Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

/roll systems

4 posters

Go down

/roll systems Empty /roll systems

Post by Reynard Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:23 am

I've seen the stats on the House of Yore dudes on their OOC tabs on TRP3. Can anyone explain how that system works?

Also, does anyone else use a different system, and how does yours work?

(We're just wondering about maybe using a system inside the House of Cards and are looking for options).
Reynard
Reynard

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

/roll systems Empty Re: /roll systems

Post by Guest Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:10 am

Unless I'm mistaken due to how long ago it was, I believe the HoY are using a roll system me and Charlie came up with together a while ago. Not sure how much it has changed since we came up with it though.

I can go into a bit of detail with what I can remember if you want, unless Charlie comes in to explain it better. After all, he is the GM of the two of us so the system is a bigger thing to him as a whole.

Back to top Go down

Post by Webbles Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:34 pm

If you can't be bothered with stats or feel that too many numbers break your immersion, you could simply use 50+ for success and 1-49 for failure, and apply common sense so that RNG doesn't turn everyone's characters into noobs who can't hit a target at point blank range, or if the target was just struck to the ground by someone else.

This has basically been the default system in all/most guilds originating from TVC, and both ToB and WoA still use it most of the time.
Webbles
Webbles

Character sheet
Name: Webbles Boozeboat
Title: Her Majesty

http://thescarlet.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Reynard Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:42 pm

Webbles wrote:If you can't be bothered with stats or feel that too many numbers break your immersion, you could simply use 50+ for success and 1-49 for failure, and apply common sense so that RNG doesn't turn everyone's characters into noobs who can't hit a target at point blank range, or if the target was just struck to the ground by someone else.

This has basically been the default system in all/most guilds originating from TVC, and both ToB and WoA still use it most of the time.

It's a bit complex though. Wink

I've run a few events with WoA and so am familiar with it (not that it takes much to pick up!!). It does seem to work well.

I think it would still be of interest for someone (Hutch or Charlie maybe) to post the more complex/complete system that HoY use - as a reference. Maybe it deserves its own thread with that system in the first post.
Reynard
Reynard

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Charlie Blazesong Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:03 pm

A brief guide to Charlie and Hutchins roll system:
This was intended for combat use, not for skill checks. It can be used for skill checks aka picking locks, stealth, detection etc. but this was not the use we had in mind when making it. Your results may vary.

Basic rules:
Roll 1-30
bonus points up to 10 points  in any skill you want(as in a total of 10 points)
The +10 can be considered a freebie. You can adjust the 10 points differently than shown in the example below.
Example:
Charlie is an experienced fire mage. He gets +10 to a roll everytime he uses fire magic.
Sebastian is a seasoned warrior and gets +5 in melee attack and +5 in defence.

Once you’ve spent your freebie 10 points you can change other stats as well, however for this you must suffer an equal amount of points in minus. Example below:

Charlie is also well versed in the arcane, however his copious amount of time studying this has made him less proficient in frost. +5 arcane -5 frost.

For skill checks we just used /roll for it and the GM (me) usually made a threshold that had to beat, for example:
Rogue in the group wants to pick a lock, the lock is quite difficult so he has to roll above 60 to open it up. If you roll above 60, you do it. 80+, you did great. 100 and you pretty much made it look like the thing wasn’t locked at all to others watching you. And of course if you don’t meet the threshold you fail and for every 20 below the original threshold you make things worse.
Roll below 40? Your lock pick breaks. 20? Part of the broken lock pick flies up into your eye. Roll a 1 and all of the above and you just broke the lock too, meaning even if you got the key it’ll be difficult to make that work.

Now the roll system has been brought back up, me and Seb have been chatting about it and other things we can do with it. We’re trying to keep it from being too complex, but just considering some things like “person with a shield has better defence because shield” type stuff. We’re also discussing how this system may be used to represent character growth in general, such as someone learning how to properly fight in melee, although we’re unsure how we’d implement that and keep it sort of “fair” with the pluses and minuses.

If people are interested after seeing the above please let us know, we’ll try and figure out a way to word it all more clearly for an actual forum post and detail how to use the 1-30 system in more ways than just combat.

P.S Hutchins wrote a lot more than I did, but he insisted I posted for whatever reason.

Oh yeah forgot to add this:
For Hitpoints:
cloth: 6
leather: 8
mail: 10
plate: 12
health above 5 is considered armourpoints, meaning a warrior won't take any actual damage to his or her person before they're down at 5 hit points(if you get hit it hurts, but you're not actually taking injuries before you're down to 5 after that you're gonna need a healer.)
reaching 0HP does NOT mean you're dead. You're knocked out at best, at worst you're bleeding out and need a healer. It is never a good thing and you'll need someone to do some patching up.
Note: Since anything above 5 is armour points. Healers can't actually heal it. For that you actually need to get it repaired(A blacksmith might have a quick solution for it but never make it a good as new fix. Think MacGyver).

We also had additional things for Demon Hunters and Death Knights but I don't think we need to go into detail about that just now. if people want a forum-post we can elaborate on this further.
Charlie Blazesong
Charlie Blazesong

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhena Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:46 pm

Great job Charlie. Just pointing out here that some (Yorians mostly) have added minus points to this, though these of course are just some extra.
Rhena
Rhena

Character sheet
Name: Rhena Oxley
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Reynard Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:54 pm

Thanks Charlie.

So how do you "take damage" against those HP? Is that simply 1 point each time you're hit in combat? Or would you perhaps have varying degrees of damage, based on monster strength - e.g. a normal orc does 1 HP damage but a giant may do 3? Obviously up to the DM for each encounter.

I'm definitely interested in seeing this fleshed out.
Reynard
Reynard

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:01 pm

It can be varying degrees based on what you're fighting, what's happening etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down