in Gavriel's arms and give him a gentle kiss on his cheek. Gavriel spun her around, like he would with a child and they giggled. Roach didn't think Gavriel could giggle before now. It looked odd. He also guessed the girl ten years younger than Gavriel and.. far too fair for Gavriel to manage a score with that.

Gavriel gently put the girl down and swung his arm around her, walking up to his fellow guard.
"Roach, this is Suzan. My kid sister." Roach smiled broadly and dusted off his hand before offering it to her. She offer her hand, palm downwards for a kiss instead of a shake. Hesitantly Roach bowed and kissed her hand, uncontrollably staring at the woman's bosom along the way. He quickly veered up, realizing the danger he was in. Gavriel gave him a destructive glare.

"Roach, is it?". She inspected the young guard.
"Nicolas... Roach is what they call me here."
"So, what were you two boys laughing about?" Suzan asked Gavriel
"Euh.. Creative decorations." he replied and tapped her shoulder a sign to let that subject rest. He took a good look at her and noticed she had matured quite a bit since the last time he saw her. The round cut out blouse laid her neck and collar bones bare. The blouse would lend itself to dreams about the parts that it still covered. Gavriel shook his head disapprovingly. "You're all grown up... You'll attract more men than I can beat to pulp, Suz."
She smiled broadly. "You like it?"
"Other men will. So, no. Besides I'm on duty. Wouldn't look good if I have to beat the farmers who we try to protect."
She rolled her eyes, almost in identical fashion to Gavriel.
"Fine. I'll find myself a room in the inn and lock myself up." She mocked him.
"You chaps be good now. I'll see you tonight for supper." She waved and walked off, half hopping, joyful and careless.

Gavriel looked pained. He kept silent, thinking about another thing he saw.. or rather, didn't. The bare neck didn't wear the necklace in the shape of a heart he bought for her ten years ago. Despite working on the family's farm, they needed the extra coin. Gavriel carried the responsibility as oldest son to pull extra weight. As a solution, he worked as a lumberer whenever the farm could spare him. His hard work allowed him to save a few small coins for himself which he hoped to save for a weapon, dreaming to become a glorious hero someday. Instead of a sword, however, he bought a necklace with a medallion in the shape of a heart and a tiny ruby from a traveling salesman. He felt his sister's heart meant more to him. She had been crying over some lost love for weeks. He gave her the necklace, naming it "The ruby heart". He explaining that from now on she would always have his heart with her. It didn't mend her broken heart but she did smile for the first time in weeks. It also scared many boys off, believing a more wealthy man was trying to win her hand, which Gavriel considered a bonus when he heard of it. It probably wouldn't suffice for a lady of nobility, but for simple farmers and lumberers it was a rarely seen luxury.

The guards stared accross the fields. Roach was the first to break the silence. "Gav... You might call me brother in law someday."
"Chap, if you lay one of your damned paws on her and I'll call you stew."

---- 9 years ago, spring

Suzan was washing clothes by the river bank in Eastvale. She heard steps, flapping in the mud, approach her and she looked up, staring back in two enormous eyes. With a gasp, she fell back and tried to crawl up the river bank, away from the murloc on the other side of the river. The slippery bank, the mud still deep from the winter thaw, foiled her uncontrolled attempt to flee. With their typical odd roar the murluc lunged forward, through the river. But he never made it to the other side. A young man made a long jump in the river and hacked his sword in the unsuspecting murlock's head, leaving a trail of blood in the river.

He crawled to the bank and rinsed his sword. Turning around he smiled, "Do not fear, my lady dear!" he bowed and continued his rhyme, "For a damsel in distress, I'd gladly make such a mess. But the danger is gone, my presentation nearly done. Jonas is the name.. bravery is my fame. My lady, would you dare? To say the name, of a face so fair?"
He offered her a hand to help her up, with a broad boyish smile that magicked away her fear and shock.

She smiled in return and accepted the offer. He didn't seem to heed her muddy hand and clothing. She must have looked shaken and her clothes displaced from her crawling, revealing the necklace. "Suzan. Thank you, Sir Jonas." The boy ran his clean hand through his elegant, mid long, dark hair.
"I'm not a Knight, fair lady, but I do fight against injustice."
Half curious, half charming he continued. "Such a fair face and such a fair necklace. What nobleman fancies you, my lady?"

Last edited by Jeanpierre on Fri May 06, 2011 2:48 pm; edited 5 times in total
Jeanpierre
Jeanpierre

http://www.disciplesoflight.eu

Back to top Go down

[story] The ruby heart, part 1-2-3-4-5-6 Empty Re: [story] The ruby heart, part 1-2-3-4-5-6

Post by Valerias Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:57 pm

Ah, Gavriel, what's happened to him IC? I did like his character! And this story is charming; I'll be sure to be following it.
Valerias
Valerias

Character sheet
Name: 'Lady' Vale
Title: courtesan

Back to top Go down

[story] The ruby heart, part 1-2-3-4-5-6 Empty Re: [story] The ruby heart, part 1-2-3-4-5-6

Post by Jeanpierre Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:13 pm

He's "around" Wink
Soon to come back as a warrior.

And thanks Smile
Jeanpierre
Jeanpierre

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeanpierre Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:39 pm

Part 2
---- 8 years ago, summer

The inn table was laden with militia eating their supper. Gavriel and Suzan were tucked away on one end.
"So, Suz.. How are the folks at home?", Gavriel was muching the potatoes loudly while he spoke. A part of his potatoes fell out of his mouth on the table. He picked it up and continued his smacking noise. Suzan, much to the surprise of the people around, ate and spoke in similar fashion.
"Pap's fine, Gav. Fred's working the farm a lot now. We miss ye arms to help out, but not that mouth of yours. It was hard work te feed."
They laughed with mouths closed, afraid to loose more of their meal.

Suzan's down to earth style and fair face may have proven an odd combination, but it didn't seem to lack effect on the militia men around her. It made her approachable and Gavriel had to glare a few times to keep them from getting more bold in their glances. But Suzan's flair was getting the overhand on the guy next to Gavriel, who ended up staring at her bosom.
"Ey! Spider! Don't drown yourself in there." another man shouted and the group laughed. Spider looked up to his left and stammered a reply. Gavriel took advantage of this distraction to take Spider's plate, shove all the food from it on his own plate and putting it back. Spider turned his head and glared at Gav.
- "Damn it Gav, that is -my- food!"
Gavriel swung his right hand to the man's head and slammed his face on the table.
"And that is -my- sister, chap."
Suzan interrupted him.
- "Come now Gav. That ain't proper."
With a grunt, he released the man's head.
"Right. Sorry about yer head, chap." Gav cleared his throat and spat on his plate, mixing the spit in the food with his fork. When Spider left the table in defeat, Gav continued to eat the food triumphantly, mashing as loudly as usual.
- "Why you chaps call him Spider for?"
"All chaps get a name here, Suz. First week ye come here, ye get a prank that decides your name. We put spiders in his bed." The militiamen laughed and nodded in approval of the memory of the prank.
- "And Roach?"
"In his food." Again they laughed.
- "What's yours?"
He smiled broadly and look around at the militiamen, inviting them to tell the tale.
- "Gav made himself enough of a name in the first days, madame." one spoke up, eager to get in on the conversation and her attention.
"Actually", Gav took over in hurry, "the guy who tried to prank me ended up making himself a new name."
He wiped his mouth with the back of his hand as he swallowed some food. The militia men turned silent, in suspense of her reaction.
- "What's he called now then?"
"Shitface."
The militiamen bursted in loud laughter and cheered, raising their meads. Suzan rolled her eyes and raised a hand.
- "I can guess the rest. Same old, eh, Gav?"
He nodded proudly.
- "What happened to the poor bastard?"
"He couldn't take it to be called tha'. He left two years ago. Good sword arm but needed some sense talked into 'm. So what ye here for lass, and all alone? Did mom sent ye? I doubt paps would let ye."
- "Nah. I told 'em I wanted to visit the town. Maybe strike some cheaper grain. See you again. Hard to get news from ye."
"It ain't a safe road.. and it ain't safe to be here. Them Defias chaps are still about."
- "Don't worry. I was... careful."
"I'll make sure ye get back safely. I'll lead a patrol to bring ye to Westbrook."
- "I don't intend to leave right away." she replied matter of factly.
"But Suz.. "
- "Tuck it, Gav. I'm not going back just yet."
"Damn Lass. It ain't safe."
- "I'm safe."
"And where ye going to stay?"
- "How about 'ere?"
"With what pay?"
- "Sure tha' keeper could use a hand with you chaps. And I can handle tha'. I'm used to handling you."
A few militia men laughed softly as they overheard the conversation. Gav laughed as well, though a second and frown later.
"Aye lass. So... What else ye gonna do around here?"
- "Why don't you show me around."
Gavriel smiled and nodded.

---- 9 years ago, summer

Suzan gently stroked Jonas' bare chest with her left hand. She wished these moments lasted forever. She looked up at him as he was staring at the roof in thoughts, caressing her shoulder absently. She loved everything about him. She loved how refined he was. She loved how he looked. She loved how he spoke to her. She loved how he listened to everything she wanted to say, from important dreams to the things she had seen and done that day. She loved to talk about her daily doings and he seemed interested in every detail.
For a brief moment she glanced at their pile of clothes. The ruby heart lay on top, shining brightly at her. Perhaps she ought to give it to him. She bit her lip, suppressing a laugh at the thought of letting him wear only that necklace from now on.

She cuddled up closer to him and laid her head on his chest, dreaming away. She adjusted the blanket to make sure his warmth would stay with her as they lay comfortably in the hay. His arms around her gave her a feeling of safety unlike she had never known... as if a new border was drawn around them where the world had come to peace and couldn't possibly be disturbed. She could openly speak with him about everything and never have to fear.
Jeanpierre
Jeanpierre

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeanpierre Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:46 pm

Part 3

---- 8 years ago, summer

"So, lass, the situation is like this... Weapons be hard to get. Neither of us really can hold the mines long enough. Coals be hard to get. The chap with the weapon is strongest."
Gav walked his sister through the facilities of the town till they reached a shabby looking small house, barely big enough te house a family. "We stocked them weapons over 'ere, hidden in public. That tower up ahead would be too obvious and risky for them snakes. These weapons are worth a damn good fight over."
- "Right." Suzan sighed. "Sounds like a mess."
"Aye. They have surprise on their side, Suz. We mislead 'm to keep us safe. Can't let them bastards know a thing. Have a secret language and hand gestures te help us with that."
- "Secret?". Suzan smiles amuzed. "Let me guess.."
"Aye... taught them that, I did."
Suzan laughed.
- "The big chaps and their games in battle, eh?"
Gav nodded and smiled. Suzan and Gavriel developed a secret language as children, both spoken and in gestures, so they could coordinate their mischievous plans even when forced to remain in the same room as their parents.
"They haven't guessed its meaning nor this stash yet." he explained.
They walked back to the inn, recalling some of their evil deeds as a kid. Gavriel nearly confessed regretting being so hard on his parents.

"Lass, I need te ask ye... What happened to that ruby heart of yers? Ye aren't wearing it, that's fer sure. And it ain't safe to let about."
Suzan turned read, her mind started pacing. She knew Gav would see through a flat out lie. Would he notice only half a truth? Her mind was racing. She needed an answer fast. With a feigned sigh she tried to look sad at Gavriel.
- "I'm so sorry, Gav. It was taken from me. By a thief." In thoughts she added 'who stole my heart'. She bit her lip, praying she would be forgiven this lie.
"A thief? Damn bastard! If ever I get my hands on 'm, he'll wish he was never born." Gav, stomped the floor and cursed. "When did that happen?"
- "On the way to Westfall.."
"What?! Ye said it was safe."
- "I didn't wanted to make more out of it."
"It is a big deal, lass."
- "I got away safely... He fled when I reached the sight of this town."
"Damn. Damn... If it's one of em Defias bastards I'll get him."

The skies turned dark, so Gavriel headed off to speak with the commander of the militia regarding his soon to come nightshift, brooding evil thoughts and a new "Royal Welcome". Suzan hastily ran to her room and grabbed a readily packed bag. She didn't have much time left. She'd have to sneak out during the changing of the guards and return in the morning with the next change.

---- 8 years ago, spring

Jonas held her trembling hand.
- "I must go, my lady. This task awaits me."
"I don't want you to go.. I.. want you to stay with me."
- "I can not neglect this duty."
"Jonas, you will have to confront my father some day. I will not hide you and our love forever. I think I deserved that at least."
- "And present myself like this? This task lies on my path to being accepted by my mother's niece. Then I shall be able to present myself in finer clothes, and a brighter future. He will think better of me."

Suzan had her face cast down, unable to bear the sight of him saying goodbye. The confusion hurt her so deeply she couldn't breath. Why couldn't he just be presented to her father, have a marriage and settle down?
Jonas looked intently at her, measuring her every reaction,
- "I do not wish to be separated and be sent alone to Westfall... If only we could remain together.."
Suzan looked up, not sure if it was her idea but her heart leapt at the thought.
"Can't I come with you?"
- "To Westfall? But it would be dangerous... Especially where I may remain..."
Jonas placed a hand on his chin. He didn't seem oddly careful with picking his words.
- "Could you not stay with your brother there? What was his name? Gav?"
Suzan nodded firmly, hope being rekindled in her heart and burning so fiercely she did not think it through fully.
- "I will walk you to Westfall, my lady. I shall disappear before the town catches sight of me, however. It is best my presence remains secret. I'll send word for my team to await me."
Jonas pauzed a second and his lips curled to a gentle smile.
- "At night, my lady.. you could come visit me, when all is quiet and nobody will see you. We can talk of your day and all you have seen, and all we wish to see together in the future."
Suzan frowned softly. This wasn't entirely what she was hoping for. Reluctantly she agreed, not wanting to disappoint the love of her life.

---- 8 years ago, summer, right before Suzan arrived at Westfall

Suzan held Jonas firmly, with no intention of letting him go. A few pleads from Jonas later she finally released him and kissed him one last time. Then a thought crossed her mind and she reached for her necklace, the ruby heart and gave it to Jonas.
"To keep you safe.. My heart is always with you."
Jonas looked grieved by the gesture, but nodded and accepted it.
- "I'm sorry my Lady. This will be over soon. We just need to end this fight."
After another intimate kiss, they parted.

Suzan walked up the hill of the Westfall guard tower. Jonas showed her a far more refined manner of speech and life... But as her love was a secret, and Jonas' presence was too, she'd have to hide that change in her. She loosened the dress at her shoulders a bit. She'd force herself to behave as natural as Gavriel was used of her. As she walked up the hill, she could hear two men laughing loud. One of them sounded very familiar. She laughed softly, remembering how deeply she had missed her brother.
"Still laughing with the same subtlety you wield your plough, Gav?"
Jeanpierre
Jeanpierre

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeanpierre Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:07 pm

Part 4: Betrayed.

---- 8 years ago, nearing the end of the summer

A horn called the alarm. Gavriel rolled to his left, out of bed and jumped in his boots. He grabbed a leather vest and a belt with his dagger. He unsheathed his shabby sword and tossed the sheath on the bed. Gilded shield in left, sword in right... half in his underwear, he ran out of the inn expecting a fight at its very door. He was surprised by a lack of resistance. It wasn't like the Defias to pass on an easy strike at the sleeping militia.

A clammer of swords came from behind the smaller buildings. Bandits, like a rushing wave but with planned precision, were fighting around it. Gavriel could feel the hair in his neck rise as he shouted to any guards near him: "The weapon storage!".

He lead a small group to the battle and started shouting some orders to get their improvised defense in order. "Ye three, on me. Roach! The rest support the line!"
- "Right beside you, Gav" was Roach's reply.
They ran off to the right, hoping to create a threat on the Defias flank and force a retreat. They wouldn't last long if they charged in head first. Gavriel bossed around for an aggressive defense.
"Just pressure! We'll fall back in time."
By feigning charges, occasionally attacking and pulling back before they got overwhelmed, they managed to occupy the flank and weaken their resolve on the front line. It demanded immense effort, and his troops quickly began to show signs of fatigue. The race against time had begun.

A tall defias archer looking over his troops glanced at the flank and shouted out some orders. A group of eight charged Gavriel's wing. Their position would soon turn into a trap.
"Spiked wall!" Gavriel responded. Roach and another soldier made a wide attack and fell back. Two Defias waited with calculated precision and charged exactly during their retreat. But the other two soldiers awaited them with shields and jabbed with their swords. Two Defias fell, six more were pressuring them. Feigning charges, they pushed Gavriel and his men back. Their flank position was long lost.

The shields started to weigh heavily in the hands. Sword arms started to burn from fatigue. The defense was forced back without choice in the matter. Overconfident bandits charged and met their fate, but not without success. Gavriel cursed. Four remaining bandits stood against three, but Roach was singled out, keeping off two adversaries.
"Datas siditawata" Gavriel shouted, a coded order to his fellow soldier. The soldier dashed to the side, Gavriel mirrored him. As planned as their move was, so was that of their adversaries. A moment of confusion later, Gavriel stood isolated with a nasty cut on his shield arm. The soldier lay lifeless on the ground.

Another horn called a retreat signal over the hills. The weaponstorage was set ablaze.

Gavriel stumbled two steps back. Feigning a step to the right, he swung his torso back on his left feet and dodged the charging swords. He slammed one bandit against the other with his shield, using his body weight as much as he could where his arm faltered. One bandit fell, the other stumbled over him. A quick swing of Gavriel's blade later, the one on the ground met his fate. The last one jumped back and fled. The bandits fighting Roach decided he wasn't worth the risk and retreated.

Roach stumbled, breathing heavily towards Gav, too tired to pursue his adversaries. He let his sword fall out of his tired hands. He sunk to his knees and breathed deeply, trying to calm himself from the emotion. They had barely escaped death. Gavriel looked pained at large flames engulfing the weapon storage. This loss signaled a worse time to come.
"None of it was right, Chap. Something went looney, I tell ye. Let's see if the ol' chap has a sensisble thing te say on this."

----

Gav looked up at the commander.
- "Going by your tale, we were betrayed, Gav."
"Aye Chap.. Aye." Gav sighed.
- "But who? Could it be one of our men?"
Gavriel's mind started racing. He trusted his men with his life.
"Can't be the men, Chap.. Fightin' for our lives 'ere, we do. We need te trust eachother with our backs. Ye can either trust 'em blindly, or ye die."
- "Men died, Gav." The commander reproached him.
Gavriel sighed. "Aye, ol Chap."
- "Get your best man. We're not leaving this attack go by unanswered. I want you to sneak out and send them a signal."
The commander stared sincerely at Gavriel. Gav hated how the man tried to escape the brutality of what he asked. Sending a signal meant bloody work.
"Aye, ol Chap."
- "What about your sister, Gav? She seemed to know a few things."
"Ye lay a hand on her and ye'll have to worry about me more than her, ol Chap!"
- "That can be solved too."
"The fel ye be going all looney for, ol Chap!? The fel ye want from me?"
- "Just make sure that signal is clear Gav. You better come back with a job well done."
Gavriel grunted. He felt trapped. He couldn't leave his sister unguarded, yet this seemed to be exactly the intent of the commander. His mind paced. He had to find something else to focus their attention on.
"What about Sean, ol Chap?"
- "Sean?! Sean... " The commander placed a hand on his chin and thought. "Perhaps. But why?"
"I didn't like the look in his eyes when he left us, Chap."
- "That's a bit meager as reason, don't you think, Gavriel? Either way, if he's behind this, he'll be out there with them. Meanwhile, your job is to make sure your sister remains safe for now."

A moment later, Gavriel set out with Roach, keeping low and hiding as much as they could behind the hills as the landscape would permit them. Suddenly Roach signaled him to lay low. Ahead of them they could see a strange smoke rising, barely visible in the night.

----

Suzan had her bag packed. She peered out of the window that looked to the south, and saw a feint trace of smoke. She smiled broadly as her heart started pacing. Soon she'd be with her love again. The guards had been more active lately. She'd have to be careful when slipping out.

---

Gavriel crawled forward in the high grass. He prayed to the Light nobody would see the trail behind him. He could hear muffled voices from the small cove in the hill. Roach was approaching the camp from the right.
Before the alcove, there was a small kart. Gavriel crawled towards the kart, using its cover. They'd use a classic trick. He'd startle them, trying to take one out before they realise what was going on. Then he'd fall back and Roach would finish the job, attacking them from behind. He found a rock which looked like a usable projectile. Large but he could handle that. It was stuck a little under the wheel of the kart but he managed to yank it from under it. In response, the kart creaked and began to roll forward a little, exposing a sitting Gavriel. The masked company from the alcove immediately jumped up and reached for their blades.

---

Suzan slapped her brow. "I had almost forgotten the honey.. It might brighten his mood." Suzan smiled at the thought of the kisses she'd get as a thanks. She left her room in the inn and passed the common room on her way to the kitchen.
- "Gav's Sister! Suzan, was it?"
Suzan felt a glow rise to her head, as if she had been caught sneaking. Technically... She was. She turned on her heals and stared back at the Commander's eyes. He was giving her a very stern look.
- "Why don't you pour me and the boys some drinks, lass?"

---

Gavriel was thrown against the back of the alcove, three blades pointing at him. A tall man with brown hair seemed to be in charge and spoke up.
- "Well well... If it isn't good Sir Gavriel. Or is that 'Chap', for you?"
The man laughed softly.

Gavriel knew this adversary. He could turn this situation straight, or at least long enough to make a surprise attack. His opponent had a weakness for sweet words and flattery... Enough to talk him out of this. This would be a struggle that relied on the skill of the tongue. Unfortunately for Gavriel, that skill had always eluded him:
"Shitface?!"
The man's eyebrows frowned deeply and he jumped forward, kicking Gavriel in the stomach. Gavriel sank to his knees, gasping for air.
"I -HATE- that name! I'll kill you for that Gavriel! I always want-" the man shouted but suddenly stopped. A thud behind him made him turn. He faced a blood smeared Roach and the bodies of his companions falling down. Gavriel didn't loose a second of time. He dived forward and hit the man in the back of his knees. Shitface fell back and Gavriel grabbed his throat and kept the sword arm locked. Both started a death struggle with Gavriel on top making it impossible for Roach to help. Keeping an iron lock on the man's neck, Gavriel squeezed the man's neck arteries till he turned blue. He grunted in effort as he suppressed the man's struggle to survive, slowly squeezing the man's life out of him.

When the swollen eyes of the man lost all signs of life, Gav rolled on his back and gasped for air.
"Damn Chap. Damn. That was shitface!"
Roach pulled the man's mask back and confirmed the identity. Gav looked at him and shook his head. "Bad apple. I told ye."
Suddenly his eyes noticed a chain coming out of the man's pockets. Mesmerized, he grabbed the chain and cursed as he recognized the ruby heart.
"This is the bastard that attacked my Sister and took her ruby heart?! That damn bastard!"
Gavriel grabbed his knife from his belt.
"It's time to win that Royal Welcome."

---

Suzan prepared another mead and placed it on the counter. She looked outside the window. The guards had longed switched, her chance to escape was lost. She glanced at the man responsible for this, the commander, and noticed he was following her gaze and every move. She removed a strand of hair from her face and focused on her serving work.

Suddenly the door slammed open and there was Gavriel. The glow from the fireplace revealed his arms were covered in blood and even his lap was. The miliamen and commander turned to him.
"Chaps.. I got some news. I won that Royal Welcome."
Suzan turned quiet and looked at Gavriel. Something was wrong. She felt it.
"Guess what looney I found? Shitface! That bastard's been with them Defias looneys."
The men turned silent and listened intently. The Commander squinted his eyes. Roach entered and took position next to Gav, nodding to confirm every word.
"And I got him.. I cut that bastard's head right off, gutted him.. Then dragged him and his dangling entrails accross the camp for a yard and stuffed his head on a wooden pike!"
A few men laughed and cheered.
"The mead's on me!" he shouted and he walked to Suzan with a broad smile, under many loud cheers and congratulations of his men.

Suzan saw him grab something out of his pocket and slam the ruby heart on the counter with a bloodied hand.
"I got it back, lass. I got the bastard that stole this from ye. I got him real good. That'll teach 'm ey?"
Then everything turned black before her eyes. Only a muffled voice still reached her ears.
"The fel she fainted for? Ye'd think she'd be happy."

Jeanpierre
Jeanpierre

Back to top Go down

Post by Valerias Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:35 pm

Ach, I just finished this - a sad tale! But I did like it very much, both the story itself and the feeling it gave of soldiering in Westfall.
Valerias
Valerias

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeanpierre Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:21 pm

Valerias wrote:Ach, I just finished this - a sad tale! But I did like it very much, both the story itself and the feeling it gave of soldiering in Westfall.

Ahh, but.. it isn't entirely finished yet Very Happy Who knows, maybe it won't end so bad after all? Wink
I've just been consumed by other roleplaying stories to continue this one but the story is in my head already.
Jeanpierre
Jeanpierre

Back to top Go down

Post by Valerias Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:39 pm

Oh! I suppose that was me being morbid to think that was the ending. Looking forward to more eventually then Wink
Valerias
Valerias

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeanpierre Thu May 05, 2011 4:05 pm

Part 5, trapped

Gavriel didn't understand what was going. One moment, everything in his life seemed to fall in one place. The next moment, everything turned into chaos. The Commander has shouted a few names, and suddenly Gavriel was flanked by two of his own militia. A third one took place behind him and stood ready to assist. His sister still laid on the floor, two more militia looming over, trying to shake her awake. Gavriel turned around slowly, his face turning red with fury.
"The Fel is the meaning of this?!"
- "I've heard enough!" shouted the Commander. "Guys, take him out, guard him. As for his sister.. get her locked in the block."

Gavriel bursted out roar and curse so loud that the few villagers in the room fled. Gavriel lauched forward, heading straight for the Commander but his guards were prepared. Two grabbed his shoulders and the third one ducked, aiming his shoulder in Gav's stomach. With a loud crack in the wood, Gavriel and his guards hit the counter behind him. Before even taking a breath, Gavriel spun his right arm free and aimed its elbow at the guard right of him. He planted his knee hard in the guard before him who sunk to the ground, and Gavriel made ready to assault the guard on his left. The unexpected violence in his retalliation caught them by surprise, but not that long. Before his right fist struck, Gav found his vision blurring and his stomach shrinking in pain. For a moment everything seemed to spin around. Then he felt the touch of cold grass on his face.

Crawling up, he found himself encircled by his own team. A few started leaning back and shouted words of caution and threats to back off. Clearly nobody was in the mood to fight but nobody would let Gavriel run around like a raging bull. In the distance he could hear the clunks of metal locking someone in the block.
"The fel are ye lads doing! Ye're all looney! That's my sister damnit!"
A few militia men jumped to the side, making way for the Commander who barged in and aimed a hard right hook at Gavriel without a moment's hesitation.
- "Mark, Frank, John.. How many more names must I say Gav! How much blood is on the hands of your sister!? We found our mole. It's her! Damn you Gav! You brought a mole!"
Gavriel struggled in his recovery from the plated fist that hit his head. Hearing his sister shout and cry in the distance drove him mad.
"That's looney! You touch her and I'll cut your heart out."

Clever words never were Gavriel's strongpoint. He found himself cuffed a minute later, thrown on the ground in front of his sister. The commander grabbed him by the hair and pulled his head up so he'd see his sister and she'd see him. Then he drew his blade and held it under Gavriel's neck.
- "Now, lass... Suzan, was it? Start talking."
Gavriel tried to move a little, but the Commander replied by pressing the blade harder against his neck. Breathing briskly through his nose, he stared at Suzan.

A group of militia had kept a small distance. Both curiosity as well as concern for the evolution of this event had them staring silently at the scene.

---

Suzan struggled to focus her mind. Suddenly she was locked in a wooden plank, planted firmly in the ground on two poles. Her brother was on his knees before her, the Commander's blade on his neck. But more than all the confusion combined, she felt pain. Jonas.. Her dear Jonas. This monster, not calling him brother anymore, murdered the man that kept her breathing. She didn't know if she could continue without him. She started crying but the Commander urged to talk, adding a few pointless threats. She stopped caring... If it would end her life and that of her brother, then so it would be.

"I love him. I loved him more than anything. I cared more for him that the lot of you. I was to visit him tonight, by a small alcove in a hill."

Gavriel stared at her, his frown growing ever deeper till he was the living image of anger. She had seen him stare like that before, but never at her. Fear creeped into her like she were a child facing the greatest wrath of her father. She shook it off with her own anger at Gavriel for murdering the man she loved.
"You damned maniac! You murdered him! He was going to marry me.. The only man that I loved... My... Jonas." She let her head hang and weep.

Gavriel's expression changed to confusion. Risking a cut on his neck, he blurted out "Jonas? Who?"
The Commander didn't waste a moment.
- "For crying out loud Gavriel! He used a fake name, no doubt. Surely she means Seamus. What did he look like? What about this necklace?"
Gavriel remained silent. It didn't take much wit to realize he'd best stay quiet. Suzan looked up.
"Seamus? No.. His name was Jonas! This necklace was mine... I gave it to him."
- "What did he look like?" shouted the commander.
"Dark hair.. thin nose.."
- "Clear enough!" shouted the commander. He started dragging Gavriel back by his hair, dropped him and approached Suzan again with his blade held up.
- "Chap! She didn't say Seamus.. Chap.. My sister wouldn't like a chap like shitface! You Bastard! Don't!"
The Commander positioned himself on the side of the prisoner block.
- "I'll prove it!" shouted Gavriel, desperately.
The Commander shrugged it off and raised his blade, ready to decapitate.

The group of militia started murmuring. Roached stepped forward.
- "Oh come on Commander! Give'm a chance! That's Gav.. half of us be'd dead if it weren't for 'im."
The barrier was broken, and the rest started murmuring louder or shouting their disapproval. A few shouted to give Gavriel a chance. Many more shouted for Suzan. Apparently Suzan had won more than just a smile from these men.

The Commander stared back, and grunted as he lowered his blade, looking at his men like a teacher over reluctant students.
- "Get him out of my sight. He has till morning.. or they're both dead."
A few of the boys ran to Gav, Roach first, and helped him out of the cuffs.

Gavriel looked at Roach while rubbing his wrists.
"We better hurry chap.. "
- "Ye know what to do?"
"Aye." he grunted. "Time te get his head."
Jeanpierre
Jeanpierre

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeanpierre Fri May 06, 2011 2:48 pm

The sky was turning a little paler when Gavriel and Roach returned. They carried a bloodied bundle of cloth. Suzan lifted her tear-scraped face and was forced to look. Gavriel held out the head, almost proudly and basking in confidence. The eyes were rolled back in the skull, the mouth had fallen open, and the tongue was dangling out. The pale skin and the smears of blood completed the image that completely horrified Suzan. She screamed in disgust.

But it was soon followed by many more cries. "It's not him! It's not him! It's not Jonas."
Gavriel threw the head on the ground with a triumphant smile, letting it roll right under Suzan's nose. Two screams later, Gav grabbed the head and tried to calm Suzan.

But the Commander didn't ordered her release. Instead he called Gav and Roach for a talk.
- "So how did the necklace get in his hands, Gav?"
"What are ye saying, Chap?! I got ye the head, now what?"
- "I'm just saying, Gav, the pieces don't fit. Your sister confessed to meet with a man, who bore this necklace. How did it get in the hands of Seamus?"
"The fel do I know Chap."
- "He's still out there, Gav." the Commander replied, measuring Gavriel's reaction.
- "Find me this Jonas."
Gav rolled his eyes.
"The fel do I do that?"
- "Well he's clearly around, isn't he?"

Gav grumbled and swore loudly. He nodded at Roach who followed him obediently. A new hunt would begin.

---

A soft wind was scurrying across the grassy hills of Westfall. Leaves of grass waved in the wind, granting a good indication of its direction and strength. Gavriel popped his head above a hill and surveyed a ragety camp of Defias bandits. They had sneaked far south, far beyond the reach and safety of Sentinel Hill. The camp looked busy. A few men were treating what little armor and weaponry they had. One man was cooking a sort of stew. A small band was roughing up a pack of farmers. Two farmers were bound to a pole, kneeling on the ground.

"Too many, Roach?"
- "Aye, Gav. Twelve.. and a cook I count."
Gav smiled at Roach.
"How hard can ye run, Chap?"
Roach shook his head.
- "Too dangerous 'ere, Gav."
"Think I can walk in? Pretend I've been sent by Shitface, I would.. Show 'm the necklace, aye?". He reached for the necklace in his pocket.
- "I doubt you could talk your way into anything, Gav, except a bar fight."
Gav looked at the camp again.
"I'll sneak in, stay ready. And Chap.. Make a lot 'o noise if they find me."

Gavriel's lack of subtlety was well covered by the high grass and the ruffling of the leaves in the wind. The line of his tracks was visible in the grass from high up, but it covered his approach for people on the ground.

---

The cook hummed softly and stirred the cooking pot. He turned around and grabbed some herbs which he chopped and threw in the mix. He continued to stir the stew.
- "That ought to keep 'em boys up."

He heard a noise to the left and turned immediately, looking at one of the tents. Something must have been behind it. He grabbed a large knife from his tools and approached the tent. Slowly he approached it, praying to see another day again. When he reached the tent he suddenly jumped from behind its corner and shouted a battle cry.
- "Yaaargh!"
But he didn't see a thing. Another noise was made a little further. It sounded like a muffled footstep. He walked on. He could feel his heart pulse and cut off his breath. He jumped behind another tent, silently now, but didn't find any adversary. Nothing was to be seen. Laughing at his own paranoia he returned to his cooking pot, added some extra herbs and continued stirring the pot.

---

Gavriel tapped Roach on the shoulder.
- "What did ye do?"
"Found some shit by the horses and a dead rat. Should make em sick by tonight if they eat in time." He nodded at the camp. Roach saw the cook humming around his pot as if it were a joy. Roach couldn't help but smile.

---

Gavriel's trick hadn't missed its effect. By nightfall, most of the camp had eaten the food and realized there was a problem. Four men were laying in the grass, puking and moaning. Two were squat behind the tents. A small fight broke out between the cook and four others. Two were left to guard the captives. Roach and Gavriel advanced the camp from the west side, fearing the guards wouldn't only be more alert, but the captives on the east side were unpredictable. If they caught wind of a possible escape, they could shout and plead for help, causing more noise than welcome.

The approached the fight between the cook and the four others.
- "Maybe a bird dropped the rat in!" shouted the cook.
- "Not even a bird would touch that! If this is your idea of revenge for what we did with Lilly, you're sick!"
The men made a lot of noise and became rousy. One started pushing the cook. He pushed back and started swinging his large spoon. Another jumped in between, but ended up knocking against the cook too hardly. A fight broke out between the three. The remaining two shouting and pleading to stop.

Gav and Roach ran in. Attacking from behind, with their knives, they took out the two men standing, stabbing them in the back. Roach pushed his victim on the fighting group, causing the fighters to tumble on the ground. He continued his assault and charged in with his knife. Gavriel struggled with his man however, and stumbled in later. His new adversary had enough time to see him. Gavriel jumped on top of him, stabbing the man in the chest, laying an arm over the man's neck. Despite the injury, the man clawed and stomped back desperately, scratching Gavriel's arm and face to a bloody mess, until the man's final breath ended with a bloody puddle in his mouth.
The cook tried to swing his spoon at Roach and hit him on the side. Seeing the futility of this attack, he resolved to shouting. Roach made quick work of his adversary and moved to silence the cook.

But the alarm was raised. Two came running from behind the tents, struggling with their stomachs. One stopped halfway, crouching in pain. The other started moaning heavily and reached for his stomach. Roach grabbed his second knife and charged in on the weakened men. Gavriel turned around and faced the direction of the guards. One of them was approaching. Some of the prisoners started making noise.

The guard was better armed and the scratches on Gav's arm and face were hindering his thinking. In a feeble attempt to create confusion he lifted the ruby necklace from his pocket, and spoke what may have seemed clever to his standards:
"Shitface sent me!"
- "Who the fel is shitface?"
Gav launched the necklace at the soldier and jumped after it with his dagger. The brief moment of hesitation proved fatal to the guard. The second one saw the fight and ran in. A prisoner by the poles extended a leg, tripping the last guard. Gavriel loomed over him and slit his throat, grunting from the effort and the bloody mess.

"Roach?"
- "It's fine over here Gav."
Gav didn't bother to look at his friend and moved back to retrieve his necklace. He fumbled the chain when suddenly the prisoner who extended his leg spoke.
- "That... belongs to me..."
Gav laughed grimly.
"Ye looney... This is mine, Chap. Well, my sister's. Killed the last looney that took it, I did. Chopped his head and gutted him. Ye sure ye want to try me when ye're bound to a pole?"
- "Gavriel Bloomfield?"
"Jonas?"
The prisoner nodded.
Jeanpierre
Jeanpierre

Back to top Go down

Post by Valerias Sat May 21, 2011 12:07 pm

This is a cracking good story. I'm really fond of Gav, of his easy nature and his down-to-earth loyalties, and also of your writing! The pace keeps me so interested, and I really -did- think Gav had murdered his sister's lover and that all was going to hell. I'm looking forward to more!
Valerias
Valerias

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeanpierre Mon May 23, 2011 4:09 pm

Ohh thank you for these words Smile It's certainly encouraging to keep on writing!
Jeanpierre
Jeanpierre

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down