Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Plans for Education.

+6
Raelo/Lucanor
Zinkle Figgins
Valerias
Magaskawee/Anaei
Jazzle
Osmand
10 posters

Go down

Plans for Education. Empty Plans for Education.

Post by Osmand Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:24 pm

Propsal for a nation wide regulated education:

There is currently no coherent nation wide education system for all children of Stormwind and nearby towns. This increases disparaty between children, not based their financial situation or place of birth instead of their abilities.
Some children don't even recieve education, severely handicaping them in their adult life or careers. This hits orphans in perhaps the most tragic reality of our society. Parents whom have already given our society their lives in service, also give us their children.
We cannot set aside the trust and responsibility of that which is given.
To improve the education of all children we are confronted with several challenges.
Laws must be established to ensure and improve nation wide education for all children. But also a body must be formed to supervise these laws and operate the education system.

My proposals concern both, though.. both can be discussed separatedly and do not rely on one another. This separation of concerns could perhaps be seen as a suggestion in its own right.

Proposal for Laws of Education:

(1) A program of education must be established at all times and be approved by the council or, if granted that power, its minister of education.

(2) Any school or institution can obtain an official recognition only if they teach the officially established educational program. They are permitted to teach more.

(3) Every child is obliged follow the officially established educational program from the age of 7 till the age of 16.

(4) A child is not allowed to skip classes except in accordance with the official terms of absence.

(5) Every child has to be tested and certified by an official appointed by the council upon successful completion of the education program.

Proposal for terms of absence:

A student may skip a class only under the following terms:
(1) the course is not part of the official education program. In case of dispute, an official may be asked to judge the course material.

(2) the student is not physically fit for the course. In case of dispute, an official or medic may be asked to judge the student's condition.

(3) the working conditions are unfit for the course. In case of dispute, an official or guard will be asked to judge the working conditions.

Proposal for practical organization:

It is perhaps recommended to create a "board of education", an organ constructed solely to assist the council in the management of:
- the applications from schools for official recognition
- making, organising and testing the final tests which all children must pass at the end of the entire educational program.
- making and signing the certificates for all students that have passed these tests.
- any controls required to ensure schoolds follow the established standards
- establishing a program of education

However, the board is merely an administrative organ and all its actions can be undone, its decisions revoked, its choices controlled by the council or, if granted that power, its minister of education. The board must be able to report of all its actions and files to the council at all times.

Proposal for a nation wide education program:

The currently proposed program covers 10 years of education, each year covering about 1600 hours of education. This is a top level view of what the program should be about. The program should include:
- Teaching the Common language, reading, writing and important literature.
- A study of the Light, its basic principles, important literature and how it can be part of daily life.
- Physical development, to ensure children grow a healthy body and are fit.
- Teaching in art and self expression. This may prove quite beneficial for children to express their emotions, dreams and increase their interest in the world.
- History.
- Geography.
- Biology
- Arithmatic and geometry
- The laws of Stormwind.
- The races and factions of the Alliance.
- Practical education in travelling.
- Basic arms training.
- Basic military or militia tactical education.
- Economy.

Signed Brother Osmand Lightguard. Minister for Education.

Glory Under the Light

((gotta say big thanks to Jean-Pierre cause he basically did all of this and its awesome so well done jean-pierre ty your a legend.))
Osmand
Osmand

Character sheet
Name: Brother Osmand Lightguard
Title: Abbot

Back to top Go down

Plans for Education. Empty Re: Plans for Education.

Post by Jazzle Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:35 pm

Your first course of action should really be: Build a school in Stormwind.
Jazzle
Jazzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Magaskawee/Anaei Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:16 pm

*Vezullia sits back in her desk and lays the proposals down, she drops two small white tablets into some water. AS they fizz she sips and sighs.*

"This is going to cost.. so much money.."
Magaskawee/Anaei
Magaskawee/Anaei

Character sheet
Name: Magaskawee Grimtotem
Title: Elder Crone of the Banner of the Bloodhoof

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:18 am

-Ha! Now everyone, from lazy street bum to the King's son will be FORCED to study everything this so-called ministry desires to throw at them... *Sigh* Where are the good ol' days when I had to work very hard before they even allowed me into the abbey library.

The old man smiled slightly, raising an eyebrow as he red further.

-And what in holy nether is biology?!

Back to top Go down

Post by Valerias Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:16 am

Rohwyn settles down on the edge of the lake, reading over the proposals that were handed out at the council meeting. She pauses, tracing a finger beneath a line, and then closes her eyes and sighs.

Nationwide education? What about the farmers? What about the tradesmen? Until sixteen? Oh, Light... she was going to have to have a conversation with the minister of education.
Valerias
Valerias

Character sheet
Name: 'Lady' Vale
Title: courtesan

Back to top Go down

Post by Zinkle Figgins Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:28 am

Tsk, what a bunch of pansies. The street is the only teacher we need.
Zinkle Figgins
Zinkle Figgins

Character sheet
Name: Razgash Gronnbane
Title: Warbringer

Back to top Go down

Post by Raelo/Lucanor Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:36 pm

(( I don't want to discourage anyone, but doesn't this go a bit far? I mean, a medieval-like society such as Stormwind wouldn't likely spend a lot of money on education. Why spend money to teach every kid history or biology? Basic arms training, religion, basic law and perhaps basic writing and arithmatic I can understand, but higher science would probably be something for the nobility and clergy, normal kids would learn a normal job from their parents or a tutor instead. Also, perhaps this basic education would be best carried out by the clergy, as I doubt there are many professional teachers.
I don't want to burn down the entire idea, but imho this plan certainly could be improved))
Raelo/Lucanor
Raelo/Lucanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Ledgic Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:46 pm

((Frankly this simply isn't affordable :p))
Ledgic
Ledgic

Character sheet
Name: Ledgic Kaden Caan
Title: Leader of The Old Town Syndicate

Back to top Go down

Post by Melnerag Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:48 pm

This thing can of course be discussed in-game. People can agree or disagree, support it or tear it down. However from the OOC perspective I somewhat disagree with the way this is done and presented. First of all, this has almost no consequences on the Role-play 'in the world'. Secondly, one could raise the question of how to fund and stuff such an epic-scaled programme in a society engulfed in 8 years of continuous war.

At last, Stormwind is an agrarian economy and I would image that during land-works no sane parent would send their child to school considering the need for extra hands. Children are also employed at the bottom of manufacture-process, so a tailor would unlikely send his son to a -school- instead of employing him as an apprentice, or sending him as an apprentice to another master.

So, I think:
1) These suggestions should fit more with the setting
2) Should have practical consequences for the role-play in one way or another. (if you organize a peasant riot against those measures, that also counts as consequences Smile )
Melnerag
Melnerag

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:58 pm

Besides.

90% of WoW population goes to school, would they want EVEN MORE SCHOOL after school? xD

Back to top Go down

Post by Melnerag Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:02 pm

Depends! If it is a witch-hunting school, I wouldn't mind. But evil council denies witch-hunting! *shakes fist*
Melnerag
Melnerag

Back to top Go down

Post by Geldar Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:04 pm

Some of the suggestions are good, others just dont fit in the setting because there are certain subjects that only nobles would be allowed to learn or can afford to learn. Not to mention children helping around the households and the farms as a big portion of the population is set in the regions around Stormwind. Overall good suggestions but it needs some more fine tunning to make the things feel realistic in the medievil setting we RP in.

For instance, I wouldnt mind teaching military tactics and history and different aspects of the army system to the kiddies!

Last edited by Geldar on Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Geldar
Geldar

Character sheet
Name: Geldar Angelos
Title: Justicar

Back to top Go down

Post by Osmand Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:05 pm

Well yes I suppose I better reply Very Happy

Well basically I had in mind a body that rps itself as a board for Education but of course because people cant rp as a 7 year old going to school it wouldnt really have any practical in game power.

I dont think it should cost much its not like were opening new schools or anything, as I stated before in my origional proposals I want it to be free so the teachers would all be priests and people willing to do it for free.
I do admit looking back some of the subjects probably will be scraped as they are a bit noble for poor people.
And I presume Osmand has some money to spend regarding his Ministry if he didnt well then whats he ment to do?
The board of Education thing would be set up by me or Jean-Pierre, and it wouldnt cost money it would be voluntary thing PTA.

Regarding Nationwide it would only hold true in Stormwind Elynn Duskwood Redridge, in towns and so on.

And i have had some people say that it would mean people wont be able to rp as knights etc, well Icly not every child runs off to be a knight some need basic education.

I also should have included something about trades, I should have put in If a child wants to do a trade well then he would probably be exempt from most of school.

Tried to answer a lot there but i prob missed stuff.
Osmand
Osmand

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Melnerag Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:09 pm

Just a suggestion:

Church offers -1- day of school a week, in which children are taught to Read&Write, History, Rights&Duties(law). And local marshall offers militia-training for those well-enough.

Then you can always arrange with Omanos/Geldar/Renhali/Maelmoor to hold Militia-trainings for people who want to RP receiving military training. And you can always hold lectures about the Light,Law and History yourself. That way the thing is both somewhat realistic, and practically-appliable to a degree.
Melnerag
Melnerag

Back to top Go down

Post by Osmand Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:11 pm

im not allowed preach but I am sure a disciple would do it.
Osmand
Osmand

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Melnerag Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:12 pm

Preahing and teaching are two different things though. As long as you handle History and Law, you are not preaching.
Melnerag
Melnerag

Back to top Go down

Post by Magaskawee/Anaei Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:27 pm

Imanuel wrote:Just a suggestion:

Church offers -1- day of school a week, in which children are taught to Read&Write, History, Rights&Duties(law). And local marshall offers militia-training for those well-enough.

Then you can always arrange with Omanos/Geldar/Renhali/Maelmoor to hold Militia-trainings for people who want to RP receiving military training. And you can always hold lectures about the Light,Law and History yourself. That way the thing is both somewhat realistic, and practically-appliable to a degree.

I like this.
Magaskawee/Anaei
Magaskawee/Anaei

Character sheet
Name: Magaskawee Grimtotem
Title: Elder Crone of the Banner of the Bloodhoof

Back to top Go down

Post by Geldar Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:37 pm

As I said, I`d love to teach combat preperations, military scripture, training and tactics so I can help out 100% with this if needed, just poke me.
Geldar
Geldar

Character sheet
Name: Geldar Angelos
Title: Justicar

Back to top Go down

Post by Osmand Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:10 pm

You know Imanuel's idea is actually very good, i will look into doing that yes.
Osmand
Osmand

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeanpierre Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:55 am

I'm quite happy with the feedback on this. Remarks on the setting and how it impacts RP are a big help for a rather new RP'er like me who's still learning to work into this rp community. Thanks!

As for the plan itself... I deliberately did not include the practical execution of the education plan. There were 2 reasons:
1) Much like Osmand I did not believe there would be actual school and teaching kids RP. I focused on the political 'board' instead since it seems this idea of Osmand sparked up a lot of political RP already.
2) Any practical execution would impact other people's RP where I, as a newbie, still walk on thin ice.

ICly my stance on this proposal was not "how can we fund this?" but "what does every child need?". Even farmers need economy to properly trade their harvest. Where would Westfall be without its people's militia?

For the virtual execution there were ideas but I didn't include them in the lengthy proposal. Perhaps this is a good time to reveal them, though I would understand if this doesn't change the stance on this plan:
- I was considering replacing the final 2 years (age 14-16) of this education plan with a work rotation scheme. Children enlist for a job as apprentice for 4 months (or so) and change to a new job after that period. They could help in the stables, the smiths, the farms.. etc. The rotation provides 'cheap/free' labor to the teachers/masters and cheap/free education for the children. Children can explore different careers. Another advantage is added versatility of the population. If a town has a temporary need for one particular job, it could find suitable help in its own population. For beleagered towns in wow, this seemed like a good idea to handle emergencies needing builders, harvesters, smiths etc..
- Every town would be responsible for integrating the program in the life of their children according to their situation. No school during harvest month, for example. Also it would be a waste to send a "biology" teacher to a farmtown: they are probably our masters. Rather they could use some economy, so a town like Westfall with its own militia etc would perhaps only need a light/history/economy teacher and could provide the rest through their lifestyle or local residents.
- Merely to cut costs and reduce the amount of teachers needed, some classes could be joined. 1 year a teacher would give "history" to 3-4 years of students. The other year he teaches "The Light" to 3-4 years of students. It would be thematic years.

Looking at the feedback already given, I see that these ideas wouldn't change the lack of real world rp integration. I have no problems with scratching these suggestions OOCly and starting over Razz
It's been fun making it, proposing it and it will be fun seeing it burned to the ground in RP style.

Imanuel's and Geldar's suggestions would probably contribute more this RP community. Osmand, if there is a way I could contribute to the followup on this, I would love to Smile
Jeanpierre
Jeanpierre

http://www.disciplesoflight.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by Osmand Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:16 pm

Jeanpierre/Jeanclaude wrote:I'm quite happy with the feedback on this. Remarks on the setting and how it impacts RP are a big help for a rather new RP'er like me who's still learning to work into this rp community. Thanks!

As for the plan itself... I deliberately did not include the practical execution of the education plan. There were 2 reasons:
1) Much like Osmand I did not believe there would be actual school and teaching kids RP. I focused on the political 'board' instead since it seems this idea of Osmand sparked up a lot of political RP already.
2) Any practical execution would impact other people's RP where I, as a newbie, still walk on thin ice.

ICly my stance on this proposal was not "how can we fund this?" but "what does every child need?". Even farmers need economy to properly trade their harvest. Where would Westfall be without its people's militia?

For the virtual execution there were ideas but I didn't include them in the lengthy proposal. Perhaps this is a good time to reveal them, though I would understand if this doesn't change the stance on this plan:
- I was considering replacing the final 2 years (age 14-16) of this education plan with a work rotation scheme. Children enlist for a job as apprentice for 4 months (or so) and change to a new job after that period. They could help in the stables, the smiths, the farms.. etc. The rotation provides 'cheap/free' labor to the teachers/masters and cheap/free education for the children. Children can explore different careers. Another advantage is added versatility of the population. If a town has a temporary need for one particular job, it could find suitable help in its own population. For beleagered towns in wow, this seemed like a good idea to handle emergencies needing builders, harvesters, smiths etc..
- Every town would be responsible for integrating the program in the life of their children according to their situation. No school during harvest month, for example. Also it would be a waste to send a "biology" teacher to a farmtown: they are probably our masters. Rather they could use some economy, so a town like Westfall with its own militia etc would perhaps only need a light/history/economy teacher and could provide the rest through their lifestyle or local residents.
- Merely to cut costs and reduce the amount of teachers needed, some classes could be joined. 1 year a teacher would give "history" to 3-4 years of students. The other year he teaches "The Light" to 3-4 years of students. It would be thematic years.

Looking at the feedback already given, I see that these ideas wouldn't change the lack of real world rp integration. I have no problems with scratching these suggestions OOCly and starting over Razz
It's been fun making it, proposing it and it will be fun seeing it burned to the ground in RP style.

Imanuel's and Geldar's suggestions would probably contribute more this RP community. Osmand, if there is a way I could contribute to the followup on this, I would love to Smile

poke me in game and we can chat Very Happy
Osmand
Osmand

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down